Totally Impressed with 50-55 content

Daekarus

So, after a long break and fighting altaholism, I finally got a character to 55, and I have to say I'm really pleased with what I've been through. The Makeb story was interesting, engaging, and the environment and voice acting were great. I really appreciate that they went out of their way to make the dailies associated with that area more interesting and integrated in with the story, and the fact that you get to "pick 3" for the weekly means more variety. I like it.

I just got to Oricon, and it's even better, although it's certainly harder. I like the Dread Masters storyline, and the art team did a great job making the place look creepy without just redoing the Nightmare Lands on Voss. I can't comment on the rest, but it looks promising.

One thing that I appreciated was the little bit of extra work that went into the bosses in the higher level content - they look good, and they're not pushovers. I have literally never been killed by a solo elite level boss in normal quest content, and I got owned by the ... well, whatever the boss is that is the source of the tentacles on Oricon. Had to switch Elara to healing stance and step up my game - no ignoring mechanics! That's how it should be.

I have two complaints:

1) Can haz credits? I'm completely space-poor. 100%, and I don't buy things from the GTN. I'm thinking some grinding of dailies is in my future.

2) Itemization is really odd. The 156 gear I'm getting on Oricon has alacrity and accuracy on tanking gear. In going from 140s to 156s I've lost a significant percentage of my shield chance, and I'm not even decked out in 156s yet.

I have two complaints:

1) Can haz credits? I'm completely space-poor. 100%, and I don't buy things from the GTN. I'm thinking some grinding of dailies is in my future.

2) Itemization is really odd. The 156 gear I'm getting on Oricon has alacrity and accuracy on tanking gear. In going from 140s to 156s I've lost a significant percentage of my shield chance, and I'm not even decked out in 156s yet.

1) If you don't want to do dailies, play the GTN. Craft and sell. Augments, Augmentation Kits MK-9, Grenades, Dyes and Stims are always in demand and they are pretty easy to make. You won't make as much money as you would by doing dailies but at the very least you won't be space-poor. Or you can combine the two (do some dailies but not all of them and gather mats/craft while doing so) and make more money than you'll ever need, if you don't overspend.

2) Switch out the mods you don't need. Theoretically, the reasoning behind useless stats on your gear is so that you will spend more time getting to BiS than you normally would (e.g. by doing an OP and getting the BiS gear with the BiS mods in it already).

Edited by TheNahash

Have you heard of Oricon bonus quests ? They're somewhat hidden, but have the merit to give you rewards as if they'd be some main quests, while only needing a minimal amount of additional time.

Have you heard of Oricon bonus quests ? They're somewhat hidden, but have the merit to give you rewards as if they'd be some main quests, while only needing a minimal amount of additional time.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for them. I've done everything I've come across on Oricon so far, but that doesn't mean I didn't miss them.

I am more impressed now than I was in the past as a casual PVE player. Some points I would make, pros and cons that exist today from my perspective.

Pros

1) Tactical flashpoints. Cant even begin to explain how much this has changed my view of end game content for the better.

2) Makeb comm vendor. Great way to get entry level mods to get you started, about equal to crafted blue 148s.

3) Treek. Again, makes a big difference IMO to have a healer that carries heavy armor and can truly tank, plus packs a punch even in healing mode. The best companion in the game IMO, makes Makeb and Oricon much more enjoyable.

Cons

1) Planetary comms drop far too often on Makeb and Oricon....as do the essentially useless (IMO) heirloom kits. Reputation tokens and items would be far more useful IMO.

2) Resources are far too scarce for level 9 materials compared to level 5 materials IMO....naturally one has to take into account that level 5 mats are not used as often, but still the supply rate seems much lower than it should be.

3) Bosses, along with a few mobs here and there are really murderous on Makeb and Oricon, especially Oricon. It's a bit much for my own personal taste....having to group to run solo content is a bit silly IMO but passable, with no foreknowledge is even more silly. Solo player beware. A bit of a warning would be nice.

4) Placement of dailies on Makeb same as some other planets, you have to hunt to find them. Never liked this. Better to place the missions right close to the landing point. On Oricon this does not seem to be a problem.

Just my view. Tactical flashpoints means I participate in end game play, unlike before....the chances of me ever running a hard mode of anything is next to none, I'm pretty sure I haven't even run all the story modes.

And Ops? More likely I will spontaneously burst into flames. I do not belong in that kind of content. Tactical runs are just my kind of koolaid. :)

Edited by LordArtemis

I am more impressed now than I was in the past as a casual PVE player. Some points I would make, pros and cons that exist today from my perspective.

Pros

1) Tactical flashpoints. Cant even begin to explain how much this has changed my view of end game content for the better.

2) Makeb comm vendor. Great way to get entry level mods to get you started, about equal to crafted blue 148s.

3) Treek. Again, makes a big difference IMO to have a healer that carries heavy armor and can truly tank, plus packs a punch even in healing mode. The best companion in the game IMO, makes Makeb and Oricon much more enjoyable.

Cons

1) Planetary comms drop far too often on Makeb and Oricon....as do the essentially useless (IMO) heirloom kits. Reputation tokens and items would be far more useful IMO.

2) Resources are far too scarce for level 9 materials compared to level 5 materials IMO....naturally one has to take into account that level 5 mats are not used as often, but still the supply rate seems much lower than it should be.

3) Bosses, along with a few mobs here and there are really murderous on Makeb and Oricon, especially Oricon. It's a bit much for my own personal taste....having to group to run solo content is a bit silly IMO but passable, with no foreknowledge is even more silly. Solo player beware. A bit of a warning would be nice.

4) Placement of dailies on Makeb same as some other planets, you have to hunt to find them. Never liked this. Better to place the missions right close to the landing point. On Oricon this does not seem to be a problem.

Just my view. Tactical flashpoints means I participate in end game play, unlike before....the chances of me ever running a hard mode of anything is next to none, I'm pretty sure I haven't even run all the story modes.

And Ops? More likely I will spontaneously burst into flames. I do not belong in that kind of content. Tactical runs are just my kind of koolaid. :)

SM Ops are like one big tactical Flashpoint and very fun.

SM Ops are like one big tactical Flashpoint and very fun.

Yeah, no. That's not remotely on the same level. It's definitely fun but it's closer to a HM flashpoint with extra mechanics to know of and a little less incoming damage, than a tactical.

Yeah, no. That's not remotely on the same level. It's definitely fun but it's closer to a HM flashpoint with extra mechanics to know of and a little less incoming damage, than a tactical.

Guess I should clarify: With so many 180 geared/experienced players SM Ops feel like tactical FP's now. 16 man groups nowadays can easily carry a few new-to-Ops players.

Yea, I don't have 180 gear, not even close, so Ops is not even an option. I think im sporting 156 at best on my 55s at the moment.

156 is enough for TFB and S&V.

Couldn't hurt to start augmenting and to buy a prototype stim, but really, gear isn't an issue. Unless you're a tank, I guess.

But really, you're not supposed to be getting "ultimate" gear before you step into operations...

Yea, I don't have 180 gear, not even close, so Ops is not even an option. I think im sporting 156 at best on my 55s at the moment.

You don't need the 180 gear for ops. I don't know all the conversions but using the "now old" terms; 66 stuff should be fine and the 69 for sure is more than adequate for SM ops.

156 is enough for TFB and S&V.

Couldn't hurt to start augmenting and to buy a prototype stim, but really, gear isn't an issue. Unless you're a tank, I guess.

But really, you're not supposed to be getting "ultimate" gear before you step into operations...

Right, but I'm talking my gear is mostly crafted 148 blues with blue 28 crafted power augments, with the occasional 156 sprinkled in as I can get them. I'm lucky if I have dread guard relics.

...and I am not a pro player to boot. Not even close. So I do not belong in Ops...perhaps if I run dailies on Cz, Makeb and Ori long enough and get 156s across the board I can consider it. But I still think it's unlikely.

Edited by LordArtemis

Right, but I'm talking my gear is mostly crafted 148 blues with blue 28 crafted power augments, with the occasional 156 sprinkled in as I can get them. I'm lucky if I have dread guard relics.

...and I am not a pro player to boot. Not even close. So I do not belong in Ops...perhaps if I run dailies on Cz, Makeb and Ori long enough and get 156s across the board I can consider it. But I still think it's unlikely.

If your on ebon hawk, you more than welcome to join in any sm ops I do. You don't have to be that great a player, in fact there is no more mechanic issues ops than Czerka fashpoints. If you can push through those you are more than ready.

Don't short change yourself :) enjoy that stuff, IMO ops are just more people really and so not harder just more social

Don't short change yourself :) enjoy that stuff, IMO ops are just more people really and so not harder just more social

You'd be a rarity my friend. While I encourage the OP to start being adventurous and getting into ops, it's certainly an uphill, muddy struggle. Be prepared for people to call you out and be complete a-holes. The expectation in an op-group is you know your stuff. If you don't, be open right off the bat. Zero hesitation, "Hey guys, this is my first run through X"

I've had amazingly kind groups, and I've had groups kick people for having full 180 but not have the 168 set bonus. I got into them by being quiet and mimicking those with higher health (a quick indicator of gear quality). I'm a DPS which basically means kill the adds and avoid enemy aoe markers on the ground. If you're heals or tank, my heart goes out to you.