My current opinion of SWTOR(A tutorial for the noob)

Kialundi

Now before I go into this, I just want to establish a little background about myself and some of the MMOs or other games I have played and enjoyed: Warhammer, Aion, AVA, Combat Arms, Runescape(for a few dreadful hours), Runes of Magic, Perfect World, LOTRO, AQW, Everquest, and ED are probably the most familiar to you all, as the gaming community. I hope now that you can understand that I have some experience with this, and would just not argue against me that I don't know what I'm talking about.

Now, if you looked at the title, you'd probably think, as I would, that this is just some other user ranting. It isn't just a voicing of a complaint, it's also an opinion in general. I liked several facets of SWTOR, and hated others! It's a fact of life. But, in this case, I just feel that it was....I don't know....disappointing in a few areas, and I just wanted to make this to alert the GM"s if they haven't been already.

A few things that I just wanted to bring to light. First and foremost, I like this game. I do, really. Very much. However, there are problems that just have to be exposed that really make me angry. Probably a common one: Lousy customer service. And that's a HUGE understatement, if I can say so myself. I was logging onto the website and it would ask me a security question. I had forgotten it, so I thought to myself "Okay, I'll refresh, and it'll have another question for me, so I can log in and change the first one." Nope, same one every time. So, I called Customer Support. Would you all like to know how long it took? TWO HOURS. That's CRAZY for a game. NO, I do NOT want to hear how "My call is very important to you all. " That's a lie. The guy finally got on and so, and at least he was friendly enough. Anyways, how can it even take two hours for my call to get off hold? No! Just....no. Either TOR is understaffed(which I highly doubt) or that many other people call there at the same time(also doubted).

Enough of calling stuff. Let's talk for a minute about sending in tickets.

I have a 50 PT right now, and I was looking at legacy stuff. I, along with many other unfortunate users, accidentally bought Speeder Piloting I. I sent in a ticket, and they said that no, they couldn't refund me, for whatever reason. That's a lie. They could have just gotten online and mailed me the funds necessary. Come on! That's that simple! I said as much in a second ticket. They replied that they would(and did) refund me. I never noticed that they refunded me. I never received any money from them. None. Just the mail ingame saying that they did.

*sigh* Enough of Customer Service, let's move on to the actual game.

I will say that I have found, through playing many characters(just the PT is my main), two tracks to getting to 50.

1. Getting to the fleet and excessively PVPing (which gets shockingly repetitive after a while) only pausing to do class quests. You get your gear and stuff from the GTN, the Greedy Trade Network.

2. You do EVERY SINGLE POSSIBLE QUEST(with the exception of some heroic 4's). You will find everything you need on those worlds, although you will generally fall behind the quest level by one or two, causing you to(gasp) grind your way.

If you simply just want the class quests and use the Greedy Trade Network(more on that later), that won't work out. I tried that, and wound up battling level 14's as a level 8. Not good. I had to start over completely.

This needs to be changed, and fast.

Next, the Galactic Trade Network.

I really feel that there shouldn't be a limit to what your auctions should be. The only way my 50 makes money is by selling rank 5 companion gifts on the GTN for the list price. It's a long and hard job, only bringing anywhere from 2-4K per auction.

Not to mention that other users on the GTN are evil little things. I was using my 22 Marauder today, and saw a lvl 20 chest guard for 75K. NO!

To sum this up, the GTN should have no limits as to the amount of auctions one should be able to use. I doubt this will ever happen, however.

Now, let's move on to PVP. More Specifically, the Open Areas.

The open areas are barren of other-sided people, the only one I found was on Tatooine, where I was abused by a 50 trooper. Go figure.

Now, WZ PVP.

It's alright actually! I consider Warhammer "The Father of MMO PVP." But this is a pretty decent job actually. Nice going. However, for any new people, I suggest not touching PVP until you're around level 20. Otherwise, you're just fodder for the 30+ people. I rolled a Sorc, and went to PVP as level 12. Before I knew it, three 40 knights surrounded me, flipping and slashing everywhere, sensing rightly that I was an easy kill. Yup.

To sum up, there's nothing that can really be done, but maybe make it a bit more evenly matched against similar levels?

Now, Let's discuss the community.

Yeah, NEVER ASK ANY CLASS SPECIALIZATION QUESTIONS ON THE FLEET. THOU SHALT NOT. The community across multiple servers will bash you into the ground. I even learned a few new words for my vocabulary. But seriously, if you want people calling you names that, if I wrote them in here, would get me banned from the game permanently, don't ask anything on any fleet. I have seen people bashed to tears. This possibly the worst community next to Battlefield Heroes.

Also, THOU SHALT NOT BE A LEVEL 10-15 ON THINE WZ's!

You remember that Sorc from earlier? I logged in to a WZ, and the first things I heard were just groans and complaints from teammates about how I should leave and I was worse than useless and such. But hey, I don't really mind guard duty myself.

To sum up, don't speak or do WZ's until you're through with Coruscaunt/Kaas.

Now, you say, I am simply on a bad server, and should transfer. So let's talk briefly about Character Transfer.

I personally am in favor of Character transfer. Mhm. I took advantage of it when it was first up, and shifted my characters to a PVP server, as I tend to enjoy PVP myself(If you'll remember that I mentioned that I played Warhammer up there, you'll understand why I like PVP).

Unfortunately, it's not up anymore, and they have given no reasons for this that I have found. My friends from Europe/other parts of America would like to transfer to my server or I to them(we haven't decided) so we can play together without starting over.

To sum up, PLEASE BRING BACK CHARACTER TRANSFER! Thank you.

Let's talk about Specific Characters.

I do have to give props to SWTOR for different storylines. They make you care for at least some of your companions. Good job there SWTOR!

Let's finally move on to the Subscription/Cartel Market. I will not delve too deep, and just give my opinion on this.

It is a cash grab. End of story.

I think that TOR should only be a F2P, with people that were subscribers before it went F2P and people who bought collector's edition and such getting vastly more Cartel Coins than F2P freeloaders.

The idea that I have to PAY for things like Unify colors and More than 2 quickbars(May be mistaken on the amount) and having more than two characters is absurd. Come on, really?

I personally do not like the Cartel market, but I see that it's very popular, so I won't really complain about it. If you all want a P2W, go for it.

OVERALL I like this game in small amounts. 7/10. Yay. Go nuts and Merry Christmas!

Edited by Kialundi
Further Information

heh you could probably get away with saying those words you learned in fleet from the rude community. I have 240 tickets that I have opened in the last 2 months concerning players insulting, harrassing, bullying, using profanity, being racist, and using hate speech. As far as I can tell bioware has done nothing eventhough they have closed a majority of my tickets. The sad thing is there are multiple tickets for the same people repeating the offenses. It's gotten so bad that I have to rotate my ignore list since my list is full at 128 players and that the same people will begin bullying me from the moment I log on until the moment I log out and that bioware has still done nothing. They are literally bullying me off the game and anyone else who asks them politely to obey the rules of conduct in public channels and Bioware does absolutely nothing about it. Apparently they are too afraid to punish actual offenders to preserve subscription numbers while the loyal customers who obey the rules are bullied until they quit the game.

Shame on you bioware.

I wholeheartedly agree with you about not PvP'ing until level 20. I don't consider myself an elitist (okay, maybe a little bit), but nothing pisses me off more than being paired with someone who hasn't even chosen their advanced class yet. People under level 20 are generally very easy to kill as well. My last match I had a 1v1 versus a level 12 scoundrel, and as a level 34 Operative, he didn't even get me under 80% health. If you're under 20 and a healer, it doesn't bother me as much, but generally most classes require the level 20 skill to be at least somewhat effective.

Actually they are VERY understaffed, which had been well documented.

After I read your post I lol'd at your 'I'm experienced so hear me' stuff. Your arguments lack depth and most of the issues aren't that important. Especially compared to this games real issues that need to be addressed.

Edited by ObiJuanShenobi

Actually they are VERY understaffed, which had been well documented.

After I read your post I lol'd at your 'I'm experienced so hear me' stuff. Your arguments lack depth and most of the issues aren't that important. Especially compared to this games real issues that need to be addressed.

Hmmm, I've called Customer Service 4 times in the last 3 months and have never sat on hold more than 10 minutes before getting to talk with someone. Granted one time I had to threaten the guy that I was just going to call my Credit Card company and report them for fraud in charging me for a 2 purchases I never made (Long Story) but their reply, we cant refund you because whoever did buy them clicked complete purchase, so we're not responsible for any errors that happened.

whoa who are you to tutor noobs?

this is just another whine post.

you complain about a lvl 20 gear costing 20k? its coz its violet you can get the blue one cheaply and good enough. even greens can do the job.

complaining also about the fleet comments? really? if you need to ask something join a good guild and ask there.

pvp repetitive? what structured pvp isnt?

btw, my lvl 14 powertech got most medals and got unbeatable easily. just learn the proper positioning and do the objectives. I hardly see anyone complains about lowbies who knows how to play,

Edited by supremogamer

You made 1 mistake in your post:

2. You do EVERY SINGLE POSSIBLE QUEST(with the exception of some heroic 4's). You will find everything you need on those worlds, although you will generally fall behind the quest level by one or two, causing you to(gasp) grind your way.

I didn't grind with my main and hit level 50 on Voss. I didn't do Space Missions or PvP or Flashpoints (except solo) until I hit 50. All I did was do every planet mission that wasn't a Heroic. I hit 50 doing the Voss bonus series and hadn't even stepped foot on Corellia yet. So I'm thinking you're missing some of the missions but thinking you got them all.

The Nar Shaddaa, Alderaan and Hoth bonus series are somewhat out of the way. It's possible you missed them and thought that they didn't exist. Rest assured, every planet aside from Tython, Ord Mantell, Korriban, Hutta, Coruscant, Dromund Kaas, Corellia and Illum has a bonus series.

Edited by AshlaBoga

It sounds to me like you're in a bad server. My server is not like that at all, and i myself help nobies whenever i can, including fleet chat.

The only thing that happens to lvl 10-15 is people feeling sorry for them cause they will die alot. Theres no trash talk.

OP, your so called "experience" is belied by the poorly thought out complaints; with the exception of the CS complaint, the rest is just off.

heh you could probably get away with saying those words you learned in fleet from the rude community. I have 240 tickets that I have opened in the last 2 months concerning players insulting, harrassing, bullying, using profanity, being racist, and using hate speech. As far as I can tell bioware has done nothing eventhough they have closed a majority of my tickets. The sad thing is there are multiple tickets for the same people repeating the offenses. It's gotten so bad that I have to rotate my ignore list since my list is full at 128 players and that the same people will begin bullying me from the moment I log on until the moment I log out and that bioware has still done nothing. They are literally bullying me off the game and anyone else who asks them politely to obey the rules of conduct in public channels and Bioware does absolutely nothing about it. Apparently they are too afraid to punish actual offenders to preserve subscription numbers while the loyal customers who obey the rules are bullied until they quit the game.

Shame on you bioware.

If you have 128 people on ignore AND have to constantly rotate through it to manage all your ignores AND have actually filed 240 player reports AND are "literally" bullied from the time you log on until the time you log off -- maybe it's YOU. Just sayin.

Edited by Likomg

If you have 128 people on ignore AND have to constantly rotate through it to manage all your ignores AND have actually filed 240 player reports AND are "literally" bullied from the time you log on until the time you log off -- maybe it's YOU. Just sayin.

Have to agree the numbers do paint that scenario. Maybe an oversensitive person?

After looking at all of your replies, the good and the bad, a few stood out that I would like to address.

For the one attacking the "Hear me I'm experienced" Well...you can't really argue against that. I'm just establishing that I am not some new person to an MMO or an MMORPG.

For the one saying that my arguments lack value and depth, please further explain that by giving specific examples in my previous text, so I can change or modify those to have the value and depth requested. I am more than willing to discuss these.

I just put up my opinion to let everyone else know what they're getting into if they so choose to play this game.

You made 1 mistake in your post:

I didn't grind with my main and hit level 50 on Voss. I didn't do Space Missions or PvP or Flashpoints (except solo) until I hit 50. All I did was do every planet mission that wasn't a Heroic. I hit 50 doing the Voss bonus series and hadn't even stepped foot on Corellia yet. So I'm thinking you're missing some of the missions but thinking you got them all.

The Nar Shaddaa, Alderaan and Hoth bonus series are somewhat out of the way. It's possible you missed them and thought that they didn't exist. Rest assured, every planet aside from Tython, Ord Mantell, Korriban, Hutta, Coruscant, Dromund Kaas, Corellia and Illum has a bonus series.

I would just address this one particularly.

I formed my conclusion when I was playing my PT through to 50. I do know that the bonus series exists on all the planets you named above. I will do a little more research next time to see about the Hoth/Nar Shaddaa, and Alderaan bonus series in particular. I am simply stating that when I was playing through, I generally found myself lagging by one or two levels behind the quest level. Maybe the class missions don't give enough compared to the others, I do not know, nor would I presume to know.

Lastly, I really don't care if you all think my arguments are unfounded. I simply do not care about your opinion on my experience. I am simply putting up my point of view. I don't really care about how you choose to take it.

And to the part about the possibility of me simply being on a bad server, I will edit in a little about how I feel about Character Transfer.

OP, your so called "experience" is belied by the poorly thought out complaints; with the exception of the CS complaint, the rest is just off.

classy...blame the victim. The sad thing is bioware lets it happen instead of enforcing their own rules.

Have to agree the numbers do paint that scenario. Maybe an oversensitive person?

Or maybe its the fact that people on the internet think they can say and do whatever they want without obeying the rules of conduct they agreed to when they began playing. I'm sure it could have been controlled a lot sooner if bioware customer service would do their job and enforce the rules. It's terrible logging onto 15 whispers calling me names, insulting me, hate speech, and racism...everytime. Then general chat or any public chat channel...they do not stop and more jump on board because they see bioware not doing anything to stop it. If bioware would step up and enforce their rules Im sure the behaviour would stop pretty darned fast and I could play the game in peace.

classy...blame the victim. The sad thing is bioware lets it happen instead of enforcing their own rules.

Here's the thing, Ansalem: if the numbers and issues you mention are accurate, then you *must* accept that you have done or are doing something to cause or encourage it. I have never met anyone who has had an issue like this, particularly to the degree you claim to. Judging by your response to myself and Nem, I get the impression that you come across as the morality / rules police, which *will* cause you to be singled out by those whom you deem to be in need of your "salvation" in public chat -- which means you brought this on yourself.

When offended in public chat, rather than joining in and reprimanding everyone for their behavior, just report and ignore without public or private messages to the person in question. All you are doing by being so publicly self-righteous is causing them to troll you relentlessly as soon as they see you log on, due to them knowing it gets to you.

I personally would not bother reporting anyone over crap such as this, as ignoring it quietly makes it disappear -- they feed on your reaction, as you have apparently found out. It does not make you a victim of them so much as a victim of your own inability to control your own response in return. Not saying they are right or that it is ok, but you have to be more aware of how your own reaction to these people causes your current problems.

Edited by Likomg

Two things I found odd, as a casual player. First I have always found that I get and give friendly responses to any questions. At worst I'm ignored but I assume this is because people are playing the game and busy! Recently with the increased populations I have found interaction with other players better than ever and enjoyed quite a few ad hoc groups and FP pugs.

The second point was about making cash, I have a level 50 BH and find it easy to make 50k in a few hours play. Just one good FP or a few Black hole missions seems tobe enough. Added selling excess crafting materials and pickups on the GTN and the credits really roll in. The thought of selling companion gifts for a few k a time doesn't seem worth the effort.

Or maybe its the fact that people on the internet think they can say and do whatever they want without obeying the rules of conduct they agreed to when they began playing. I'm sure it could have been controlled a lot sooner if bioware customer service would do their job and enforce the rules. It's terrible logging onto 15 whispers calling me names, insulting me, hate speech, and racism...everytime. Then general chat or any public chat channel...they do not stop and more jump on board because they see bioware not doing anything to stop it. If bioware would step up and enforce their rules Im sure the behaviour would stop pretty darned fast and I could play the game in peace.

Listen man and no I am not attacking you just offering some advice. I have read almost four replies of yours speaking about the exact same thing. Yes, we get that you are upset, that you feel you are being bullied we all understand that. But to hijack different threads that deal with different things while bringing in your experiences does not do well for you. Again let me reiterate I understand you have been having a bad time but please if you want to discuss YOUR experiences make your own thread and not hijack others.

If you have 15 people whispering you every time you log, you must be doing something to piss of people lol.

None has ever whispered me with insults.

Weren't you that guy who posted "did they drop epic loot?" in the Sandy Hook thread?

I would just address this one particularly.

I formed my conclusion when I was playing my PT through to 50. I do know that the bonus series exists on all the planets you named above. I will do a little more research next time to see about the Hoth/Nar Shaddaa, and Alderaan bonus series in particular. I am simply stating that when I was playing through, I generally found myself lagging by one or two levels behind the quest level. Maybe the class missions don't give enough compared to the others, I do not know, nor would I presume to know.

The poster is right. On one of my characters I missed a lot of the bonus series, and experienced what you described. On my other characters, I didn't miss the bonus series. And have leveled smoothly with no lagging and no facing overpowered enemies because I'm moving too fast through the content.

Heck, my latest character does flashpoints (I made a tank so they pop almost instantly for me), and will group up for heroics and it's even more pronounced as I'm now outlevelling the content.

So if you skip group-centric content, and find you're lagging behind, you really need to take advantage of the bonus series. It evens things out a lot. My first time through, I missed on that and felt the exact same crunch you described.

Now before I go into this, I just want to establish a little background about myself and some of the MMOs or other games I have played and enjoyed: Warhammer, Aion, AVA, Combat Arms, Runescape(for a few dreadful hours), Runes of Magic, Perfect World, LOTRO, AQW, and ED are probably the most familiar to you all, as the gaming community. I hope now that you can understand that I have some experience with this, and would just not argue against me that I don't know what I'm talking about.

LOL and you think those titles pass you as experienced?

*snickers*

*Shakes head*

*wanders away to look for a post from someone with actual MMORPG experience*

LOL and you think those titles pass you as experienced?

*snickers*

*Shakes head*

*wanders away to look for a post from someone with actual MMORPG experience*

I am simply establishing that I am not new to this sort of thing. Please, enlighten me as to what other MMORPGs you have in mind.

And for all those out there that are wondering why I haven't put up WoW on my list, I will explain.

WoW ripped off Warhammer in a HUGE way, as Warhammer came out in 1985, before Blizzard was a company.

It's still going strong.

You can look at countless videos discussing Content, PVP, RVR, and so forth on Youtube if you like, and how Warhammer beats WoW every time with the sole exception of the amount of players.