Asus laptop/Desktop gaming rig, for future SWTOR.

CKNORTH

My i7 won't DL windows 10 so in the near future, I will be either choosing a desktop or laptop, I understand most of it will be preference, however does anyone own any of the Asus laptops? How are they? Last pure gaming rig was a old Dell laptop that weighs like 30lbs, had nothing but problems for four years. So curious as to how they are now. Also I don't build my rigs, their is a gaming shop in town that has prebuilt ones. It's just the way I roll! ;) Edited by CKNORTH

I have an ASUS laptop I think we bought 4-5 years ago, still going like a champ, plays SWTOR on low-medium okay. It has been a great laptop, longest I've had one last. My wife used it pretty regular after I stopped gaming on it for photo editing. It does run a bit hot but it was a beast when we got it, we just bought one of those coolers you sit it on and hook into usb, which helped.

If you have other reasons to want a laptop I would go Asus personally, although Dell would be my 2nd choice. I wouldn't get an HP or Acer personally...loathe my work HP computer (forced me to it from a Dell I loved) and me, my dad and my step-brother all got an Acer years ago and all three of them started having issues right after the warranty ran out. I've also had monitors made by Acer go out faster than other brands like Asus.

I am an Asus fanboy at this point.

Edited by CabelHarn

I very strongly recommend going desktop. They are better across the board. More reliable, last longer, less problems, more upgradeable, WAY faster, cheaper. In fact, the difference is so significant, you can get a better desktop AND a cheap laptop for less than a gaming laptop. Only get a gaming laptop if you're really sure you need it to be a laptop. ( Example: I bought a gaming laptop that I took to Iraq with me when I deployed in '06. )

My i7 won't DL windows 10 so in the near future, I will be either choosing a desktop or laptop, I understand most of it will be preference, however does anyone own any of the Asus laptops? How are they? Last pure gaming rig was a old Dell laptop that weighs like 30lbs, had nothing but problems for four years. So curious as to how they are now. Also I don't build my rigs, their is a gaming shop in town that has prebuilt ones. It's just the way I roll! ;)

I have one that I have had for about two years, and it has been fantastic (no issues at all). Asus really does gaming laptops well, and honestly they are pretty much the best bang for the gaming buck (I would include MSI with that statement) when it comes to laptops.

I very strongly recommend going desktop. They are better across the board. More reliable, last longer, less problems, more upgradeable, WAY faster, cheaper. In fact, the difference is so significant, you can get a better desktop AND a cheap laptop for less than a gaming laptop. Only get a gaming laptop if you're really sure you need it to be a laptop. ( Example: I bought a gaming laptop that I took to Iraq with me when I deployed in '06. )

That is one thing I am thinking of will be desktop would have more bang for the buck, but laptop appeals to me in the sense that there is way less wires hanging at my feet, heh also if I feel like going outside or upstares it would just be easier. I plan to upgrade some time in February, which I am hoping after the new year the i7's will drop a lot lower. But stability in my i7 makes me want to actually see how the Asus i5 handle as well... So all in all I am hoping by that time "most" windows ten bugs and with the expac coming out in October the tech software will have stabilized quite a bit, if that is even an issue. But all I know is my I7 I have now I bought just after launch specifically for SWTOR and I Still have issues. But then again it's not built for gaming specifically.... :(

Edited by CKNORTH

i have an asus laptop, i got i around 3-4 years ago. it still runs new games on max graphics. it runs swtor perfectly fine, i have never had any problems with it. only thing was one time the hard drive went out but it happens and its a cheap fix. i'm pretty surprised how long it has lasted without slowing down. i would definitely recommend it. there are some better laptops but not by much, alienware is overpriced. i personally would rather build a computer but if you need portability id say go for it, i don't regret buying an asus at all.

What do you mean your i7 won't download Windows 10? I assume you are talking about i7 the processor (don't know anything else called i7).

I personally have desktop for most of my gaming , but also Asus G551, and it is pretty great notebook for work and most games (as it should be, it set me back a solid ton of cash).

However, if you do not need to have mobile gaming station, go with a desktop.

You will get most for your money by picking individual parts and either assemble them yourself, or have them assembled (most PC stores offer that service for some extra cash). Head over to https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/ tell people what you want, what is your price range, etc, and let them suggest parts for you. Then find a store that offers to build your computer from parts, and order it there.

Woot thanks Ruskaeth for the link! Windows 10 is DL! Hope everything works well! You will have saved me from getting a new PC for a while heh!! Anyhow I might still get a laptop for SWTOR for my second account, and for having something to use SW if I go anywhere, but I won't be in a huge rush to get one :) Edited by CKNORTH