Legacy Wars

NatashaTerenzio

( So, the temptation became to great not to. Contains some mild spoilers for SW and BH storylines)

“Big things, have small beginnings…” -Prometheus Movie.

Prologue – The Future

Darth Laresa Jinobie kneeled over an unmoving figure on the ground, her expression hidden inside the cowl of her robe. Behind her Jedi Master and Guardian Xerrin Jinobie had yet to release her attack position, her blue lightsaber glowing in the darkness around them.

It was almost a cliché scene. Almost. The crack of lightning illuminated the three figures below. Rain beat down on them, the grass beneath their boots more puddles than ground, unable to absorb the force of the storm fast enough.

“Why? Why… why… WHY?!” Each word that suddenly flew from Darth’s mouth grew louder than the last, her emotions raging. Darth Jinobie abandoned the unmoving figure, whirling around and surged to her feet. She had yet to draw her weapon. “You know my aims,” she hissed at the Jedi.

“I only know you are Sith,” Master Xerrin said with unwavering conviction.

“I would never have harmed you,” Darth Jinobie all but growled.

“But you would burn all that I stand for.”

“Oh, you frakking moron. Have you lost all reason?!”

“Your judgments hold no power over me dark one.”

“Fine. If it is the dark side of the force you wish to face, you will have it.” With one graceful motion she withdrew both her Lightsabers, bringing their menacing purple glow to life.

Xerrin twirled her lightsaber once, ready. “Your arrogance has blinded you. You will not beat me.”

“Oh, shut up.”

As their blades violently clashed, there was one hell of a disturbance in the force.

The Past

Chapter 1 - An Anomaly

Ilum, Eastern Ice Shelf

BFE

A chilly wind picked up the snow, flinging it carelessly. There was nothing around the two dueling figures but towering rocks of grey ice and endless plains of cold white. Lightsabers collided. Purple to blue. Consular Shadow Elliah Tosh Jinobie’s dark red eyes studied his student. His white hood concealed his dark grey skin. A Chiss Jedi Master – one of the first. An utter anomaly.

“Where is your mind now, Nadia?” Elliah asked, pressing his purple blade harder against his pupil’s.

Nadia’s face pinched. “I could lose you tomorrow… That’s all I can think about sometimes.”

“Use your fear. Do not suppress it. But you must control it.”

He attacked her swiftly, the double blades of his lightsaber cutting through the cold air without mercy. She would defend or she would be cut. She did not hesitate, her blue blade colliding with his, her body sliding, flipping out of the way of his attacks.

“She has improved.”

A mechanical, yet female voice behind him. Elliah’s mouth quirked into a tiny smile. “Hold Nadia,” he said. Nadia immediately halted, but jerked her gaze towards the interruption. Her eyes widened and she frowned. Elliah sheathed his lightsaber but Nadia did not.

“A Sith. I didn’t sense-”

“I am of the dark side but no threat to you child.” Darth Laresa Jinobie walked towards them, her face hidden behind the helmet, further obscured by the black and red hood over her head. A lightsaber waited patiently on each side of her hips, but her gloved fingers hung loosely.

“You received my message,” Elliah said. He touched Nadia’s shoulder. “It’s all right.”

Nadia looked at him, confusion and unease on her face. “You summoned a Sith Lord?”

“Easy, Nadia. I’ll explain. I promise. Just give us a moment.”

Laresa said nothing, merely waited. Nadia stared at the Dark Lord for a moment longer. Reluctantly, she sheathed her own double bladed lightsaber. “You’ll be all right?”

“I will. I won’t be long.” Elliah reassured her.

Nadia nodded tightly. She gave Laresa one last suspicious parting glance before she walked away.

Elliah came up to Laresa, pulling back his hood. “You could have warned me you would come so swiftly, wife.”

“There is no fun without surprise.” Her tone sounded amused. She pulled back her hood, and removed her helmet. Her right eye was mechanical. Additional implants curved down her cheek and jaw. “How many codes of the Jedi has your Padawan broken so far?”

“She is a Knight now. Well deserved. And she minds the ones that matter. That is more than enough.” Elliah took one of Laresa’s hands warmly between his own.

She stepped into him, pressing her lips briefly against the corner of his mouth. “You called for me husband. What is it?”

“Lancoro is coming to visit you.”

“You’ve seen something.”

“Only possibilities. He will need his mother, not the dark lord.”

“Silly Jedi. I am always both.”

Amusement moved across his face. “You know what I mean.”

“I will take care of him.”

“He’s important.”

“He’s your favorite.”

“Because he reminds me of you.”

A pleased smile slide across her mouth. Her eyes strayed over Elliah’s shoulder to the pacing Jedi Knight. Her smile turned darker.

“She loves you. Do you return her affection, or is her passion enough?”

His smile was quiet. Gentle. “I feel for her as strongly as you feel for him.”

A sudden chill swept into her eyes. “I doubt that.”

Ellaih touched her cheek. She accepted his touch, but it did little to change her expression. “You love him,” he said.

“Foolishly.”

“You are better for it.”

“Perhaps. But you will not presume to understand how I feel again. Not about him.”

“As you wish.” Elliah stepped into her, pressing his lips against her forehead. “I will see you soon, wife,” he murmured.

She did grace him with a quiet smile. Leaned into his touch. It lasted mere seconds though. She drew back and put on her helmet. She snapped up her hood and without another word walked over to her speeder.

Elliah watched her until she faded from sight. When he turned around, he was not surprised to see Nadia so close.

“What is going on?! You were… why were you touch-”

He moved swiftly, cupping her face between his cool hands and pressed his mouth to her protesting one. She did not hesitate to return his kiss and wrapped her arms around him. He drew back after long moments, both of them breathless. “There is serenity in passion. I will show you. And then I will tell you everything you need to know.”

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chapter 2 - The Bounty Hunter's Gone Soft

Imperial Fleet, Orbital Space

D-15 Mantis

We’d just gotten back on the ship and were headed for our next job. I was in the cockpit with Mako, feeding the coordinates into the galaxy map when she started giggling. Her amusement never failed to suck me in. I didn’t always let her see that though.

“What’s so funny?” Smooth nonchalance, that was me.

“So you wanna hear the latest news from the holonet?” She turned to look at me, laughter in her eyes. “There’s a lot of buzz about you. Apparently, you have a fan club now.”

I quirked a brow, leaving the computer station to come closer to her. “You gotta admit, they’re onto something.”

She liked my arrogance. Her grin and teasing tone was proof. “They are. Admiring you from afar. Way better than being close enough to smell you.”

Touché. After a good gun fight she usually herded me towards the showers with a vibro-prod. I changed tactics. “If one of us was going to have fans, I’d think it would be you.”

Score one for me. She got one of those, I’m-really-trying-to-control-how-big-this-gets smiles. “You’re really cute, you know that?” Anybody else called me cute I’d break their jaw. Mako called me cute I smiled. I didn’t do it that often. She knew it, and it must have made her realize what she said because she started back tracking. “It’s not going to work. You and me. It’s a small ship. Nowhere to go when things get ugly. We’re just not meant to be involved.”

I wasn’t buying that. Especially not with the looks she threw my way when she thought I wasn’t paying attention. “Just friends? End of story?”

“Strictly business.” I had to give it to her, she sounded pretty strong. Until she quietly added, “No matter how much you give me that… sort of melty look.”

A plan was forming in my mind. I let her retreat for now, after making sure I gave her another few seconds of my melty look. Back at the map I set our course for Hoth.

We spent the next eight hours in the cold. I didn’t mind it, but slight little Mako hated it. She toughed it out, though I did offer to use Torian. She refused, telling me she was no push over and to just keep going. She was cute when she was being tough.

Halfway into our current assignment, we’d made a new ally in our search. We also had some time to kill while Blizz the Jawa worked his magic on a device I was going to need to go beat up an unbeatable android.

“I saw a Cantina,” I said to her. “C’mon. Let’s warm up.”

“Yes, please. I can’t feel anything.”

So tempted, I was, to put that to the test. Patience, Hunter.

The Dorn Base Cantina wasn’t bad. I took off the bulk of my armor, took her hands between mine and blew warm air onto them. I knew she felt that by the expression that slid over her face and how fast she pulled her hands out of mine.

“That’s better,” she said quickly. “Thanks.”

“No problem,” I said easily. I looked at Gthyk and ordered us two mugs of Huttese Hangovers.

She could hold it down, and I loved that about her too. I hated it when women got sloppy and thought it was cute you had to carry their drunk, giggling tails around just to get some play.

“Wanna dance?” I asked her halfway through our drinks.

“One there’s no music. Two, you can dance? No way.”

I gave her a sly look and bought a token from the Gthyk. Easing on over to the jukebox, I dropped in the coin and selected Shake that Wampa Down, one of my favorites.

Mako burst into laughter at my selection, and I wasted no time in showing her my moves. She looked positively delighted when I put my fists up and shook my butt to the rhythm. I pulled her deeper into my awesome when I put one hand behind my head, stuck my other hand out and bop slid to the right. Then I did it to the left. When she got close enough I could grab her, we we’re really jamming.

It was just a good time. We stayed out there for two more songs, and then she actually wanted to go out into the cold weather. I picked up my armor but didn’t put it back on.

We didn’t go far, just outside the entrance way. It was snowing, no big surprise for Hoth.

She breathed in the cold air, letting it cool her off and I just watched her. I loved looking at her. She was the balance to this rough, utterly challenging, perfect life I’d chosen for myself. She was something I’d reach for once I’d holstered my blaster. Someone who wouldn’t mind the smell of smoke and a good fight.

She shivered, and I stepped closer, putting my arm around her and pulling her smaller frame against my side. She sighed and leaned into me. She kept her arms crossed against her chest, but I felt her cheek nuzzle, felt the subtle press of her body. Patience, Hunter.

“We should go see if Blizz is done,” she said after a moment. A bit reluctantly I might add.

“Okay.” I made sure my touch lingered against the small of her back as we walked back inside.

Blizz was just cool. I reaffirmed my vow that I was going to get him out of that cage once I was done on this planet. He could tag along with us, he’d already proven himself useful, or find his own way, but he wasn’t staying in there.

He didn’t have any updates for us. One of his parts had fizzed out, so he was making a new one. He’d snuck out of his cage and rummaged around the base for the repair items he needed. He’d been back before the Chiss guard had even noticed he was gone.

Blizz assured us he would be done by morning. That was more than fine by me.

“Now what?” Mako asked.

“We’ll head back to the ship,” I said moving in that direction. Already I was forming a reason to get Torian and Gault out of sight for a few hours. “I’ve got some work to do.” Lies, all lies.

She didn’t argue with me though, so we headed back to the Mantis. It was a good omen when I found a note from Torian and Gault to the right of the door. They’d gone to fence some cargo we’d taken out of Adascorp back on Quesh. I was glad they were making themselves useful. Gladder that Mako and I were now alone.

“No Gault? Really? What a perfect end to the day.” Mako grinned and moved for the stairs. I was getting ready to disagree with her. I dropped my armor and came up behind her. She stilled with one foot on the step as I halted her movements with my hands on her hips.

“Coro…?” She liked the latter part of my name. I didn’t care what she called me. She didn’t move either, just waited.

I made her gasp in surprise when I turned her around to face me. “What are you doing?” She, like… breathed out the question. It was amazing.

“Testing your theory,” I said quietly.

She opened her mouth like she was going to ask me what theory, and I answered when I kissed her. She was unresponsive for about half a second. After that… well, she couldn’t get close enough.

-Black Screen-

I want to tell her. Everything little single thing about my life. My strange pairing of parents, my siblings, our goal, all of it. I can’t though, not yet at least. I’m no mamma’s boy, but I’m going to need mom’s council on this one. I’d ask dad, but I don’t think I have the patience for his light side, philosophical question and answer games.

“Are you writing? In a journal? Seriously?”

Crap. Busted. I quickly closed the old book and turned in my chair.

Mako was sitting up in bed. Correction, Mako was sitting up in my bed, the sheet pulled over her chest, her hair mused, that perfect grin on her face. She looked so sated, like a woman should after the romp we’d just had.

She started checking me out as she waited for my answer, which was pretty darn distracting. I watched her gaze track my bare chest, linger over my big arms. I couldn’t help but swell with a little bit of masculine pride when her cheeks flushed like she was remembering what had just gone down between us. Okay, maybe I wanted to jump up and beat on my chest, while shouting through the galaxy that everyone could now refer to me as Lancoro: Grand Champion of Mako. Yeah, that’s right, Mako.

“Have you always done that?” she said, interrupting my thoughts. “I’ve never seen you…”

“Well you made it a point not to come near this room for a while.” I couldn’t help but remind her about all that time she’d wasted playing hard to get. Not that I minded chasing after her. She just cutely rolled her eyes at me so I stopped dodging the question. “I uh, yeah, I write sometimes. When I’ve got a lot of stuff going in my head. Helps clear it out.”

“So, what you’re saying is you’re not just a big brute that stress releases only with his bolt pistol and a live hunt?”

She was teasing me. I loved that. I hated it too. Not her, just the way it made me feel. This little slicer was turning me into a big softie. “Actually, I think you might be my new way to stress release.” I felt the need to get some man points back here, since I was really feeling like cuddling. She rewarded me by turning beet red and ducking back under the sheet. After everything we’d just done (and little miss innocent was not so innocent by the way) I couldn’t help but laugh.

“Hey Coro?”

“Yeah, babe?”

“Come back to bed.”

She didn’t have to ask me twice.

-Black Screen-

Sometime later…

I was standing in the **** pit, plotting our new course. She was behind me, freshly showered and dressed in one my shirts that completely swallowed her, sipping a mug of coffee.

“I need to go to Ilum,” I said.

“Now? Blizz should be done, you know.”

“I know. I won’t be gone long. I’ve made arrangements for you and the guys to relax on Alderaan.”

Mako suddenly eyeballed me. “At House Girard? With that arrogant woman you slept with?”

“You didn’t like her?”

“Ew. I still can’t believe you hooked up with her.”

I kinda liked her jealous. Which was why I had banged that stuck up prude, Baroness Aitalla in the first place. “C’mon, you weren’t putting out. Guys gotta do-“

“Don’t. Don’t ruin everything I love about you.”

I turned around in my chair, grinning at her. “Love huh?”

She was blushing again, and hastily avoided my eyes. “You know what I mean.”

“You’re not staying with her. You’re hanging out at Outpost Eudor with Chanya. Torian wants to go bug hunting with her.”

She looked slightly mollified. “You’re such a jerk.”

“Can’t argue.”

“So… what’s on Ilum? Secret girlfriend?”

“No. All business.” Sort of. It wasn’t entirely business, it was family but I couldn’t tell her that. I did get out of my chair though, and walked up to her. She was so tiny, I loved the way she just fit around me. I really liked crowding her too, and so did she. I could tell by the way her eyes got all smokey. She set the mug down and ran her hands over my arms. “You’re my girlfriend,” I said. “I’m a lotta things, but I’m not a cheater.”

She didn’t try to control how big her smile got this time. “I am, huh?”

“Yup. Better update your slicer bio on the holonet. You’re taken now.”

She laughed and there I went wanting to do the whole chest bang thing again. She prevented it by kissing me. “Hurry back. You don’t want me spending too much time with Torian.”

“What? I will push that little punk out of the airlock with my pinky.”

“Stop it. You won’t. You like Torian.”

“I don’t like him that much. Do I have to put you two kids on different planets?”

She looked a little too smug that she’d gotten a rise out of me. Her fingers crept up my arms and wound around my neck as she tipped her head back, looking up at me with this expression in her eyes I couldn’t quite place. It was new, but I liked it.

“I’m a lot of things, but I’m not a cheater,” she said and kissed my chin.

“That mean I get to be your boyfriend?”

“I guess so. Until the next champion of the great hunt comes along.”

“Wow. Way to take the magic out of everything.”

She started laughing again. “Really? You’re gonna start with me about-“

I cut her off with a kiss. She didn’t seem to mind.

Edited by NatashaTerenzio

Chapter 3 - The Parental Advice of a Sith

Ilum, Eastern Ice Shelf

Warzone

One of the first sounds I remember hearing as a kid was my mother’s lightsabers.

I stood in the snow, hand resting on my blaster hilt, watching the wicked grace of her movements. She was a brutal fighter, a cruel one really. My mother punished her opponents with strikes that were meant to hurt more as the fight progressed. If she could not beat her enemy with skill alone, she would beat him with pain. Constant never ever ending seconds of it, until death was a welcome reprieve from the fight.

When she was done manhandling the group of soldiers I couldn’t identify, she ordered Lieutenant Pierce to secure the cargo. She walked over to me after her order was given and I fell in step beside her.

“What takes you away from your trials as a Bounty Hunter?” She asked without preamble.

“I need your advice about something unexpected.” I paused. Was there any way to say this without sounding like a emo Evocii? Whatever. “I’m in love.”

“I see.”

“I hadn’t planned on it. I was only going to use her as needed to get the job done. But she… snuck up on me.”

“It’s Mako then?”

“Yes.”

She sounded amused. Either that or she was making fun of me. Probably both. “And now, like a teenage boy, you’re bursting at the seams with it, longing to tell her everything, to ease the plots in your mind with her gentle wisdom.”

I made a face. “Not when you say it like that.”

My mother laughed, a low humorous sound. She pulled back her hood, and then pulled off her helmet. She had her own battle scars along her jaw around her cybernetic implant, and a wicked one around her neck. And, even though the dark side of the force made its power inside her visibly known I still thought she had this harsh kind of beauty.

I studied her for a moment. “Do you love, Dad?” If my dark side loving, Darth of a mother did, there was hope for me yet.

“Your father and I have a deep mutual respect for each other. I do care about him a great deal. But I do not love him.”

Crap. I pressed on. “You love someone though.”

She was silent a moment before she confessed quietly, “Yes.”

That shocked me actually. I had prepared for the negative and for her to tell me that love was a weakness we couldn’t afford. “Who?”

“All you need know about him is that he was my first lesson in the dangers of my own arrogance.” The hardness in her tone softened by a degree. “But, I carry a soft spot for him I cannot explain. He betrayed me, tried to kill me, and he lives. I love him still, and it angers me greatly.”

I could literally feel the strength of my mother’s emotions. I could feel the force, use it just a bit. Mind you, a very, very, very small bit and only in extreme situations but I could. And I have to say that there was nothing better (Mako’s a real close second though) than force choking some idiot that just wouldn’t shut up before you blasted his stomach open with your pistol.

“Lancoro…” My mother stopped our walk with her hand on my arm. She touched my face with her other. “My only advice to you is this; let her show you who she is before you trust her completely. And then never trust her completely.”

“What do you mean?”

“If she is a strong woman, she has conviction. One day that conviction may come at odds with your own. If forced to choose, it may not be you.”

I didn’t like that. I didn’t like the thought that Mako wouldn’t choose me, even though I was prepared to not choose her. It might not have been fair, but it was honest. My loyalty was to my family. Not to Mandalore, or the Imperials, or anyone else. Still, I really wanted Mako to fit into this picture somehow.

My mother must have sensed my rapidly spinning thoughts. She smiled and patted my cheek bringing me out of them. “It’s a caution, not a prophesy of doom. You can inspire loyalty in a way a Sith cannot. Vette, Quinn, Pierce, Jaesa, they love me but I will always be prepared for the moment they may find an opportunity to betray me.” Her eyes hardened. “I learned that lesson the Sith way. You need not.”

I canted my head at her, suddenly understanding her in a different way. “Peace is a lie,” I said quietly.

Her smile faintly returned. “No. It is merely fleeting. I have felt peace. With your father. Moments with you, and your siblings. Nothing is absolute, Lancoro.”

I felt better. A little smarter too. I nodded. “I understand.”

Her smile turned edgier. She backed up a step and tossed me one of her lightsabers. “Show me.”

I caught it easily, bringing out the blade. “Yes ma’am.”

Intermission - The Watchers

Their all white hooded suits made them blend into landscape. Robotic eyes allowed them to zoom in on their two targets. The implants in their ears allowed them to hear. The one on the right scanned through the file on his datapad. Everything they saw updated the information in the device in real time.

“He is second born.”

“His father cannot be the Chiss.”

“His biological maker is Lieutenant Pierce.”

“That makes sense. All right, got him. Who’s next?”

“She has a daughter. An Imperial Agent. Recently promoted.”

“Let’s find out what she knows.”

(More will come as scattered thoughts collide and I find time)

Chapter 4 – A layer revealed

Alderaan to Hoth

I left Ilum both feeling better and not. I was also a little sore from my spar with my mom. I made the quick stop to Alderaan to pick up the gang.

When Mako saw me, my little slicer jumped on me and kissed me, right in front of everybody. Nothing too risqué mind you, but still it made my good mood return in full force. How did you not feel like the man after a greeting like that?

“Torian’s teaching me how to speak Mandalorian,” she said getting back down on her feet.

“Oh yeah? Nice. We need to get back to Hoth.”

“Figured you’d say that. All right, let’s go.”

I glanced over at the rest of the gang, watching as Gault swaggered away from a group of soldiers, putting a pile of credits in his pocket. Torian bid a respectful good-bye to Chanya. She was an odd bird with her Order of Killik killers or whatever they called themselves, but she was a hunter with a code and I could respect that. In fact I’d made sure that Lord Serjay Thul, one of the contenders for the throne had left her alive during my brief visit to this planet.

I shook my head amusedly at my strange little crew as we got back on the Mantis.

During the ride, Mako chatted at me. I’ll admit I was only half listening but I liked the sound of her voice as a background to my thoughts so I didn’t mind it. I was paying attention enough that I could respond with the typical male fill in when needed.

Back on Hoth, Blizz had finished modifying a blaster so I could penetrate the shield of the three eyed droid I was chasing. It was a nice piece of tech; Blizz certainly lived up to the Jawa rep where those things were concerned.

Blaster in hand, Mako and I took off. Short story shorter; I found Ayro and put him down. Crazy frakkin droid he was. It wasn’t the hardest fight I’ve ever been in and it got me one step closer to the name on my black list – Reneget Vause.

After checking in with Blizz, I got the next location for another of Reneget’s Captain’s. Reneget had refused to fight me because I wasn’t worthy, and disappeared before I could make him. I was getting his attention by knocking off all his top people one by one.

Mako and I were headed towards Imperial Outpost Zerek. Every now and then I’d do some odd jobs for the Imps while I was running around tracking down my Bounty. I also had a… list of things to keep an eye out for while I was on my travels. It was Imperial Agent Fixer 308 that set off one of the items on that list.

I had earned myself quite the reputation so far on Hoth for being able to handle the jobs the Imps elite squads hadn’t. Fixer 308 was cute, level headed, and professional. She seemed to have more brains than half the other Intelligence lackey’s I’d come across so I didn’t mind her updating me on her current situation and what she needed.

“We’ve been hitting the White Maw operation so hard they’ve called a meeting,” Fixer 308 said. The White Maw Pirates were giving the Imperials and Republic a problem on Hoth. The Pirates were also a group that could be real valuable to the right kind of person.

“Every one of their gangs will be represented. We intend to get you into that meeting and capture or kill everyone present. The hard part is getting there,” Fixer continued.

Things the Imps thought were difficult usually weren’t, at least not for me. Though, to be a little fair, I’d had some serious training growing up. “I’m listening, Fixer.”

“The shuttles of the leaders trusted captains will have the meeting coordinates programmed into their navicomputers. Find a lieutenant with a shuttle, kill him, get his access card and steal his ship. After that, all you have to do is fly it to the meeting.”

“Haven’t stolen a ship since I got mine. This should be fun.”

“Your enthusiasm is heartening. We won’t get another opportunity like this again.”

“Then I ought to charge you extra.” I was only half serious.

“Pull this off and I’ll see to it you get double,” Fixer 308 said.

“Done. See you soon.”

My mind was going a mile a minute on this one for a few reasons. The big one was I hadn’t told Mako anything yet. It looked like I wasn’t going to be able to keep everything from her much longer.

We got on my speeder and she snuggled up close to my back as we speed away from the Outpost. When we were far enough into the wild I wasn’t worried about my transmission being picked up I pulled over.

“What are we stopping for?” Mako asked.

“I need to make a call.”

She looked at me curiously as I pulled out my holocom and dialed up my mother.

Her form appeared. Mako looked all kinds of surprised but said nothing.

“You’ve found something.” Always right to the point my mother.

“Yes ma’am. All the current White Maw Pirate leaders are about to have a big meeting. I’m off to snag an access card and a shuttle to their location.”

“Excellent work. Once you get the coordinates transmit them to me. The others will meet you there.”

“Got it.”

I switched off the holocom. Mako just stared at me.

“Okay... what’s going on? Who was that?”

Mom had said let Mako show me who she was first. I thought I knew, but I was about to get a real good glimpse right now. I hesitated, choosing my words carefully.

“We need to keep this just between us but… my mother is a Sith Lord.”

Mako’s eyes widened. “What? Really?”

“Yes.”

“How big of a Sith Lord?”

“Remember all that buzz a while back about the Sith Lord that killed her master in front of the Dark Council?”

“That was your mom?!”

I nodded.

“Wow. Whoa. That’s… okay give me a second.” Mako looked like she was furiously processing. “Wow. So many things about you just… make sense now.”

My mouth quirked at that. I hadn’t told her the half of it.

“What about your dad?” She asked.

“That’s… complicated.”

She just looked at me for a long moment, her gaze searching. “You’re not telling me the whole story.”

I said nothing, an answer in itself.

“So wait, since your mom’s a Sith Lord does that mean you’ve got this secret loyalty to the Empire?

“Not exactly. That’s… complicated too.”

I could see the relief pass through her eyes. Mako didn’t have any deep love for the Republic or the Empire. I had to bite back a laugh though when her eyes widened almost comically. “Wait, is she coming right now? Am I about to meet your mom?” She looked a little panicked. Out of everything I had, and had not said, Mako was nervous about meeting my mom.

“Not sure if she’ll join. She’s in the middle of something important on Ilum. She’s probably sending two of our closest allies though.”

“You are seriously connected aren’t you?”

“Kinda. We don’t really make our family tree public knowledge. Mom expected us to make something of ourselves on our own.” We weren’t any good to her, or dad, if we couldn’t.

“We? Do you have like, brothers and sisters?”

“I have an older brother and a younger sister. I’m the middle kid.”

“Will you tell me about them?”

“Eventually.” Maybe. I hoped so.

Mako mulled over that for another moment, then nodded. “Okay. We better go get that access card if you’ve got a whole posy coming.”

I fought back a grin. “Not too weird for you?”

Mako laughed. “Really? After everything you know, or actually we don’t know about me? Your story is kinda boring so far, Coro.”

I smiled faintly. “Solid point.”

I climbed back on the speeder and Mako retook her spot against my back. I grinned as we pulled out. Just maybe everything would work out after all.

Chapter 5 - Sith Stuff

Electricity attacked, a vicious seemingly endless wave of it from the stretched out fingers of Darth Shadishan Storm. Next to him, Darth Miji Minamoto watched with a bored expression on her face.

“I could kill him faster with my lightsaber,” she said.

“What fun is it, if they don’t stuffer?”

“He didn’t piss me off that much that I cared.”

Shadishan glanced at her. “Why don’t you like fun?”

Miji rolled her eyes at him. One of the Imperial troopers at her feet groaned and she flicked a glance down at him. She withdrew her lightsaber, called out the blade, and nonchalantly drove it into the trooper’s eye.

Her holocom rang and her expression brightened. Leaving the lightsaber embedded in the trooper’s skull, Miji used that hand to answer it. Darth Jinobie appeared and Shadishan stopped electrocuting the Imperial Sergeant. The man collapsed with a groan of pain, twitching uncontrollably.

“Did your hunter find them?” Darth Shadishan asked.

“We have the location. I’m sending you the coordinates,” Darth Jinobie said. “Tell Agent Rystaan we will need his services, Miji.”

“He’ll meet us there,” Darth Miji said.

“Will you join be joining us?” Darth Shadishan asked.

“No. There is some advanced mining equipment the Republic and Imperials are fighting over. If either of them gets their hands on it, it will speed up their ability to out produce the other. I think we have greater need for it.”

“Excellent idea. We’ll call you when we’re done on Hoth,” Darth Shadishan said.

“Good hunting,” Darth Jinobie ended the call.

Chapter 5 – A pawn is taken (The Sith’s Perspective)

Ilum - Eastern Ice Shelf

Western Jedi ruins

I stood on a hill, my cybernetic eye scanning the situation below us. Imperial forces had surrounded the ruins, but the Republic had responded swiftly to retrieve the equipment from their downed transport. We would have to attack both, simultaneously and swiftly.

Jaesa stood next to me and I could feel the anticipation coil within her. Her utter love for the dark side was as strong as her love for me. It was a curious thing, her loyalty. But Vette had given me some insight not so very long ago that made a great deal of sense.

“You will lead the first wave,” I said to her.

Her smile was lethal. “Yes master.”

General Pierce came up behind us. “Scouts in place my lord. We won’t be interrupted. No Imps or Republic troops anywhere near us.”

“Good,” I said. I pulled on my helmet. I shared Jaesa’s thrill of battle. The love of a good fight, the skill, the danger, the finality of it all.

“How’s Lan been?” Pierce asked, using his binoculars to scan the situation below us.

“Excellent. He found a lead on Hoth.”

“That a boy.”

Pierce had had no issue being solely a genetic maker. He had no issue catering to my desires on occasion either. He had worked out better than expected. At one time, I feared I might have to kill him. I had thought his loyalty to the Empire ran too deep. But, he understood my aims and after some discussion agreed with them. At first I wasn’t trusting. I still searched his feelings daily, tested him constantly. He had not yet betrayed me. Unlike others.

I felt my eldest’s son presence as he arrived and I smiled underneath my armor. Vanceto was pure blood Sith and adopted. Elliah and I had found him together when were both students of the same academy, before our marriage and our alliance. Vanceto was becoming everything Elliah and I had trained him for and more. He was mine, so much that at times I felt like he’d come from me.

Vette and Quinn trailed behind him. I nodded at Vette, who smiled warmly at me. Ignoring Quinn I stepped into Vanceto who let his emotion for me show. He hugged me tightly, and I let him.

“It is always such a rare pleasure to fight beside you, my lord.”

“Mother,” I corrected him.

A single lightsaber sat on his hip, his heavy black armor fitting to him with perfection. He smiled once more at my words, nodding. “Mother. I wish to thank you for Captain Quinn. He has been nothing but an asset to my continued training.”

“Good.” That was all I wanted to hear of Quinn at the moment, though his presence filled me with such a complexity of emotion I did not suppress it. It would be well used in the battle we were about to engage. “And Vette?” I had sent both to his charge, for very different reasons.

“She’s wonderful. Truly a delight,” he said easily.

I noticed that Vette was suddenly avoiding my gaze which amused me greatly. However, business first. “We will lead the charge against the Imperials. Once we have cleared the path, take your forces and attack the Republic. No one lives, we can afford no witness,” I instructed him.

“It will be done,” he glanced over at his shoulder. “Captain Quinn, your team will cover their escape route. Vette, my love… with me.”

Neither could see the amused quirk of my brow at his new pet name for Vette. Pushing my humor aside for the darker emotions I required for battle, I returned to Jaesa and Pierce.

“Jaesa, on your lead.”

Our forces were swiftly loading the equipment into our convoys. We would use it to mine for our own crystals in another area of the planet, away from the prying eyes of the Republic and the Empire.

I stood in one of the archways that had once been a temple, my helmet removed, my arms folded in front of me. I was surrounded by the clinging energy of battle; the fear of the cowards that had begged for their lives, the courage from the ones that had died honorably.

The sound of laughter brought me out of my meditation. My cybernetic eye scanned the distance father than my human one could see, zooming in on Vanceto and Vette, standing together laughing. I could sense something there, building between them. I did not mind a romance between Vanceto and Vette, regardless that she was a bit older. He was a mature boy and their ages were not that far apart. Out of everyone who was not “family” I trusted Vette the most. She’d been by my side from the beginning when I was just an Acolyte. We’d saved each other’s lives more times than we could count, and I’d earned her trust just as she’d mine. I’d gotten her sister freed, and avenged her mother myself.

She knew the Hutt that had worked her mother to death had died, but she had never asked me if I did it. I would answer her truthfully, but she had never brought it up. Perhaps she just knew.

I smiled privately as I continue to watch them. It made me remember a time I thought I might have the same. When I had foolishly disregarded both Sith and Jedi teachings in favor of a romantic kind of love.

-Warning, this section contains spoilers for SW Companion Storyline-

“It is the internal struggles, when fought and won on their own, that yield the strongest rewards…” ―Darth Traya

Chapter 6 - Remembering: The Weakness

I was standing on the deck of my ship. Malavai had just given a report on the fall of an incompetent Moff I could care less about. But, it was important to him so I had given him the curtsey of at least listening. Afterwards he’d said something I had not expected so soon.

“I’ve held back long enough. Been too rigid, too inflexible. I won’t suppress my feelings and desires any longer,” Malavai said.

A coy smile slide across my mouth. “Is that right? I’ll expect you to prove this Captain.”

Before I could move he grabbed me. His mouth was hot and demanding, literally breath stealing. In the next second I had been jacked back against the console, my hands held above me, his teeth – oooh. I have to admit I didn’t expect this kind of passion from my by the book Malavai.

I didn’t expect his stamina either.

-Black Screen-

Three months later…

I was standing in front of the terminal. A holo image of the blue prints for our new compound sat on the larger screen. Malavai had been standing at attention behind me, taking notes on things I wanted changed. I could sense however, every time his eyes moved to my back and how long they stayed there. Something was on his mind.

“What is it Captain?” I finally asked him without pulling my eyes from the screen. I rotated the blueprint to change the angle, inspecting the lower levels.

He hesitated before he answered. “I have something to communicate to you my lord but… I’m waiting for a moment of privacy.”

“Speak Malavai. I may not wish to hear it later.” Only he would recognize the subtle teasing in my tone.

“Very well. But you’ll have to look at me.”

I gave him the curtsey of tipping my chin over my shoulder, my gaze peering out at him from inside the shadows of my cowl.

“I love you,” he said. I knew he did. Still, I was pleasantly surprised at my internal reaction when I heard the words. He came towards me, intimately invading my space. He exposed my faint smile and darkened eyes when he pushed back my cowl. His fingertips lingered gently against the scar around my throat. “What’s more…” His voice lowered. “…you love me.”

His assertiveness never failed to affect me. More intensely this time, because of what he’d confessed. I took a moment to revel in my feelings; the rise of my passion, my emotions and how when I crawled inside of them I could feel peace. I had not expected that. But at the time, I welcomed it.

“You’re very sure of yourself. Malavai,” I also knew what it did to him to hear his name breathed out from between my lips.

His jaw tensed. He came closer still, pressing his forehead against mine. I don’t know why, but I loved it when he did that. His eyes shut, his fingers crawling around the back of my neck. “Say it,” he whispered.

I put my hands on his chest, and tipped my face up. Came so close that when I spoke he’d be able to feel my lips move against his own.

I gave him something I gave to very few; un-manipulative truth. “I love you.”

-Black Screen-

-More Black Screen-

-Yup, still Black Screen-

Chapter 7 - Remembering: The Lesson

The moment the doors slid shut, my senses sprang to alert. Malavai walked in front of me, and I knew. He began to speak and I suddenly felt cold inside.

“My lord, I regret that our paths must diverge,” his said in his Imperial officer voice. “Out of respect, I wanted to be here to witness your fate.”

Don’t do this. “How dare you,” I whispered. I hated that my voice wasn’t stronger. Seventy-two hours since he’d admitted that he loved me. Had that feeling of perfection lasted only that short amount of a time? My days filled with the death of my enemies, my nights spent in his arms? Was that why I didn’t sense his betrayal?

“This entire scenario is a rouse. You know who my true master is. And you know why you’re here.”

Not you. Please. My hands balled to fists at my sides. I didn’t notice until the ache in my knuckles started. “Were your feelings a rouse too, Malavai?” The pain was greater than my rage when I asked it because I feared he’d say they were.

“I didn’t want to have to choose between you. But he’s… he’s forced my hand.” He dropped his gaze, looking at the floor.

Weakling, I thought venomously. The doors behind him opened, and I drew my lightsabers. He was talking, telling me how he’d studied me, how he’d programmed the two battle droids just for me, but I wasn’t listening to him. My cybernetic eye scanned the one on the right, and identified the weak points in the design in the second it took me to spring.

The force of my landing knocked the battle droid back into the wall, briefly stunning it. I shot out my hand, jerking my gaze to its clone at my left. It is an indescribable sensation when the force moves through you. When I clenched my fist the droid shutdown. It would take it sixty seconds to reprogram its systems and come back online.

Behind me, Quinn had pulled his weapon; I heard the hiss of his pistol as it left its holster. The battle droid I’d stunned was back on its feet and had cocked its guns in preparation to fire. I channeled my rage and it quickened my movements, let it flare hotter and it nearly formed a protective barrier around me. I back-flipped, landed and sprang again, right towards Quinn, crossing my lightsabers over my back to block the rapid fire coming from the droid.

Quinn had never been the best of shots, especially not at moving targets. He squeezed the trigger and it grazed my side. I did not feel the physical pain in those moments though. My boot struck him in the side of the head, knocking him to the ground unconscious. I was moving the moment I landed, spinning around and releasing one of my lightsabers with the motion. The blade flew through the air and sliced off the droids right side weapon. I blocked the gunfire from its second gun, and leaped again, catching my lightsaber mid-air. When I landed I was on the battle droids head, my blades burning an X into its metal skull.

I snapped my gaze up, just to see the second droid come awake. My foot shot out, knocking into the weapon on the droids arm I was currently riding. The smack made the droids missile shoot out, a straight shot that exploded its clone.

I jumped off my dismantled droid and the sharp removal of my lightsabers ripped its head in two. The entire thing collapsed with a wine and showers of sparks.

I sheathed and holstered one of my blades. Ripped my hood back, and my helmet off dropping it to the ground. Whirling, I locked eyes on Quinn as he groaned, slowly coming too.

“Traitor,” my murderous whisper.

“Yes,” he whispered back, his brows knitted together. “I don’t expect your mercy, but… I deeply regret-”

I didn’t want to hear it. I couldn’t hear it. I shot my arm out, the force shooting through my fingertips and crashing into Quinn, sending him flying backwards. He hit the far wall with a loud and painful grunt. As he dropped, I tracked him, halted his descent an inch from the ground simply so I could lift him and slam him into the metal myself.

The skin at his temple broke and his blood began to stain the ground. He didn’t move and my rage suddenly stopped. Had I killed him? Panic flared. I should kill him. My anger surged again and screamed. I loved you. I… love you.

Closing my eyes I searched for control. These things do not come so easily when love is involved. I holstered my lightsaber before my passion overwhelmed me. When I heard him start to come too again, I couldn’t tell how much time had passed.

“My Lord-”

“Do not speak,” I hissed. “There are no words you can say. Quinn.” He was no longer Malavai. He couldn’t be. My eyes opened, glowing with my controlled rage. “You will live because I am stronger for your betrayal, because I now know better than to think that love might possibly be the strongest loyalty.”

Every word I spoke looked as if it pained him. Good. I reveled in his emotional agony, imagined that every drop of blood that ran down his face were pieces of his heart destroyed.

The way he’d just destroyed mine.

“You will speak of your crime to no one. You will serve me now, with the same conviction you served my enemy. That is what you owe for your failure.” I came closer, towering over him. His head remained bowed. It took a mere thought to force his chin up, to make him look into the hatred in my eyes.

“Every time you look at me, you will see that failure and everything you’ve lost because of it. And you will spend the rest of your days working towards the moment that I might allow you to see me as something else. Am I clear?”

His brows knitted together. His eyes were moist as if he might cry. I would choke him if he did. Choke him until he passed out because I couldn’t stand another moment of his weakness.

Or his reminder of mine.

“Yes… my lord.”

I released him from my grasp. Turned on my heel I marched off, calling out over my shoulder… “Remove your things from my chambers. You are no longer welcome there.”

Chapter 8 – Remembering: A Sith kind of forgiveness

I was sitting at the foot of the bed, getting dressed. I was usually up before the sweat had dried, no point in lingering. Quinn was still in the bed behind me, one of his elbows on his knees, his head in his hand. I used him in this way frequently. When I wanted to punish him. When I wanted to remember what his touch felt like and forget the rest. When I was riled up after a good fight and only he would do.

Something was different this time, I could feel it. Still, I ignored his silent pain as I usually did and simply put my robe on.

“I can’t keep doing this…” he finally said.

I wasn’t surprised to hear him say it. Still, I didn’t make it easy on him. “What can’t you do, Quinn?”

“Being so close to you but…” he frowned. “Not.”

“And whose fault is that?” I did not say it coldly but matter of fact.

He got up swiftly. Came up to me and touched my face. His gaze was as raw and intense as I’d ever seen it. “Forgive me. Let me love you.”

I wish I’d been unaffected. I had been cruel to him since that incident, over a year ago now. Deservedly so but, he’d taken it. All of it. Shut his mouth and done his job, and let me abuse him minute by minute, day by day. He’d taken my pain and his own. That, deserved a small something.

He must have sensed my internal struggle because he came closer pressing his forehead to mine. He hadn’t done that since… I closed my eyes.

“Laresa…” That’s all he said, just my name. I tipped my face up and kissed him. There was desperation in his touch and I didn’t allow him to linger, just a final taste before I pulled out of his embrace and took a step back to put space between us.

“You will be transferred to my son, Lord Vanceto’s, ship. You will serve him as you serve me now.”

His face dropped. “That’s it then?”

At first I said nothing. But, after a moment, “I can’t forgive you Malavai…” I all but whispered. “I just… I can’t.”

“Laresa-”

“You’re dismissed Captain.” I hated that he was my weakness. I hated my fear that if he said something else, if he looked at me with such intensity again I’d break down and forgive him. Or worse, tell him that I still loved him. I gave him my back.

My eyes clenched shut again when I felt him come up behind me. His fingers took hold of my shoulders and he pressed his mouth against the back of my head. I felt his grip tighten as his own internal battle raged and I held perfectly still, years of training in control being put to the test in those single moments.

He finally drew back, resigned to his fate. His put his uniform back on in silence, his shoulders squared. “My lord, I will prepare for departure immediately. It has been an honor serving you, and I truly look forward to being an asset to your son.”

I nodded tightly and he walked out.

I just stood there, standing in the pain of a good-bye, letting it flow through me, letting it feed me, make me stronger. When I was finished I left my quarters and moved through the familiar corridors to my ship.

I found Vette in the kitchen, spiking her coffee with Hutt tequila.

“How’s it going my lord?” Vette glanced up at me with a smile.

“I have a new assignment for you.”

“All righty. What’s up?” She sat down at the small table.

“I’m sending Quinn to Vanceto’s charge.”

“I was wondering when you were going to stop doing that to yourself.”

I hadn’t expected her to say that. I frowned and sat down next to her. “Am I so obvious?”

“No. Jaesa can feel your force stuff but she just thinks you’re that jacked up all the time. She’s in awe of your control. It’s made you her hero, or God, in a freaky Jaesa kind of way. Pierce isn’t deep enough to notice.”

“But you did.”

“I saw caught Quinn in here late one night, drowning his sorrows in a bottle of Corellian scotch. He didn’t say anything but you can tell when some poor guys got a broken heart.”

I merely nodded.

“What happened?” Vette asked gently.

I shook my head. “It doesn’t matter. It’s over, and I don’t trust him completely. I’d feel better if you went along and watched Vanceto’s back for the time being.”

Vette grinned lightly. “Budding youth Sith lord ready to take over the galaxy? That doesn’t sound at all familiar.”

“You are partly responsible for my success. I hope you know that.”

“I do. Trust me, throwing your name around gets me into all kinds of places now. It has its perks.” She finished her mug and stood up, touching my shoulder. “I’ll watch his back.”

“Thank you Vette.”

“No problem.”

Chapter 9 – Unexpected Assertiveness

Illum – Eastern Ice Shelf

Western Jedi Ruins

It was the source of that memory that pulled me back into the present.

“He fancies her.”

Quinn came to stand beside me, his arms in their typical officer’s position behind his back. He had on white and grey combat gear. It made him look dashing, which made me want him, and angered me because of it. To say I’d missed him was an understatement, but that changed nothing.

“He has reported how good of an asset you’ve been to him.”

“You trained him well,” and then, softer. “He reminds me very much of you.”

“Don’t,” I warned him, a dangerously quiet tone.

“Sorry,” Quinn said quietly, then added in his determined voice, “I won’t apologize for missing you though.”

My heart ached at his words. It fed my anger. I controlled both emotions even while I felt them. “Keep it to yourself. I could care less.”

“I don’t believe that.”

I glanced in his direction, my expression cold. “Be careful Quinn. You can only escape death by my hand so many times.”

I did not expect him to come closer, or the intense heat in his gaze, or the rough tone to his voice. “I love you. Your anger, your strength, your brilliance, your passion. I’ll die loving you.”

My emotions flared hotter. No one tore me apart the way he did. Made me stronger for it. It was my own secret that I wished I had learned this strength another way, one that had kept him with me. My tone for Quinn was heartless though, matter of fact. “And I’ll die remembering you both a traitor and a mistake. Good for frakking though. Not much else.”

He didn’t look phased. Perhaps his pain had made him stronger too. “Is that why I’m still around?”

“Actually Captain, you’re not around me. Not anymore.” I stepped away from him, but Quinn had the nerve, the sheer utter gall to grab me. It was my shock at his sudden bravery, or stupidity that allowed him to keep his grip on my arms, pull me into him and press his mouth against mine.

Frak. I’d missed him. And I instantly remembered how a successful mission riled him up nearly as much as it did me. Oh, and he tasted so familiar, the feel of his lips so passionate and loving and-

With a low growl I sent him flying backwards into one of the cold archways. He landed with a painful grunt and fell to his knees. I came up to him, used the force to bring him to his feet, then put my hand around his throat. I wanted to feel his skin as I hurt him, as I used the force to tighten my grip so I could choke him without crushing his windpipe.

“Touch me again without my permission and I’ll finish what I should have years ago. Do you understand?”

I didn’t let him respond; instead I gave some of my rage an outlet by keeping the pressure on until he passed out. I stepped back, letting him fall to the ground. Looking down at him, I sighed heavily. I could still taste him and for a moment, I allowed that feeling to warm me instead of anger me.

“I love you too. Idiot,” I whispered sadly, allowing the words to escape and die on the chilly air.

“My lord.” Pierce came up to me.

I turned to greet him, my emotions once more contained. “Yes, General?”

“Cargo is loaded, ready to move out. Also, there’s a call for you, from Darth Storm.”

“Excellent news.” I walked forward.

Pierce glanced behind me, seeing the passed out Quinn on the ground. He had never really liked Quinn so he looked amused. “What happened to him?”

I smirked. “He touched something he shouldn’t.”

*Warning - mild spoilers for a Hoth Empire Side Quest*

Chapter 10 – The Art of Deal Making (The Bounty Hunter)

Mako sat in the open door of the shuttle. I stood with my shoulder propped against the cold metal. We weren’t waiting long before two of my mother’s closest friends and allies, Darth Shadishan, and Darth Miji arrived.

My ability to sense to the force made me so aware of their power it was… weird. I could feel their anger and their control over it and it was slowly but surely jacking me up. Mako just might see a whole new side of me today.

“Hunter,” Darth Shadishan said. Darth Miji winked at me. “You must be the slicer,” Darth Shadishan looked at Mako.

I couldn’t tell what was going through her mind as she got to her feet and looked at the two Sith Lords. “Hey.”

“The whole crew is inside,” I motioned at the compound in the distance. “Security is pretty thick.”

“Cover us.” Darth Miji immediately withdrew both her lightsabers and strode toward the open door. I could see Darth Shadishan’s cold smile as he turned and followed, nonchalantly withdrawing his blade.

Mako moved to my side. “This is going to give me nightmares isn’t it?”

“It might.” I fitted my hands around my blasters, pulling them loose.

“Guess you’re gonna have to keep me up late then,” Mako barely hid a smile as she walked alongside me.

I had my helmet on, she couldn’t see my grin.

Want to feel useless? Go on a mission with two older, insanely powerful Sith Lords with planet conquering battles under their belt. I gotta give my little slicer credit, she didn’t flinch once, which was pretty remarkable considering the carnage.

Darth Miji severed limbs, and cut off heads like it was nothing, Darth Shadishan did the same beside her, but went so far as to torture his opponents a little before they died. He’d use the force to hold them in place while he killed their comrade, or electrocute them until they were useless before he rammed his lightsaber through their hearts.

I shot a few guards when I got the opportunity, like when Darth Miji lifted one in the air and forced choked him. But I didn’t get to participate too much in the carnage, which was a shame because I was pretty riled up from all their energy.

The last White Paw guard fell, and we were in front of the sealed door. Breaking the control box would get it open easy enough.

“This is a family matter. Wait here,” Darth Shadishan looked at Mako.

Mako blinked. “What? I’m-“

“Adopted crew members don’t count.” Darth Miji didn’t bother looking at Mako as she walked up to the control panel.

“If your loyalty is real, you’ll be privy soon enough,” Darth Shadishan said. “And If I were you, I’d be careful what I wished for.”

Wasn’t that an understatement.

Darth Miji stabbed the box and the door slid open. They walked through and I paused by Mako. “Be right back. You’re not gonna wanna see this anyway.”

Mako looked up at me. I could tell she didn’t like it, but she was taking it. “Be careful.”

“We’ve heard enough alarms. The time has come to move our base of operations to Loramarr,” Ellis Tarn said

“I agree,” Darth Shadishan said.

He and Darth Miji walked in, one of them made the door slam shut behind us. I stayed just a little behind and to the left of them, watching for itchy trigger fingers.

Boss Undro was not going to make it out of this meeting alive, I could just tell as he demanded nastily, “Who the frak are you?”

“Gentlemen, we’ve got a business arrangement for you,” Darth Storm had his hands behind his back. Darth Miji hadn’t put away her lightsabers. I could tell by the look in her eye she wanted one of them to make the wrong move.

“Talk,” Rhee Naez said.

“Just a moment,” Darth Shadishan pulled out his holocom. He placed a call to my mother and General Pierced answered.

“Lord Storm. She’s still on the battlefield. Soaking up the win, most likely,” General Pierce said.

“Get her. I’ve got her new business associates on the line.”

“Right away.”

We waited, some patiently others not, until my mother’s image appeared. Her helmet was off but her cowl was still raised, casting most of her face in shadows. “I am Darth Laresa Jinobie. And I have need of you.”

“I’ve heard of you. You use to be the Emperors Wraith, or something,” Boss Undro said.

I looked over at Undro. That wasn’t a public knowledge title among those that were not high ranking Sith. Undro had connections.

“Yes,” my mother replied simply.

“But you aint anymore. You lost the job. Rumor is some Jedi beat you,” Undro gave her a nasty smile I was going to rip off his ugly face. That Jedi was my mother’s sister.

“You have an inside source. Who?” Darth Miji suddenly demanded.

Undro glared at her, as ready for a fight as she was. “That’s my business. Is it true? Yes or no?”

My mother still didn’t appear phased. “Yes.”

“Then you’re weak,” Undro laughed. "Aint no reason for us to fear you.”

“Um, have you ever beaten a Jedi Master?” Ellis Tarn looked over at Undro.

“You mistake the matter, Boss Undro,” my mother explained. “I needed a way out of that position, the Jedi presented one.”

Undro made a disgusted sound, and threw his hands out. “I anit buying it. No Sith gives up that kinda power.”

“I don’t need to be the Emperors lackey to claim power. Nor do my associates. You are better off working with us,

then against both the Empire and the Republic.”

“She’s got a point, we ought to hear her out,” Rhee Naez said.

“I have large quantities of sensitive materials I need ferried across Imperial and Republic space. I need professionals. And I need manpower. Grunts. Lots of them.”

“That sounds profitable.” Ellis was on board. That didn’t surprise me, he was an opportunist and had loyalty to none.

“There are also a few persons of interest I need watched, others I need picked up and brought to me,” my mother continued.

“This all sounds a lot better than fighting over a ship graveyard in the middle of the arctic,” Rhee Naez said.

“And I want the location of Loramarr.” Mom dropped the bombshell and all the White Maw Bosses got quiet.

“No way,” Undro growled. He’d been overrun by his companions’ greed, but with this demand I could tell the others we’re wavering a little too. Did they know what was so special about that place, too?

“Why not? What do we really need it for?” Rhee Naez said.

Okay, that one didn’t. But what about the others? I scanned their faces.

“I don’t wish to take it from you. I want the Bounty Hunter and his associate to go there,” my mother explained. I always did marvel a little at her patience. I would have shot this idiot in the knee by now.

“What for?” Vadis Krag finally spoke up.

“Something above your intelligence level,” Darth Miji sound as impatient as I felt. Any second now, she was going to pounce. Krag and Undro glared at her.

“Don’t look so offended, she was just being honest,” Darth Shadishan said so simply.

“Forget it,” Undro growled. “The Empire, and the Sith can kiss my-“

“Darth Minamoto,” my mother interrupted. “Convince them your way.”

Darth Miji’s eyes suddenly turned red. “It is a perfect time for violence.”

I walked forward touching her shoulder and pointed at Undro. “I want him.”

“Done,” Miji sprung at Krag. He was dead in seconds. Ellis Tarn and Rhee both threw up their hands looking at Darth Shadishan pleadingly.

“We’re on your side,” Ellis said quickly.

Undro pulled his blaster, but I was a lot faster. I shot it right out of his hand and was in his face a second later. I used the jet pack on my back to give my strike a little more oomph so when I slammed my armor covered fist into his jaw blood exploded out of his mouth and he went flying back into the computer console behind him.

Careful not to damage the equipment I advanced on him, took him by throat and beat his stupid, ugly face in. When I got tired of looking at him, I threw him to the ground, kicked him a few times, and then stuck my foot on the back of his head. I withdrew my blaster and pointed it down at him.

“Wanna beg for your life?” I asked him.

He muttered something, some expletive I could barely make out. I smirked. “Yah know what I’m proud. I hate beggars.” I pulled the trigger, blowing his brains out all over the floor. Darth Miji looked proud.

“Go get your slicer. We need the information on that computer,” Darth Shadishan said.

I nodded and twirled my blaster before I holstered it. I have to admit, I was in a pretty good mood. Whoever said Sith were no fun.

Chapter 12 – Serious

I pushed open one of the big metal doors, sticking my head around it. Mako was pacing the corridor. “You’re not too mad at me are yah?”

She stopped and gave me a look. “You need something sliced don’t you?”

“Yup.”

“On it.” Determination flashing through her eyes, Mako walked into the room. She stepped over Krag’s severed head, and walked up to the computer terminal. She didn’t like me crowding her when she was working so I backed off to let her do her thing. I stood off to the side, paying more attention to Darth Shadishan as he spoke to my mom on his holocom.

Tarn and Naez were standing behind him with Darth Miji sandwiching them in. They looked more than a little nervous and I tried hard not to laugh at them.

“Ellis Tarn and Rhee Naez are alive. Tarn is the better of the two, but he’d squeal the minute he got captured. There’s not a location we can trust him with,” Darth Shadishan said.

“And the other?”

“To be honest I don’t trust him enough either. I think we’re better off using their men in the factory, taking their ships, and filling them with our own crew.”

“That will slow us down significantly.”

“What’s the rush?”

“We’re being watched. Our cloak of secrecy can only be maintained for so long,” my mother said.

“Understood. I think it’s a necessary risk however.”

“Leave Ellis alive. Kill the other one. I have a plan, I’ll share it later.”

Before Rhee could say a word in his defense Darth Miji shoved her lightsaber through him. He dropped to the ground and Tarn looked so scared I thought he was going to vomit.

“Done. The Hunter’s slicer is getting the location out of their computer.”

“Tell her I want access to everything.”

“I’ll transfer you.” Darth Shadishan hit a button and my mother’s holo image popped up on the display next to Mako.

She jumped a little, surprised by the sudden figure. Then her eyes got big. “Oh wow… you’re… you’re Coro’s mom.”

“Mako I need everything on that computer. Can you do it?”

“Their back walls, not even as tricky to get into as the SIS. Won’t be a problem,” Mako’s fingers were moving with fluid ease over the terminal keys. The lines of code flashed by on the screen so quickly they looked like a wacked out picture book to me. I still marveled that she could translate all that crap.

“Excellent. Lancoro is lucky to have you.”

I watched a small smile appear on Mako’s face. “That’s what I keep telling him.”

“We will meet you and I if things between the two of you get serious.”

“Well, I mean we're.... serious.”

I perked up considerably at that. Mako thought we were serious?

My mother said nothing and Mako started talking fast and a little over herself, the way she does when she gets really, really nervous. “I mean… I know we just uh… but I was with him since the Hunt and I really…” she took a breath, focused hard on that terminal keyboard and said in a softer tone. “…I really like him.”

There I went wanting to pound my chest again. I settled for kicking Krag’s head across the floor. Only Darth Miji noticed and she laughed at me.

My mother said nothing for a long moment. “Well then, I hope that’s always enough.”

I frowned. I really wanted to know who had hurt her. I couldn’t kill him, because if she wanted him dead he would be, but I could pound on him till his brain rattled in his skull a little.

“Okay I’m in,” Mako said.

“Lancoro.”

I walked over to the computer terminal. Mako avoided my gaze. “Yes ma’am.”

“Go to Loramarr, call me when you find it.”

“Leaving now.”

Chapter 13 - Interruption

I cut Mako a break and didn’t say a word about her interlude with my mom. Instead we took one of the shuttles back, hopped on my speeder and set course for Loramarr.

Loramarr the scientist/engineer was a genius droid maker who had disappeared. All those types had their secret facilities and it was rumored that Loramarr’s was where the White Paw had shacked up, hence it’s name. If Loramarr had been here, however long ago, there was a good chance he’d left something behind.

I stopped the speeder well before we got there. Mom had said we were being watched. I didn’t know the details of that, but I wanted to be more cautious then driving up to the front door. I also wanted a better view of what we were walking into first.

Mako followed silently behind me as I climbed a snow hill to get the layout. As I suspected, about a dozen different White Paw camps littered the area. I couldn’t see any signs of a compound from this distance. I was running through the different scenarios in my mind that would get us inside the fastest and the quietest when I realized we were in trouble. I could feel-

“Someone’s coming,” I said, jumping up and pulling lose my blasters.

Mako was immediately on alert but she couldn’t sense what I had. “Wh-“

The question had barely left her mouth before a Republic trooper came out of nowhere and slammed into me.

“Coro!” Mako aimed her blaster at him, and I wanted to shout at her but I was too busy under Havoc Squad Lieutenant Aric Jorgan. He still had his helmet on, but I knew that’s who he was. Who else would be out here with my Aunt.

And it was my aunt, Havoc Squad Commander Mekethia Jinobie that charged at Mako. Mako pulled the trigger, but Mekethia had a few advantages over us. One, was that she was a pure blood Sith, with force powers. She didn’t carry a lightsaber but she used the force as well as a Jedi. Mekethia merely lifted her hand, jerking her wrist left and right, batting away Mako’s blaster fire and coming closer with every step. Mako looked confused as all hell and in the next second, Mekethia slammed the butt of her rifle into Mako’s temple and my slicer dropped.

Pure rage exploded inside of me. I don’t think I’ve ever been this furious in my entire life. Jorgan and I were trading metal punches, and he was winning. I wasn’t strong enough to take him, and I knew that, but I was going to hurt him.

He rammed his fist into my helmet again, rattling my brain. I got to the button on my belt and my jet pack slid me backwards on the snow, out from underneath him. I stopped it at the perfect moment to be able to slam my booted foot into his jaw. I hit him so hard his helmet came off. I quickly rolled to the side, coming up with my blaster in hand but there was no way I was going to take both of them. Mekethia used her force power to yank the blaster out of my hand, and Jorgan slammed his knee into my face. The crack made my nose bleed and I dropped hard. I was going to get up, but they jammed a modified vibrostaff into my side and suddenly I was being electrocuted.

You have no idea how well metal can conduct electricity until it’s covering your body. It sucked.

“I fought beside Master Jarro, you slime,” Jorgan growled down at me.

Master Jarro had been one of my targets on the Great Hunt. It was nothing personal and I hated when people made it that way. I would have said something ******** back to him, but I was too busy being in pain.

Mekethia looked down at me. “Restrain them, Jorgan. I have questions for my nephew.”

“Yes, sir.”

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 14 – The Republic Side of the Family (The Bounty Hunter)

Hoth

I was on my knees, my hands secure behind my back. Mako was lying on the ground next to me. The cut on her head was a nasty one, and I couldn’t seem to stop staring at her blood marking the snow. My fury grew as the seconds ticked by.

Patience, Hunter. I reminded myself.

“She’ll live,” Mekethia said. She squatted down in front of me and I slowly pulled my eyes to her.

She resembled my brother, Vanceto in that pure blood Sith way, but that was the only similarity. I’d have gladly died for Vanceto. I can’t say I’d interfere if someone wanted to kill Mekethia. I couldn’t do it myself, merely because she was my mother’s sister, but –

“Squads’ on the way, sir.” Jorgan stood behind her.

“Where’s Loramarr, Lancoro?” Mekethia asked. “It has to be close.”

“What’s a Loramarr?” I asked.

“Don’t get cute. Your list of crimes against the Republic goes on for a mile,” Jorgan said.

“Only a mile? I’m slacking.” That remark earned me Jorgan's fist in my face. He wasn’t family. He was open game. And he wouldn’t always be stronger than I was. Blood filled my mouth and I thought about spitting it in his face. I restrained myself, and spit at his feet instead.

“I’ll make you a deal Lancoro,” Mekethia said.

“Gonna untie me and let me go another round with Mr. Thundercat over here?”

“What… Mr. what?” Jorgan’s face had the look of someone who knows they should be offended but aren’t sure why.

I smirked. “Human joke, Bantha breath.”

Mekethia interrupted us, and I’m sure she prevented another fist in my face. “We’ll let Mako go if you tell me where it is. You care about her, I know you do, I can feel it.”

I glanced over at Mako. She still hadn’t moved. Worry begin to leak into my anger, which made it blaze hotter. I looked back at my Aunt and let her see it. I hope she did feel it, because I was positive my mother wasn’t going to take her crap forever. That meant one day she’d be open game too. “You’re a traitor to your own family. You have no honor. I don’t make deals with scum like you.”

Jorgan looked pissed. He advanced on me, grabbing me by the collar of my armor and pulled me right into his fist. “How dare you, you-”

“Jorgan stop,” Mekethia said.

Jorgan did, but only after he smacked me again. My shoulder hit the snow and I gave my head a little shake to clear my vision. I picked myself back up. Mekethia was studying me.

“Your mother doesn’t command the type of loyalty you think she does,” she finally said.

“If this is going to be a five minute speech where you try to convince my mother isn’t awesome, you can save it. It’s only going to piss me off,” I looked back down at Mako. She needed a med droid, which meant we needed to get out of here.

“She keeps a traitor in her ranks, do you know that? He’s on your brother’s ship now,” Mekethia continued.

That actually made me pay attention to what she was saying as I remembered my conversation with my mother:

He betrayed me, tried to kill me, and he lives.

It was Quinn. Quinn had just gotten assigned to my brothers ship. Quinn had done that to my mother? That scrawny little-

“When her Master put Malavai Quinn in her employ, we didn’t trust him as much as she did. Every time he communicated with her master, we knew about it.”

The implication of what she was telling me slowly sunk in. “You knew he was going to try and kill her,” I all but growled.

“Yes.”

“And you did nothing,” I couldn’t keep the venom from my voice. “She’s your sister.”

Mekethia looked at me with an emotionless face. “Had he succeeded he would have done us a favor.”

“You know for a butt kissin, Republic, lightside lover, you sure are a ***** aren’t yah?”

I jerked my gaze to the right and there was Aunt Reide. She sported a white Mohawk, cybernetic right eye like my mothers, and a **** eating grin on her face, her blaster pointed right at Mekethia's head.

Aunt Reide was a smuggler that got away with doing jobs for both the Republic and the Empire on occasion but she was mostly renegade and one of the best in the galaxy. If you needed something moved or found, you called Aunt Reide. It had been because of her we’d narrowed down Loramarr the droid makers last known location to somewhere on Hoth.

I grinned darkly as I watched the surprised expression come over Mekethia and Jorgan’s faces. I wouldn’t pull a blaster on Aunt Reide. She was naturally good with weapons, and she used the force like Mekethia did. And Aunt Reide didn’t agree with my mother in regards to keeping family alive. She harbored no hope they could be persuaded to see reason. Basically if not for my mother, Mekethia would have been dead five minutes ago, I was sure of it.

Jorgan reached for his weapon but even if he had of been quick enough, he wasn’t getting a shot off. Akaavi Spar, one of my aunt’s crew members and a fellow Mandalorian, crashed into him. Akaavi versus Jorgan was one hell of a fight, let me tell you. The Hutts would have made good money off of putting these two in a ring.

“My squad is on its way. You’re not going to accomplish anything here,” Mekethia looked furious. “Other than piss me off.”

“Well, they might be a while. Right now your squad has got its hands full with my Wookie, and my nephews Mandalorian,” Aunt Reide's voice dripped with sarcasm. “So you and me can catch up.”

Emerging from their stealth positions, Imperial Agent Rystaan Minamoto and my Operative sister, Veltana came up behind me.

“I leave you alone for five minutes,” Veltana was technically my step sister, but it didn’t matter much. I’d grown up annoying the hell out of her like a good big brother. Lots of “why are you so blue” jokes were involved because she was a Chiss, like our father.

“What took you so long,” I said. She cut my binds loose and tossed me my blasters. Rystaan kneeled over Mako, tending her to forehead.

“I’ll take her back to your ship and ensure the Republic Troopers don’t follow. You two proceed with your mission,” Rystaan said.

I took the moment to run the back of my hand over Mako’s cheek. My sister noticed and smirked. I ignored her and shoved on my helmet. Aunt Reide could handle Mekethia. “Let’s go.”

Chapter 15 – A Conversation Between Sisters (The Smuggler)

Hoth

I saw Mekethia’s eyes move when Lancoro took off. She was so easy to read. I brought her attention back to me quick when I turned my stance and fired my blaster into Aric’s back. It didn’t breech his armor but it stunned him and gave Akaavi an all too easy advantage. She slammed her techstaff into Aric’s stomach, his head, and then knocked his leg out from underneath him. She added insult and more pain when she brought her fist into his chest while he was still slightly mid-air, drilling him into the ground.

Mekethia wasn’t easy to anger – except when it came to Laresa and me. My sources told me she and Aric had a thing going which made attacking something she loved all too easy to pass up.

Mekethia shot her hand and the force wave she sent at me knocked me right onto my back. Pain shot through me, pulling the laughter from my mouth. “Nice to see you too, sis.” Provoking her wasn’t always a good thing.

I spun to my feet, and fired about six rounds in her direction as I came up. She dodged them, moving sideways and somersaulted for her gun. I wiped a grenade from my belt, yanked the pin out with my pinky, and tossed it. It hit the ground next to her weapon a second before she arrived. The explosion knocked her violently backwards. She was a quick bugger, so it didn’t hurt her that much; she got her hands up and used the force to send the majority of the blast away from her face.

I leaped and landed right on her, my knee in her chest my blaster pointed right in her face. “Move and I’ll let Akaavi kill Jorgan. You know she’s dying too.” She went still and I could feel the force of Mekethia’s anger and wondered for the thousandth time why she didn’t just give into the darkside . She’d have had a heck of a lot more fun. “You know why I think Laresa won’t let me kill you?” My sister said nothing, but I didn’t expect her too. It was a rhetorical question anyway. “Because you look like Vanceto. I think that’s the only reason. And I think, after telling her what you did to her boy, she’s gonna get real tired of you.”

“Oh, just do it. You backseat lackey,” Mekethia hissed, and lifted her head, pressing her forehead right into my blaster. She shot her hand up, curling her fingers around the barrel. “Make your own decisions for once. Pull the trigger. Do it.”

“Mekethia!” Jorgan growled out. “Don’t!” He was on his knees, his helmet off, his face bruised and a little bit bloody. Akaavi had her arm around his neck, her staff in his back, keeping him place.

I glanced over at Jorgan’s direction. A cold smile slide over my face. I looked back down at my sister, leaned a little closer and whispered, “He’s not family. That means I get to kill him first. And no, you don’t get to watch. Just wonder how I did it. Where I did it. If it hurt him or not. Did he turn coward in the end?” I could feel her anger surge through her and I knew she was close to her snapping point. I smirked. My sister was kidding herself, pretending to be all light side Zen like Xerrin. “Don’t worry, you’ve got some time. Enjoy him.” Before she exploded and gave me more of a fight then I felt like dealing with just then, I slammed the butt of my blaster into her temple and put her out. I glanced over at Akaavi and nodded. She did the same to Jorgan.

I holstered my gun, climbing off my sister. Akaavi came up to me. “What are we to do with them?”

“Take them to the coordinators programmed into my speeder. Tell Bodwaar to lead rest of Havoc Squad there and then get out,” I said.

Akaavi nodded and began securing Mekethia and Jorgan’s hands and legs. “He is a good warrior. I should kill him.”

“I agree with you. Soon, just not now. But hey,” I gave her a playful punch in the shoulder. “This means you get to beat him down again.”

Akaavi gave me a very tolerant expression but followed orders. My holocom beeped and I answered it. I wasn’t surprised to see my sister.

“Is he all right?” She didn’t waste any time, and I adored that about her.

“Took a few licks. Good for him though. They’re on their way. Rystaan cleared the path.”

“And Mekethia?”

“She’s still alive if that’s what you’re asking.” I watched Akaavi drive away with both of them. “I’m a killer, not a rabid murderer.”

“You left her alive because you love her,” Laresa said.

My lips quirked. “If you say so, sis. Your boys little girlfriend got hurt. He stayed focused.”

I could hear the pride in my sister’s voice. “Of course he did.”

“I’m on my way to meet them,” I said, walking over to my speeder.

“Thank you Reide.”

“Stop it. It’s ridiculous to thank me. We’re family.” I straddled the bike. Paused. There was no sarcasm in my voice for once, when I told her; “They knew about Quinn. Monitored his communications.”

I could feel, even from the distance, the slow boil of my sister’s anger at that news. “My second biggest failure, laid bare for her to mock.”

“The first wasn’t your fault,” I said, and I meant it.

She didn’t believe me and I knew it. It was the reason for everything we were doing and a lot more than she owed in my opinion. Mekethia and Xerrin owed their lives and their success to my sister so many times over. And I always made sure they knew it every chance I got.

“Let me know when you have it,” Laresa finally said.

“I will. See on Dubrillion.”

“Good Hunting.”

Chapter 16 - Loramarr (The Bounty Hunter)

Hoth

Loramarr Secret Facility

Working with any of my siblings, things just clicked. I had a great rhythm with Mako, but there was something very natural about being in combat with my sister. I felt the same with Vanceto.

The compound was full of White Paw Gang members that apparently hadn’t gotten the message we were now allies; or rather, they worked for us. Neither I nor Tana were in the mood to negotiate so we just killed them. Tana would go stealth, and knife one in the back. Before his comrades could figure out what was going on, I’d shot two and she sniped the fourth. We tore through the compound, and I didn’t hold anything back. I had a lot of aggression that needed to come out, and every time I kicked someone’s face in, or blew their stomachs all over the floor I felt a little bit better.

We finally got to another sealed door, and Tana had it open in no time. I went in first, blasters out. I was checking corners when Tana nudged me and then I noticed it; sitting in the far center of the room was a large closed container. And sitting behind that closed container was a big frakkin droid that appeared to be offline.

“Bet you ten credits the droid wakes up when we open the box,” I said.

“Bet you twenty we don’t even open the box before the droid wakes up,” she countered.

I studied the container and droid in front of us a moment longer and decided my sister was probably right. We advanced slowly, cautiously, prepared for anything. The minute we got within a click of the container, the droid shot upwards on full alert.

Tana smirked. “Told you.”

“I am Heavy Resource Recovery Machine 5,” the Droid said. “I will not allow you to open the case. Do you understand?”

I opened my mouth to say something ******** but was stopped by my sisters hand on my arm. “We were sent here by Loramarr to retrieve it,” she said.

The droid went silent and I noticed a red line scanning over Tana, then myself. “Your bio signature does not match that of the retriever. Fail Safe 1376 activated. State the password or be destroyed.”

I looked at Tana and she looked at me. Neither one of us had the password of course.

“Kill it?” I said.

“Kill it,” she agreed. “Try to save the memory core though.”

“Got it.”

Battles with droids are not long. You either shut it down, or you get blasted to pieces. Tana stunned it, and I opened up on it, taking it down quick and hard.

While I went about opening up the case, she retrieved the droids memory core.

“Think you’ll find out who was supposed to pick this up?” I asked her and with a little grunt got the heavy lid off.

“Maybe,” she said. “It’s always good to know who you’ve taken something from and just made an enemy out of.”

“Good point.” I stared down into the case, which was unnecessarily huge for what was inside. I reached down and pulled out a small, square shaped, closed black box. Popping it open, a neural chip sat inside.

Tana came to stand at my shoulder and grinned. “Bingo.”

“How about that,” I said.

“Let’s move. We’ll celebrate later.”

Always the smart one, my sister. We left quickly, stepping over dead bodies and emerged back outside. I took off my helmet to let some of the cold air in and looked at Tana. “Where you headed next?”

“Belsavis,” my sister said. “The Empire it’s…” She paused and just shook her head. “Every day I understand Mom and Dad a little bit more.”

“Yeah…” I said, thinking about Quinn. “Me too.”

I snapped back to the present though and hugged her. She hugged me back. “So what’s with you and the goody-two shoes slicer?” Tana asked me.

“She’s not goody-two shoes,” I defended. “She… keeps me grounded. I like her.”

“Yeah I could tell. Don’t lose focus. Men get stupid when they start falling in love,” Tana said all matter of fact.

“I am the most focused member of this family,” I shot back. “And what about you? No boyfriends or anything? What about the Vector guy?”

“Seriously? The man who joined with Killiks? Yeah, because I could share all the family secrets with him. Then the whole hive would know.” She rolled her eyes. “He’s too nice for my tastes and way too in love with spreading the message of the Empire through diplomatic channels.”

She sounded so disgusted I had to cut up laughing. “Put a bounty on him and I’ll take care of it,” I offered.

She smiled at me. “Thanks big Bro. I can handle it. Had a threesome with Kaliyo last week. I’m good for a while.”

“Okay, way too much information.”

“I told her if she was going to keep bringing guys onto my ship, she was going to start sharing.”

“Stop, stop,” I held one hand up to my ear, trying not to laugh while being completely skeeved out. “Me inquiring about a boyfriend does not mean I want to know about your sleazy sex life.”

“Mako only likes missionary huh?” Tana grinned at me.

“I will not be baited by you. Don’t you have some where to be?”

“Yeah I do. Important Imperial business and all that.” She hugged me again. “Be careful out there.”

“Yeah, you too.”

I watched her jog away a second before I felt a presence behind me. I grinned faintly. “I wish I could have stayed for the beat down,” I said, turning around to face Aunt Reide.

Apparently she didn’t like my remark because Aunt Reide clocked me one good. “She’s still your Aunt, show some respect.”

“She might be your sister, but she’s not my aunt,” I said, but not disrespectfully. I didn’t understand it at times, but I could respect my mother’s decisions regarding her sister’s. I wondered how I’d feel though if Mekethia had actually killed Mako. Suddenly, I had the urge to see my slicer.

Aunt Reide sensed my change in demeanor. “Did you get it?”

I handed her the small square container. “Neural chipset inside. Looks like you were right, he was here.”

“How about that. Been chasing after this thing for a long time.”

“You find Loramarr?”

“I’m getting closer. I’m sure I’ll get him right when I need too.”

I nodded. “There was a big droid guarding the chip. It was waiting for someone to pick this thing up. Veltana’s got the memory core.”

“Smart girl. I’ll check in with her. Good seeing you boy.” Aunt Reide gave my cheek a loving slap this time, jumped on her speeder, and hauled butt out.

***Warning Post Contains Mild Smuggler/SW Companion Spoilers****

No Definition Needed

D-15 Mantis

I knew Torian had a report to give me about what had happened with the rest of Havoc Squad, but I had to give him credit for holding his tongue. The only thing he said to me when I finally got back on board my ship was: “She’s in your quarters. Doc said she’s stable. Keep her up for a while when she comes too.”

I nodded and took the stairs two at a time.

When I was in the doorway of my quarters I just stood there, looking at her. She was… at home in my space. I liked her here. Liked looking around my quarters and noticing the little things she’d left. That she’d moved. Then my gaze slid to the bump on her head and I frowned, darkly.

I’d become so lost in my anger that I didn’t even notice she’d woken up. Her voice pulled me out of it, and my gaze returned to her face.

“Your mom says she wants to meet me if things get serious. Are they… serious?”

Truth be told, I didn’t expect that to be the first thing she asked me when she woke up. I walked over and sat down on the edge of the bed next to her. “We don’t have to define it just yet, Mako,” I said quietly.

She said nothing for a moment, just studied my face. Slowly she sat up, touching my cheek and running her thumb underneath one of many bruises I’d gotten that day. “How did you know they were coming?”

I paused. For right now I didn’t want things getting any more complicated for her by telling her about my minimal force abilities. “Bounty Hunter gut feeling.”

She sighed, and I’m pretty sure it was happily. “That’s incredibly sexy.”

I couldn’t help a faint grin. “More than my melty look?”

“Nothing beats your melty look.” She raised her face, brushing her lips across mine. After everything that had happened today, I didn’t want to be gentle. And yet I did. It was some crazy kind of complexity and it made me shudder. I brought up my hands, cupping her face, taking control of the kiss she tried to deepen, because I felt like I was going to snap at any second; in which direction I didn’t know.

Gotta love my little slicer – she made the decision for me.

“I’ve got a bump on the head, I didn’t turn into glass,” Mako murmured. “Get closer big guy.”

I got a lot closer.

Chapter 17 – Unexpected Allies (The Sith)

Dubrillion

Royal Palace

It is a small galactic world. Elliah had often said our alliance with the planet of Dubrillion had been guided by the force. It had started when my sister, Reide’s ship had been stolen from her. When she retrieved it, she’d found Risha Drayen inside. She hadn’t realized it was the legendary pirate Nok Drayen's daughter until much later.

I hadn’t known that Vette had been part of Nok’s crew until she mentioned it to me during one of many late night, after battle drinking sessions. After learning that and getting the news from Reide everything else just clicked into place.

Pulling Dubrillion from its stupid little civil war into a state of order had been remarkably simple. Risha now sat on the throne. She and Vette had regained their friendship and Risha trusted Reide with her life. A near perfect ally.

Dubrillion had been the most ideal and convenient holding place until Loramarr or his chip could be found. Now that it had, we would duplicate the chipset here and then finally move the operation to the next phase.

I stood in a conference room in the royal palace, listening as Elliah and Nadia spoke to the Aristocrats that still held enough power they should be mollified of their concerns about the Sith and Jedi presence. Dubrillion prided itself on its independence, something I respected.

As the aristocrats took their leave, I gave them my attention, giving the group a respectful nod.

“Master Jedi Grell will escort you out, gentlemen,” Elliah said.

I could sense Nadia’s hesitation; she didn’t want to leave Elliah alone in a room with me. Her jealousy perked which of course bred her anger. I turned back to the window, hiding the sharper edge to my smile. It wouldn’t take much to turn Nadia to the dark side. However, as long as she remained in Elliah’s favor, I simply wouldn’t.

“It’s an amazing feeling when you sit inside the dark side of the force,” Elliah said to me as the door closed. “Your restraint is…”

“Well practiced. And not always reliable,” I said truthfully.

“You exercise it when you need too.”

I couldn’t stop my shoulders form stiffening. “Not always.”

Elliah came up behind me, touching my shoulders. “Laresa-“

“Lord Madine is plotting a coup,” I stepped out of his embrace, turning to face him.

Elliah looked thoughtful. “You felt his deception.”

“Of course.”

“He must be exposed then.”

“You don’t give a man with that much power a voice so soon. Risha needs time to cement her ruler ship over these people. I’ll handle him.”

Elliah was not at all put off by my very Sith like assessment of the situation. In essence he stayed more true to the Jedi code then most of them when he said without emotion, only logic; “It would look too suspicious if you killed him.”

“If I kill him, it will be covered up enough that those who wish to believe the lie can. Those that choose to give into fear will back down, and even those that believe the truth will hesitate. All paths make Risha appear stronger.”

“Vette was right about you, Lord Jinobie. I like the way you think,” Risha said.

Elliah and I turned as Queen Risha Drayen walked into the room. Vette and Reide followed in behind her. The sight of my sister brought a smile to my mouth

“I made you family, so you get to call her Laresa,” Reide said for me, and I allowed this because it was true. For now. I greeted Risha with the same smile, though fainter.

“I can’t stay, I just wanted to thank you. And you, Master Elliah.”

“It is my sincerest pleasure, Risha,” Elliah said.

“Our alliance benefits us both. And you’ve made my sister rich. Thank you, Risha,” I said with some amusement.

“And you should see the upgrades she made to my ship.” Reide pushed the conference table chairs out of the way and sat on the edge.

“Risha and I are going to go steal something out of the Royal Museum,” Vette said with a devious grin on her face.

“Plenty of time before my next meeting. I’ll see you all tonight.” Risha and Vette turned back towards the door. Risha paused in the doorway and looked right at me. "Handle the situation as you see fit."

Meaning Lord Madine. I nodded at her. I'd send Jaesa to handle it later.

“Bring me back something for my bathroom!” Reide called out to them as Risha and Vette walked back out.

“Wonderful to see you, Reide,” Elliah said when we were all alone again.

Reide winked over at him. “Brother-in-law. I took the chip to the facility. It’s complicated and it’ll be slow moving but they can do it.”

“Just not too slow. We’re running out of time,” I said quietly.

“I figured as much.” Reide got off the table and came up to the window next to me. She crossed her arms over her chest and put her shoulder against the glass, turning her head to gaze out over the landscape. “You don’t owe them this much.”

“I’ve told her the same,” Elliah said quietly.

I sighed. I appreciated that they were protective over my burden. But nothing either of them said could dull the truth of the matter. No, I didn’t owe Xerrin or Mekethia much, not really. Our grief over the matter was equal.

But I did owe Kazrin.

Chapter 18 - Remembering: Coruscant

Before the war

“Laresa! What are you doing?!”

Laresa Jinobie, a blindfold around her eyes, stood on the roof of the four story building. She moved slowly and a bit clumsily, her hands out in front of her. “The force will guide me. I can see the force,” she kept repeating, over and over.

“Laresa! Laresa stop!”

Determination setting her jaw, Laresa took another step – and walked right off the edge.

A sudden burst of speed put Kazrin Jinobie in the right place at the right moment to catch his little sister before the ground did. “There are better ways to see the force, sister,” he sounded both out of breath and amused.

Laresa pulled off her blindfold. She wasn’t wearing her eye patch so on one side, she looked like a Miraluka should; with an empty eye socket. However on the left side a dark grey eye peered sheepishly up at her big brother.

Xerrin Jinobie their older sister grabbed Laresa from Kazrin’s arms, torn between hugging and shaking her. She settled for the hugging. “Why are you so stupid? What were you thinking?”

“I want to see the force as you do. I wanted it to guide me.” Laresa’s mouth twisted as even as she hugged her sister tightly. “It didn’t guide me very well.”

“I told you she’d do it,” Reide Jinobie sat Indian style on a rock in the forest, watching it all. She like Laresa had one eye, but she was currently wearing her eye patch.

“Laresa, you are our family. You are Miraluka. You sense the force in your own way and that is neither right nor wrong. It just is,” Kazrin said gently.

Laresa’s eyes clouded. “Mom and Dad don’t think that.”

The Miraluka prided themselves on their ability to sense the force, so powerfully that it became their eyes. All pure bred Miraluka were born with empty eye sockets. Except for two. Reide and Laresa Jinobie were mutations, accidents. Born twins, they had given their mother a difficult pregnancy. She’d had them three weeks early and both girls had come out with one eye a piece, and been shunned because of it.

“You’ll never be as strong with the force as your siblings.” Their mother had often told them.

“If the Master wants to take them to the Jedi temple, let him. The Luka Sene have no use for them.” Their father had said the day they’d been recruited to learn the ways of the Jedi.

Xerrin and Kazrin looked at each other, sympathy on their faces. Xerrin kissed the top of Laresa’s head.

Reide came over and punched Laresa playfully in the shoulder. “We didn’t plan on listening to them anyway.”

“For once, I agree with her.” Xerrin smiled.

“She’s right. Listen only to your masters. You’ll prove them all wrong, Laresa. I know you will,” Kazrin said.

“I will. I’m gonna be the best Jedi ever,” Laresa said determinedly.

“Not if you keep walking off rooftops,” Reide grinned.

Her words brought laughter from all of them. Kazrin swung Laresa up onto his shoulders. “We must get back before we’re missed. We don’t want another lecture on the danger of attachments,” Kazrin said good naturedly.

Xerrin chuckled and taking Reide’s hand, led the way back to the Jedi Temple.

Chapter 19 - Remembering: Cliff Notes On The War

In truth I rarely thought about my parent’s rejection, as a child I was focused on the joy of my training. We had been taken from them very young, like most Jedi initiates are. However, my parents always kept track of Xerrin and Kazrin, I knew this because they sent letters. Reide and I never received anything of the sort.

I knew real happiness as a child. Training with other members of the Bergruufta clan. Sneaking into the archives with Reide and reading holocrons we weren’t suppose to have access to. Secret evening meetings with Reide, and Xerrin, and Kazrin, where we talked about our days apart, what we were learning, and simply reconnected as a family.

Most times during those visits we just played. Xerrin and Kazin would use either me or Reide to test the strength of their force power by tossing us back and forth. Often they dropped us and boy did we laugh. There was always a lot of laughter during those nights because Kazrin was so funny. He was my favorite, but I looked up to Xerrin too because she was so strong, and wise, and so incredible with the force I really wanted to be as good as she was when I got older.

I was seven when we adopted Mekethia a pure blood Sith into our little family, and simultaneously the war started, causing my rose colored view of the galaxy to vanish, never to return.

Those years were almost a blur, everything moved so fast. As Jedi Initiates our training became much more real and we were pushed to train harder, faster. I became a Padawan when I was ten, and saw my first battlefield at 14. Reide had dropped out of Jedi training and found her home with the Republic Fleet. It didn’t take her long to become one of their best pilots.

It was no surprise that Xerrin became a Guardian. Kazrin was a peacekeeper, he always had been and spent most of his days on Coruscant in the Jedi Temple. He was enhancing his force abilities as a Seer and his visions often saved lives.

I was Knighted by the time I was nineteen and became a Jedi Shadow. It was my job to operate as a spy, to seek out those missions that could undermine Imperial footholds, to find some impossible way to give us an advantage in this vicious war.

Perhaps it was my chosen path that was truly my undoing. As a Shadow the lines of right and wrong became blurred. Being in the midst of the war made me see the Republic for all its flaws, watch good men and women push the line every day all in the name of their justified cause.

My Master often warned me that because I’d always wanted to see the force as Xerrin and Kazrin had it had made me extra sensitive to its projection off of other people. Every time I tracked down and killed a Sith that energy seemed to penetrate my defenses so much that I could feel its power hours after the battle.

Meditation didn’t always rid me of the feeling and I destroyed many a training dummy in my attempt to ignore it. Ignore, reject, but never learn about and control. My thoughts bothered me because I sensed I was slipping onto a dangerous path. I tried vehemently to suppress it, but the war made it difficult. I naturally gravitated toward the fighting style of Juyo too, a vicious and unpredictable form that required a Jedi to attack but with controlled passion, an emotion the Jedi code rejected in favor of peace. In most instances it worked, once or twice I felt myself slipping outside of the forge I’d created in my mind, wanting so much to give into those darker emotions.

While we all fought the Sith, I fought them and myself.

At times I desperately wished I had Reide, or Xerrin, or Kazrin to talk too but my assignments often sent me undercover, deep behind enemy lines so communicating with them was impossible.

Twenty-eight long years later I received word that I was to pull out of my current assignment and come home. Peace talks were going to take place on Alderaan.

Naturally I was suspicious. But the thought of peace was such a welcome respite. I boarded my ship and sent word to Reide I was going to Coruscant to see Kazrin. I had heard Xerrin was sent to Alderaan during the talks just in case it was a trap.

And it had been a trap of the foulest kind. I had just walked out of the spaceport on Coruscant when it was attacked.

Chapter 20 - Remembering: The Fall

Fury ragged through me as I felt the overwhelming presence of so many Sith. It was no surprise they had betrayed us, but they were attacking the Jedi Temple. The temple! Younglings were there. My Master. My brother.

“Kazrin…” I whispered and without further thought I ran.

The streets and the skies were the most chaotic battlefield I’d ever seen. I killed every Imperial that got in my way, and I was so focused on this task I ignored any cries for help I heard. I had to get to the Temple. I had to help.

I was halfway there when I saw Kazrin. He was helping an injured group of people out of the street, pointing them in the direction of safety. Relief poured through me and I rushed over to him.

He embraced me tightly. “You can’t say here Laresa,” he said. “They’re going to trap us here, use us as leverage. Who knows we may all die. You must get out.”

“No,” I said vehemently pulling out of his embrace. “I’m not leaving. We’ve got to get to the temple.”

Kazrin shook his head. “It’s lost Laresa you can’t-”

“We can’t just let them take it!” I shouted, my emotions getting the better of me.

Kazrin said something to me, but I didn’t hear him. My Master had just fallen. I felt his death and my anger surged. Ignoring my brother, I released the blades on my double bladed lightsaber and began running in that direction.

“Laresa!” Kazrin shouted after me. He used the force to give him a burst of speed and suddenly he was in front of me again, putting up his hands. “Laresa stop!”

But I couldn’t stop. I just couldn’t. I flicked my wrist and made my brother fly off to the side out of my way. I charged towards the temple again, but Kazrin had recovered and he used the force to yank me back towards him.

“Laresa this is not the way! We can’t fight them here!”

“But we can kill some of them!” I shouted. I wanted their deaths. I needed their deaths. Every time a Jedi fell I could feel it. And so many of them did all at once, all around me, and it was feeding my rage so hotly I could no longer ignore it and I certainly couldn’t control it. I just didn’t know how. I started for the temple again.

“I said stop!” Kazrin shot his hand out, his force power knocking me backwards, purposefully hurting me this time, trying to get my attention. “You have to get out of here, Laresa! Now!”

I got to my feet, my knuckles scratched and bleeding, my face a pure mask of fury. “You don’t get to tell me what to do anymore. Help me or get out of my way,” I all but snarled.

“Laresa, don’t do this,” Kazrin said urgently. “We’ll fight them together. Just not here.”

“GET OUT OF MY WAY!” I roared, and the force of it knocked him backwards. I leaped at him, but he was up, and he blocked my blade.

I could smell the smoke, the blaster fire, the charred flesh. I kept feeling the death of the Jedi, the rage of so many Siths and I used it. Kazrin had become an enemy and all I could think about was defeating him.

It was insane how powerful I felt, how much sharper, faster my motions became. He had no choice but to engage me, and he couldn’t hold anything back if he still harbored any hope I would not use every breath left in me to avenge what had just been done.

His blade came at my chest, I countered. It came at my head and I ducked, put a hand to the ground, pushed upwards and flipped over him. I kicked him hard in the back, sending him stumbling forward. I charged but he was so quick, he met every strike, put me back on the defensive and that just fed my anger.

His foot landed in my chest, sent me backwards. He used his force power to rip up the very earth, sending a stream of rocks into my path. Growling I cut through them, and leaped at him again, my blade coming down towards his head.

He brought his own up, blocked my strike, tried to sweep my feet out from underneath me, I jumped, thrust my blade at his mid section. He twirled his own double bladed lightsaber, knocking away my strike, and with the other end cut my face, near my jaw. I blanched at the hit, and for just a split second tasted my own blood.

“Laresa stop. Please, you’ve gone too far-”

But I couldn’t hear him. I didn’t even see him. I attacked again, and were locked in a fierce battle, the sound of our sabers cutting through the air strike, after strike, after strike until suddenly it happened; I gained the edge, saw the opening I needed and without hesitation I went in the for kill, triumph on my face as I drove my lightsaber into his chest.

In that moment the world returned to focus. In that moment I saw him, saw Kazrin, my beloved brother; the shock on his face, the twist of pain.

What had I done?

“Kazrin…” I said in a panic. I withdrew my blade and dropped it. He collapsed and I caught him frantically. “Oh no… Oh no, no, no… Kazrin I’m sorry... don’t leave... Oh please don’t go... I didn’t mean it…”

“Don’t… lose your way,” he whispered so low I could barely hear him.

“Kazrin I’m so sorry… please don’t die… please…” But he did die, not a second later, despite my furious tears, and pleading sobs. And when I realized he was gone, I shattered.

I clutched him to me. I clutched him to me so tightly and I screamed. I screamed and I roared and I sobbed and I felt like I would come apart at the seams with the force of my agony.

Reide pulled me away. I don’t know how long she’d been there, or what she’d seen but it didn’t seem to matter. I don’t remember much else. Only that she got me and a group of survivors to her ship and somehow got us off Coruscant.

When we reconnected with Xerrin I was so broken I could barely speak. Reide told Xerrin we’d found Kazrin like that, another victim of the attack. Mekethia had been devastated. I could tell the news took Xerrin hard but she was a true Jedi. She told us to find comfort in the fact that Kazrin was now one with the force.

The Empire forced the Treaty of Coruscant and the Republic felt it had no choice but to take it. I heard that the Republic blamed the Jedi for what had happened and that news infuriated me. As soon as I felt my rage though I thought about Kazrin and felt sick.

I ignored the calls of the Council of First Knowledge and spent months alone, wrapped up in the silence of my grief, the never ending circle of questions in my head. Why had I snapped like that? Where had my training had failed me? How could I have possibly killed someone I loved so much? My own brother?

It was only after Grand Master Satele Shan brought the Jedi back to Tython I could stand it no more. I wouldn’t get my answers here. I had to leave.

“I’m coming with you,” Reide said the day I’d left.

“You can’t go where I’m going,” I said. “I have to understand what happened. The Jedi can’t help me.”

“Xerrin won’t let you leave.”

I sighed. “I know.” I hugged Reide tightly. “I’ll keep in touch, I promise.”

“I will hunt your *** down if you don’t,” she said in a thick voice.

I didn’t tell Reide I loved her. She knew. I just turned around and walked out. Mekethia wouldn’t care I was gone, she hadn’t bonded with Reide and I the way she’d bonded with Xerrin and especially Kazrin.

It didn’t take me long to find Xerrin in one of the gardens meditating.

“Xerrin?”

She opened her eyes and smiled. “Laresa.” She got up, and hugged me tightly. “I want us all to reconnect, and soon. It’s been too long.”

Her words broke my heart a little more. I closed my eyes, and simply basked in her affection. In a moment I would no longer receive it. Finally, I had to draw away. I had to tell her the truth. Summoning all the courage and strength I had I said, “Kazrin wasn’t killed by the Sith. I killed him.”

Xerrin went very still. “Why would you say that, Laresa?”

I met her sightless gaze and told her everything. Every little detail of it. Xerrin looked torn apart by the news, and I could feel the rise and fall of her conflicting emotions.

“I must… I must report you to the council. You will come with me.”

“I’m not going to the council,” I said gently.

“You will come with me to the council and they will decide-”

“Xerrin I’m leaving-”

“You will do as I say!” She back handed me, sending me to the ground.

I felt no anger at her strike. Only pain. Not from her blow, but for the reason behind it. Tears filled my eyes.“I’m so sorry,” I whispered.

For a moment my proud, strong sister looked broken. She sunk to her knees. “Oh Laresa,” she whispered. “What have you done?”

My face pinched. “I will never hurt a member of our family again. I swear it.” And before she could say anything else, I ran.