Cybertech, Mods and Armorclass

theravenzone

Heyo Community,

I planned on taking Cybertech/Scavenging/Slicing on one of my characters as Crew Skills so I could make my own mods since I love the modding system. I wondered something however. Empty shells like the social set or the pilot suit are light armor. Does that mean if I have a character who needs medium or heavy armor that those sets and everything with light armor would be suboptimal for my character? I mean a Trooper or a BH does seem to need the armor. The problem however is finding moddable Armor. I have only seen them drop in instances or as a quest reward/commendation stuff. And then try finding something that fits together...

So does the armor type of a modable item matter?

Its fine if you want to pick up Cybertech/Scavenging/Slicing but just a word of advice you will not be self sufficient. With slicing you will be able to find rare schematics for Cybertech but you will need items from Underworld trading to make stuff from Cybertech (that and scavenging).

You can of course buy all the things you need from the GTN (probably not in the beginning and if it is available it will be for huge amount of credits).

Its fine if you want to pick up Cybertech/Scavenging/Slicing but just a word of advice you will not be self sufficient. With slicing you will be able to find rare schematics for Cybertech but you will need items from Underworld trading to make stuff from Cybertech (that and scavenging).

You can of course buy all the things you need from the GTN (probably not in the beginning and if it is available it will be for huge amount of credits).

I agree. You will want to drop slicing and get underworld trading. This way you can make the droid parts and everything else. The last thing you want is to have to rely on a GTN network just kicking off. This way you can sell your items, and wait for the markets to settle.

I will probably still try being self sufficient through playing 2 characters at the same time with one of them having underworld trading as crew skill. If you want to take slicing what better option ist there then to combine it with cybertech? Anyway I still played the beta when they made all modable items orange and I know that all the items can have the same number of mods. This is not what this post is about. This post is about the question wether or not the Armor Class of modable items matters. An empty modable item has no armor until you put the armor mod in. Then the armor is calculated arcording to the armor rating of the mod and probably the armor class. I just wondered if that means that modable armor that has the "light armor" class like the social set just istn't viable for, let's say, bounty hunters who need heavy armor because of this.

Yeah, I'm stuck between cybertech and synth for my Inquisitor. I plan to PVP a lot so the Cybertech grenades sound pretty sweet. However, synth gets like a full set of BoP epics. I'm guessing though that other equivalent epics will be available for a bit of legwork, or I can pop epic mods into my orange gear and get roughly similar stats. Is this true?

I am also curious about what OP talks about.

If im a lets say Sith Juggernaut and I want to mod a light/medium armor that is fully moddable, will my armor be worse than an fully moddable heavy armor? Or is it only what mod you have in your armor that affects armor rating and not what kind of armor type.

1. Not all armor need mods.

1a. The ones that do not need mods are not worse than others, they just pre-defined.

2. Modding let's you keep your favourite looking armor set all the way through the game, while pre-defined armor (non-modable) potentially has better looks at the end-game content.

1. Not all armor need mods.

1a. The ones that do not need mods are not worse than others, they just pre-defined.

2. Modding let's you keep your favourite looking armor set all the way through the game, while pre-defined armor (non-modable) potentially has better looks at the end-game content.

So do I just keep creating the same armor, but with each tier of skill build one with a better armor class?

No, you can have only one crafting skill. You could have 3 gathering skills if you wish, or even 3 mission skills, or a combination there within. Crafting is the only one limited to only one.

Oh, well this opens up a whole new world for me! :D

going for cybertech slicing and scevanging for my agent.

i can buy the rare mats for blue items, and slicing gives nice steady profit while on the field, and it's not like i will bother with getting blue gear while levelling except on rare occasions.