[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

star wars the old republic : The phantom textures

star wars the old republic : Attack of the forums

star wars the old republic : Revenge of community

star wars the old republic : A new hope (no change needed)

star wars the old republic : Forums strike back

star wars the old republic : Revenge of the high rez textures

that should do it.

:D:d:d

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe we can get them to change the labels for the texture settings....clearly Low, Med/High are too subjective and prone to being buggy. We need labels that match up to what we actually see in game.

so....we could change what we have now to:

1) 1990

2) 2005

Then maybe someday we can get the 3rd option:

3) 2012

This idea is brilliant.

Definitely gives the player a real idea of how the textures will look in each setting.

There's an old expresion Bioware should head closely because the player base will never let this issue go.

The player base will not be cheated out of high res textures. Don't destroy your player base by pissing the vast majority of them off.

"Never piss against the wind because you'll piss all over your legs".

Solution:

Make it so your toon and companion and a few people within a certain distance load high res only because thats what most mmo's already do. This isn't rocket science.

I decided to reread Stephen's post again just now and the part that really cracks me up is how he explains that since this is an MMO, you need to be able to render many characters on the screen at one time. As if this is a new and unique problem that MMO developers haven't dealt with and addressed for the past decade. It really does connect with some of the issues I've seen in the game (especially the UI) where I found myself wondering if any of the developers ever actually PLAYED an MMO before. Why is Bioware starting from square one and reinventing the wheel with this and other issues that have already been solved and fixed a dozen times over in other games?

Wow that first shot looks gorgeous - are those the mythical beta textures?

Yep. This is what we had in early BETA. They were removed late BETA because they wanted to cut down on the size of data to download for the last remaining testers.

I decided to reread Stephen's post again just now and the part that really cracks me up is how he explains that since this is an MMO, you need to be able to render many characters on the screen at one time. As if this is a new and unique problem that MMO developers haven't dealt with and addressed for the past decade. It really does connect with some of the issues I've seen in the game (especially the UI) where I found myself wondering if any of the developers ever actually PLAYED an MMO before. Why is Bioware starting from square one and reinventing the wheel with this and other issues that have already been solved and fixed a dozen times over in other games?

Not to mention with the extreme level of sharding and exhaustion zones, you almost never come across more than another player or two. I'm pretty sure the game would literally explode in a large scale Ilum battle.

Yep. This is what we had in early BETA. They were removed late BETA because they wanted to cut down on the size of data to download for the last remaining testers.

No they weren't removed. They are still part of the game... they are still used for cutscenes. It has nothing to do with the size of the download. They just aren't used during gameplay.

That's right. The information for that quality of texture is on your hard drive right now, you just can't use it because Bioware doesn't think your computer can handle it.

Edited by Edryk

No they weren't removed. They are still part of the game... they are still used for cutscenes. It has nothing to do with the size of the download. They just aren't used during gameplay.

The point is that the user should be able to decide between aesthetics and performance. I'm pretty sure my machine can handle the high res textures, and even if I were to take a performance hit, I'd live with it for the eye-candy.

EDIT: If it became an issue for PVP or Raiding, the I'd *GASP* turn my settings down for those events...

What I don't like is having $1500 invested into a new gaming computer only to have a company basically tell me that I can't run high rez textures because the rest of the scrubs out there who are too cheap to buy a decent rig might complain when they turn the sliders up and get poor performance.

Edited by Nytak

I buy this explanation over all others, honestly. I strongly suspect there was a lot of concern about ~1 million users trying to download 40GB of data each. The disk size of the game mysteriously shrunk by roughly 50% before going live, hrmmm.

Not to mention with the extreme level of sharding and exhaustion zones, you almost never come across more than another player or two. I'm pretty sure the game would literally explode in a large scale Ilum battle.

It should be called by that movie with Will Smith:

Star Wars: I am Legend

I buy this explanation over all others, honestly. I strongly suspect there was a lot of concern about ~1 million users trying to download 40GB of data each. The disk size of the game mysteriously shrunk by roughly 50% before going live, hrmmm.

the high res are still on your computer and is easily seen using a stealth class and leaving mob alive around the cut scene location ... You will end up with trash being displayed in the back in high resolution.

Except that it's not at all true. You have the high res textures on your computer right now. You see them in cut scenes. You can see them, very briefly, while clicking the holoterminal on your ship. There is simply no option to enable them for regular game play.

That's right. The information for that quality of texture is on your hard drive right now, you just can't use it because Bioware doesn't think your computer can handle it.

The cut scene analogy is ambiguous at best, because I still have lower rez textures in those as well, I can tell because the armor and clothing for NPCS and characters are blurry and washed out just like in game. I believe this whole cutscene thing is more nonesense, because even though i have the game completely maxed out with a custom ini file, the cutscenes still show crap textures like the rest of the game.

Only time the textures show in high rez is when clicking on the holo terminal for that brief second.

So BW is not going to answer us today??

Seems like they got some major problems to address ASAP

They addressed the issue yesterday, basically we won't see high-rez textures for anything but cut-scenes for an undetermined length of time while they work on the visual 'fidelity' of the game.

The cut scene analogy is ambiguous at best, because I still have lower rez textures in those as well, I can tell because the armor and clothing for NPCS and characters are blurry and washed out just like in game. I believe this whole cutscene thing is more nonesense, because even though i have the game completely maxed out with a custom ini file, the cutscenes still show crap textures like the rest of the game.

Only time the textures show in high rez is when clicking on the holo terminal for that brief second.

I don't know why yours are low. Everyone else is reporting high-res in cutscenes. In any case, the point remains - the HD textures are on your hard drive. They were not removed to make the download smaller.