Guardian Tank Gear

Mikalar

Looking over information here and the vendor I am still confused on what would be the best set gear for Guardian tanking. Seems my choices are:

Final Breath - defense increases for low health

Lord of Pain - endurance increase and bonus to challenging call

Undying - endurance increase and damage reduction

Seems Lord of Pain is best bet but not sure.

Help before I commit please!

4xThe Undying, 2xLord of Pain and 1xAmplified Champion for the defensive gearing (rarely required unless you are doing Nightmare operation and progressing through the harder content), the offensive alternative is 6xDescent of the Fearless and 1xAmplified Champion (simply cause it increases your tank DPS). Edited by RikuvonDrake

4xThe Undying, 2xLord of Pain and 1xAmplified Champion for the defensive gearing (rarely required unless you are doing Nightmare operation and progressing through the harder content), the offensive alternative is 6xDescent of the Fearless and 1xAmplified Champion (simply cause it increases your tank DPS).

You could substitute 2 pieces of Preservers instead of Lord of Pain, if you are doing sub-75 content (like level-locked flashpoints and operations.) The 2-piece Preservers has Shield Rating, instead of endurance, which will be disregarded in level locked content. I know the 6.0 patch notes say Preservers drops from the corellia flashpoint but I've gotten it from several master mode flashpoints other than corellia.

You could substitute 2 pieces of Preservers instead of Lord of Pain, if you are doing sub-75 content (like level-locked flashpoints and operations.) The 2-piece Preservers has Shield Rating, instead of endurance, which will be disregarded in level locked content. I know the 6.0 patch notes say Preservers drops from the corellia flashpoint but I've gotten it from several master mode flashpoints other than corellia.

64 shield seems a bit "meh" but I guess if you are only doing legacy ops and nothing at max level it's reasonable.

I'm using Lord of Pain, but if I were to do it over (which I might), I would take 4 Undying, 2 Preserver, and 1 Amplified Champion. The Lord of Pain 4-piece bonus is broken and doesn't work, and it's not scheduled for a fix in the next update. Who knows if it will ever be fixed.

When you compare the 6-piece bonus of Lord of Pain to Undying, I think Undying is a bit better overall. It gives you a defensive boost when you most need it. Stack on a tiny shield boost from Preserver and a defensive bonus from Amplified Champion, and you'd be in good shape. Alternatively, just take three defensive bonuses from three Amplified Champions.

I'm using Lord of Pain, but if I were to do it over (which I might), I would take 4 Undying, 2 Preserver, and 1 Amplified Champion. The Lord of Pain 4-piece bonus is broken and doesn't work, and it's not scheduled for a fix in the next update. Who knows if it will ever be fixed.

When you compare the 6-piece bonus of Lord of Pain to Undying, I think Undying is a bit better overall. It gives you a defensive boost when you most need it. Stack on a tiny shield boost from Preserver and a defensive bonus from Amplified Champion, and you'd be in good shape. Alternatively, just take three defensive bonuses from three Amplified Champions.

Lord of pain is being "targetted" for a fix in the next update, and I'm not regrinding anything until I see what the fix looks like and what the new set bonus looks like.

For reference

https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9828192#edit9828192

What there is no word on fixing is our utility, battlefield command and of course, force leap

Edited by KendraP

Hey Kendra, what augments should we be using as defense guardians now? Been away a while now and am not even sure what the new ones are.

Oh, and what would you use as your 7th piece after Lord of Pain.

Thanks. :)

Edited by Nikao
more info

Do note that the lord of pain set is currently broken, and while they have stated Tuesday is their targeted fix, there is no guarantee. I just put all my eggs in that basket already, and despise the rng grind fest too much to get 4 more pieces when they might be putting out a better set in a couple months anyway.

An amplified champion piece is the off piece in any set, but rolling the amps is irritating and can get expensive and/or grindy. I personally just went with armor pen, if you want a defensive amp thats useful in almost all circumstances, aural resistance. Note that this is only avaliable on the primary amplifier, the armoring (for all pieces) and the shell (for amplified champion). I personally reroll until I get at least purple or it becomes 100k a roll, at which point I swap armorings and start over.

Shield and absorb augments, the current max level ones being 286. These are also outrageously expensive thanks to crafting becoming one of BWs many new credit sinks, so whatever the best ones you can afford are.

For augments, I second Kendra on Shield and Absorb. You can get Shield/Absorb Augment 73 for around 300K each on GTN on my server. Shield/Absorb Augment 74 is 20 times as expensive, and the difference for a full set of 74's instead of 73's amounts to a whopping 1% extra in shield or absorb overall, so don't sweat the difference.

As for balance, aim for near equal shield and absorb. If you lean towards one, leaning towards shield is probably better.

Also, for those considering whether to buy Undying or Lord of Pain, there's one additional piece of data -- Undying drops with reasonable frequency from Conquest crates, Lord of Pain only very rarely.

I just woke up, so am a little bleary eyed, but I don't see a fix for Lord of Pain in the notes. Since that's what I have already which way are those of you like me that grinded it out going now?

I just woke up, so am a little bleary eyed, but I don't see a fix for Lord of Pain in the notes. Since that's what I have already which way are those of you like me that grinded it out going now?

See if it got fixed or not, keep moaning about it here it hopes it eventually gets fixed, and wait and see what the new set in June brings because I have zero desire to grind gear repeatedly just because BW can't fix bugs.

• 2 weeks later...
Lord of pain is being "targetted" for a fix in the next update, and I'm not regrinding anything until I see what the fix looks like and what the new set bonus looks like.

For reference

https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9828192#edit9828192

What there is no word on fixing is our utility, battlefield command and of course, force leap

Do we know, has Lord of Pain been fixed?

Do we know, has Lord of Pain been fixed?

being honest, the only thing I've done in swtor since the patch was to run enough toons through primarily solo stuff to get the guild to cq cap each week. And I did that as vigi spec.

Been taking a bit of a "break" for FFXIV which at least has a grind I haven't been doing for 8 years already.

Edited by KendraP

• 2 weeks later...