Expertise question

LizarKing

Does the bonus to damage/healing received from expertise stack on top of what you have from mastery and power or is it only calculated from the expertise stat? for example if i have a 300 hundred bonus to healing from power and mastery will that stack on top of a 500 bonus to healing from expertise for 800 total? Or do i only have a 500 bonus in a warzone?

Does the bonus to damage/healing received from expertise stack on top of what you have from mastery and power or is it only calculated from the expertise stat? for example if i have a 300 hundred bonus to healing from power and mastery will that stack on top of a 500 bonus to healing from expertise for 800 total? Or do i only have a 500 bonus in a warzone?

Assuming both players have 2018 expertise, it cancels out. If one player has 2018 expertise and the other has less than 2018 expertise, then the player with more expertise will have more pvp bonus damage/healing/damage reduction when fighting that player with less expertise.

So if you have 2018 expertise as a dps and you're fighting somebody with 2018 expertise, you'll have 0 damage advantage, if you're fighting somebody with 1500 expertise, +100 damage advantage, if you're fighting somebody with 1000 expertise, +200 damage advantage, etc. (not exact numbers, just given as an example of increased effectiveness/damage output vs players with less than 2018 expertise) Likewise, your damage reduction will increase fighting someone with less than 2018 expertise and their damage reduction will decrease the less expertise they have.

So basically, you do more damage and are harder to kill with max expertise vs somebody with less than max expertise. At the same time, the person with less expertise does less damage and has less damage reduction fighting people with max expertise.

There's also the pvp trauma debuff when engaging in pvp combat that reduces healing.

This applies to both warzone and pvp instances on planets fighting other players, if you have pvp gear and they have some or none, you have an advantage from the pvp stats, if both have full pvp gear, it again cancels out.

TL;DR, it's a relative stat, relative to fighting other players in pvp combat. Having pvp gear alone won't increase your damage/healing/damage reduction vs npcs, but it will against players IF they have no expertise/less than max expertise, otherwise assuming 2018 vs 2018, it cancels out.

Edited by SomeJagoff

Without getting into numbers and trying to compare stats vs expertise, let's just simplify it.

"Expertise is your main stat in pvp, no other stats matter if you don't have full expertise. The less expertise someone has the more damage they take and less they deal"

Anyone who has done some massive crit damage against anyone in a WZ, has done that to someone with very low expertise.

My biggest hit was about 40k on my merc against a Jugg tank, of course I got yelled at and called a hacker until everyone found out the person had sub 900 expertise. The Jugg player just expected that because they had the absolute best pve gear available, that they were unstoppable. So it's not that their setup doesn't absorb normal damage, it's that it allows others with full expertise to actually do much higher damage than should be possible.

It's hard to work out the mathematics of the way expertise is setup, I'm certainly not going to try because it's only going to confirm that if you sacrifice expertise for higher main stats, you going to be in a world of pain.

The 208 set is better than the 204 set.

A fully augmented 208 set is better than a 208 set without augments.

Both sets have 2018 expertise.

Stims are not useless in PvP.

So yes, your other stats like power, mastery and endurance do matter.

Under bolster, in lowbies and mids, things work slightly differently. But the basics are the same, provided you have as much expertise as is possible by filling all your gear slots, your other stats do play a part. So use a stim and make sure all your armoring/mod/enhancement/barrel/hilt/crystal slots are filled with <190 PvE items.

Don't use augments in lowbies or mids though. The ones provided by the bolster system are much better than any you can equip until you are level 64 and can apply the best ones.

Edited by uppen