"Girl Gamers" And Drama

Dysehunter

Just a question to other players really.

Over the years I've played quite a few MMO's and various Online/Multiplayer games, Now a lot of my friends are women and 1 thing I have personally noticed over the years, "Girl Gamers" bring a lot of drama to the table where there is none or doesn't need to be.

For example if your in a flash point and your in the zone, One of your friends asks you a question and you get to the Ventrillo/Teamspeak button a bit too late and they throw a hissy fit, Their mic is a bit loud and you ask them to turn it down and they say "Fine I just wont speak".....I could list so many more but that's the general idea.

This type of behaviour I've noticed from 90% of girl gamers I've met over the years and it confuses the hell out of me.

And my question to other players, Men and Women alike is, Why is this ?

Edited by Dysehunter

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the years I've played quite a few MMO's and various Online/Multiplayer games, Now a lot of my friends are women and 1 thing I have personally noticed over the years, "Girl Gamers" bring a lot of drama to the table where there is none or doesn't need to be.

For example if your in a flash point and your in the zone, One of your friends asks you a question and you get to the Ventrillo/Teamspeak button a bit too late and they throw a hissy fit, Their mic is a bit loud and you ask them to turn it down and they say "Fine I just wont speak".....I could list so many more but that's the general idea.

This type of behaviour I've noticed from 90% of girl gamers I've met over the years and it confuses the hell out of me.

And my question to other players, Men and Women alike is, Why is this?

You mean like what this thread is attempting to do?

I've gotten this same response and similar ones from guys that are angry too. Although it sounds worse when a woman does it: the female's voice of throwing a tantrum is worse than the male's version.

TL;DR: No difference between men and women gamers: both have certain individuals that cause drama.

You make a good point but I have been in vent or teamspeak and suddenly a tantrum is thrown by one of our many female guild members *not in this game* and the guys in the channel all go "What the hell was that ?!?!?!?" and are genuinely confused.

I'm not saying all of this to incite aggro or hate but it just really puzzles me as to why the "girl gamer" brings drama to any situation.

The problem isn't with the "90%" of girl gamers, it's often that some guys cannot seem to control themselves when a girl is present. At best, they may develop a simple crush on her but otherwise leave her alone. At worst, they will think she "owes" them something (starts with s and is 3 letters) and that she only plays games to get the affections and attentions of the "superior" and "better at the game" male.

Most women who play this game don't even make their gender known. I know, it's hard to imagine, right?

But yeah, let's take your anecdotal evidence as proof that 90% of girl gamers are like that. I mean, it's not like you're biased or anything.

Okay, you are. Your attitude is deeply rooted in sexist beliefs.

The problem isn't with the "90%" of girl gamers, it's often that some guys cannot seem to control themselves when a girl is present. At best, they may develop a simple crush on her but otherwise leave her alone. At worst, they will think she "owes" them something (starts with s and is 3 letters) and that she only plays games to get the affections and attentions of the "superior" and "better at the game" male.

Most women who play this game don't even make their gender known. I know, it's hard to imagine, right?

But yeah, let's take your anecdotal evidence as proof that 90% of girl gamers are like that. I mean, it's not like you're biased or anything.

Did you even read my post ? I said 90% of girl gamers I HAVE MET, Not 90% of all girl gamers.

No it really isnt please remove the stick from your behind, My attitude is not rooted in sexist beliefs so take that complete and utter BS and shove it were the sun dont shine, As i said this is an observation of mine throughout years of gaming with a lot of girlyfriends, Outside of game they are great but as soon as they get behind that keyboard they change, im not saying men don't but i've noticed it a lot more in "girl gamers".

Edited by Dysehunter

Did you even read my post ? I said 90% of girl gamers I HAVE MET, Not 90% of all girl gamers.

Doesn't matter. You're still extremely biased. If you weren't, you wouldn't be making it an issue of "girl gamers", you'd make it an issue of individual personalities.

I won't lie, I have indeed met the female gamers that you describe, but the entirety of my experience with girl gamers is overwhelmingly positive.

Probably has something to do with the fact that that all guilds I've been in were exceedingly mature, had strict drama policies and strong meritocratic principles - we didn't keep players for pretty voices and cute photos, neither did we appreciate "brodude" cliques.

Edited by Helig

"Girl gamer" is meant to describe a girl or a woman that plays video games. Am I missing something here? What else does it mean?

Pretty much, I think. Unless we're thinking Encyclopedia Dramatica or some other rotten source.

This thread is silly.

When you say 90% of women you've played with online, what is that, 2? Instead of just using reason and thinking that these women you happen to know are a little fiesty (maybe are bi-polar or just angry people), you instead create an imaginary term to describe a whole category of women.

So yeah, no, I've been playing MMOs with a lot of different women since 2006, there has only been one I ever met that ever was dramatic at all, and to be fair, it was a guy that kind of started it, who was exceptionally angry and dramatic himself and started stuff with other guys all the time. I'd say that 99% of all drama in my guilds were started and ended with men. Which makes sense since they are always in the majority.

Over the years I've played quite a few MMO's and various Online/Multiplayer games, Now a lot of my friends are women and 1 thing I have personally noticed over the years, "Girl Gamers" bring a lot of drama to the table where there is none or doesn't need to be

You know what also happens? "Boy gamers" bring a lot of drama to the table where there is none or doesn't need to be. It's just a different flavor of drama from "girl gamer" drama.

Edited by branmakmuffin

I have to say, my faith in humanity was restored some one by the fact that the OP is the only one being sexist. Yes, I have met women in games who cause drama. I have also met men in games who cause drama. I really haven't experienced one more than the other.

And by using the broclique "girl gamer" definition, you are already describing a subset of girls who play games who are more prone to drama. That is like asking why so many people called gingers have red hair. It's part of the definition.

I have to say, my faith in humanity was restored some one by the fact that the OP is the only one being sexist. Yes, I have met women in games who cause drama. I have also met men in games who cause drama. I really haven't experienced one more than the other.

And by using the broclique "girl gamer" definition, you are already describing a subset of girls who play games who are more prone to drama. That is like asking why so many people called gingers have red hair. It's part of the definition.

Wouldn't call momentarily venting of a negative experience necessarily "sexist". If I complain that most people of another colour than me were jerks in my recent experience, that wouldn't make me racist, because I'd be complaining about jerks who shared an obvious physical/physiological trait.

Granted, I would not be very politically correct if I did just that, but, quite frankly, political correctness it is now does more harm than good, as far as society is concerned.

Edited by Helig

"Girl gamer" is meant to describe a girl or a woman that plays video games. Am I missing something here? What else does it mean?

OP's probably going with the "fake geek girl" angle - that if the woman involved is mildly attractive, she must therefore be playing games for the attention of men :rolleyes:

OP's misogyny is pretty obvious, making generalizations about women just because of a few isolated incidents. In nothing else, he's encouraging women not to play in guilds with people they don't know, in case they're accused of causing drama (because whenever a woman does anything, it absolutely must be dramatic.)

Wouldn't call momentarily venting of a negative experience necessarily "sexist". If I complain that most people of another colour than me were jerks in my recent experience, that wouldn't make me racist, because I'd be complaining about jerks who shared an obvious physical/physiological trait.

Granted, I would not be very politically correct if I did just that, but, quite frankly, political correctness it is now does more harm than good, as far as society is concerned.

That's not what he did, though.

The analogy would be if you posted a thread saying "Anyone else have issues with *insert a word for a common racial stereotype*? Every *racial stereotype word* I've known does *insert racial stereotype*. And then tells everyone to look up the meaning of said racial stereotype.

Edited by chuixupu

I know a lot of women who play SWTOR as well, but most of them act normal to criticism.

Occasionally there is one who stirs up drama but there are men who do the same thing.

IMO it's not the gender which determines the reaction.

This. That's my experience with -every- game I've played, I've met plenty of females in games who are mature and don't cause drama, same can be said for the males I've met. Then again, on the flip side of it, I've met plenty of boys and girls who cause drama. It just depends on the type of person you choose to associate with OP. As for your question, you did ask it in a very loaded manner and as Dodia mentioned, you could have simply chose to ask about this specific personality type, rather than using a blanket statement as to why female gamers act like this.

what the last person said. Here's one for the OP. Why is it, when a guy tells you you probably don't want any crit in your gear, you don't go ask another guy, but if a girl tells you, you don't believe it? Or if a girl hs an answer to a question, you just cut her off and talk over her, but then some guy will make the same observation and it's like "oh, okay we'll try that".

Makes me want to puke. Like just because we're women, we can't min/max our gear or understand theorycrafting or know how to play our toons without our hands being held. Let alone share that info. I've seen some guys get awfully defensive when you offer them *tactful* advice (because the hissy fit is much worse if you don't).

*sigh* A girl who games who has a healthy IQ and a true interest in the game won't be beleived until she's validated by one your your male friends. Observe some time. And quit worrying about us.

you mean you think you have met?

that point about many MANY female gamers not even revealing their gender in game is sadly extremely valid. why sadly? because of the reasons why. because for many women it's simply more peaceful and drama reducing to keep assumption that they are male - alive.

you claim women cause drama? in my experience drama is caused regardless of gender, but quite a few male gamers I've met facilitated quite a bit of drama just because female voice showed up in voice chat.

so a lot of women simply don't get into voice chat, or don't speak when they do (ever played with someone whose mic doesn't work, or they can't speak for whatever reason? I guarantee you that some of those players were female). a lot of women get so tired of commentary on their "sexy" voice, lewd whispers, etc, they lash out at the latest comment, because its the straw that broke the camel's back.

and your number 90%... I have a very strong suspicion that its far less than this claim, you just remember those instances of drama as more than what they amounted to, quantitatively. human brains do tend to remember the negative far more vividly than positive, especially when they are predisposed to it, through personal bias.