Forget Me, Remember Voss (spoilers ensue)

MishaCantu

Author's Note:

It is with a sense of sadness that I end this stage of Rey'elle and Vector's journey. I would have liked for their story to go on forever, but I think I leave them in a good place, for now anyway. I have truly enjoyed sharing my vision of them with all of you, especially Vector, who I hope I gave more depth than anyone thought possible for a bug man with disconcerting eyes. I would love to revisit them again at some point, but have not thought of an alternate hook to incorporate Makeb or SOR with their rather linear story lines and I didn't want to make this an AU sort of story. Perhaps when they are reunited after Kotfe, inspiration will hit me with that AHA! moment.

To all those that stuck with me through this endeavor, gave me encouragement and invaluable critique, I give my profound thanks. I never expected so many views, it makes my heart sing. I also want to thank EA/Bioware for allowing me to twist the fate of these characters I came to love in game. Cheers everyone!

Scene XX (Epilogue)

A little over a month had passed since they returned Talsa-Ko and the commandos to Voss. Rey’elle did not know what would become of them, but at least whatever sentence or punishment was meted out, it would come from their own people.

She never tried to contact Phi-ton while there and left quickly after her meeting with the Three. She advised them that it might be wise for them to ban marriage between outsiders and Voss and presented this advice as a security risk for the future of the planet. The Three indicated that they would consider her words carefully, which is all she could hope for.

Things on the ship had returned to as close to normal as they would ever be, considering the temperaments of her crew. Kaliyo and Lokin remained close, and they seemed to be good for each other, for now at least. With Kaliyo, one never knew.

Scorpio had upgraded the sublight drives for more maneuverability and speed and was continually working toward her own iterations of improvement which kept her occupied. That was either good or bad, and where Scorpio was concerned, it was hard to tell the difference.

Raina continued her studies and training, keeping mostly to herself except when sparring with Kaliyo to maintain her edge and keep in shape, or so she said. Perhaps it was just her awkward way of staying in touch with the crew.

They had spent a week on Alderaan getting a new suit of armor made for Vector. Rey’elle had picked up a bolt of cortosis weave on Aiken which she insisted the Killik armorsmiths incorporate into their design. They had found a way to bond it to the leather they used and the armor looked magnificent on him, at least to her. It was as black as his eyes, hugged his frame like a second skin and was flexible, allowing him freedom of movement. The only metal was a durasteel chestplate that had been hammered until it was almost as thin and pliable as the leather but could still deflect a lightsaber strike. Vector had also resupplied his membrosia stock and had seemed to enjoy spending time with the hive again. It was nice to see him so relaxed.

They were still in orbit around Alderaan waiting for a mission to come in but had heard nothing yet. Rey’elle had briefly thought about contacting the Tenebrous, but then she had heard nothing from Shara, the former keeper, for quite some time, so maybe it was not such a good idea after all.

She went into the galley and poured herself a mug of caf and then to the meeting room where Vector sat looking at something on a datapad. She cleared her throat as she came through the door and pulled out a chair to sit beside him.

“Is that my datapad?”

“Yes. It would appear you have some unopened mail. One from Voss. Shall we open it for you?”

“I will look at it in a while. You can read it with me if you wish.”

Vector sighed and looked at her, concern wrinkling his brows. “They will come for us eventually. You made a very dangerous play on Ilum and we fear what wrath will befall us. We avoid speaking of this, but it is real.”

“Yes, they will come for us, but not today. They are plotting and scheming and trying to find a way around this, and some day they might just figure something out. I have covered every contingency I can think of and only I know the truth about my plan.

If they kill me, the codex will be released. If they kill you or anyone else in my crew, the codex will be released. I do not even know what information it holds. I never access it and only I know it’s location. At this point, their options are...well, they don’t really have any options, and that’s what scares the hell out of them but also keeps us safe.”

“We understand your reason and applaud your bravery but a frightened Sith is the most dangerous of creatures and we won’t see it coming.”

“Probably not, but that could be a blessing. Since we are playing the truth game, you and the others were not the only reason I used the codex as a bargaining tool. Did you realize that Serevin was bonded to Talsa-Ko? I knew it the moment I saw them together and heard it in his final words to her. Imagine a mighty Sith Lord in thrall to an alien, leashed by the very passions they claim gives them strength. I do love symmetry.”

“Are you sure? Do you suppose anyone else knew? Malgus maybe?”

“Serevin would never have revealed this. Malgus would have seen it as a sign of weakness and you know how the Council feels about aliens. Either would have killed him and her outright. After Serevin’s death I had to get the Voss away from Darth Nox. Her interrogations would have broken them and I don’t know how, but sooner or later, the Sith would have used the power of Ardor to undo or subjugate Voss. That is why I petitioned the Three to ban outsider marriage. I hope they see the wisdom in doing so.”

Vector took her hands in his and swept a kiss across her knuckles. “After all this time, your compassion still amazes us.”

“Compassion or idiocy, sometimes the lines blur.” Tears started to form at the edges of her eyes. “I am tired, Vector. So bone numbing tired. I look back on my life and I see one test of my strength after another, like a never ending string of beads. I look at the future and more beads disappear over the horizon.

“I don’t want to hold the fate of five other people or whole worlds in my hands. I hold secrets that could burn the galaxy and I am tired of looking through ash. Some days the marrow in my bones feels like lead and I am too burdened to move. I just want to live, with you, but life won’t leave me alone to do that. Tomorrow I will be fine, but today, I am tired.”

It was the quiet sobbing that broke Vectors heart as he pulled her to him. He held her head against his chest and let her weep until the front of his shirt was soaked with tears. He did not make a sound or utter a word but stood strong and still. Her rock. Because that is what she needed him to be.

Later that night, Rey’elle slipped out of bed, picked up her datapad and went to the cockpit to read the letter from Voss. She would show it to Vector tomorrow.

My wife,

I do not know if you hear my words, but I send this out of tradition.

The teahouse is different now and your place remains empty.

I have taken the cleansing and you are gone from my body, but not my heart.

Yana-ton will marry soon, and I remember you.

Your people walk Voss-Ka, and I remember you.

My world may need you before it’s time ends and I would not bring you pain.

Forget me. Remember Voss.

She stood looking out the window, rubbing her arms against the chill. Her ship hung in space like a life day ornament, so miniscule and vulnerable against the void. There was something out there, she could feel it. How far off in time and space she could not tell but it was something unknown and terrifying like a tiny seed of nightmare that invades the mind. Something other than Sith.

The song of the universe had changed, and she could hear it.

The End

Related music seems to be in vogue and I consider it a nice touch. I will always think of this song as Rey'elle and Vector's theme. Whether or not you have heard it before, enjoy.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is such a beautiful story....I certainly hope it won't be your last. I loved the music you chose for Rey'elle and Victor as well. I will definitely hope for more stories from you in the future (another companion love interest, perhaps?).

Thank you very much for sharing this one. Be well :)

This is such a beautiful story....I certainly hope it won't be your last. I loved the music you chose for Rey'elle and Victor as well. I will definitely hope for more stories from you in the future (another companion love interest, perhaps?).

Thank you very much for sharing this one. Be well :)

Thanks Foxfirerose, your posts have been very supportive and I really appreciate you.

Actually I am sort of working on something now. I am too much of a romantic not to put some love interest in, call it a character flaw. I'm trying to figure out the mystery, intrigue, sense of danger, goals, etc. that would tie it all together. Also, I'm just not sure who I want to put the smoochies on or how to work it all in. Like, I adore Theron, but that boy has been loved to death, more than once. Anyway, we will see where it goes. Cheers to you. :D

Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. I loved it, so touching and heartfelt, and the music is beautiful and very fitting for them. Well done! ^^

You started all this Lunafox and it has been a blast for me and hopefully for those who have taken the time to read. I truly appreciate your prodding me in the right direction and to just take a chance. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, as they say. I did finally finish your foundation story, working on spy now, and of course, keeping up with Marr since the beginning.

I came to these fanfic forums late and there are so many great stories to read it is hard to catch up with them all, but I am trying.

Thanks again.

You started all this Lunafox and it has been a blast for me and hopefully for those who have taken the time to read. I truly appreciate your prodding me in the right direction and to just take a chance. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, as they say. I did finally finish your foundation story, working on spy now, and of course, keeping up with Marr since the beginning.

I came to these fanfic forums late and there are so many great stories to read it is hard to catch up with them all, but I am trying.

Thanks again.

*blushes* Well you're quite welcome. I've always been a big believer in that if you want to do something, then just go do it! :D I'm honoured to know that I was able to encourage you and get you to share your marvelous story with everyone. I'm also happy to know that you've been reading mine and hope that you're enjoying them.

And you're right, there are a lot of great stories here, we just need more hours in the day. ^^

Thanks Foxfirerose, your posts have been very supportive and I really appreciate you.

Actually I am sort of working on something now. I am too much of a romantic not to put some love interest in, call it a character flaw. I'm trying to figure out the mystery, intrigue, sense of danger, goals, etc. that would tie it all together. Also, I'm just not sure who I want to put the smoochies on or how to work it all in. Like, I adore Theron, but that boy has been loved to death, more than once. Anyway, we will see where it goes. Cheers to you. :D

Oh I am so excited to hear this!!:) I'm an incurable romantic and that's not a character flaw, at least not in my opinion. If you want to write about a love interest that hasn't had any love, see what you think about Doc. Everyone calls him a Cad among other equally negative things, but in my head, I saw another side to Doc and fell in love with him. I found his flaws comical in an endearing sort of way, and as the story progressed it became clear to me that he really loved the Jedi Knight and had eyes only for her. Just a thought.....I don't think Corso gets quite enough love either. Probably because he's such a kid at the start of the story, and if you don't romance him, you don't get to see the beautiful feelings he is capable of as the story progresses and he matures. So that's my 2 cents:)

Ok sorry, I didn't mean to write a wall of text here LOL. I will be looking forward to reading what you do next, no matter who you choose to write about. I know it will be great:)

I liked how you wove actual in-game dialogue from Serevin and Talsa'Ko into your own conversation and narrative so naturally. Kudos!

I tried to put a little old and a little new into the story while making it seamless. I had to pick and choose which dialogue didn't bog anything down and knew I could not go word for word from the game. I am glad I made the choices I did and that you noticed. Thanks.

That was a very beautiful story. Thank you for posting it.

Thank you Jaiddyn. I'm happy you enjoyed my little story.

Thank you very much for sharing your story!

The end gave me goosebumps! A wonderful conclusion.

It seemed like a good place to end and I am always happy to hear that what I wrote had an emotional impact. I really do want to revisit Rey'elle and Vector someday, because as shamelessly self serving as it is, I sort of fell in love with my version of Vector.

First saw this a couple days ago and just finished it. I have to say, wow! Loved the whole story and your take on the characters; which were so accurate and yet put in a unique perspective.

One of the things that stood out as proof was with Darth Serevin. The first day I was reading, his voice in my head was a pretty generic deep voice, bit of an imperial accent, I had NO idea who it was. Then when I got home the next day and started reading (chapter 7); the voice was totally different and I had to stop and think: who's voice is this? Oh, wait, it's that guy from Voss. (could picture the face, but not remember the name. And I can't believe I didn't put 2+2 together right then and there given the Voss connection. :o) It just seemed to fit and flow so well that my brain figured it out before I did and I just stuck with it while I continued. And then next chapter when you revealed who it was... :eek::eek::D:eek:

Well anyway, that's my rambling on the matter. Suffice it to say I read the whole thing as fast as I could and enjoyed every moment of it. :)

Edited by ChadSkywalkur

• 4 months later...

I read this on FF but decided to respond here with my thoughts instead.

I absolutely loved this. I've always liked the Voss and felt a sense of intrigue towards them and when my first Agent reached the marriage to Phi-ton part, I was both excited and scared worrying how Vector would react. I had my finger ready on the ESC button but luckily it worked out. Your story masterfully plays out how it could have gone wrong and not even in terms of Vector's reaction but the consequences of the ritual itself. You gave the rite of Ardor a lot of depth and more meaning than the game itself relayed and I enjoyed it.

Your Vector was stunning, I do love that man to bits and he seemed so genuine to the Vector I know in game. Your Agent's awesome too, it sounds like she pretty much followed the same path I did.

The Sith.. for the life of me I couldn't imagine who the hell he was and then you revealed it and I just... DUH! I'd completely forgotten about his existence, oops? You turned him into a well worthy villain though, or at least more so than in-game and I won't soon forget him again.

Fantastic work Misha I'm so pleased I read this. And screw being 4 months late to the party, shameless bump to the top. ;)

PS: Suck on that Nox. <3

I read this on FF but decided to respond here with my thoughts instead.

I absolutely loved this. I've always liked the Voss and felt a sense of intrigue towards them and when my first Agent reached the marriage to Phi-ton part, I was both excited and scared worrying how Vector would react. I had my finger ready on the ESC button but luckily it worked out. Your story masterfully plays out how it could have gone wrong and not even in terms of Vector's reaction but the consequences of the ritual itself. You gave the rite of Ardor a lot of depth and more meaning than the game itself relayed and I enjoyed it.

Your Vector was stunning, I do love that man to bits and he seemed so genuine to the Vector I know in game. Your Agent's awesome too, it sounds like she pretty much followed the same path I did.

The Sith.. for the life of me I couldn't imagine who the hell he was and then you revealed it and I just... DUH! I'd completely forgotten about his existence, oops? You turned him into a well worthy villain though, or at least more so than in-game and I won't soon forget him again.

Fantastic work Misha I'm so pleased I read this. And screw being 4 months late to the party, shameless bump to the top. ;)

PS: Suck on that Nox. <3

Thanks Jenny. I feel like you just resurrected an old friend. This was my first ever story and it taught me an awful lot, especially about sentence structure and dialogue. There are so many things I learned that I have carried through to my other stories and there are so many things I would go back and fix in this one, if I ever got the time. Like misplaced commas, stinted sentences that would have been better served by joining them together with a simple and, or, but, so, etc. Hopefully I have gotten better about that sort of stuff with time but I still have to be careful not to fall back into bad habits. My special thanks to De-mu-Noki for pointing these things out to me.

But still, I liked the overall gist of the story, doing the twist on the Voss culture, my take on Vector, the agent and the villain, weaving in bits of the SWTOR game yet staying outside the constraints of the actual game play. I always found the Voss to be endlessly fascinating, and once I found the hook of the Rite of Ardor, I just sort of ran with it. I am so glad you enjoyed it. I have actually started on a sequel of sorts, but it is not fleshed out enough yet, I only have a couple of chapters written so far. Once Long Odds is done, I might give it a bit more attention, I just hope there is interest.

Not to worry about the shameless bump, it will get buried again in no time, we still have a lot of writers posting, which is a good thing. Cheers.

You just hope there is interest? Seriously? Trust me, there is interest!!! I will really be looking forward to that sequel for sure! Your version of Vector in this story is just.....exquisite:D

I agree, there is interest! :D I'm interested in reading more for sure! ^^

• 4 weeks later...

This was awesome & thank you so much for writing and sharing it!! It helped me sorta close the chapter with my Agent. She had chose not to become involved with Vector prior to Voss & then on Voss she had immediately started flirting with Phi-ton and was pleasantly surprised when she got the chance to marry him.

Was disappointed when Vector had asked her to marry him and there was no choice to say "No, I can't, am already married". She truly does love Phi-ton and enjoys being married to him. I had asked on forums if he ever reappeared and nope, so she is going to try to move on. Was also disappointed when she could not go back to visit him at the tea house as well.

But I truly thank you for your story, although the relationships were different, it gave me ideas on how my mind could finalize her relationship ending & move on with her life (long story short, use to RP, don't really anymore other than to immerse myself into the storylines of my characters)...

But thank you and awesome job, keep up the writing :)