Why nerf FE?

This also would seem to have some unfortunate story consequences, since the boss death was open ended in the original version, but definitive now. He can't really come back anymore, which is a shame.

As for the instance itself, nerfing it makes absolutely no sense. It wasn't even slightly hard, even with starting 50 gear. Furthermore, this takes away the achievement of killing the boss without knock backs, which was still possible with some careful timing and high DPS.

This also would seem to have some unfortunate story consequences, since the boss death was open ended in the original version, but definitive now. He can't really come back anymore, which is a shame.

As for the instance itself, nerfing it makes absolutely no sense. It wasn't even slightly hard, even with starting 50 gear. Furthermore, this takes away the achievement of killing the boss without knock backs, which was still possible with some careful timing and high DPS.

Yeah, my guild's goal was always to kill him w/out knocking him over the edge. There was always a sense of accomplishment when you pulled it off.

Pretty garbage honestly, there's no sense in changing it after so long. Why "fix" this and ruin what was a very memorable moment in this game instead of devoting the same resources into fixing his proclivity to desync positionally? Seriously guys not every spider in the house needs to get crushed with a sledgehammer.

This is purely a story issue. Knocking him down the shaft like that leaves it too open ended since historically in the SW Universe when an emperor dies of a method where it can not be confirmed he died they come back almost always.

Malgus' defeat was always meant to canonically have him die, they just tried a bit of fan service and had the ultimate objective knocking him down a shaft just like ROTJ, or to a lesser extent Darth Maul. However I think there was too much buzz by the players wondering if Malgus ACTUALLY died. The developers just closed the hole.

Edited by Brittaany_Banks

This is purely a story issue. Knocking him down the shaft like that leaves it too open ended since historically in the SW Universe when an emperor dies of a method where it can not be confirmed he died they come back almost always.

Malgus' defeat was always meant to canonically have him die, they just tried a bit of fan service and had the ultimate objective knocking him down a shaft just like ROTJ, or to a lesser extent Darth Maul. However I think there was too much buzz by the players wondering if Malgus ACTUALLY died. The developers just closed the hole.

While there are story implications to the effects of the change, I don't believe the justification for the change has anything at all to do with the story. It's a fight that has a long history of functionality issues and complaints (warranted or otherwise). Honestly the idea that a year and a half after they released this content they would go back and change the functionality of a boss encounter to address "player buzz" about the fate of the character - especially when that very thing isn't problematic in any capacity - is kind of laughable.

There's nothing stopping Malgus from crawling out of the station somehow even if it looks like he really died. At any rate, the Emperor did die when he suffered the same fate. He had backup clones to reincarnate himself but the body he was currently inhabiting definitely died, so there's no reason to assume Malgus didn't die.

There's nothing stopping Malgus from crawling out of the station somehow even if it looks like he really died. At any rate, the Emperor did die when he suffered the same fate. He had backup clones to reincarnate himself but the body he was currently inhabiting definitely died, so there's no reason to assume Malgus didn't die.

What? NO! You stop sir, using logical reasoning based on evidence is not allowed here.

But seriously, why is it so hard for people to accept that Malgus was always supposed to be DEAD?

I don't think it's being nerfed so much as being fixed as at the moment it's, imho, the dumbest ending in the game. The great malgus who utters the echoing words 'Die or defeat me, either way the empire is reborn'....the great martyr of the empire.....falls down a hole without so much as a scream. At the end you're more like 'eh....where'd he go?'. I just hope that if they've removed the dumb ending they've given him a final speech or something. Always upset me how lame the ending to FE was in comparison to the foundry.

Oh and I'll be glad that I won't have to go into the final battle without some 'genius' making us try and get the glitch by making us stand at various corners of the arena...

They changed it because the mechanic was poorly implemented so it was very difficult to get him close enough to the edge to knock him off if even one person in your group didn't know what they were doing. I would have much rather they fixed it (just have him use melee attacks instead of force lighting <10% health) rather than removing it, but I've been in too many pug groups that had trouble with this to be upset. Plus, pretty soon no one is going to be running lvl50 FPs anyway. I'm just glad they addressed a problem. HK in Foundry has been horribly bugged since launch and I've been booted from the game in the first conversation in Foundry and the last in Black Talon for months and they don't seem to care.

They changed it because the mechanic was poorly implemented so it was very difficult to get him close enough to the edge to knock him off if even one person in your group didn't know what they were doing. I would have much rather they fixed it (just have him use melee attacks instead of force lighting <10% health) rather than removing it, but I've been in too many pug groups that had trouble with this to be upset. Plus, pretty soon no one is going to be running lvl50 FPs anyway. I'm just glad they addressed a problem. HK in Foundry has been horribly bugged since launch and I've been booted from the game in the first conversation in Foundry and the last in Black Talon for months and they don't seem to care.

Was never an issue for me.

They are probably thinking of making it easier on new, more casual, and even returning players who just want to q up and do a flashpoint to see if they will enjoy the game. (Frustrating and hard PUG flashpoints might deter these new players from playing!) Believe me I ha've been in group finder ECs, EVs and even once on Cademimu where there is somebody who mentions that its his first time playing and is new. Also i remember having a 14k hp tank in HM LI with his 16k hp dps friend who have not done HM LI before. I was ofcourse a bit let down but i walked them through the instance and told them it would be great to google a video and get a little bit more gear until we met a road block in the jumping boss (2nd boss i believe) and had to call it.

I think they should have left it. It was fun pushing him over the edge. It was a pretty simple concept. After the last (or even 3rd) 1vs1 kite him to the edge. Or I could force pull him and force push before anyone knew what happened. I think bosses are better when they have a mechanic and simply aren't tank and spank.

Also couldn't you defeat him in HM anyway if the dps was high enough?

I think they should have left it. It was fun pushing him over the edge. It was a pretty simple concept. After the last (or even 3rd) 1vs1 kite him to the edge. Or I could force pull him and force push before anyone knew what happened. I think bosses are better when they have a mechanic and simply aren't tank and spank.

Also couldn't you defeat him in HM anyway if the dps was high enough?

You could even do it in SM all because of the doubt mechanic.

I expect the reason is that the glitch existed for so long, that most of the people don't actually know how the knockoff mechanic is supposed to work.

I ran this twice yesterday...first one took 3 attempts to kill him, first one failed because he enraged because people kept using their grenades/knockbacks one at a time (I was healing on an operative, so once I had used my grenade, I was too busy to go get another). On the second run, both DPS were surprised when I pre-emptively explained the 2-knockback thing before the fight.

So yeah, letting him be killed outright is probably necessary to deal with all the F2P and double-XP weekend idiots that never learned to do the fight correctly.

I expect the reason is that the glitch existed for so long, that most of the people don't actually know how the knockoff mechanic is supposed to work.

I ran this twice yesterday...first one took 3 attempts to kill him, first one failed because he enraged because people kept using their grenades/knockbacks one at a time (I was healing on an operative, so once I had used my grenade, I was too busy to go get another). On the second run, both DPS were surprised when I pre-emptively explained the 2-knockback thing before the fight.

So yeah, letting him be killed outright is probably necessary to deal with all the F2P and double-XP weekend idiots that never learned to do the fight correctly.

For the love of sanity, they should just hint it on the pulse grenades or whatever else to make sure we don't really need this nerf.

Yeah, I don't actually remember the last time he was killed by knockback when I've played FE, it was always "killed by the jump glitch" and then that was patched and became "killed during the last one-on-one faceoff".

You could always kill Malgus. When your team outgeared the instance, it would usually happen. That said, when it happened it didn't seem like the canonical ending.

The glitch kill method needed to be fixed but removing the need to push him off didn't need to be how they did it. All they had to do was remove the mechanic where he leaps to random party members and that would have fixed it. They could have added another mechanic to compensate. Something else could have the same effect (i.e. random damage on the party) that would fit with Malgus from the trailers (maybe a damage reflect, a saber throw, a lightning cast or maybe he could pull someone in and smack them with a saber).

Tossing Malgus off the side was awesome. It did a great job referencing the Star Wars movies. It left some doubt as to what happens to Malgus, who is really everyone's favorite SWTOR character and leaving the door open on him is pretty important. It wasn't even like it was hard to do if you knew the corner knockoff method.