Alacricity

Boansaw

Mercenaries in general, whether bodyguard, pryo, or arsenal all depend on long cast time abilities. Which in PvP is essentially a self root.

In the few posts I've seen addressing the topic of stat priority that aren't a year plus old, I've always seen alacricity placed at the bottom of the barrel. That seems counter-intuitive. If cast times are the issue, why wouldn't you want to prioritize that a little higher?

I read somewhere in these forums back during the first months of launch that taking the alacricity stat reduces your damage and overheats you. They tried to show that unload did less damage because it wasn't being casted it's entire length, and that you are losing out on bonuses you get from surge, power, and whatever else you put behind it. Overheating comes because the heat mechanic is time based and more casts with less time just equals more heat. Sound argument, especially for a PvE fight.

In my experience in PvP, just starting out in the 50 PvP scene, rarely do I survive long enough , or have an overabundance of targets to shoot at to overheat. Now this is 50 PuG running so it's not like I have a healer keeping me up, whether I'm healing or dps'ing. With a little testing by increasing the alacricity stat my tracer missle is at 1.3 seconds cast, so I can get more of them off without being "rooted" in place. Am I fooling myself by thinking that stat could help solve the turret play style? What do you all think?

Sincerely,

Fenriswulv on Harbringer

Alacrity isn't good for one reason: It takes away from accuracy. Accuracy is pretty important for a merc, because your unload is actually your best dps ability. You need every tick of unload to hit. Currently, the merc is broken in pvp anyway and no stat change will help it. What they need to do is make a "cover" type stance for the merc so some of their skills can't be interrupted. That way they can compete with the awesome ranged class the sniper is.

Alacrity isn't good for one reason: It takes away from accuracy. Accuracy is pretty important for a merc, because your unload is actually your best dps ability. You need every tick of unload to hit. Currently, the merc is broken in pvp anyway and no stat change will help it. What they need to do is make a "cover" type stance for the merc so some of their skills can't be interrupted. That way they can compete with the awesome ranged class the sniper is.

No, it can take away from surge instead.

But more alacrity isn't worth it, it is a very minor speed increase, you can get unload down to 2.5s from a 3s cast by stacking up the alacrity and that's nothing worth having.

Edited by Gyronamics

I appreciate the replies.

I firmly think accuracy should be stacked right behind expertise for PvP, but I was thinking the next stat priority after crit would be alacricity.

So the assumption that unload doesn't provide it's full damage with less of a cast time is not the issue. I'm glad that seems to be the case, it didn't make much sense when I read it. Bad info is bad info - hopefully.

I'm with you all on the broken aspects of mercenary pvp, fixes like cover and any other mechanic would be worthwhile. Playing on my little sniper I can see a ton of difference. But I can only control what I can control. So 2.5 second cast vs. a 3 second cast. 2 second power shot / tracer missile vs. a 1 second.

Any other thoughts on whether that stat could help or hurt? Opinions and experiences are welcome!

Sincerely,

Fenriswulv of Harbringer