Best Sith Sorcerer Build

terdbird

As of now Im madness spec. Im stacking willpower and endurance. More Will then Endur. Does that sounds right. Should I be stacking any other specs such as alcricity or however you spell it. Maybe stack crit chance as well. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. TY! :D

There are a bunch of different schools and approaches to min/maxing stats. For instance, some healers are stacking power while other's think it's more important to stack crit, it's basicallt higher base heals vs lower base heals but more crits.

That said, there's little to no reason for a pure madness spec to stack alacrity. You won't be using abilities where it matters, give or take a heal. You want surge to be in the 75 % area, some take it even higher. Crit is debateable, I'm trying to keep all my stats somewhat balanced but I've seen a few madness specs who sacrifice it for power. The problem with min/maxing for a certain spec too much is that your gear won't be ideal if you decide to re-spec. Ideal would be if you could have a crit chance around 35 % buffed but that won't happen if you min/max too much for power.

As for mods, there are generally two type of mods in this game. There are the ones with a high main stat and only +11 or so secondary stat and then there are those with a slightly lower main stat but a significally higher secondary stat. I wouldnt recommend the ones with a low secondary stat (secondary stat not being endurance). To make it easy for yourself you could count power and willpower as adding equally much to your force bonus. So if you have one mod with 55 willpower and 11 power and another with 45 willpower and 35 power you'll get more bang for the buck with the second one. In the event that the secondary is something els, surge/crit/ etc, you'll also want to get the mod where you get the most of it or you wont be able to get those stats up.

You're a DPS so you shouldnt even look at the amount of End your mods are carrying. If you for instance start playing around with force wielder stuff you'll lose 10 main stat per mod.

Back to your spec, madness is great IF you are playing on a premade and have support. I personally don't think it's that great when pugging. Two reasons.

1. You'll have little to no support from your team mates. in a pug so survivability becomes more important. You have an extra stun in the pure madness spec but the bubble stun in a hybrid along with better bubbles are IMO currently superior. Add to this that you can help the rest of the team by giving them low-resolve stuns.

2. Kiting on madness is fine....until you've had to do it three times in a row and now are out of force. A hybrid will vastly improve your force economy. This will allow you to throw bubbles on other players, without ever running out of force, and use schock more often.

• 8 months later...

I've never seen Sorcerer explained so well in so few words. Cleared up quite a few of my questions, too, even though I have finally gotten my Sorcerer to 55. So I've been playing one for ... well, since launch off and on. I have what is maybe a strange hybrid build.

I have 2/14/30 as I like to retain the versatility of this class. I've been running into problems sometimes with running out of Force. This usually only happens when I'm healing in a group doing Heroics or Flashpoints. Haven't tried PVP yet and from what I've read so far I will probably not do very well there. I have built this character for solo leveling and have run into very few problems while doing that.

The 2 points in Corruption are in Force Suffusion. I'm thinking about doing a respec to try to get a little more Force efficiency but I'm not sure it would be worth it. I really don't know what to do. All my gear is for Willpower first, Endurance second, with scattered (and I try to keep them sort of balanced) other stats like Critical Chance, Power, Alacrity, etc. Is that a sound strategy? I don't know. It seems to work well while doing missions. I guess I need to just jump into PVP and learn the hard way. LOL

Thanks again for a compact, useful post!

I am going to put up for debate alacrity for madness because for lightning/tk throw is spammable and force potentcy is the entire duration for that ability. I personally play tk sage and am planning on making 2 suits one power which I am almost done and the other crit. There is not much info on these forums about stats min/maxing for sage sorc because it takes a while to go far enough to the extreme to know whether it is viable.

I am going to put up for debate alacrity for madness because for lightning/tk throw is spammable and force potentcy is the entire duration for that ability. I personally play tk sage and am planning on making 2 suits one power which I am almost done and the other crit. There is not much info on these forums about stats min/maxing for sage sorc because it takes a while to go far enough to the extreme to know whether it is viable.

Yes, finding good information about this is very difficult. Being a mostly Madness Sorcerer, I was playing with Alacrity for a while. I was looking for Alacrity boosts on all the mods I was buying with Planetary Commendations in addition to Willpower and Endurance numbers. But I never really seemed to see much benefit from it. I shaved a tenth of a second off Lightning Strike's cast time, maybe two tenths off the cast time for Dark Infusion. I was not impressed. Kinda discouraged, actually.

Maybe I'm confusing myself here, but on second reading of the explanatory post it almost seems like I shouldn't worry about Alacrity at all and should instead focus on Power and Willpower.

For the sake of argument and education, how much Alacrity do you need and how much does that reduce other numbers like Power, Critical Chance (Force), Surge Rating, and all the others that I can't recall right now? I mean, you only have so many pieces of gear which can only have so many mods each and on each of those mods they only have so many stat boosts. Am I making this more complicated than it really is?

Is it better to try to balance these "secondary" stats, like the explanatory post suggests? Or is it better to boost a specific one to maximize ... say damage? Or minimize cast times? Maybe my understanding is imperfect but it seems to me that to get the most damage you possibly can you want high Willpower, Power, Critical Chance, and/or Critical Multiplier (is this "Surge" rating? I'm really not sure)?

Am I on the right track with my gear (I know, I don't have all the specifics of all my gear posted, that would take too much time for this "ultra casual" player. Let's just say I look for Willpower first, Endurance second, then try to keep the rest mostly balanced)? Should I be pursuing a specific armor set or something like that? Where is the best place to find this information, anyway? I have run searches on the web but they never really seem to get me anywhere that seems reliable.

In the meantime, perhaps I'll go visit a War Zone and get even more humbled. lol

I'll keep having as much fun as I can, regardless. It's a GAME, after all!

Edited by Beebliebrox
Clarity

Yes, finding good information about this is very difficult. Being a mostly Madness Sorcerer, I was playing with Alacrity for a while. I was looking for Alacrity boosts on all the mods I was buying with Planetary Commendations in addition to Willpower and Endurance numbers. But I never really seemed to see much benefit from it. I shaved a tenth of a second off Lightning Strike's cast time, maybe two tenths off the cast time for Dark Infusion. I was not impressed. Kinda discouraged, actually.

Maybe I'm confusing myself here, but on second reading of the explanatory post it almost seems like I shouldn't worry about Alacrity at all and should instead focus on Power and Willpower.

For the sake of argument and education, how much Alacrity do you need and how much does that reduce other numbers like Power, Critical Chance (Force), Surge Rating, and all the others that I can't recall right now? I mean, you only have so many pieces of gear which can only have so many mods each and on each of those mods they only have so many stat boosts. Am I making this more complicated than it really is?

Is it better to try to balance these "secondary" stats, like the explanatory post suggests? Or is it better to boost a specific one to maximize ... say damage? Or minimize cast times? Maybe my understanding is imperfect but it seems to me that to get the most damage you possibly can you want high Willpower, Power, Critical Chance, and/or Critical Multiplier (is this "Surge" rating? I'm really not sure)?

Am I on the right track with my gear (I know, I don't have all the specifics of all my gear posted, that would take too much time for this "ultra casual" player. Let's just say I look for Willpower first, Endurance second, then try to keep the rest mostly balanced)? Should I be pursuing a specific armor set or something like that? Where is the best place to find this information, anyway? I have run searches on the web but they never really seem to get me anywhere that seems reliable.

In the meantime, perhaps I'll go visit a War Zone and get even more humbled. lol

I'll keep having as much fun as I can, regardless. It's a GAME, after all!

seriously alacarity isnt worth it for balance/madness. to get any decent return on it you have to stack a lot alacarity which cripples your surge rating. I don't even waste points in telekinetic focal point. Personally I go with power/surge mods & enhancements and use Willpower Augments.

The Bastion

Rellik - Jenna'syyde - Crackroxx

Edited by rlamela

The future is TK/Lightning.

^

Although my lowbie sorc is lvl 47, I have a lot of fun playing with the lightning spec since they buffed it. I feel sorry for madness sorcs :( Cleanse their dots and it's GG. Feel free to play the spec you like though, OP :)

People love targetting sorcs so you're going to need to buy assassin survivor sets and stack endurance and defense with I guess alacrity as secondary stat. Then enjoy getting smashed and mauled and ambushed for the rest of your life and know that 2/3 of those attacks will roll against your defense stat (cuz smash is force damage). Enjoy. :cool: Edited by JP_Legatus

People love targetting sorcs so you're going to need to buy assassin survivor sets and stack endurance and defense with I guess alacrity as secondary stat. Then enjoy getting smashed and mauled and ambushed for the rest of your life and know that 2/3 of those attacks will roll against your defense stat (cuz smash is force damage). Enjoy. :cool:

really? defence rating for dps build?

and people wonder why they lose warzones

The future is TK/Lightning.

I totally agree. 2 of my friends play a hybrid Light/Mad Sorc and It absolutely destroys everything. Force lightning with no CD which when spec'd into will proc insta cast Crushing Darkness or Lightning Strike. Then couple that with the combo in the lightning tree which allows Chain Lightning to be insta cast off a Lightning Strike proc. So in 4 GCD's you can see 15k+ damage easy.

The build is out there somewhere I just can't remember the link. This works better for pvp that pve but still works well

really? defence rating for dps build?

and people wonder why they lose warzones

Yeah, you're right. Defense rating on a dps build, what was I thinking.

I guess this means stacking endurance is totally viable from your perspective though eh?

Wow man. Just wow. :rolleyes: Maybe I should be less suble next time.

Edited by JP_Legatus

I totally agree. 2 of my friends play a hybrid Light/Mad Sorc and It absolutely destroys everything. Force lightning with no CD which when spec'd into will proc insta cast Crushing Darkness or Lightning Strike. Then couple that with the combo in the lightning tree which allows Chain Lightning to be insta cast off a Lightning Strike proc. So in 4 GCD's you can see 15k+ damage easy.

The build is out there somewhere I just can't remember the link. This works better for pvp that pve but still works well

If a hybrid build "destroys" everything, then wait 'til you see fully 36pt invested TK/Lightning. I used to dabble in TK/Balance hybrids myself, as it offered a better AoE pressure upon enemy groups, as well as easier for PvE in general like in dailies.

But then, I saw the light... and wham.. The addition of Thundering Blast/Turbulence to your attack rotation is like... it literally "melts" light/medium armored people. Currently, a 3 man attack combination of two melees + a coordinating sage/sorc is the best healer destroyer out there. Just eyeball the healer until their initial use of defenses (such as force barrier) are down, target that moment and wham, healer down.

Edited by kweassa

If a hybrid build "destroys" everything, then wait 'til you see fully 36pt invested TK/Lightning. I used to dabble in TK/Balance hybrids myself, as it offered a better AoE pressure upon enemy groups, as well as easier for PvE in general like in dailies.

But then, I saw the light... and wham.. The addition of Thundering Blast/Turbulence to your attack rotation is like... it literally "melts" light/medium armored people. Currently, a 3 man attack combination of two melees + a coordinating sage/sorc is the best healer destroyer out there. Just eyeball the healer until their initial use of defenses (such as force barrier) are down, target that moment and wham, healer down.

This. 100%. It's *********** ridiculous how destructive TK/Lightning is. I can kill healers in about 3 GCDs. Thundering - Recklessness- Chain Lightning - Force Lightning (With proc) - Lightning Strike. I've watched lowbie healers melt from just that rotation. I'm sure at level 55, it won't be as simple, but the bolded part is the truth. No need for 2 melees. A Sorc can harass a healer like no one's business, and all it needs is a Tank Jugg to finish the healer off (For interrupting and locking out)

I made a few other builds, but I still suggest full TK.

Main Hybrid: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#600ZccrbdRrcoMZcMfRs0z.3

Enjoy.

If a hybrid build "destroys" everything, then wait 'til you see fully 36pt invested TK/Lightning. I used to dabble in TK/Balance hybrids myself, as it offered a better AoE pressure upon enemy groups, as well as easier for PvE in general like in dailies..
Might work in a rated setting but I've never come across a full tele build that was even remotely challenging in normals, not even when that player has come from a top team and has been in a 4-man premade against my significally worse pug team. Sure, they will blow whatever crappy pugs I'm stuck with out of the water but a decent player will simply LoS and then you better have a couple of procs saved or you'll never catch him.

For PvE I find it to be extremely slow. It might not be slower than balance or a balance hybrid but it sure feels like it. At most stops you have to cast whereas balance will throw down FiB and then quickly have the companion end the rest in combination with perhaps project. Might be different if you're using a tank or heal pet, something I've never found a reason to do.

Edited by MidichIorian

As for mods, there are generally two type of mods in this game. There are the ones with a high main stat and only +11 or so secondary stat and then there are those with a slightly lower main stat but a significally higher secondary stat. I wouldnt recommend the ones with a low secondary stat (secondary stat not being endurance). To make it easy for yourself you could count power and willpower as adding equally much to your force bonus. So if you have one mod with 55 willpower and 11 power and another with 45 willpower and 35 power you'll get more bang for the buck with the second one. In the event that the secondary is something els, surge/crit/ etc, you'll also want to get the mod where you get the most of it or you wont be able to get those stats up.

I would agree conditionally depending on your stat priority. i think since the original poster clearly is pretty new it's worth pointing out that if you decide to min/max your stats you have to consider that willpower also improves your crit rating. Up to 30% (I believe, I haven't had to min/max since the level cap was 50) before you start to enter diminishing returns. So original poster, a good cookie cutter set up is to prioritize your willpower until your crit hits DR and then switch to power for the slightly higher boost to bonus dmg. Some people don't do this, and it probably won't affect you until you begin augmenting gear, but it's something you should keep in mind. Roll your mouse over your willpower stat to check to tool tip out so you know for sure how much Willpower helps you.

Edited by frankiejo

People love targetting sorcs so you're going to need to buy assassin survivor sets and stack endurance and defense with I guess alacrity as secondary stat. Then enjoy getting smashed and mauled and ambushed for the rest of your life and know that 2/3 of those attacks will roll against your defense stat (cuz smash is force damage). Enjoy. :cool:

This is clearly meant to either be a joke or some kind of bitter diatribe against sorcerers. Never ever use this stat priority, it's got down's syndrome. This is clearly some angry young smash monkey's idea of a joke, so I'll respond, hey man, keep jumping up and down and up an d down and call it fighting, you may one day smash enough times to top my damage. I doubt it, but it's possible.

This is clearly meant to either be a joke or some kind of bitter diatribe against sorcerers. Never ever use this stat priority, it's got down's syndrome. This is clearly some angry young smash monkey's idea of a joke, so I'll respond, hey man, keep jumping up and down and up an d down and call it fighting, you may one day smash enough times to top my damage. I doubt it, but it's possible.

It was not only clearly a joke to anyone with a brain, he already had to come out and say it was a joke like 10 posts ago due to someone else who apparently lacked a brain.

Well, that pretty much sounds like what I run (2/14/30). It's been pretty good for PvE. BUT, as far as PvP goes, I can see dispelling the DoTs could be quite crippling. They are good for a significant percentage of my overall D/S. I just can't help wondering if there isn't a better overall build out there. I hesitate to respec because it seems there is very little reliable information about the costs to respec. I mean, what if I hate the new specialization? How much is it going to cost to go back to what I had? Some people say the cost resets every week and that you get one free respec per week. Is that true? I've never respeced a SWTOR character before. Any knowledgeable responses would be appreciated immensely. I am a monthly subscriber if that helps answer this question.

Maybe I'll just try a full Lightning spec and see how it goes.

Im actually tempted to try this.

I hesitate to respec because it seems there is very little reliable information about the costs to respec. I mean, what if I hate the new specialization? How much is it going to cost to go back to what I had? Some people say the cost resets every week and that you get one free respec per week. Is that true? I've never respeced a SWTOR character before. Any knowledgeable responses would be appreciated immensely. I am a monthly subscriber if that helps answer this question.

As a subscriber you have unlimited free respecs, just hit up the respec guy in the combat section. If you have field respec all the better.

What would be its equivalent for the Sage ?