4k resolution makes "skinny" character

DarthVengeant

I have recently hooked my PC up to my 4K Samsung TV. I finally got around to re-installing SWTOR.

Upon loading up the game I set the graphics to 3840 x 2160, as my desktop is set.

Then, when it set, my character looked slightly "skinny" or stretched thin. I selected my main character and loaded up the game hoping it would change or update. Nope. Still looks slightly skinny as it did in the main screen. I have messed with .ini file and doesn't help.

I loaded up Guild Wars 2, and everything was fine in 4k 3840 x 2160. No skinny or stretched. So, it is just SWTOR.

I have Win 7 with a GeForce GTX 960.

Any ideas?

here is my game settings:

[Renderer]

AllowColorRemapping = false

AntiAliasingLevel = 4

AtlasQuality = 0

Buckets = 4

D3DFullScreen = true

GraphicsDeviceId = 5121

GraphicsQuality = 6

Height = 2160

MeshLODQuality = 1

NativeHeight = 1080

NativeWidth = 1920

PerfTestFlags = 38780672

RefreshRate = 60

ShadowMapNumCascades = 8

ShadowMapResolution = 1152

SpeedTreeDistanceScale = 1.25

TextureAnisotropy = 16

Width = 3840

VerticalSyncState = true

WindowX = 0

WindowY = 0

CodeVersionChanged = false

LastCodeVersionRun = 1

NewBucket = 4

DYDDrawDistancePreset = 3

ShaderSet = 9

TextureQuality = 0

AllowDepthOfField = true

doBlobShadows = true

doShadows = true

EnableBloom = true

PlantDensity = 100

FullScreen = true

Edited by DarthVengeant

I have recently hooked my PC up to my 4K Samsung TV. I finally got around to re-installing SWTOR.

Upon loading up the game I set the graphics to 3840 x 2160, as my desktop is set.

Then, when it set, my character looked slightly "skinny" or stretched thin. I selected my main character and loaded up the game hoping it would change or update. Nope. Still looks slightly skinny as it did in the main screen. I have messed with .ini file and doesn't help.

I loaded up Guild Wars 2, and everything was fine in 4k 3840 x 2160. No skinny or stretched. So, it is just SWTOR.

Any ideas?

[Renderer]

AntiAliasingLevel = 4

AtlasQuality = 0

Buckets = 4

D3DFullScreen = true

GraphicsDeviceId = 5121

GraphicsQuality = 6

Height = 2160

MeshLODQuality = 1

NativeHeight = 1080

NativeWidth = 1920

PerfTestFlags = 38780672

RefreshRate = 60

ShadowMapNumCascades = 8

TextureAnisotropy = 16

Width = 3840

VerticalSyncState = true

WindowX = 0

WindowY = 0

LastCodeVersionRun = 1

NewBucket = 4

ShaderSet = 9

TextureQuality = 0

AllowDepthOfField = true

doBlobShadows = true

doShadows = true

EnableBloom = true

PlantDensity = 100

FullScreen = true

This game uses nearly 10 years old engine and you using a 4K screen in this game,

so whats your point?

This game uses nearly 10 years old engine and you using a 4K screen in this game,

so whats your point?

Google search presented PLENTY of people playing the game in 4K.

Either help answer the question, or move on. Your reply is pointless. Do NOT turn this thread into argument nonsense. Stay on task or move on. Thanx.

Edited by DarthVengeant

Any ideas?

I have no specific answer to this issue.

What "mode" are you playing in? (Fullscreen, windowed, or fullscreen windowed?) The first thing that comes to mind would be that your "window" is actually taller than the screen (if possible) and maybe just needs to be re-adjusted in some way. (In fullscreen windowed, I don't think the "fullscreen", "minimize" and/or "X" buttons are accessible, though)

P.S. Yes, it is annoying when someone "quotes" the ENTIRE original post, immediately after the original post, and then only gives a useless comment. ;)

Edited by JediQuaker

I have no specific answer to this issue.

What "mode" are you playing in? (Fullscreen, windowed, or fullscreen windowed?) The first thing that comes to mind would be that your "window" is actually taller than the screen (if possible) and maybe just needs to be re-adjusted in some way. (In fullscreen windowed, I don't think the "fullscreen", "minimize" and/or "X" buttons are accessible, though)

P.S. Yes, it is annoying when someone "quotes" the ENTIRE original post, immediately after the original post, and then only gives a useless comment. ;)

I already tried all 3 versions, still the same in all of them.

You can try and set the below from your client_setting file to the correct resolution and see if any change

NativeHeight = 1080

NativeWidth = 1920

otherwise try a different connection method to the tv if it is possible that may resolve this issue, failing that see http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=947396 that may help too.

I am connected the only way my TV has, high quality HMDI. No other types of connection. If I used something lower then the quality would be lost.

I also don't have a secondary 4K display to do that guys trick. When I use a 1080 secondary display, things wont work.

Once again, it is only this game. everything else works just fine on my PC with 4K.

Edited by DarthVengeant

I don't remember having to do anything "weird" to get my display to correctly show in 4k on my Samsung tv.

Obviously I had to set the graphics settings in the game menus to switch it over, but it displayed correctly.

Can you take some pictures of the settings you're using and post them?

• 1 month later...

Not sure what video card you have but on most there is an option to "Override the scaling mode set by games and programs" (NVIDIA) or "Maintain / Override Aspect Ratio" (INTEL)...

Look through your video card control pannel for something like that....

Edited by denavin

If using Nvidia see

this was posted recently

Open Nvidia Graphic Settings (from your desktop, right click)

Go to adjust 3D Settings

On DSR - choose 2.0.

This should be easier then using custom resolution utility for an override

Edited by OwenBrooks

Hmm... Do you have a wide screen 4k? Standard 4K is 3840 x 2160, but sometimes it is also 4096 x 2160. Since it seems like a very slight stretch, do you think that could be it?

Also, have you played around with your aspect ratio?

3840 x 2160 is my 4K TV. If I set the game to 4096 x 2160 it is no longer "skinny", but then the game goes off my TV screen and I can't see about 10% of the image anymore. Which means the Options section is off my screen and I can't access it anymore to set the resolution back to 3840 x 2160 so I can see and access everything.

Not sure what video card you have but on most there is an option to "Override the scaling mode set by games and programs" (NVIDIA) or "Maintain / Override Aspect Ratio" (INTEL)...

Look through your video card control pannel for something like that....

"Override the scaling mode set by games and programs" is already checked

If using Nvidia see
this was posted recently

Open Nvidia Graphic Settings (from your desktop, right click)

Go to adjust 3D Settings

On DSR - choose 2.0.

This should be easier then using custom resolution utility for an override

I just tried that, and it did nothing.

Edited by DarthVengeant

Garza: [yelling] Lieutenant! Come in here at once!

Me: Yes sir?

Garza: [pointing to 4k wall monitor] I've been observing myself, and I seem to look pretty good. What do you think, does it make me look thinner? I think it shows off my true self.

Me: [thinking I shouldn't mention Garza Butt phenom] Yes sir! Much thinner sir!

Garza: Thank you Lieutenant. That is all.

That's really strange. I have the same resolution and they don't look like that and I am using full screen too. I know I had to tinker with the client to get my screen to stop changing to 800 x 600. Maybe you could try that? I found it here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=903868&page=2

1. Press Windows Key + R.

2. Enter %localappdata%\swtor\swtor\settings and press OK to open that location.

3. Open the client_settings.ini and change the values to: Fullscreen = false. D3DFullScreen = false. RefreshRate = 60.

4. Save the changes and try running the game again.

Any ideas?

[Renderer]

AntiAliasingLevel = 4

AtlasQuality = 0

Buckets = 4

D3DFullScreen = true

GraphicsDeviceId = 5121

GraphicsQuality = 6

Height = 2160

MeshLODQuality = 1

NativeHeight = 1080

NativeWidth = 1920

PerfTestFlags = 38780672

RefreshRate = 60

ShadowMapNumCascades = 8

TextureAnisotropy = 16

Width = 3840

VerticalSyncState = true

WindowX = 0

WindowY = 0

LastCodeVersionRun = 1

NewBucket = 4

ShaderSet = 9

TextureQuality = 0

AllowDepthOfField = true

doBlobShadows = true

doShadows = true

EnableBloom = true

PlantDensity = 100

FullScreen = true

why the hell are u using 4K for SWTOR on a GTX 960? that card is super old and weak to run this game at 4k Op is losing it.:confused::confused::confused:

why the hell are u using 4K for SWTOR on a GTX 960? that card is super old and weak to run this game at 4k Op is losing it.:confused::confused::confused:

The GTX 960 is WAY beyond capable of running any game I throw at it. I run Guild Wars 2 in 4K just fine. This game is 10 years old. I don't see what YOUR issue is. Calling it a "super old" card is a lie and ridiculous. It's only 3 yrs old, the game is 10. Not everyone cares about running their games on 500+ dollars video cards. It's a waste of money. I only play MMO's and older games on my PC. They all run maxed just fine. I am not one of the "got to have 10090987 frames per second and 8k" blah blah.

That's really strange. I have the same resolution and they don't look like that and I am using full screen too. I know I had to tinker with the client to get my screen to stop changing to 800 x 600. Maybe you could try that? I found it here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=903868&page=2

1. Press Windows Key + R.

2. Enter %localappdata%\swtor\swtor\settings and press OK to open that location.

3. Open the client_settings.ini and change the values to: Fullscreen = false. D3DFullScreen = false. RefreshRate = 60.

4. Save the changes and try running the game again.

I tried that. Two of the settings were already done. That did nothing with the stretch, it only turned my game into windowed mode.

I downloaded that program and frankly don't know how to use it. Removing the 4096x2160 resolution (as mentioned in the thread) is not possible since it is not listed. I also don't want to screw my PC up, since it clearly mentions "If the display does not return after 15 seconds, press F8 for recovery mode. This will temporarily unload all the EDID overrides without deleting them. Restart the driver again to reload any changes. Set the resolution in the Windows display settings. To set the refresh rate".

--------------

UPDATE

So, I set my game to 4096x2160, which means about 5% of the screen is not displayed on the left side. It makes my character normal, not skinny, but it also somehow resets my game client color settings and everything is WAY too vibrant. If I set it back to 3840 x 2160 then the game looks like it is supposed to color wise. But, again, my character is skinny again.

I just can't get this fixed.

Edited by DarthVengeant

UPDATE

So, I set my game to 4096x2160, which means about 5% of the screen is not displayed on the left side. It makes my character normal, not skinny, but it also somehow resets my game client color settings and everything is WAY too vibrant. If I set it back to 3840 x 2160 then the game looks like it is supposed to color wise. But, again, my character is skinny again.

I just can't get this fixed.

When you say you lose 5% of the left side, do you think this is an "Overscan" setting? See this article from CNET describing it: https://www.cnet.com/news/overscan-youre-not-seeing-the-whole-picture-on-your-tv/. In other words, perhaps there is a setting on your TV that you can adjust.

Not sure about the vibrancy, but if you can figure out the overscan issue, from there you can mess around with brightness/gamma/contrast settings.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

The only way I have found to fix this is to go to Nvidia panel, then to adjust desktop size and position. enable desktop resizing on the "Size" tab and adjust your screen height to about half way on the slider. This will make your characters "normal" in SWToR but you will have the black bars on the top and bottom of your screen. Kind of like the old widescreen effect on standard TVs.

Other than that I have had zero luck in sorting this out on my 4k curve screen TV and I'm running a 1080 TI. Downside is that you have to change it back when not playing SWToR because every other game I have played doesn't have this problem.

When you say you lose 5% of the left side, do you think this is an "Overscan" setting? See this article from CNET describing it: https://www.cnet.com/news/overscan-youre-not-seeing-the-whole-picture-on-your-tv/. In other words, perhaps there is a setting on your TV that you can adjust.

Not sure about the vibrancy, but if you can figure out the overscan issue, from there you can mess around with brightness/gamma/contrast settings.

My 4K TV is 3840 x 2160, so the problem with setting the game to 4096x2160 is that is bigger than my screen. That is why the 5% loss of SWTOR's image on the left side. Setting the game to 4096x2160 is bigger than my TV screen.

As I read in another thread, it is the problem with the GAME, not our TV's. The game has a problem with 3840 x 2160 and still thinks it is 4096x2160, which is why the "skinny character.

The only way I have found to fix this is to go to Nvidia panel, then to adjust desktop size and position. enable desktop resizing on the "Size" tab and adjust your screen height to about half way on the slider. This will make your characters "normal" in SWToR but you will have the black bars on the top and bottom of your screen. Kind of like the old widescreen effect on standard TVs.

Other than that I have had zero luck in sorting this out on my 4k curve screen TV and I'm running a 1080 TI. Downside is that you have to change it back when not playing SWToR because every other game I have played doesn't have this problem.

I will give that a try. But, I hope setting it back each time is not a problem or screws anything up.

As I read in another thread, it is the problem with the GAME, not our TV's. The game has a problem with 3840 x 2160 and still thinks it is 4096x2160, which is why the "skinny character.

And yet on my 3840x2160 screen (admittedly not a TV, but that resolution nontheless(1)), the game thinks it is using 3840x2160, and operates normally.

So yes, it *is* your TV. The game supports 3840x2160 just fine. If the TV is declaring a resolution that's wider than its native resolution (but not correspondingly taller) *it* is buggy, not the game.

(1) Connected via DisplayPort, if that makes a difference.

• 3 months later...
And yet on my 3840x2160 screen (admittedly not a TV, but that resolution nontheless(1)), the game thinks it is using 3840x2160, and operates normally.

So yes, it *is* your TV. The game supports 3840x2160 just fine. If the TV is declaring a resolution that's wider than its native resolution (but not correspondingly taller) *it* is buggy, not the game.

(1) Connected via DisplayPort, if that makes a difference.

Display Port is a lower quality port. Most everyone uses HDMI these days. Furthermore, my 4K TV does not HAVE a "Display Port" because it is a high resolution 4K HDTV, not a monitor.

Btw, I have a fresh Windows 10 install with brand new Nvidia drivers. The game still does the same thing. My TV is fine, it is SWTOR that is the problem. How do I know? Because my others games do NOT have this problem. If it was my TV other games and Steam, etc would have this issue.

Edited by DarthVengeant

Display Port is a lower quality port. Most everyone uses HDMI these days. Furthermore, my 4K TV does not HAVE a "Display Port" because it is a high resolution 4K HDTV, not a monitor.

"DisplayPort" (one word), not "Display Port" (two words), which is a newer standard than HDMI, and capable of a *lot* more than HDMI can do.