Returning Player Companion Question ...

Esspee

Was doing some Forum reading and came across something about Companions no longer needing Armor upgrades and that they are Influence only based. Does this mean I no longer have to re-gear my companions every 8 to 10 level's or so and just max their Influence to keep them safe and viable ? Another question about companions ... are they basically all the same as far as Heal's and Combat goes or are some still better than others. And if there are differences where can I go to get the details ?

Once again thanks for your support ...

Essp

That's right, your influence (formerly affection) now determines how well they perform in combat and crewskill missions, you don't need to gear them or send the one who has a crit chance on a specific crewskill. Also, influence can no longer go into the negative with dialog choices. The worst that can happen is that you gain no influence at all when they completely disapprove of your decisions.

You can now select whether a companion should be dps, tank or healer, and always use the same companion, but for harder content (master-mode chapters, soloing group flashpoints and uprisings) you still may want two high-influence comps, one melee and one ranged: Ranged start dpsing when you move out of range or line of sight, melee run to the boss when there's nothing to heal, and might run right into red circles (or drag them to you.)

Most companions are similar now in style and effectiveness (and during the KOTFE story you get most non-romance companions from other classes as well for 40-50 companions in total) There are exceptions, of course:

Doctor Lokin (Agent) is cooler than ever, doing his special thing only when fighting, and he kept his dots.

HK-51 is the best single-target dps, because he traded his aoe for another single-target ability.

Treek is now the worst healer (long casting time, weak heals) AND the worst tank (no taunts) in the game.

Some of the subscriber reward companions are very flashy and powerful, especially Z0-0M (very strong heals) and Shae Vizla (Beast of an AOE tank/dps), but you can't get them anymore.

Edited by Mubrak

The worst that can happen is that you gain no influence at all when they completely disapprove of your decisions.

Actually, that's not true.

* Greatly approves: +400 points

* Approves: +200 points

* Appreciates: +200 points, I think.

* Is amused: Not sure, but I think it can be a gain +200.

* Meh: nothing

* Disapproves: +50 points.

All of those gains are augmented by your "Gift of the Gab"(1) character perk, un to +30% (520/260/65).

(1) It's not really called that, but I don't remember what it is called.

Actually, that's not true.

* Greatly approves: +400 points

* Approves: +200 points

* Appreciates: +200 points, I think.

* Is amused: Not sure, but I think it can be a gain +200.

* Meh: nothing

* Disapproves: +50 points.

*Greatly Disapproves: nothing

The worst that can happen is that you gain no influence, you can no longer gain negative influence.

Edited by Mubrak

*Greatly Disapproves: nothing

The worst that can happen is that you gain no influence, you can no longer gain negative influence.

Oh, OK. There aren't many of those, of course. I guess Elara in A-77 when you go DS might be one.

And yeah, I did have one companion one time at negative affection. My Commando main annoyed Tanno Vik during the very first mission where you're together,(1) and got negative affection points for it.

(1) She's mellowed a bit since then(2), but it would probably be accurate, if unkind, to describe her incarnation prior to KotFE Chapter III as a self-righteous prig.

(2) She is, after all, Kylath Argentis, Empress of the Eternal Alliance.

Does this mean I no longer have to re-gear my companions every 8 to 10 level's or so and just max their Influence to keep them safe and viable ?

Companion gear is now only cosmetic. Their "level" is now based upon your level and their "influence". There is no need to go overboard worrying about their influence level - anything 10+ will do fine for ordinary PvE. For example, I recently got a new companion from a Cartel pack (Banshee) and I've been doing some Iokath dailies with it at influence level 10 with no problems.

On the other hand, that character also has 2 companions at influence level 50 (or whatever max is) for harder content and crafting.

Another question about companions ... are they basically all the same as far as Heal's and Combat goes or are some still better than others.

I usually use my companions as heals, and only occasionally use them as DPS. I don't know if there's any difference in DPS, and, overall, heals just seems mostly to vary by "type". Some are ranged, some are melee - some seem to use HoTs some seem more direct. But, I can't say there is any substantial difference between them. It mostly matters which one suits your playstyle and/or look.

You can now just use your romance partner without worrying if some other companion would work better,

Edited by JediQuaker

I usually use my companions as heals, and only occasionally use them as DPS. I don't know if there's any difference in DPS, and, overall, heals just seems mostly to vary by "type". Some are ranged, some are melee - some seem to use HoTs some seem more direct. But, I can't say there is any substantial difference between them. It mostly matters which one suits your playstyle and/or look.

You can now just use your romance partner without worrying if some other companion would work better,

There are some mechanical differences between melee and ranged companions:

* For a ranged player, a melee companion may end up out of heal range of you, and thus not healing you.

* For a melee player, the same is true if you advance through a crowd of foes while your ranged companion is fighting the ones nearest to him at max range.

* It's at least notionally feasible for the same to happen in a melee/melee combination, but pretty unlikely, while in a ranged/ranged combination, I'd vote for it being nearly impossible.

* Melee companions will usually end a fight somewhere near a melee character, and out in front of a ranged character, which is an advantage as you advance through an area. (They run *back* to you.)

* Ranged companions, on the other hand, end up somewhere near a ranged character, and somewhere *behind* a melee character. This is a disadvantage, as they must then play "catch-up" and they are notoriously bad at that.

Thanks all for your comments. So ... just to make sure I understand this correctly " I Do not " need to put 208 mods on my companion in order for him to stay level with me and relevant in a fight. I just need to keep working him towards the max Influence rating of ( 50 ? ). Is there a scale that matches level with Influence or is it better to max your fav companion out as soon as possible. This will be so cost effective I can't believe it. Any gear will do and mostly the stuff I like to see him in. Also, a bit confused about the melee vs ranged companions, How do I tell or what site has the info on this so i know who is melee and who is ranged. Right now I am a Gunslinger / Sab Lvl 69 and running with Corso as my Companion, set to heal. Once again, thanks for all the Info ..

Play Safe ...

Essp

To affirm what others have said: No, you do not need to put 208 mods on the companion, since the gear you can put on them is only cosmetic, it won't affect to their stats. Their combat performance is determined by their influence to your character, and the higher the influence is, the more health they have, the better DPS or healing they'll do. Edited by Rebamcfan

To affirm what others have said: No, you do need to put 208 mods on the companion, since the gear you can put on them is only cosmetic, it won't affect to their stats. Their combat performance is determined by their influence to your character, and the higher the influence is, the more health they have, the better DPS or healing they'll do.

You left out a "not" in the highlighted part: "No, you do *NOT* need to put ..."

There are some mechanical differences between melee and ranged companions:

Yes, you do have to be aware of where your healer is and whether or not they are in range. This happens no matter what sort of combo of ranged/melee character and ranged/melee companion you have.

In some cases, a ranged healer seems to get "stuck" back behind you and you have to go back to them, sometimes dragging enemies with you.

But, you didn't want it to be toooo easy, did you? :)

To the OP - to reiterate: Companion equipment is ONLY cosmetic. It does not affect the companions stats. So, bottom line, use whatever companion you like, and dress them however you want. :)

Edited by JediQuaker