Best relic combination for Gunnery PVE after 2.3

DiabloPL

Hi guys and girls

What do u think about relics for commando gunnery in pve. Which combination of relics is best out here, since using Matrix Cube is probably rather ineffective thing?

From what i know its bad idea to have two passive proc relics so probably best way is to have one clickable and one proc. And what about pvp relics from current pvp vendors, are they worth using in pve like elite war hero in back days?

Thanks

Edited by DiabloPL

It has been pretty widely accepted that Underworld Relic of the Cerulean Nova and Underworld Relic of Serendipitous Assault are best in slot. The parses suggest that this is the best DPS gain available. It is also popular to have an Underworld Relic of Boundless Ages to throw on during burst phases for the extra gain. Toss on the clicky power, get the buff, throw on the proc power, and get the best of all three worlds. I forgo the latter option I am lazy and don't want to swap gear mid fight, but your mileage may vary.

There is a long discussion on the whole thing here. You will have to go to the last few pages for the discussion on Relics, but it is definitely worth the read as there is hardcore data to back up the assumptions. Not just a bunch of "I feel this or that".

Like the guy above me pointed out, the highest possible DPS comes from the CN and SA proc relics, especially now that they don't interfere with each other.

However, I prefer using the Boundless Ages relic as it gives me more control over my DPS and an on-demand burst. It's somewhat of a DPS loss in a long run, but it's immensely helpful during quick burn phases.

So, UW SA is pretty much mandatory and UW SA/UW CN is up to your personal preference and playstyle.

EDIT: Also, how is it possible to swap gear mid-fight? I thought it was impossible to equip/de-equip any type of gear during combat.

Edited by CommanderKeeva

EDIT: Also, how is it possible to swap gear mid-fight? I thought it was impossible to equip/de-equip any type of gear during combat.

it's not.

the suggestion is, before battle begins, use BA relic, swap to SA relic, then start combat.

It has been pretty widely accepted that Underworld Relic of the Cerulean Nova and Underworld Relic of Serendipitous Assault are best in slot. The parses suggest that this is the best DPS gain available. It is also popular to have an Underworld Relic of Boundless Ages to throw on during burst phases for the extra gain. Toss on the clicky power, get the buff, throw on the proc power, and get the best of all three worlds. I forgo the latter option I am lazy and don't want to swap gear mid fight, but your mileage may vary.

There is a long discussion on the whole thing here. You will have to go to the last few pages for the discussion on Relics, but it is definitely worth the read as there is hardcore data to back up the assumptions. Not just a bunch of "I feel this or that".

It would seem your "widely accepted" knowledge is out of date. As far as I know, before 2.3, Boundless Ages/Serendipitous Assault was considered BiS period in terms of pure DPS. Judging by the last few pages of that thread, that is still the case.

I also have to agree that even if that wasn't the case, as I've pointed out several times, fights in this game are very rarely actually about your average DPS over the course of a 5-10 minute fight of continuous DPS and much more often about your ability to pump out high damage in a relatively short window. If the damage difference was hugely in favor of damage proc it would be different, but between our relatively low APM (compared to something like a watchman sentinel) lowering the proc rate and the high importance of burst phases in actual boss fights (off the top of my head, over half the current ops bosses have non-trivial burn phases, sometimes multiple ones, which are relatively make or break), I just can't recommend damage proc relics for commandos.

Was wondering since my Arkanian Relic of Serendipitous and my Conqueror Relic of Serendipitous both proc together now will Underworld and Arkanian ones proc together also. And was this intended for a pvp an pve relic of the same type to proc with each other.

Was wondering since my Arkanian Relic of Serendipitous and my Conqueror Relic of Serendipitous both proc together now will Underworld and Arkanian ones proc together also. And was this intended for a pvp an pve relic of the same type to proc with each other.

are you sure that they proc together.

it is my understanding that they shouldn't anymore, but i haven't tested it out since the 'fix'

Edited by oaceen

can i see a log please

18:37:57.971 Kàryu gains Power Surge.

18:37:57.973 Kàryu gains 3 rage point.

18:37:58.461 Malfunctioning Controller's Combustion hits Kàryu for 3397 kinetic damage, causing 3397 threat.

18:37:58.892 Kàryu's Force Charge hits Malfunctioning Controller for 1146 energy damage, causing 1146 threat.

18:37:59.584 Kàryu activates Battering Assault.

18:37:59.584 Kàryu gains 6 rage point.

18:37:59.585 Kàryu activates Deadly Saber.

18:37:59.585 Kàryu spends 3 rage point.

18:37:59.585 Kàryu gains Deadly Saber.

18:38:00.196 Kàryu's Battering Assault hits Malfunctioning Controller for 587 energy damage, causing 587 threat.

18:38:00.305 Kàryu's Battering Assault misses Malfunctioning Controller, causing 1 threat.

18:38:00.389 Kàryu activates Saber Ward.

18:38:00.389 Kàryu gains Saber Ward.

18:38:00.543 Kàryu's Battering Assault critically hits Malfunctioning Controller for 986* energy damage, causing 986 threat!

18:38:00.573 Kàryu activates Force Camouflage.

18:38:00.574 Kàryu gains Force Camouflage.

18:38:00.574 Kàryu's Force Camouflage causes -68111 threat loss on Malfunctioning Controller.

18:38:00.574 Kàryu's Force Camouflage causes -75 threat loss on Haywire Droid.

18:38:00.979 Kàryu's Saber Ward heals Kàryu for 336, causing 168 threat.

18:38:00.980 Malfunctioning Controller's Combustion hits Kàryu for 1698 kinetic damage, causing 1698 threat. (424 absorbed)

18:38:01.511 Kàryu loses Force Camouflage.

18:38:01.512 Kàryu activates Annihilate.

18:38:01.512 Kàryu spends 5 rage point.

18:38:01.512 Kàryu gains 1 rage point.

18:38:01.512 Kàryu gains Power Surge.

Log

For reference, the same relic can also proc off of damage and then from a heal, within the 20 second ICD as is evidenced here:

10:32:58.910 Kàryu's Rupture hits Operations Training Target MK-5 for 173 energy damage, causing 173 threat.

10:32:59.292 Kàryu gains Power Surge.

10:33:10.041 Kàryu's Rupture adds effect Bleeding (Physical) to Operations Training Target MK-5.

10:33:10.041 Kàryu gains Power Surge.

10:33:22.752 Kàryu's Battering Assault hits Operations Training Target MK-5 for 520 energy damage, causing 520 threat.

10:33:23.315 Kàryu gains Power Surge.

10:33:24.268 Kàryu's Hungering heals Kàryu for 330.

10:33:24.269 Kàryu gains Power Surge.

There are 4 instances of this happening in the log linked above.

Yep, UW and arkanian SA relics definitely proc together again. I'm sure this was something bioware broke with the last patch. For some reason they can't seem to get their damage proc and power proc relics to function differently for some unknown reason. I wouldn't count or bet tokens on this bug not being fixed again though. It's a nice bug to have atm if you already have two of the SA relics though. :)