Making the case for having your characters as stronghold decorations.

ThadiusMoor

Who wouldn't love this? Seriously.

If you can make my alts appear as a fully realized 3-d image here:

Family Tree - https://i.imgur.com/ItcDw88.jpg

Then you should be able to place that exact image into a stronghold, just like how companions work:

A Companion In A Stronghold - https://i.imgur.com/kzaMcja.png (Unsummoned)

A Companion In A Stronghold - https://i.imgur.com/Dlbetku.png (Summoned)

So, given how the companion works, the character could work exactly the same.

When a particular character is not logged in, it would appear as the companion in the first image.

When you are currently logged into that particular character, that character image in the stronghold would be shown like the companion in the second picture, the holo-image of said companion/character.

There would probably have to be a limit on the total number of characters allowed to be displayed in this way, and each would count as a decoration slot from the total allowed in any given stronghold.

I'd say at most 25.

As a decoration slot in the deco list, these could be stored as Charater Slot 1, Charater Slot 2, Charater Slot 3, etc...

Assign each character in your account a deco-tag.

These could then be selected from the legacy panel and placed into the decoration list in the exact same way those same charatcers are placed into the family tree, as seen in the first image.

(The image collection together: https://imgur.com/a/vrIY8xq )

This could totally work, if only Bioware would do it up.

Seriously? Me. I wouldn't *hate* it, but I wouldn't love it either. It would be a matter of significant indifference as far as I'm concerned.

I mention this mostly as a counter to the assumed universality of enthusiasm, without any intention to say it's a bad idea.

I would make use of this, though it's not high on the list of changes/upgrades I'd like to see for strongholds.

If it's too much to make our characters into Personnel, an Art wall decoration picture would be nice, too.

I'd like to see our companions never appear as holograms unless that companion is actively with us.

I'd love it if companions would appear to everyone in the outfit we've given them, not just us.

And I would certainly love to see the limit of how many we can place raised by at least 25%.

I'd like to see our companions never appear as holograms unless that companion is actively with us.

The hologram companions are either:

* The current character's active companion.

* Not a companion of the current character *at*all*.

In that sense, what you requested is already in existence. All of the current character's current companions are solid except the one who's currently there. That said, what it looks like you want is:

* The companion-decoration for the current companion is a hologram.

* All other companion-decorations are solid, whether they are companions of the current character or not.

Point of curiosity. If you're on a Warrior who has DSJ, and you're in a stronghold which has the LSJ decoration, what should it do? What if you have both Jaesa decorations side by side? (Yes, there are separate decorations for LSJ and DSJ.)

I'd love it if companions would appear to everyone in the outfit we've given them, not just us.

OK, but *which* outfit that we've given them? Let's take Lana as an example:

* Kylath's Lana wears a black cartel enforcer thing

* Tikreva'tarsil's wears almost nothing at all, just like Tikreva.

* Tela's wears the MK-16 212-rated crafted Armormech gear from the 4.X period dyed "Honorable Admiral".

I am now there as Bentarik who has never met Lana. Which one should he see?

What if you are in there while Bentarik is logged in? Which one should you see?

In that sense, what you requested is already in existence. All of the current character's current companions are solid except the one who's currently there. That said, what it looks like you want is:

* The companion-decoration for the current companion is a hologram.

* All other companion-decorations are solid, whether they are companions of the current character or not.

Point of curiosity. If you're on a Warrior who has DSJ, and you're in a stronghold which has the LSJ decoration, what should it do? What if you have both Jaesa decorations side by side? (Yes, there are separate decorations for LSJ and DSJ.)

If you have a DSJ with you and enter a stronghold with a LSJ decoration, they're not both decorations.

For the sake of simplicity, I'd say that the LSJ isn't a hologram because you have a DSJ with you.

If there are two separate decorations, then you could put both up. It's up to the decorator to decide if that's weird.

Having one companion with a variation doesn't mean the whole idea should be scrapped.

OK, but *which* outfit that we've given them? Let's take Lana as an example:

* Kylath's Lana wears a black cartel enforcer thing

* Tikreva'tarsil's wears almost nothing at all, just like Tikreva.

* Tela's wears the MK-16 212-rated crafted Armormech gear from the 4.X period dyed "Honorable Admiral".

I am now there as Bentarik who has never met Lana. Which one should he see?

Every stronghold is assigned to a particular character.

I would like all visitors and myself to see the companion in whatever outfit the stronghold owner has them wearing.

If toon Joe put Lana in a speedsuit, everyone in Joe's stronghold should see that deco in the speedsuit.

We should also see the customizations that are applied.

It's really strange to be with other players in your stronghold, when you see Quinn as a black man dressed in a diplomats outfit, and everyone else sees something different. They see whatever outfit they have on their Quinn, or the default if they don't have Quinn. It stinks for roleplay and it's just plain confusing.

It's the same as my pet peeve with the jukeboxes. If 10 people are standing in a stronghold and someone activates one of the single-song jukeboxes, it's random what each person hears. Not everyone hears the same song.

Edited by Xina_LA

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the delay getting back to you.

If you have a DSJ with you and enter a stronghold with a LSJ decoration, they're not both decorations.

For the sake of simplicity, I'd say that the LSJ isn't a hologram because you have a DSJ with you.

If there are two separate decorations, then you could put both up. It's up to the decorator to decide if that's weird.

Having one companion with a variation doesn't mean the whole idea should be scrapped.

For sure it doesn't mean that, but saying something about it shows that you thought about how the idea would work beyond "Oh, that's a cool idea!".

And my opinion is that (based on having done exactly that in one of my strongholds) putting an LSJ next to a DSJ *is* a bit strange.

Every stronghold is assigned to a particular character.

I would like all visitors and myself to see the companion in whatever outfit the stronghold owner has them wearing.

If toon Joe put Lana in a speedsuit, everyone in Joe's stronghold should see that deco in the speedsuit.

We should also see the customizations that are applied.

And presumably the Lana deco would wear the grey sack if Freddie put it down in Joe's stronghold before Joe acquired her as a companion. (Or maybe the Dark Advisor set since that's - in appearance, anyway - what she wears under the customisation.)

EDIT: I think that "solid everywhere" (or maybe "all solid except the one who's with me") is a reasonable idea, although "wearing the outfit and customisation applied by the stronghold owner" is a bit fraught.(1)

(1) Example: What happens if, while you're in my stronghold, I modify the owner in my Strongholds panel? What do you see? What do I see if I go in there before you leave? What if I change the owner while *I* am in there? That sort of thing. Weird edge cases that almost nobody will see and even fewer will notice, well, unless it crashes your client or my client or, worse, the server.

Edited by SteveTheCynic

(1) Example: What happens if, while you're in my stronghold, I modify the owner in my Strongholds panel? What do you see? What do I see if I go in there before you leave? What if I change the owner while *I* am in there? That sort of thing. Weird edge cases that almost nobody will see and even fewer will notice, well, unless it crashes your client or my client or, worse, the server.

Thanks for the feedback.

The system already handles this sort of thing. For example, what if you go into a stronghold with Lana so she looks like a hologram, but then you Dismiss your Lana... or vice versa? What happens if I change the SH label while the display banner is up?

Some stronghold events obviously have triggers that cause an update for everyone inside. (IE: jukeboxes, fireworks, other interactives). You also see the SH update in real time if someone modifies the decorations.

They could tie a SH owner change into that, or if they want to be lazy, leave the Companions they way they are until the next time you visit and load the SH. Either way would be fine, updating would just be fancier and very helpful to decorators.

Edited by Xina_LA

Seriously? Me. I wouldn't *hate* it, but I wouldn't love it either. It would be a matter of significant indifference as far as I'm concerned.

I mention this mostly as a counter to the assumed universality of enthusiasm, without any intention to say it's a bad idea.

Username checks out. :p

• 4 weeks later...

If you can make my alts appear as a fully realized 3-d image here:

Family Tree - https://i.imgur.com/ItcDw88.jpg

Then you should be able to place that exact image into a stronghold, just like how companions work:

A Companion In A Stronghold - https://i.imgur.com/kzaMcja.png (Unsummoned)

A Companion In A Stronghold - https://i.imgur.com/Dlbetku.png (Summoned)

So, given how the companion works, the character could work exactly the same.

When a particular character is not logged in, it would appear as the companion in the first image.

When you are currently logged into that particular character, that character image in the stronghold would be shown like the companion in the second picture, the holo-image of said companion/character.

There would probably have to be a limit on the total number of characters allowed to be displayed in this way, and each would count as a decoration slot from the total allowed in any given stronghold.

I'd say at most 25.

As a decoration slot in the deco list, these could be stored as Charater Slot 1, Charater Slot 2, Charater Slot 3, etc...

Assign each character in your account a deco-tag.

These could then be selected from the legacy panel and placed into the decoration list in the exact same way those same charatcers are placed into the family tree, as seen in the first image.

(The image collection together: https://imgur.com/a/vrIY8xq )

This could totally work, if only Bioware would do it up.

The truth would be fine, and it would be even better if the characters of the legacy could be used as companion, although this if they apply in the future, it will be after the game has no more companions to offer.

To enjoy this function, the game would collect many coins in the Cartel Market.