Galactic Starfighter....suggestions to give it wider appeal, short and long term

LordArtemis

Ok, many posts exist for this already, but I wanted to bring some focus to what I feel MIGHT be some issues moving forward.

Now, first, this is extremely early, so this could be something that is already planned, or the feature could be so good it will not matter. I concede both points.

But I wanted to comment on what I see are common themes and concerns around the net about the new feature, and perhaps list them out, and see if others would like to do the same.

Here is my list of things I would like Bioware to consider, short and long term.

1) Cockpit view and Joystick control. The reason I feel both are important is that it is a common staple of the kind of games that this feature seems to have some kinship with at first glance, and I think this is what many folks would like to see.

I contend that cockpit view does not have to be fancy...something without moving arms, just the cockpit window and dash would probably work. Just a zoom in to first person view would apply. Also, if joystick option can't be implemented, perhaps some kind of interface to assign keys to a joystick would work, or at least joystick capability would be appreciated IMO.

2) Eventual implementation of capital ship combat, on foot combat to expand this feature into a BF2 like PVP feature. One of the most appealing features of BF2, IMO, was the ability to transition out of your fighter into a hanger, and then fight on foot. You could man a turret, or take out objectives in the ship/defend the ship.

I would suggest low poly single appearance models for players, and a single bar for abilities, using the same interface as the fighter. The might allow something like this to be added. Perhaps the free legacy gear given out to pilots could be the default appearances used.

To clarify on this a bit, that means a completely different single appearance model for pubs and imps. The model would have a simple appearance, be low on polys...so essentially everyone on one side that had the same class would look the same. Your class would only apply to the basic appearance and the weapon you used.

3) Eventual implementation of PVE features. Would be nice to see some kind of PVE element come down the road that uses this setup, even if it is just dailies or some kind of single mission workup. Obviously this would take a huge amount of work, considering AI requirements and the like. But perhaps if the feature proves popular it might be worth it to do so down the road.

As a final comment, I think second suggestion could open the door for another option for on foot PVP. If the on foot suggestion is ever implemented and it proves popular it could open the door to a PVP alternative that would be far more appealing than what is in place at present.

I would also like to stress that I think the reticule needs to be fixed, while keeping the targeting circle for automatic missile lockon. Not only would this improve mouse movement response and remove weapon aiming (unless you are in sniping mode), it would also make it easier to add joystick support.

At the very least I think that the reticule circle needs to be reduced to a very small one for the movement response area, not targeting area. This could work for quicker response with keyboards and allow joystick control.

Finally, I would suggest an adjustment (nerf) of all abilities of about 40 percent of total damage, scaling up to 40 as the gear level increases to flatten out the playing field a bit, and make it more skill based and less gear based...gear would still provide a substantial boost, but new players would not be discouraged from going up against veteran players in full gear.

A bolster system could be used instead to reduce this wide gap if necessary.

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to the lists from others.

Edited by LordArtemis

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see ground vehicle combat like what their doing with space, but their cool ground assault vehicles. I would play the hell out of a World of Tanks clone on this game and would sink money and time into building up to a top tier class of vehicle. an AT-ST in PvP would be epic.

I'm hoping they expand the space combat to add classes of ships and even if there is a grind to obtain new ships, etc I would jump at this.

I think a PvE implementation would be very appealing to a lot of people. I would love to see some co-op content that was hard enough to present a challenge but easy to learn and play.

As for now, PvP is fine but I can def get behind a PvE implementation.

But PvE players already have their own space game, they don't need to corrupt our PvP space game!

What PVE has right now for a space game sucks and isn't really much of a game, unless its been changed recently and the rails have been removed.

1) Cockpit view and Joystick control. The reason I feel both are important is that it is a common staple of the kind of games that this feature seems to have some kinship with at first glance, and I think this is what many folks would like to see.

3) Eventual implementation of capital ship combat, on foot combat to expand this feature into a BF2 like PVP feature. One of the most appealing features of BF2, IMO, was the ability to transition out of your fighter into a hanger, and then fight on foot. You could man a turret, or take out objectives in the ship/defend the ship.

Capital ships could be fun, especially if they are getting attacked by tiny fighters, cockpit view and joystick would be nice options be not really game breaking IMO, although I'm sure others disagree.

I would like to see ground vehicle combat like what their doing with space, but their cool ground assault vehicles. I would play the hell out of a World of Tanks clone on this game and would sink money and time into building up to a top tier class of vehicle. an AT-ST in PvP would be epic.

I'm hoping they expand the space combat to add classes of ships and even if there is a grind to obtain new ships, etc I would jump at this.

Yes, the Tank missions in ME1 were great, and even the hover vehicle missions in ME2 were good(annoyingly weak though), so ground vehicle PVP could be great.

I'm hoping they allow you to take your ship into the PVP sections, but only because maybe then they'll let us change the ships, especially the Jedi ship.

Having compelling AI in a 270/360deg room is a mammoth undertaking, and if they are working on it, I wouldn't expect to see it anytime soon.

Strange, back in the 1990ies there were lots of space simulators and that was the time, when games were still on diskettes and using 386 and 486 CPUs

Just imagine a group of folks being able to fly in, in formation, to attack a target. I can see how something like that would be very fun to play.

I can imagine it.... but it will never happen outside of a guild premade, and maybe not even then.

The best we can hope for is for everyone to Zerg forward at the same speed (maximum), and focus fire the first target to come into range.

But PvE players already have their own space game, they don't need to corrupt our PvP space game!

Excuse me?? Your PVP space game?? Entitled much??

It isn't your anything so get over it..

Yes, a PVE part of it should be added.. There is no such thing is a PVE thing and a PVP thing.. We all play this game.. Stop trying to divide it.. Thanks.. :rolleyes:

Edited by MajikMyst

I am pretty sure there is some software to assign keyboard/mouse controls to joystick (there is software that does that for Xbox controller connected to PC). That should work for you if you really insist on playing with joystick.

It isn't quite that simple.. The game still has to be set up to accept inputs from the controller.. I have an X-Box controller for PC on my computer right now.. Unless the game has an option to use a controller, it isn't going to work..

Otherwise people with controllers could use them now.. :)

Edited by MajikMyst

Ok, many posts exist for this already, but I wanted to bring some focus to what I feel MIGHT be some issues moving forward.

Now, first, this is extremely early, so this could be something that is already planned, or the feature could be so good it will not matter. I concede both points.

But I wanted to comment on what I see are common themes and concerns around the net about the new feature, and perhaps list them out, and see if others would like to do the same.

Here is my list of things I would like Bioware to consider, short and long term.

I contend that cockpit view does not have to be fancy...something without moving arms, just the cockpit window and dash would probably work. Just a zoom in to first person view would apply. Also, if joystick option can't be implemented, perhaps some kind of interface to assign keys to a joystick would work, or at least joystick capability would be appreciated IMO.

2) Eventual implementation of PVE features. Would be nice to see some kind of PVE element come down the road that uses this setup, even if it is just dailies or some kind of single mission workup.

3) Eventual implementation of capital ship combat, on foot combat to expand this feature into a BF2 like PVP feature. One of the most appealing features of BF2, IMO, was the ability to transition out of your fighter into a hanger, and then fight on foot. You could man a turret, or take out objectives in the ship/defend the ship.

I would suggest low poly single appearance models for players, and a single bar for abilities, using the same interface as the fighter. The might allow something like this to be added.

As a final comment, I think this feature could open the door for another option for on foot PVP. If the on foot suggestion is ever implemented and it proves popular it could open the door to a PVP alternative that would be far more appealing than what is in place at present.

1: Cockpit view.. This is a great idea, I am just not sure we are going to get it.. The biggest reason is, we would need the ability to look around.. Even XWA, we had the ability to look to our left, right, and behind our ship while in cockpit view.. These would be required functions for a cockpit view as it is situation awareness.. Now the question is, how hard is that to add or program in??

2: PVE features?? Yes.. We need that.. We need that in spades.. What we have now is going to be obsolete and meaningless when this new space combat stuff is released.. We need tons of PVE stuff.. While I don't think it will happen.. It would be nice if the old space missions were converted..

3: Capital ship?? This needs more explaining.. Are we talking about player controlled or AI controlled?? AI controlled would be awesome!! They could even be tactically useful in both a PVE and PVP environment.. I am not sure player controlled would be a good idea.. There could possibly be some balance issues on the PVP side.. As for PVE?? Well.. I think the idea is doesn't have much of a purpose.. Unless it is part of a quest where we man a turret and have to kill 10 enemy fighters or bombers or something..

It would also be cool to see the capital ships firing on each other.. I guess this could be a PVP thing in that the goal is to destroy the enemy capital ship.. So yeah.. As I think about this.. I am warming up to the idea.. I can see where they could be a factor and improve the environment..

:)

It isn't quite that simple.. The game still has to be set up to accept inputs from the controller.. I have an X-Box controller for PC on my computer right now.. Unless the game has an option to use a controller, it isn't going to work..

I am pretty sure someone here on forums claimed he was able to use some third-party software to map keyboard keys to xbox controller and play swtor on a big screen. So basically, pressing LB+A on controller equaled to for example pressing 5 on keyboard, and executing ability located in quickslot 5.

I think there has to be some sort of software that could do this for joysticks as well.

Strange, back in the 1990ies there were lots of space simulators and that was the time, when games were still on diskettes and using 386 and 486 CPUs

Go install and play one of those games now, then get back to us about the experience.

Was cool at the time, but so was pong...

Hmm... its been awhile but there was an effort to play this game on an xbox controller and it worked. I'll try to find the relevant info. Personally given all the key bindings I need I couldn't and wouldn't ever pursue that option. However, for a limited space flight scenario, I would consider it.

Let me check on the link and get back to you.

Edit: Here is the link. http://swtorpeeps.blogspot.com/2011/12/playing-mmo-with-controller-are-you.html

There is a lot of useful info here and if you are inclined to use a controller. I don't see why it wouldn't work for space combat. In fact... it may be a better option than a Joystick IMO.

Edited by Rafaman

2) Eventual implementation of PVE features. Would be nice to see some kind of PVE element come down the road that uses this setup, even if it is just dailies or some kind of single mission workup.

I would suggest low poly single appearance models for players, and a single bar for abilities, using the same interface as the fighter. The might allow something like this to be added.

As a final comment, I think this feature could open the door for another option for on foot PVP. If the on foot suggestion is ever implemented and it proves popular it could open the door to a PVP alternative that would be far more appealing than what is in place at present.

I'd like to see some form of achievements/collections/loot system tied to a PvE update for GS. Given the structure of expansion I would assume dailies and instanced PvE would be how it's implemented, but I would definitely like to see some form of achievement or collection system in place.

Maybe that's because I'm so bitter about never ever looting a Black Sun Ace helmet despite destroying literally thousands of them :(

Driz

that's got to be a really really niche market.

It is, but there's a very serious market for realistic flight sims. I think Microsoft makes one with standard everything, but it made big waves in the flight sim community for having a SUPER realistic ground that practically mirrors google earth for realistic flights over your hometown or whatnot. It's a big deal for people who train for pilot licenses or amateur enthusiasts. Also terrorists, according to the FB

Just imagine a group of folks being able to fly in, in formation, to attack a target. I can see how something like that would be very fun to play.

But look at how hard it is to have people move where they're supposed to in a regular raid setting!.

Edited by ImpactHound