*Ideal* Operation group, which classes?

Hi, I'd like to get some opnions from experienced people in 8-man Operations to see which classes they think are best for each role. This is what I thought would be good but I may be terribly wrong :)

Tanks

Main - Vanguard / PT

Off - Shadow / Assassin

Dps

1 Marauder / Sentinel (predation/transcendence and dmg buff)

1 Jugg / Guardian (for armour debuff)

1 Merc / Commando

1 Sniper / Gunslinger

Healers

1 Sage / Sorceror

1 Scoundrel / Operative or a second Sage / Sorceror

Please tell me any changes you think should be made, as our guild will start ops soon and we wanna get things right :rolleyes:

Hi, I'd like to get some opnions from experienced people in 8-man Operations to see which classes they think are best for each role. This is what I thought would be good but I may be terribly wrong :)

Tanks

Main - Vanguard / PT

Off - Shadow / Assassin

Dps

1 Merc / Commando

1 Sniper / Gunslinger

Healers

1 Sage / Sorceror

Please tell me any changes you think should be made, as our guild will start ops soon and we wanna get things right :rolleyes:

I'd rather have two Sorcerers, to be honest, though I don't know much about the healing specs. I just like bubbles. And it might be better to get a tank Jugg and a Pyrotech PT. That way, you can still have the armor debuff, but also a PT's burst combined with a Marauder's and Sniper's and two extra DoTs.

On the other hand, does the Tracer Missile stack with the Jugg's debuff? Because if it does, it might be better as is.

That could be one way to go about it, the ideal does change between boss fights. Also the difference in efficiency between the ideal raid and a standard raid is practically nothing (especially just starting out).

I'd be more concerned with finding intelligent people then what classes you actually have. There is more of an advantage to be gained in that category over any other. Class balances will change often but the people playing them will always be the same.

I suppose the ideal setup would be one that involved two of each base class, for maximum loot distribution from drops. I think one of the benefits of this game however, is that each class is perfectly capable of fulfilling their role to within a reasonable amount of each other (as much as you'll hear the opposite from forum trolls) - so roll with whichever classes you have in your group, go with the most dedicated players rather than which class they play :D

Sometimes you may have to tailor the fights differently depending on which classes you bring along though. For example, our group has always run jarg&sorno with me (powertech) tanking jarg and our assassin tanking sorno, i guess because we didn't know any better, and it was always fine. However recently we started nightmare mode, and found that I was dropping ludicrously quickly against jarg. As it turns out, assassins have much more resistance to internal/elemental damage than powertechs so we switched the assassin to jarg against his fire moves, and hey presto the fight was much easier on the healers.

Personally I'd love to run a group with 1 of each advanced class, for the variety, but again I'm not sure the classes are actually that important. Bring the players, not the classes :D

Honestly Ideal can be tossed out the window. Last HM Karagas we had Guardian tank Vanguard off, Shadow sage commando vanguard dps, and sage scoundrel healer. It realy depends on the people playing. we have completed most content with such rag tag teams but everyone knew how to play their class well. So the ideal team is compitant people :)

I'd rather have two Sorcerers, to be honest, though I don't know much about the healing specs. I just like bubbles. And it might be better to get a tank Jugg and a Pyrotech PT. That way, you can still have the armor debuff, but also a PT's burst combined with a Marauder's and Sniper's and two extra DoTs.

On the other hand, does the Tracer Missile stack with the Jugg's debuff? Because if it does, it might be better as is.

I didn't want to get a pyro Pt / Assault Vanguard because they are a melee (4-10m) class which means they are generall going to be in danger a lot more from AoE, knockbacks etc, and their defensive cd's and survivability is pretty awful.

Tank juggs in my experience have to be played very well to hold aggro for multiple targets but are good single target whereas Powertechs have so many AoE skills.

Tracer missile heat signatures only apply to the Merc's own attacks but I chose Merc for it's kickass arsenal dps + ranged

Tank juggs in my experience have to be played very well to hold aggro for multiple targets but are good single target whereas Powertechs have so many AoE skills.

Bear in mind that on the whole AoE isn't always so important in the boss fights

I didn't want to get a pyro Pt / Assault Vanguard because they are a melee (4-10m) class which means they are generall going to be in danger a lot more from AoE, knockbacks etc, and their defensive cd's and survivability is pretty awful.

Tracer missile heat signatures only apply to the Merc's own attacks but I chose Merc for it's kickass arsenal dps + ranged

See this mentality that melee are in so much danger of aoe is wrong. we have ran the HMs moderatly geared with all melee dps and still dont have issues. there are no fights in EV or KP where the aoe damage isnt easily healed or al together avoidable. Good healers shouldnt have a problem. people love to blame melee dps for failures when its usually mediocre healers. I cant speak for all melee but inf shadows have a 30% aoe reduction which is deffinatly a huge bonus.

Edited by SvnStrSlm

Well, in the context of EC SM/HM...

Tanks There's no such thing as Main/Off in EC

A tank that can follow instructions, communicate, knows their class and meets the gear requirement for the encounters.

A second tank that can follow instructions, communicate, knows their class and meets the gear requirement for the encounters.

Dps

A ranged DPS that can follow instructions, communicate, knows their class and meets the gear requirement for the encounters.

A second ranged DPS that can follow instructions, communicate, knows their class and meets the gear requirement for the encounters.

A ranged or melee DPS that can follow instructions, communicate, knows their class and meets the gear requirement for the encounters.

A second ranged or melee DPS that can follow instructions, communicate, knows their class and meets the gear requirement for the encounters.

Healers

A scoundrel healer that can follow instructions, communicate, knows their class and meets the gear requirement for the encounters.

A second healer that can follow instructions, communicate, knows their class and meets the gear requirement for the encounters.

So, yeah. That's my dream team. With few exceptions, I strongly believe in bringing the player who has put the time in, geared up their toon, and knows their class. That being said, having two ranged makes Zorn and Toth much more approachable for the painful shout. Plus a scoundrel healer who can run around to soak up lightning rods on Firebrand/StormCaller makes the fight really easy.

Ideal operation group is 8/16 of your best players. Classes Don't really matter, tbh.

Tank-wise each has its own unique advantage and disadvantage.

Juggernauts/Guardians - Bring armor penetration, excellent single target boss tanks but have almost ZERO aoe threat abilities.

Shadow/Assassin- probably have the best mitigation of all three tanks, but threat generation is lackluster.

Powertech - excellent threat, single target and AOE, mitigation is lacking compared to the other 2.

DPS - As long as you're even with you're melee/ranged at a 50/50 ratio its not a big deal. I personally would want at least 1 marauder in 8 man and 2 in 16 man for bloodthirsts. After that stack classes that bring armor penetration until you're at 100% (tough to do in 8m) then fill out your raid with the best players you have.

As for healers. In an 8man I would run Merc/Sorc or Scoundrel/Sorc. Sorc's raid healing abilities are second to none, but they suck as main tank healers respectively. Plus it makes life a WHOLE lot easier having a healer with a free heal so the Sage can Consumption. I personally would run Merc as my 2nd healer, simply because I love Merc's as main tank healers. The mercs in my build can more or less keep up the main tank by themself.

In 16m our set up is Op/Merc/Sorc x2.

Doesn't matter at all which classes are in your group as long as you have 2 ranged and 2 melee but even that doesn't matter than much for the vast majority of the bosses. Edited by Fracta

As other posters have said the players are far more important than the classes they bring.

So lets say you have the players then slect the roles they are filling. To some extent this will depend on the opperation you are going to play.

As far as roles are concerened EV is the most forgiving as it only requiers one tank though an off/second tank can help with the initial turret towers and adds. The only other requerment is 2 healers. Now at least one sage/sorc would be nice nice for the force buble it is not neccessary. My guild has done this with two commando healers. For EV any 4 dps ranged or mele does not realy matter although each of the DPS classes bring their own individual benifits.

Karrag's is slightly different in story mode you can get away with a main tank and an off tank for Jarg and Sorno however 2 main tanks would be better. The with the AOE that Jarg puts out it is best to have at least 2 ranged DPS. However for the fabricator droid you realy need 3 ranged dps so that they do not have for to move beween solving the puzle and DPSing the boss. But in a pinch 2 mele and 2 ranged will do however one of the mele must have some for of leap ability either to get to the boss for the DPS phase or leap back to one of the ranged to get back to the puzzle solving phase. With regards to helers any 2 will do. However if your heal team only includes one sage/sorc you will want him on the lower level so he can get the benefit of the residual heals from slavation to bring his own health back up when he noble sacrafices.

Explosive conflict is definatly a two tank opperation. With regards to the heal team one sage/sorc and a commando or scoudral would be ideal but in a pinch an two healers will do. For the DPS team at least two ranged dps although as others have said it is possible with full mele and full DPS. The DPS team should idealy be ballanced to make best use of special abilities such as gunslingers shield, sentinals insperation and commando/sage condition removal. The real trick to the first boss on this opp is removing the orange DOTs as soon as they appear so having one or more of the DPS team with a cond removal realy helps.

Tanks

Main - Vanguard / PT

Off - Shadow / Assassin

Dps

1 Merc / Commando

1 Sniper / Gunslinger

Healers

1 Sage / Sorceror

Yeah, that seems correct. The others are right though - if your DPS and tanks aren't very good *players* you're going to have a lot of problems. By that I mean :

1) Don't stand in the stupid.

2) Don't lose aggro. (Tank)

3) Don't forget threat dumps. (DPS & Heals)

4) Watch your debuffs.

5) Pop your cooldowns.

6) Know your rotation.

7) Manage your energy.

8) Know the fight.

9) Know where to stand.

10) Be quick on the tank swaps (check your target!).

As for KP we always run it with one healer and one DPS up top without any issues in 8 man mode.

Edited by dcgregorya

For the Empire side at least, not sure if this transfers over to the pub side.

Main Tank-Jugg--Single target tank

Off Tank-Assas--Aoe tank

Main Healer-Operative--Single target healer

Off Healer-Sorc-Aoe healer

Dps-Mara--Dps+healing buffs

Dps-Sniper--Giant shield thingy

Dps-Merc--Reduce armor

Dps-Depends on raid,

EV-Sniper--Giant shield thingy for first boss

KP-Merc--Back up healer for Jorg+Sorno, heal self during puzzle

Tanks:

~ Jugg, Guardian.. Armor debuff..

~ Sin/Shadow.. Stealth rezz

DPS:

~ Mercenary, Commando.. Armor debuff, Emergency heals

~ Sniper,/Gunslinger.. Ballistic shield

~ Marauder, Sentinel.. Party buffs

~ PT, Vanguard.. debuffs and ability to emergency taunt.

Healers:

~ Operative/Scoundrel.. HoT's and Stealth rezz

~ Sorc/Sage.. AoE heals and shields.

But tbh anyone with a brain is the best choice ;)

Edited by _Zorth_

I am a Sage healer, so this is purely from a healing perspective. I do have a Raid geared guard tank, but i do not claim to be an expert on that subject.

Tanks

They really don't matter honestly. All 3 tanks are very good atm. That being said, i prefer Vanguard/Guardian Combo.

The vangaurds ranged attacks, though limited, make him better for kiting a boss while still maintaining agro.

Main: Vangaurd

Off: Guardian

Healers

Once again all 3 are really strong now and any combo could work for 8 man ops.

Sage: Bubbles are beast, and so is Rescue. Their AoE heals i find people grossly overestimate. it crit heals for around 700-800 a tick. The commando's kolto grenade can crit for 4k on its first hit. so it almost does all the healing in one go vs over time. so well timed co-oridinated bombs are HUGE.

Commando/Operative: Based on test that myself and a commando friend have run. no other class can keep up as much single target throughput as a commando. They are AMAZING tank healers. Operatives have some great util, stealth rez is boss.

Deeps

I see you went with 2 melee dps and let me just say, they are great dps but pretty much every fight in this game is unforgiving for melee, and can be more easily accomplished by ranged dps classes. that out of the way my favorite combo is like this.

2 Gunslingers: yeah 2, their shields are Invaluable and having 2 of them is sick.

1 Sentinel: a good sentinal can pull some amazing dps and in a pinch if he can keep himself up on the threat he can off tank for a good 5-8 seconds with good cd's, while you rez a gibbed tank.

1 Sage: Sorc dps right now is broken strong, and this helps balance your raid with 2 of each class. If loot ever goes back to pre EC style loot then this is a big benefit.

So condensed list: 2 Knights, 2 Consulars, 2 Troopers, 2 Smugglers.

Tanks:

MT: Vanguard

OT: Guardian

Heals:

Sage: Utility is unmatched

Commando: Great sustained tank heals

Dps:

2 Gunslingers

1 Sentinel

1 Sage

Edited by TheEvilEeyore

Tanks:

~ Jugg, Guardian.. Armor debuff..

~ Sin/Shadow.. Stealth rezz

DPS:

~ Mercenary, Commando.. Armor debuff, Emergency heals

~ Sniper,/Gunslinger.. Ballistic shield

~ Marauder, Sentinel.. Party buffs

~ PT, Vanguard.. debuffs and ability to emergency taunt.

Healers:

~ Operative/Scoundrel.. HoT's and Stealth rezz

~ Sorc/Sage.. AoE heals and shields.

But tbh anyone with a brain is the best choice ;)

merc's armod debuff no longer stacks with juggernaut.