Way overdue time to get rid of Subscription model and go FTP like other MMO's

Malckiah

This would solve the PvP queue issues. As well as other issues due to the subscriber stuff. Black Desert and other games are doing well with no subscription. Plus the game is almost 8 years old....still $15 a month?....really?

I know there is technically a FTP model in this game, but the way it is set up it actually hurts the game by gimping the Queue numbers in major content.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blizzard with WoW is only FTP to a certain level then if you want to play cough up the $15.00.

From WoW launch, they have mostly gotten it right WITH a SUB.

If we went straight FTP, there would be so many pay gates, that your 15$ would look like a pittance.

No Thanks

I prefer to continue with a subscription based model.

However, due to the lack of new stuff in this game, I also believe that 15 ducats per month are too much.

10 gold nuggets per month, 5 for access to the full game 5 for cartel coins (500) sounds reasonable to me.

We did that, it sucked. If you can't afford the game move along to other titles that are free. I'll gladly pay my 15 a month.

This. I paid 12.44 to see the Meg over the weekend, and that was just the ticket. That was roughly two hours of entertainment for the same cost as a month of SWTOR.

Nope nope nope. If you cannot or will not pay $12-15 a month to play an MMO.. I have no sympathy for you.

Besides.. most MMOs are not actually FTP anyway. They run on various studio specific "flexible access models" where the full access is bound by subscription and non-subs will essentially "pay as they go" or "pay surcharges for access to some content." Then there is the Buy-2-Play model.. which is really just another variation of the flexible access business model.

The few MMOs that actually are essentially FTP are overrun with hackers, malcontents, and spammers... so .. no thanks. By all means.. go try and play some PvP in one of these games. :rolleyes:

Edited by Andryah

We did that, it sucked. If you can't afford the game move along to other titles that are free. I'll gladly pay my 15 a month.

I also agree. I'll carry on paying my £25.17 (GPB) a quarter thanks. I tried FTP - I lasted less than 10 minutes.

This.I paid 12.44 to see the Meg over the weekend, and that was just the ticket. That was roughly two hours of entertainment for the same cost as a month of SWTOR.

You have my sympathies :D

No they didn't. F2P has always had restrictions on access to warzones. The situation used to be better because there used to be 7-day full access unlocks for warzones, as well as flashpints and operations, in the Cartel Market. But those were removed so F2P players are restricted to 3 warzones per week unless they finagle the system.

This. I paid 12.44 to see the Meg over the weekend, and that was just the ticket. That was roughly two hours of entertainment for the same cost as a month of SWTOR.

Was it worth it? The movie looks like a great premise with terrible acting, but I still want to see it...my expectations are extremely low for it.

This would solve the PvP queue issues. As well as other issues due to the subscriber stuff. Black Desert and other games are doing well with no subscription. Plus the game is almost 8 years old....still $15 a month?....really?

I know there is technically a FTP model in this game, but the way it is set up it actually hurts the game by gimping the Queue numbers in major content.

This is a MMO, PVP will never be like Xbox or PS4 models. There are PVPers in MMO's however most are here for other reasons.

I have no problem paying, have always paid for subs on MMOs I enjoyed. That being said, I agree I think they ought to be a little more forgiving with the queues and let FTP players queue up.

Like many others in this thread, I too am more than happy to keep paying a subscription and hope that model doesn't change. I want to support the game. I want the game to have enough income to keep making new content. I do not want pay walls absolutely everywhere I go.

That being said, this -

The situation used to be better because there used to be 7-day full access unlocks for warzones, as well as flashpints and operations, in the Cartel Market. But those were removed so F2P players are restricted to 3 warzones per week unless they finagle the system.

- is a point worth addressing, I think. I'm really not sure why they removed these, and I think it would be nice to have them back. My guild used to make use of these passes/unlocks a lot, to help out guildies who had to drop their subscription for a month or two for whatever reason. It meant they could keep queueing with us in the interim, meant their being able to play helped the rest of us to play more content too (like ops), and it was a bit of profit for the game that it would otherwise not have gotten (since said player wouldn't be paying a subscription that month anyway).

Maybe these unlocks just weren't pulling in enough profit to justify the behind-the-scenes work to make them functional under the new post Galactic Command model, I don't know. *shrug* But if it's feasible, it would be nice to see these make a comeback.

- is a point worth addressing, I think. I'm really not sure why they removed these, and I think it would be nice to have them back. My guild used to make use of these passes/unlocks a lot, to help out guildies who had to drop their subscription for a month or two for whatever reason. It meant they could keep queueing with us in the interim, meant their being able to play helped the rest of us to play more content too (like ops), and it was a bit of profit for the game that it would otherwise not have gotten (since said player wouldn't be paying a subscription that month anyway).

Maybe these unlocks just weren't pulling in enough profit to justify the behind-the-scenes work to make them functional under the new post Galactic Command model, I don't know. *shrug* But if it's feasible, it would be nice to see these make a comeback.

Passes should in fact be restored. It was not clear at all why they eliminated them.. but the logical conclusion was that they wanted to try to force more players to subscribe... which is always a risky move in todays blended access models that almost all MMOs operate.

in my opinion Elder scrolls online has one of the best models to date. Free to play has full access to the game, but any DLCs must be purchased individually. Their microtransaction store solely includes utilities and cosmetic items like mounts, costumes, outfits, etc. Their subscribers get temporary access to all DLC content, as well as a few little perks like boosted XP gain and an unlimited space bag for crafting materials, but otherwise dont have a ton of things that f2p doesnt.

The biggest issue here is that free to play is too constricting. You cant level up past a certain point, you cant use basic game features, your chat options in game are limited, you cant even come to the forums and chat without subscribing. Bioware/EA are trying TOO hard to force people to subscribe, and I think that's very off-putting to a lot of players (it's one of the reasons why I, personally, am less reluctant to return to this game after an extended hiatus, because I cant even really test things out before deciding if i want to subscribe again or not). Games like ESO, STO, DCUO, etc. are much easier to bounce in and out of when you're in a gaming rut, because you arent completely restricted as a f2p player.

• 2 weeks later...

AMEN BROTHER! But I hardly doubt that they cant afford $15 a month for the game if they can afford an computer and internet connection to play it on. But then maybe they got that stuff free too. Every body wants something for nothing these days. The Bernie Sanders generation. Ill gladly pay my $15 a month too if it helps keep the game alive. Subscribers are the only reason the game wasn't killed 5 years ago.

I agree OP, but you won't find much approval here considering that this forum is only for subsciber,s i.e. the very small niche that pays a subscription for a game that doesn't deliver any content, the one that EA milks.

No content. Have you even played the game? Used to take a year to level one class, providing you had a life outside the game. Then they made it far, far too easy. A lot of folks are bored because they have done everything too quickly and are waiting for something different. My advice, take a log break from the game and come back. You will find it refreshing. Also try deleting all of your characters and starting over. I know folks who have done that and say they really enjoyed reliving the game from the beginning again.

I don't think it's about $15 being "too much" for a game, it's about $15 being too much for the lack of development this game gets. Many games that cost less get far more in terms of yearly development...and that seems to be the gist of this argument.