Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why Pre-made raid groups and fully equip ships, actually harm GSF and PvP matches.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Why Pre-made raid groups and fully equip ships, actually harm GSF and PvP matches.

nyghtrunner
05.14.2015 , 12:05 PM | #11
I'd just also like to chime in here and say that some of the most rewarding matches I've ever had were against teams/pilots I had no business winning against for whatever reason (Sometimes it's because it boils down to 3v1 effective, or 5v2 or whatever), but somehow, my team scrapes out a win. And it truly brings a smile to my face when my team gets all excited about the close win.

I actually was in a match the other day, and one of the people on my side, who by ships, had some experience at least, looked at the opposing team for our deathmatch, and was like, "Oh, x and y are on their team... GG" before the match even started. I laughed, and just said, "which way do you mean? ". We were up like 25-12, and I saw him pipe back up with the whole, "So I might have been premature with the 'gg' comment..." or something to that effect.

But the flip side is also true. Times I see 3/4/5 people in opposition that I consider aces, or at least strong vets, and my side is me and people with just the starter ships, and it's going to be all I can do to get a few kills, and not die repeatedly to focus. Honestly, the most frustrating games to me are the ones where I go something like 6-3-8-50k, because I'm doing damage well enough, but the focus on me kills me before I can usually seal the deal. There's no one to take the heat off, and it gets really, really frustrating in a hurry.

The frustrating games happen, even to us vets and aces. Even in the games where I'm hopelessly outclassed, I never quit, and I hope that by being there, and giving the opposition a competent pilot to shoot at (and who might actually swing a few battles here and there, even if not the match), I'm giving the people on my team some time to fly and learn without just exploding. It's still frustrating, but in hoping that being there helps others from getting completely farmed, I get a little bit of... solace, I guess.

I'll also note that a lot of the vets and aces, especially those who solo queue a lot, tend to swap factions a good deal on the attempt to even out matches to some degree. If I run into a bunch of vet friends in a match on my team, and there's no opposition, a couple of us will swap to try to help balance things out, because believe me... It's no fun being on the giving end of a slaughter either. I've had matches where I honestly did not have the heart to deal that killing blow because it's already 29-1 in a TDM, and I'm just not ruthless in that situation. I have the guy dead to rights 5 times over, but... I just can't, so I let him go. I like to think that maybe he gets a little confidence from being able to fly a bit longer before someone else who doesn't have my scruples comes along.

Anyway, Verain's blunt, but I think with this he's largely right. One of the best things you might be able to do against that team you're referring to would be to hop in the /cjoin GSF channel, and try to put a team together to fight them.

Out of curiosity, which server do you fly on?
Master, I marked the best escape pod for your use. I of course, will go down with the ship.
Graendahl / Semírhage : Hawkë / Mierín

Svarthrafn
05.14.2015 , 04:01 PM | #12
When you spawn, just pick a friendly nearby and stick to him like glue. It's not as good as a group, but it's better than flying solo.

Good luck.

Linuxizer
05.14.2015 , 07:24 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Akabelleth View Post
But on the evenings when I get the same opponets 5 or 6 matches in a row
Welcome to GSF!

If you can play that much, it is probably worthwhile to fly another character in the other faction or another server. The Ebon Hawk is relatively balanced. The Red Eclipse is dominated by the Republic.
Starfighter videos on youtube

Referral link: https://www.swtor.com/r/jBHrWL

Verain
05.14.2015 , 08:57 PM | #14
He may want to play on his main for some reason. For GSF play, your advice is totally correct, but I don't normally give that as advice because a lot of MMO players wouldn't want to not play on their main, etc.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

aakrea
05.14.2015 , 10:53 PM | #15
I see these as a way to test my evasive flying skills. I was recently in one where I had a basically stock scout and there were about 5 or 6 good pilots on the other side. I knew we had no chance but I only died twice with 3 of them on me most of the match. Booster recharge being stock on the nova is a life saver. We still lost by a large margin but if your team has a few good pilots you can also stay out to the edges of the main dogfighting and just go after anyone that strays to far off. I think it's kuat mess I just stay low and outside the rocks to and pick my battles ready to run for cover if I'm in a new ship, for example. If I have evasion built up I will be in the middle of the fight tho.

Shoraan
05.15.2015 , 06:37 AM | #16
GSF has one major issue and it's neither Premades not mastered ships. The simple fact is that SWTOR is not a flight sim. Its main focus has been and always will be the ground game. Adding GSF to SWTOR is like adding a flight simulator to Simcity, a first-person-shooter-mode to Civilization, or trade economics to Mass Effect.

Sure, some people enjoy both aspects of the game (I'm one of them), but the majority doesn't. Some people may give it a try from time to time and get discouraged, because the learning curve is steep and only few people will endure getting stomped on repeatedly until they get better. Some blame their lack of skill/experience on premades or gear gaps. But those things wouldn't be issues if we had enough players for the matchmaking to work properly.

Do I have a solution? No. As caedron wrote, trying to tell your team to hold back a little, so the new players get a chance to learn something, doesn't work. Telling people to watch tutorials and read all the great information out there doesn't work either.

I don't even think there's anything Bioware could do to make GSF more popular. Even if it was more integrated into the base game, most people would still not be interested in it. I may be wrong, but I think the reason why X-Wing Alliance was the last of its kind is simply this: not enough potential customers.

I'm usually not a fan of cross-server, but I agree that GSF queue times and matchmaking would benefit from it significantly. Unfortunately cross-server is even less likely than a new ship type or map.

nyghtrunner
05.15.2015 , 08:22 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Shoraan View Post
I may be wrong, but I think the reason why X-Wing Alliance was the last of its kind is simply this: not enough potential customers.
Well, between Elite Dangerous, Star Citizen, the Starfighter-Inc, and a few other things coming out in the next year or two, this will probably be put to the test.

I do think BW could do some things to get people more into GSF (a proper tutorial and some kind of 1v1 or 2v2 challenge mode would go a long way), but I largely agree with you that they won't, which is unfortunate.
Master, I marked the best escape pod for your use. I of course, will go down with the ship.
Graendahl / Semírhage : Hawkë / Mierín

kasiits
05.16.2015 , 04:12 PM | #18
I am totaly agree with this, need MAKE some MMR. New players continue left GSF. There already in work days hard find grp and when new player comes to GSF and MMR put it against full upgraded team where he dies as respawns near his base, he will never come back and play it again. BW need really start think about these small things, SWTOR comunity already is small i don't whant that new players leave game because there is no end game contest as they keep hard loosing in GSF and Warzones because all time is Nightmare MMR against premades.

tommmsunb
05.16.2015 , 05:15 PM | #19
i sincerely doubt that there was 5-6 good pilots on the other team because there are very rarely 5-6 good pilots on a server at one time.

in any case i love seeing threads like this because Verain gets to show his true potential.

As for the OP. Straight up, you're wrong, they're really the only thing keeping people playing the game. You're opinion is in many ways invalid. I award you no points, and everybody here is dumber having read this post. May god have mercy on your soul.

If you're wondering why you're so incredibly wrong, I'll educate you on multiplayer game design.

In order to play a multiplayer game you first need multiple players (Shocking!). In order to attract gamers you need a cool concept (check), in order to keep gamers playing you need to give them things to work towards (check) whether it be having advanced skill or an image of what is "good". If you don't like the game usually the message is "take a hike" there are games that will better suit your palette, of course if too many people don't like this game that creates problems, however there are plenty of people who only play SWTOR for GSF and that number of people hasn't been decreasing too much over the past year, we've lost a few here and there and we've gained an equal if not greater amount of people.

As far as ground pvp goes, "pre-made" pvp matches and full gear hardly makes a difference. I can't tell you how many times I've been in 0 pvp gear on my marauder (which is a hard class to play right now) and absolutely dominated people in ranked gear, because bolster is actually really good. As for the difference in objective gaming in ground pvp, the biggest difference lies in the time it takes to get between nodes. In space one good pilot can oftentimes cap all three nodes and defend them in time before they get capped all by himself.

In space you don't need bolster because even if you have everything all maxed, if you have sub-30% accuracy on average, you're never going to get anywhere, and that's a generous number, I honestly don't think you're even close to good until you can average 50% accuracy while being pressured.
twitch.tv/tomeateejedota
Xi'ao'prime - Ebon Hawk / Bastion, Tomoya - Jung Ma
Otoshimono - Shadowlands/Progenitor formerly known as: Tomeateeje/Yuuko-San/Rumina/Friendlygurl/Tensai-Hikoushi/Taisetsuna/Yorimoyoi

RickDagles
05.17.2015 , 01:08 AM | #20
Eh, I disagree with you there. The more important thing is that you're landing lots of shots. Missing a pile of shots isn't a big deal. My accuracy is terrible but I take a lot of high deflection shots when I have a full energy bar and chasing someone. Sometimes they land and it's bonus damage. Most of the time they miss, but who cares?