Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is Scorpio the template in the series of Gemini droids ?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Is Scorpio the template in the series of Gemini droids ?

phalczen
07.13.2020 , 10:35 AM | #11
Spoiler
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.

MagicTerror
07.13.2020 , 02:58 PM | #12
I think the ones saying that Scorpio is a separate droid entirely are more correct.

The Iokath people seemed to have a fondness for separating their most potent droid weapons into "family units" as we saw with the six titan droid gods. Scorpio, the Geminis, and Aries are likely part of their own family unit. As for which is the template, we never see any templates other than Gemini Prime, but I don't think it's a stretch to say that each "species" of droid has its own template. There could very well have been a Scorpio Prime, Aries Prime, etc. if you think of the templates as prototypes.

It doesn't seem right to place Scorpio higher or lower on that family tree, however, just alongside it as a literal sister. I doubt we're ever going to meet the "common ancestor" of these droids anytime soon though.

eabevella
07.13.2020 , 10:26 PM | #13
Judging by their naming logic, there should be 12 families, SCORPIO, GEMINI, ARIES, LEO, CAPRICORN... and such.

MagicTerror
07.14.2020 , 10:44 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by eabevella View Post
Judging by their naming logic, there should be 12 families, SCORPIO, GEMINI, ARIES, LEO, CAPRICORN... and such.
Exactly! they built this whole astrology set up, but abandoned it out of fear of breaking the fourth wall before we got to see LIBRA get some love

phalczen
07.14.2020 , 03:47 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by MagicTerror View Post
I think the ones saying that Scorpio is a separate droid entirely are more correct.

The Iokath people seemed to have a fondness for separating their most potent droid weapons into "family units" as we saw with the six titan droid gods. Scorpio, the Geminis, and Aries are likely part of their own family unit. As for which is the template, we never see any templates other than Gemini Prime, but I don't think it's a stretch to say that each "species" of droid has its own template. There could very well have been a Scorpio Prime, Aries Prime, etc. if you think of the templates as prototypes.

It doesn't seem right to place Scorpio higher or lower on that family tree, however, just alongside it as a literal sister. I doubt we're ever going to meet the "common ancestor" of these droids anytime soon though.
Actually, I'm not even sure the "Prime" designation isn't just a construct of the Eternal Empire, rather than Iokathi in origin. Remember, a single Iokath caretaker drone is capable of doing to the entire GEMINI fleet captains what the Alliance hoped to do with Prime in Chapter 15. I doubt the Iokath builders required a Prime. I wonder if GEMINI Prime is simply the one GEMINI the scientists and engineers of Zakuul and Valkorion's Eternal Empire were finally able to successfully deconstruct and then rebuild. About two years ago I was part of a discussion here:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=953402
where there was a lot of back and forth trying to make sense of some of the information. In that thread was discussed the point that ARIES reveals the captains all came from Iokath. Did ARIES mean the design came from Iokath, or all of the captains? Either way, in the unlikely event that an individual Eternal Fleet ship gets destroyed, or the more likely event that more ships are needed, Valkorion needed a way to generate more Captains. Was Prime "found," or reverse engineered? I'm not sure.

Remember that during the beginning of Chapter 14, Theron Shan asks SCORPIO why a physical template is needed, to which she replies, "My technology is not easily duplicated." I used to think that comment referred to the intricacy of her construction and software (which implies that Prime needed to be found), but now I wonder if it refers to elements or compounds unique to the Iokath star system. There is a comment Lana Beniko makes to the PC when she and the PC are searching for fresh water in the Endless Swamp in Chapter 4. She remarks that Arcann is being paid by the conquered worlds a tribute with resources/materials. She alludes to the Star Fortresses but suggests they are not enough to explain the amount of resources needed. I wonder if Arcann is trying to see if any other world in the galaxy contains the elements or compounds used to construct the GEMINI droids, since its implied that neither Valkorion nor Arcann are aware of Iokath's location, or even its name.

Finally, going back over that thread reminds me that when exploring Iokath during KOTET Chapter 4 you can find a codex entry alluding to the creation of SCORPIO, or at least documentation of a frustrating design discussion about SCORPIO. Certainly that codex entry requires a re-interpretation of the origin story described during the Agent act 3.
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.

MrParrcheezy
07.14.2020 , 04:22 PM | #16
I thought scorpio came first and the droid that was built off her schematics was Gemini Prime...