Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Can we expect PVP gear to be returning in 6.0?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Can we expect PVP gear to be returning in 6.0?

Lhancelot's Avatar


Lhancelot
01.22.2019 , 08:31 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Severith View Post
People have forgotten, rose tinted glasses, etc.

When pvp gear existed, and was easy to get, we still had pve leeches in matches, because max pvp gear was still better than their lower tier pve sets. We'd get the noob raiders

The real problem with pvp is apathy, and the return of expertise is not going to fix that.

If you want to deal with apathy, you need to make winning count for something, not just adding 8 UC instead of 20 to your UC grind. Warhammer Online had a system where random gear/loot was awarded to winners of a match. Nothing major or max level BIS, but some good stuff. I think they should go that route, randomly awarding a player on a winning team, biased toward teammates with good damage/heals/protection/objectives. They could make a whole line of BOE decos and pets for max level, mats and whatnot, and blues and purple gear for lowbies and mid.

Suddenly people want to win. Amazing.
This is a good point, and good idea. I think it is more than this though.

I believe a lot of the apathy from PVPers is also from the BS gearing system in place atm, as well as a totally stale meta that has had certain classes as apex predators while the same classes have been garbage for way too long.

This creates boredom and resentment among the PVPers.

Nothing like trying to min/max all your alts for PVP with a ****** gear system on top of keeping your favorite class shelved for 2+ years because it under-performs in the WZs and is simply no fun to play.

They really need to change up the power paradigm regarding the classes on this game, and making the gearing enjoyable or at least tolerable would be nice too.
The Revival of SWTOR: Petition for More Funding and Resources
(Click link Below For More Information)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=959696

VaeVictis's Avatar


VaeVictis
01.22.2019 , 08:43 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
Must have been plenty of bad players about. Which is usual considering they usually put 6 bad players on each team.

If youíve any skill, you will be only one of 2 good players on your team. Itís not hard to top the dps on any class when you play under those circumstances
There have always been and will always be plenty of bad players in this game, sometimes on your team sometimes on the other. Sometimes you carry sometimes you get to relax.

I usually play in a 4-dps premade and don't care who else I'm teamed with or going against. I've tracked all my matches since 5.9.2 to try to understand matchmaking and we win ~93% of our matches. I have a ~71% winrate solo.

If you're consistently losing the problem starts with you not the other players and not the meta. Take responsibility, or keep crying on the forums for daddy Bioware to make it right.

Trauglodyte's Avatar


Trauglodyte
01.23.2019 , 01:36 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by csmnstoica View Post
From a developer point of view having two divergent paths for gear is not good.

Also, some people may like double grinding for two sets of gear but I am not one of them.
Two different gear grinds isn't necessarily a problem. Where it comes problematic, in my mind, is when you have a PvE gear grind that is equally effective in PvP and has a higher gear level. Without expertise, the higher end PvE gear just gives too much of a benefit. That wasn't always the case and, I remember when Expertise came out, the full on PvP set player would trounce anyone in PvE gear, no matter the disparity in gear level. In turn, the problem with PvP gear was that you end up uber buffing the Tank+Healer combo.

There is a way to do it, I guess, in that you make it plausible trade pieces in and out, with an NPC. Or, you could keep PvP gear one level down from PvE gear but give an Expertise "aura" on every piece of PvP gear while simultaneously having Expertise reduce healing crit chance and critical healing amount. Being 90% of PvP capacity in PvE gear is fine. Being 90% of PvE capacity in PvP gear is fine. Being 100%+ of PvP capacity in PvE gear, with no repercussion, is bad and it gets worse by having a higher gear level.

I'm personally of the mind that SWTOR has always missed out on the trio of gear sources. Granted, I'm really out of touch with the current game, since I haven't played in 9-10 years (how long ago was it when they released Novare Coast?). But, there should always be an equal way of getting gear through raiding, PvP, and crafting. The levels don't need to be the same and the difficulty should always be equal. But, quest grinding, especially in avenues that people don't want to participate - I'm told that the Fighter aspect is sometimes a weekly requirement for a gear crystal? - is always bad. Make the gear process more fluid with options but ensure that gear with a primary focus excels at that focus and is weaker in the alternative space. People that focus on one aspect of the game should be rewarded, more so, by doing that and PvPers shouldn't have to resort to ranked play to get the Nightmare mode equivalent of gear, at least that was the way it was way back in the day.

By the way, since I'm kind of out of touch, if I'm wrong on any of the above, do me a solid and patiently tell me where I'm off. I'm still trying to catch up to everything that has changed.
To die is simply to end the cycle of pain!

Seterade's Avatar


Seterade
01.25.2019 , 02:04 PM | #24
the design of expertise was to seperate pvp content from pve. a pvper in ranked gear couldnt compete in NiM operations and a NiM gear pver couldnt compete in ranked

Pve gear took MUCH longer to grind, because rpg pve has always revolved around "progression" you work for something, you earn it, then you turn around and work for the next level. Pvp however is considered "action rpg" since it is a rpg game removing gear entirely would be antigame design, but it was designed to be quick as possible so the primary gameplay was skill v skill rather than gear+skilll v skill
I have strong, forward mannerism because I have learned in my life rarely does mincing words and kitty footing around the elephant in the room get better results than clearing the air and a face to face real talk.

limenutpen's Avatar


limenutpen
01.26.2019 , 02:40 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
I believe a lot of the apathy from PVPers is also from the BS gearing system in place atm, as well as a totally stale meta that has had certain classes as apex predators while the same classes have been garbage for way too long.
They really need to change up the power paradigm regarding the classes on this game, and making the gearing enjoyable or at least tolerable would be nice too.
I think in regular War Zones all classes can work, if someone takes some time to learn them. Some classes are more difficult to others, but that is life. It is in Ranked Arenas where there is a HUGE problem since it is just a DPS fest that some classes become useless.
If all you care is your DPS nos then yes some classes are better to others to do that. It will always happen in any MMO with different classes. SWTOR has 4 x 3 a total of 12 different stances, of which six are healing and tanking. Then there is also the Dark and Light version abilities which in the past has favored one or the other due to the type of image it does.
Nutpen: Sage, Lim'suno: Scoundrel, Lei'Suno: Commando, Color-full: Sentinel
Los'suno: Assasin, Diopen: Juggernaut, Grandblu: Powertech, Brontolon: Sniper

Lhancelot's Avatar


Lhancelot
01.26.2019 , 11:23 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by limenutpen View Post
I think in regular War Zones all classes can work, if someone takes some time to learn them. Some classes are more difficult to others, but that is life. It is in Ranked Arenas where there is a HUGE problem since it is just a DPS fest that some classes become useless.
If all you care is your DPS nos then yes some classes are better to others to do that. It will always happen in any MMO with different classes. SWTOR has 4 x 3 a total of 12 different stances, of which six are healing and tanking. Then there is also the Dark and Light version abilities which in the past has favored one or the other due to the type of image it does.
Yeah, I am just saying they need to mix it up.

I don't care when one class or two seem to dominate, as you say that is always the case in PVP on games. However, it's been over 2 years that this present meta has been running.

They need to change it up. Make sorcs number one, or PTs, or operatives, change it up! Change some of the heals up, etc. I just grew a bit bored of the same meta for so long.

I didn't quit for that reason though, personally. I quit because I refuse to do another useless crappy gear grind with a brand new system overlapping the crate system.
The Revival of SWTOR: Petition for More Funding and Resources
(Click link Below For More Information)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=959696

Toraak's Avatar


Toraak
01.26.2019 , 11:42 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by DavidAtkinson View Post
We will see who will laugh hard in the end if they indeed bring back PVP gear and we will have to grind 2 sets the same way we have to grind Ossus now.

When talking about return of PVP gear some people on this board think that it will be 4.0 all over again. Think again... I really don't think it will be as easy as it was back then based on their gearing practices since 5.0.
I'd laugh even more, when PvP players complain because players are in PvE gear for WZ's. Just like what used to happen before PvP and PvE gear got merged.
Referral Link: www.swtor.com/r/Q4Tp3P

Seterade's Avatar


Seterade
01.26.2019 , 11:54 AM | #28
pvp players are complaining that people are in pve gear in wzs.



discuss. :P
I have strong, forward mannerism because I have learned in my life rarely does mincing words and kitty footing around the elephant in the room get better results than clearing the air and a face to face real talk.

Rion_Starkiller's Avatar


Rion_Starkiller
01.26.2019 , 12:14 PM | #29
If pvp gear returns, I think bolster needs to be reworked.

The highest pvp gear needs to be equal/bolstered to the highest non-nim pve gear, and vice versa.

NiM gear should be it's own creature. Sure, some non-nim raiders should be able to a few pieces of NiM gear, but NiM gear shouldn't perform better in pvp than the highest pvp gear.
-Beruhl
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Lies have been corrected.