The Horror of the Headless Padawan

JediBoadicea

Many of the instances of the bugged decorations using the Padawan model have been called out in other threads (like this one), but it's become an egregious pattern at this point with even new decos that were released after 5.10 also broken (broken right at launch), so I feel it merits its own call-out. This Padawan statue model makes for a great deco, as the devs clearly realize given how often they are using it. But she's friggin headless, guys. :eek:

Here is a list of all the decorations using this model that are broken, missing any or all of a mix of heads, arms, and sabers:

Holofire Jedi Padawan Shrine

Ossan Jedi Memorial (Mastework crystals in cost, yikes)

Small Jedi Padawan Fountain Shrine (Cartel Market item, real money!!)

Small Jedi Padawan Shrine

Torch Jedi Padawan Shrine

• 2 months later...

I'm happy to see, in the patch notes for tomorrow's patch, that several decos are getting fixes.

But will this poor Padawan EVER get her head back??? The Ossus decos have been out now for more than half a year, and it's a pretty dramatic bug on a lot of very prominent civic decos. Fix please. :(

• 6 months later...

More than a year on, and this poor girl is still missing her head.

Seriously?

The fact that she has her head (and her arms) in some models and not in others proves the correct coding is in there somewhere. Please take the time to apply it to the broken ones!!!

Again, many of these were decos we purchased with real money.

From early May of one year to late January of the next is less than nine months.

I feel like I've been pulled over by the Hyperbole Police. That's not a crusade entirely without merit, though, given that gamer hyperbole is one of the more toxic substances known to man, so for the benefit of those for whom hyperbole policing matters (and at other times that's been me), I'll point out that although my original post in this thread was made in May, in that post I made a point of linking to another thread where the headless Padawan issue was first reported, and that report was made in December of 2018. So it has indeed been over a year, at this point. And I'm sure the poor girl would like not just her head, but the arms and lightsaber she's missing in some cases too.

Edited by JediBoadicea

• 1 year later...
I believe some of these decorations depict a statue that was either vandalized or suffered weathering.

I commend you for coming up with an extremely generous interpretation. :D But for myself, I personally and sincerely doubt that that's the case.

For one thing, none of the other statues in the five shrine series (the Knight and Master versions) have any missing pieces. The Knight and Master versions of all five shrine series are perfectly intact, but the only intact version of the Padawan shrine is the regular sized Fountain Shrine.

For another, whenever a deco is intentionally rendered as "damaged" it has always said "damaged" (or some similar word) in the actual deco description; e.g., the "Damaged" Corellian banners, the "Damaged Imperial Shuttle," the "Damaged Turret," the "Damaged Wall Section", the "Shipping Crate (Damaged)," and several others. Just a keyword search on "damaged" in the decos UI shows them.

For a third thing, the exact same model that is used in these Padawan decos is used in previously existing decos too, and many in-game assets, always 100% intact.

Finally, when you look at these decos my opinion is that the pieces missing are very clearly missing geometry in the coding of the deco itself, where body pieces are inserted in the design; there's no hint of graphics-rendered damage here at all, pieces are just completely missing.

But hey, if I'm wrong, and in fact this is deliberate on the game designers part, then they can consider the purpose of this post to be changed to: Please release a Padawan version of all these decos that is intact so that they match the Knight and Master versions of the series. :)

• 2 months later...

Ah, an attempt was made to fix the poor headless Padawan! :D Thank you, guys! Sincerely. I'm always pleased to see old bugs being tackled.

Unfortunately, her regeneration therapy was only partly successful. They almost all have heads now, at least, which makes most of them much more useful (a single arm can be forgiven). Here's the breakdown, alphabetically:

Holofire Jedi Padawan Shrine - now missing just her left arm

Ossan Jedi Memorial - still missing her head, saber, and her left arm

Small Jedi Padawan Fountain Shrine - now missing just her left arm

Small Jedi Padawan Shrine - now missing just her left arm

Torch Jedi Padawan Shrine - now missing just her left arm

The Holofire Jedi Padawan sculpture used to look like a proper vandalized statue and I used it. With this incompetent and unnecessary “bug fix” it now just looks like a bugged decoration. What a waste of developer resources!

Now I need to go find the headless statue “Ossan Jedi Memorial”; on the Pub side there is an astromech “Decoration Merchant” in the same building/room as Reputation and Masterwork vendors.

Edited by mike_carton

used to look like a proper vandalized statue

Or damaged by nature after 300-some years. I guess I never assumed these were bugged, I just assumed they were intended to be displayed as damaged. I didn't like it personally, it was a little creepy that the only thing missing was the head. I can certainly understand the alternate assumption that if these are meant to be actively used/visited shrines, then they should have heads. But I can similarly appreciate the viewpoint of mike_carton and others who probably liked the damaged look for whatever they were constructing in their strongholds. So, it would be nice to have both options available, since it would be nice to have something more/new to on which to spend relics of ossus. It wouldnt be the first time a decoration or armor was changed and just as many people disliked the new version as people who hated the old.

Personally, I would have preferred the Devs fix the Alderaan grass clipping through the fountain base for several of those decorations. That breaks immersion for me more than reconciling in my head how the vandals left the holo-torch and fountain working, but decided to take a giant stone head.