The fail that is the resolve system

GhostBullk

Ok this system really has to go in favor of global DR on CC abilities!

It's stupid that I can get stuned with a full resolve bar it's stupid that roots don't even afect resolve it's stupid that meez that put u out of combat also depleet your resolve so you can be meez again...

DR need to hapen and fast

Edited by Moitteva
inappropriate content

By and large resolve works fine, but I do agree that roots not being affected by resolve at all feels a little punishing to melee classes.

And yes, the fact that there are some CC abilties which last so long that by the time they wear off, your resolve has already ticked away is a little strange too.

This system is horrible on many many levels. Of course the bootlicks will respond that the system is just fine and dandy and adds all sort of fun levels of strategery because you have to decide when to use your crowd control breaks lol. My main problem with it is you are basically forced to eat a bunch of crowd control to get to a immunity period that you won't make it to most of the time because you will be dead by then. Most pvp players are just not used to being able to have multiple crowd control effects work on them in a row. Its not fun. It also doesn't help that this game is chock full of crowd control abilities. Every class gets a ton of them.

Am I the only one who notices that every single thread complaining about resolve starts from OP that have no slightest clue on how doe the system works?

I know how resolve works. Just because they have a system and it functions the way they claim it should doesn't make it a good one.

Edited by Kwll

This is from a guide about resolve and why the system is so lunatic imo:

"Finally, how do I take advantage of this system?

An experienced player uses his damage mitigation abilities in preperation of an incoming CC. Then, while stunned and taking a beating, he doesn't take as much damage as the enemy is hoping to inflict. Thus the CC wears off and the player resumes his PvP having SAVED his CC breaker. Now, when the player gets CC'd again, he immediately uses his CC breaker (because two stuns will fill the bar) and gains immunity to all further CC for a good length of time. Getting this to work in Huttball while carrying the ball works wonders since most players have no idea their CC won't work when the target has a white bar of resolve."

Here we have illustrated what I hate about the resolve sytem. I am supossed to husband my crowd control breaks apparently. So if someone stuns me for 3 seconds apparently if I have a crowd control break I should consider whether or not to use my crowd control break lol. Also, as this clearly points out while there is a immunity period it takes times to kick in. You can be stunned, use your break, and then be stunned immidiately again. That is a bad system in many people's opinion. Whats so hard in undestanding that most people want a system where if they eat a crowd control spell or use a break they are immune to all crowd control IMMEDIATELY for a short period of time maybe something like 15-20 seconds. Its you pro cc spam monkeys that dont get it. This system sucks. Its needlessly complicated and it results in more cc landing then any other MMORPG with pvp that most people have every played.

Here we have illustrated what I hate about the resolve sytem. I am supossed to husband my crowd control breaks apparently. So if someone stuns me for 3 seconds apparently if I have a crowd control break I should consider whether or not to use my crowd control break lol.

Hey, guess what, thats how its supposed to work. This is first check to determine skilled players from clueless scrub.

I suppose you are from the latter, burining your CC break as soon as you force leap solo in the middle of 5 opponents and QQ over being CCed to death.

I prefer to wait, if I am going to survive that 4 second stun, then I'll be fine because healer will most likely get me up, but if I am ambushed alone by 2+ players then no point in using it as it would go to waste.

Thats called skill. One day you might get some. That'll be the day you will be allowed to say that you understand the system and can take the advantage out of it.

15-20 sec cc immunity, seriously, did you played MMO before or grabbed TOR after got owned in FPS too much?

Actually if you're being CC + focus fire at the same time, the best option is to die. Even if you have complete CC immunity, if you're being focused by 4 guys you're still going to die unless you've a 'Iwin' defensive cooldown (Marauder, Force Shroud). Using a lesser cooldown like Saber Ward just means it takes 2 seconds longer for them to kill you.

It's stupid that I can get stuned with a full resolve bar it's stupid that roots don't even afect resolve it's stupid that meez that put u out of combat also depleet your resolve so you can be meez again...

You use need incorrectly, if this doesn't happen what's the consequence? You leave, OMG how will the game continue on with out you. Oh you mean they need to do it to keep you subscribed, ok my mistake. Anything else they NEED to do?

My only issues with Resolve are:

1) I've repeatedly been chain stunned with a full resolve bar. For, like, 10-15 seconds from different sources. That needs to change. Is it a bug or by design that different sources of CC can affect you through Resolve? I have no idea. But it doesn't work in actual use.

2) Resolve can start ticking down /even when you're still under a stun./ That's absolutely asanine. The Resolve decay timer needs to start AFTER all CC affected by Resolve is gone.

Edited by Meluna

1) I've repeatedly been chain stunned with a full resolve bar. For, like, 10-15 seconds from different sources. That needs to change. Is it a bug or by design that different sources of CC can affect you through Resolve? I have no idea. But it doesn't work in actual use.

2) Resolve can start ticking down /even when you're still under a stun./ That's absolutely asanine. The Resolve decay timer needs to start AFTER all CC affected by Resolve is gone.

Those are both stated as bugs and are being worked on. Yes Yes certain fixes are being put out first, but not because they are more important, but because they are being finished before these bugs are fixed.

Just because you get stunned and then look at your resolve bar to see its completely full does not mean it doesnt work, it means you assumed you were full of Resolve BEFORE you got stunned.

I've never seen a stun go through after you've a full resolve bar. Most likely you were chain rooted and just assume you were stunned.

I've never seen a stun go through after you've a full resolve bar. Most likely you were chain rooted and just assume you were stunned.

Happens to me on a daily basis. I'll get stunned (pretty easy to notice myself doing the funky chicken and the fact none of my abilities work). A few seconds later, just after the initial stun wears off, I eat another one, and, again, can't move.

It is certainly possible it's resolve decaying one tiny little bit. If so, then it's condition 2 of my previous post. Either way, ~1 second of CC immunity between stuns is dumb.

Edited by OldManRelic

no he has a point some stuns (one of the sorc/sage stuns) can sometimes ignore the resolve bar. Which is a bug. Most people assume that resolve should break you free of your CC state, which is incorrect You have to pop your cc break after resolve is full, you know time it to the right cc just like you need to to in a DR system. Some people are just to scared to adapt, or change their playstyle, hence like my sig says, they die in horrible and entertaining ways.

^^^

Also, some classes (sorc/sage) seem to have their attacks add much less to resolve than others. For example, the sorc/sage aoe knockback seems to add only a small amount of resolve even though it also applies a CC after it knocks back. In comparison, the guardian/juggernaut knockdowns almost fill a resolve bar. Why?

Edit : and I don't know where else to put this, but what's with the AOE fear animation recently added? That thing is totally bogus. And why do republic get it when they lose some warzones? Typical one sided mythic bs.

Edited by ururururu

Happens to me on a daily basis. I'll get stunned (pretty easy to notice myself doing the funky chicken and the fact none of my abilities work). A few seconds later, just after the initial stun wears off, I eat another one, and, again, can't move.

It is certainly possible it's resolve decaying one tiny little bit. If so, then it's condition 2 of my previous post. Either way, ~1 second of CC immunity between stuns is dumb.

You do know that resolve fills after 2 stuns right, not one. That is when you pop your cc break. If you pop it on the first stun, your resolve will fill but you will still be stuck. Resolve does not break you out on its own. Read the resolve guide.

^^^

Also, some classes (sorc/sage) seem to have their attacks add much less to resolve than others. For example, the sorc/sage aoe knockback seems to add only a small amount of resolve even though it also applies a CC after it knocks back. In comparison, the guardian/juggernaut knockdowns almost fill a resolve bar. Why?

Edit : and I don't know where else to put this, but what's with the AOE fear animation recently added? That thing is totally bogus. And why do republic get it when they lose some warzones? Typical one sided mythic bs.

Read the resolve guide, roots, which is what sorc/sage knockback apply, do not work in resolve, they are technically not a full cc, since you can still use abilities you just cant move.

As to the last reply.. simply put, resolve is non-intuitive. Who designed it? I can't imagine an engineer actually did it because it is not logical.

And diminishing returns is? Getting feared, then stunned, then hexed then feared again, all at full duration works so much better how? DR just encourages different cc chaining.

By and large resolve works fine, but I do agree that roots not being affected by resolve at all feels a little punishing to melee classes.

And yes, the fact that there are some CC abilties which last so long that by the time they wear off, your resolve has already ticked away is a little strange too.

Yeah, resolve wearing down while you are currently being CCed seems to be a little fail to me. Seems to be completely counter intuitive to what resolve is supposed to do.

whether you want to quote the resolve bar guide over and over ad nauseum or not, the fact that a snare/root applies after the aoe knockback IS relevant to this discussion.

guardian/jugg = 3/4 of a bar = medium/long knockback no cc

sorc/sage = 1/4 of a bar = aoe short/medium knockback with root/snare

is it a surprise that sorc/sage is one of the most complained about and played classes? no, because of issues like their attacks not registering what intuitively is correct on the resolve bar. the abilties that win pvp are not equally tallied at all.

if you want a non-sorc/sage -- another example -- melee classes with jumps rooting an opponent for X seconds. this isn't counted on the resolve bar for some reason. that is poop.

off-topic but the "I can slip away whenever..." and "150% sprint after CC" get away tricks are also retarded. they should be skills that help pvp fights not get out of jail cards..

In certain situations (like being the ball carrier) you can easily get chain rooted with a full resolve bar up since you've 6 guys trying to stop you. You may feel pretty helpless but that's what you'd expect when 6 guys are trying to stop you. I had been rooted for 10 seconds while 5 meters away from the goal line before my Force Speed finally refreshed. But rooting doesn't cause you a loss of character control, so you can still defend yourself to some capacity.