Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why do you think companions took/take such a long time to come back?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Why do you think companions took/take such a long time to come back?

Aryalandi
11.09.2018 , 01:20 PM | #11
Out of game answer: because the game developers decided to rush through the story and a great deal was cut that wouldn't have been otherwise, which is a shame because I actually liked the chapter driven storyline companions got to themselves for their reintroduction. Another thing is getting voice actors/actresses back, I don't think they will ever really give this game the funding it deserves (all our cartel money is lining someones pocket, not going into the game, as unfortunate as that is) so corners are cut, and content is harder to get out than it should be.

In game reason:

Because none of them actually like us, seriously.. try talking to almost any companion you have. Most of your vanilla-kotfe companions want you to go away, or at least not talk to them casually, or literally want to do anything besides chit chat with you.

Serious lore based answer:

Everyone had to move on with their lives in a galaxy without you in it, there was too much to do for them to keep looking for you and even the ones who knew the outlander was alive had reached a point where they couldn't just drop everything to go to you because their own work/lives were too important.

Some amazingly didn't know you were alive (Mako... seriously.. you have the Internet built into your head, no way you didn't know Vatani was still around there have to be a thousand vids of the outlander shooting up zakuul on holotube.. I swear she just hooked up with Akaavi and forgot about us... which is understandable... because Akaavi)

Some of the others have loyalty conflicts twards what you're doing like Elara or just plain don't want to risk ending up falling into complacently following you around again like Ashara.

IoNonSoEVero
11.09.2018 , 06:16 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Aryalandi View Post
Some amazingly didn't know you were alive (Mako... seriously.. you have the Internet built into your head, no way you didn't know Vatani was still around there have to be a thousand vids of the outlander shooting up zakuul on holotube.. I swear she just hooked up with Akaavi and forgot about us... which is understandable... because Akaavi)
I don't blame Mako one bit for going off with Akaavi. From a story point of view, IMHO it's realistic that after so many years, even if they were friends with the Commander, they would have needed to move on and find their own lives. And they might not have wanted to drop everything to rush back to the Commander's side because they might have been perfectly happy with whatever life they'd established for themselves.

The "I didn't know you were still alive/I didn't know you were the Alliance Commander" routine has to be one of the silliest plot holes ever, though. They've used that excuse with a number of companions now and it doesn't make any sense. As you say the Commander has been all over the Holonet. In the game alone it's mentioned multiple times. Ships come to Odessen in droves after KOTFE 16. When they go missing on Dromund Kaas in KOTET 2, it's galactic news. They can do another Holonet broadcast in KOTET 5, and then there's the one at Vaylin's palace in KOTET 6 and the one at the end of KOTET 9 where they take the throne, and the one after Umbara, and Darth Hexid mentions that they are on the Holonet...and...yeah. For several of those it's also mentioned that there's been a galactic channel cleared for the Commander, so it reaches the entire galaxy.

But all these companions apparently were living in the same cave where they had no Holonet access and never interacted with the outside world enough to know that their old colleague was leading the galaxy.

Swingkittie
11.09.2018 , 10:28 PM | #13
The most laughable one to me was Corso and Risha hiding out because they weren't sure if that was really the commander or some imposter. Really? Neither of them can recognize their love interest? That was just stupid.
Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!