Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is SWTOR dying?

Ayslinn_Iduviel
02.28.2012 , 02:18 AM | #511
In my experience, when community start asking itself "the game is dead?" it has already a foot in the grave.

Telaan
02.28.2012 , 02:24 AM | #512
Quote: Originally Posted by Ayslinn_Iduviel View Post
In my experience, when community start asking itself "the game is dead?" it has already a foot in the grave.
All MMO forums are like that. Even WoW.
Kype Lightwave/Telaan Lightwave -Pot5- "Pistols' RP Apprentice"
Telaan Lightwave Pre-CU Jedi Knight -JKO- Bloodfin
Master LS/Master Healer/Enhancer 4xx4

Ayslinn_Iduviel
02.28.2012 , 02:34 AM | #513
WoW it's what, nearly 10 years old? About time it's going to die (i'm not making a wishful tought, only a statement).

And it's not when one or two threads of this sort appear from time to time: here people are asking if the game is dead almost in every section, for every reason, in every moment.

I'm not saying "they should have done this or that", there're other topics for that, i'm just making an observation: a lot of people non appeased by the content (from pvp to pve, going into romantic involvment and such), so considering that we have already payed A LOT for this game (and you have to keep paying for playing), i think players are leaving for better shores.

My 2 cents.

Noctournys
02.28.2012 , 02:35 AM | #514
Quote: Originally Posted by Conveit View Post
The fact that the engine isn't even running DX 11 should be a clear sign that they are failing somewhere.
Why? More than half of the potential market for this game are running computers that dont support Direct X 11. Why would they lock themselves out of that market?

Quote:
PS: the fact that I can play Skyrim, WoW (which doesn't really count), Crysis on high settings and not have a problem at all shows that it probably is BW fault and not so much mine. So like you said Try being a little less ignorant. Itll do wonders for your quality of life.
Single Player Games != MMOs.

Skyrim never displays more than dozen models on the screen - there is no predictive pathing being done by the CPU and GPU, neither does Crysis. The CPU overhead for those games is miniscule (both are heavily GPU bound, EVERY MMO on the market is heavily CPU bound).

Your computer beating the minimum specs doesn't mean anything. What kind of third party bloatware do you have installed (for one of my friends, Daemon Tools was causing massive CPU overhead because he was an idiot and hadnt updated in forever and something about the old version caused CPU use constantly)? Is your EFI or BIOS up to date? Are the settings in said EFI and/or BIOS optimized for gameplay?

You cant generalize.

Ive got a friend who owns and operates a cybercafe/rental business. He's got 32 PCs. They are all identical. the 33rd PC, also identical, is his personal machine. I mean identical. Exact same hardware, ordered at the exact same time, assembled by the exact same three people all at once. Same software (drives were cloned, ffs).

They all run SWTOR fine.

His personal machine has framerate issues... because he's got it loaded down with 3rd party software that he just has to have. We're talking 40 processes on the cafe machines to over 100 on his.

Edumacate yerself.
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Also, 'cause im tired of talking about it:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...222960&page=11

Noctournys
02.28.2012 , 02:36 AM | #515
Quote: Originally Posted by Ayslinn_Iduviel View Post
WoW it's what, nearly 10 years old? About time it's going to die (i'm not making a wishful tought, only a statement).

And it's not when one or two threads of this sort appear from time to time: here people are asking if the game is dead almost in every section, for every reason, in every moment.

I'm not saying "they should have done this or that", there're other topics for that, i'm just making an observation: a lot of people non appeased by the content (from pvp to pve, going into romantic involvment and such), so considering that we have already payed A LOT for this game (and you have to keep paying for playing), i think players are leaving for better shores.

My 2 cents.
And the WoW forums have been like that since the launch of Burning Crusade. The forums - every sub forum, all the way down to realm forums - were filled, and are to this day, w i th "WoW is dying" posts.

Not that i matters.. like 2-5% of the population even goes to the forums - ever.
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Also, 'cause im tired of talking about it:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...222960&page=11

AetherMcLoud
02.28.2012 , 02:40 AM | #516
Quote: Originally Posted by Noctournys View Post
And the WoW forums have been like that since the launch of Burning Crusade. The forums - every sub forum, all the way down to realm forums - were filled, and are to this day, w i th "WoW is dying" posts.

Not that i matters.. like 2-5% of the population even goes to the forums - ever.
This, so much. Check the WoW Forums: "game is dying" "nerf this, nerf that" "Blizzard has a clear Horde bias!". The game is doing very well still...

Check the Magic the Gathering forum (only the biggest and most successful trading card game ever): "Game id dying" "this card is soooo overpowered!" "I hate standard, you destroyed it!"

Forums are pretty much the abyss of communication. People who love playing the game usually don't come here and post about it, but those vocal few who want to vent heat do.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

jabobob
02.28.2012 , 02:43 AM | #517
My experience at the moment is that this game is far from dying. My Guild is always talking to eachother and logging on daily to level alts or do HM's in guild groups. Also, i have had countless hilarious conversations and arguments over General Chat on nearly all of the Planets - not including the arguments about JarJarBinks that i seem to keep having on the fleet.
To have a great experience or to create a good MMO Community for SWTOR you actually have to DO some work - ask people questions, join in conversations, accept all HC invites. You guys want this sense of "Community" to be handed to you on a plate, even though you probably arent even making an effort to talk to anyone.
Want a Community? Make one.

Ayslinn_Iduviel
02.28.2012 , 02:58 AM | #518
Quote: Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud View Post
Forums are pretty much the abyss of communication. People who love playing the game usually don't come here and post about it, but those vocal few who want to vent heat do.
Yeah right, downtime today

maradigamer
02.28.2012 , 02:59 AM | #519
Quote: Originally Posted by Noctournys View Post

Source for those numbers?

Bbizzle
02.28.2012 , 03:02 AM | #520
Quote: Originally Posted by Evuke View Post
- fleets are <150 players now instead of 230+
-
What server did you play on, I play republic on terentatek and We never ever ever ever had 150 let alone 200+ you must be imperial.

Most of the day republic fleet is 35-45

WTB Republic re-roll incentives. Imbalance!!!