Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why are people against a LFG Tool

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why are people against a LFG Tool

Mykander's Avatar


Mykander
12.21.2011 , 04:27 PM | #261
Quote: Originally Posted by SexyJuliana View Post
The LFD is a success in wow, sort of. If your only criteria for success is making things FAST. In fact it had created an accepted atmosphere of not caring about other players because the attitude of "I will never see these people again, why should I care if I act terrible?" You see it in the forums ALL the time.

I've been a tank in WoW since vanilla and in WotLK the mindset had gotten so bad at the end of that expansion, LFD was just to see if we could finish an instance in 5 min or less. Queue, enter instance, start yelling "GO GO GO TANK" "PULL MORE TANK", aoe it all down and leave. If I even stopped to loot something as a tank, hunters are MDing to me and mages pulling crap, but WHO CARES? I WONT SEE YOU AGAIN!!

I don't know, maybe a bad example, but it just creates a community of people who just don't care about their actions to others. If this was something that was SERVER SPECIFIC I think it would be more accepted by the WoW players who seem so against it just as a general addition to the game. But I feel like, if it is implemented server specific, people will STILL complain and want it game wide.

I came to this game because I wanted something different from wow for a while. I loved that game for over 5 years, but I am ready for change. So far, I think this game is doing fine, for the most part.
In my random thread pop-in, you happened to be the last post on the subject, so I'll ask you: Can you back any of that up or are you relying on the "I said it is so, therefor it is and some people on a forum agreed with me" argument style?

In other news, I went to a forum where people said they were abducted by aliens, so the whole argument is moot since we're being invaded by body snatchers.

udalan's Avatar


udalan
12.21.2011 , 05:59 PM | #262
Quote: Originally Posted by Enistre View Post
Also, I think people begging an MMO community to meet their social needs status quo should be forced to spend time with -real- people outside of a game. I think the MMO experience, for these social aspect begging people, should be forced to socially interact more... With real people, so they don't need it so bad in game.

I play a multiplayer game instead of a single-player game because of the interaction with other people, and I would use the word social to describe the interaction.

To infer that I have no social contact and require it from a game, to me, seems like you are just dismissing my personal opinion as flawed because you have viewed me as some douche sitting at his computer with nothing else to do.

It also, in my opinion, furthers my argument. The more anonymous people are, the less consequences people have, the less they care about their social or anti-social activity. If you knew me IRL, or were arguing with me in real life, there is no way you would have said that.

I want interraction with other players from this game, I will forgoe convieniance and speed and instant gratification in order for a longer-lasting nicer community and a greater sense of delayed gratification.
I personally feel no instant-dungeon-finder ala WoW is one way to help this along.
Nom nom nom

FerrusPA's Avatar


FerrusPA
12.21.2011 , 06:02 PM | #263
Quote: Originally Posted by udalan View Post
I want interraction with other players from this game, I will forgoe convieniance and speed and instant gratification in order for a longer-lasting nicer community and a greater sense of delayed gratification.
Clearly you aren't yet jaded enough. Try PUGing, especially as a Healer or Tank.
December Pre-Order Best Pre-Order
Proud Guildmaster of Two Swords One Box. Apply now!

Thread = Faden Threat = Drohung

xxGranzxx's Avatar


xxGranzxx
12.21.2011 , 06:06 PM | #264
The point of a MMO is to play with people. Find a great guild that every night you play together. You kill stuff together. You progress together and you won't need a LFG tool. Honestly I didn't even use the LFG in WoW I just played with my friends. Find friends and play the game how it should be played.

Rhamen's Avatar


Rhamen
12.21.2011 , 06:08 PM | #265
We need a lfg tool to place us in a que for a flashpoint. if you dont like it dont use it, for those of us who play at odd times it is a great tool.

Hanging out in the starport for 1+ hours to maybe find a group is horrid. I would rather level my toon and get a que prompt.

udalan's Avatar


udalan
12.21.2011 , 06:33 PM | #266
Quote: Originally Posted by FerrusPA View Post
Clearly you aren't yet jaded enough. Try PUGing, especially as a Healer or Tank.
In WoW I was always a tank or healer.

Currently i'm a healer.

I'm happy to take the good with the bad, but for me, personally, I much prefered the expierance before the LFD instant-tool was implemented.

Quote: Originally Posted by Rhamen View Post
We need a lfg tool to place us in a que for a flashpoint. if you dont like it dont use it, for those of us who play at odd times it is a great tool.

Hanging out in the starport for 1+ hours to maybe find a group is horrid. I would rather level my toon and get a que prompt.
I play aussie times on a server with little to no australian population (in otherwords I play at middnight-4-5am)

I have only started and only get an hour or two to play at a time.

I have had no trouble finding groups for stuff i'm doing.



Also, while i'm here, I was a huge advocate for the LFD tool when it first got implemented into WoW, I thought it was great and used it extensivly, and loved it.

Over time, the whole mindset of people deteriorated, and by the time it came around to cata, I hated dungeons so much that I quit. It, in my expierance and opinion only, destroyed the community feel that we had.
Nom nom nom

Nearox's Avatar


Nearox
12.21.2011 , 07:05 PM | #267
Quote: Originally Posted by archifikoss View Post
I don't mind a cool LFG tool in an MMO, as long as a) it's NOT cross server and b) you don't get ported to an instance.
Exactly my thoughts.

DevonDs's Avatar


DevonDs
12.21.2011 , 07:43 PM | #268
I have never grouped as much as I do in this game. This because I group much more easily when it is done n a chat channel. Othersvmay have different experiences but bottomline this is much much more personal and more enjoyable.
Quote: Originally Posted by John Riccitiello
When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging.

alkanterah's Avatar


alkanterah
12.21.2011 , 07:50 PM | #269
Quote: Originally Posted by Enistre View Post
I don't understand the argument. A LFG tool would not be any less social than how things are now.

The argument, is that it prevents people from having to talk with one another to form their groups, and once the group is made, if you like them, you add them to your friends list.

This is reasonable, but if you take a LFG Tool, that is server side only, your point is mute.


Spamming LF HEALER FOR SUCH AND SUCH FP in General is not being social, and once they respond: I'll do your instance, invite me~

Guess what? That's exactly what the tool does, without the General Spamming, without the sitting in the Space Station doing nothing, but watching General Chat Spam waiting for that special some one who's paying attention, and it saves General Chat for people who actually want to use it.

Please stop saying this is a bad idea. The opinion that it takes away from the social aspect of the game, is bad.
It's not about being social, or any such thing. The complaint was that when once people would gather up around the entrances of dungeons or form up groups while out in the world it felt more dynamic it some way. With the LFD tool people just sat in town and waited for a queue.

Now is SWTOR that already happens due to the Space Station where all the flashpoints are housed. So if a LFD tool were to be implemented you likely wouldn't notice any change save for less chat channel spam.

Nindoriel's Avatar


Nindoriel
12.22.2011 , 12:54 AM | #270
Quote: Originally Posted by alkanterah View Post
It's not about being social, or any such thing. The complaint was that when once people would gather up around the entrances of dungeons or form up groups while out in the world it felt more dynamic it some way.
It sure as hell was fun being ganked in front of the dungeon entrance. But if someone needs that, no one would take that opportunity away. Adding a dungeon tool does not eliminate the traditional way of doing a dungeon. Of course with a tool you have less people to pick from, because most people prefer the convenience of an LFG tool. If they wouldn't, there would be lots of people out there not using them and traveling to dungeons the old way.

Quote: Originally Posted by alkanterah View Post
With the LFD tool people just sat in town and waited for a queue.
Without the LFD, people also sat in town, while trying to form up the group. Sometimes people would even continue to sit in town after the group was formed, because they were arguing over who flies to the entrance and summons the rest of the group.

Ironically, back then you had to sit in town for hours, because you needed to use the channel, while now, if you wish to do so, you can just queue up and actually leave the town and do something. If people don't that's because there is nothing out there, that they want to do. Forcing players to fly to the dungeon EVERY time, again and again doesn't make anything more exciting. At least not for me. Besides, is there really a difference between seeing people hang around in front of a dungeon as opposed to hanging around in their home city?