Rise of the Hutt Cartel – Free to Subscribers Starting September 12th!

CourtneyWoods

Apparently you did not learn from your past mistakes Bioware. Many people will not have been around from this, and you conveniently deleted the original post from the source news article, but back in April of 2012 you decided to award a fraction of your player base for having a level 50 character, which in turn alienated and infuriated the remaining population. It is a shame that you did not learn from this, so I will spell it out for you: IT IS BAD BUSINESS TO REWARD A SMALL FRACTION OF YOUR PLAYERBASE, especially when this fraction does not include your most loyal customers. The players that purchased the expansion when it launched helped support your company and the work you did. If ANYONE deserves the most from this, it would be all customers who have purchased the expansion up until now.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If people would pause and take a minute to read and think, rather than just repeat what someone said on pages 1-15 then I wouldn't be repeating myself. Instead its the same discussion on every page leading nowhere, which is what will happen. People that bought it 6 months ago will get their title and they will cope.

Squawk

Or perhaps you're just refusing to accept that about 80% of the folks sounding off on this thread just vehemently disagree with you and your compadres and you refuse to accept it.

Squawk!!!

Why do you care if I'm getting something for free? Or is it that you care that someone is getting something you aren't/didn't get?

The fact that you don't see a problem with this speaks volumes about your own "I got mine at your expense-screw you" mindset. The analogy of taxpayer vs. takers/non-contributors is spot on correct.

i'll also pose the question of "if bioware gave everybody 1050 CC coins, what do the new purchases get to help offset their butt hurt?" (the butt hurt being that they didn't get to be lvl 55 for the last 5-6 months)

Ridiculous assertion. They could have subscribed, bought the expansion, and reached level 55 rather quickly like everybody else who did.

I’m happy for those getting it free, I do get why there doing it, but as someone who did pre-order I do feel irritated. It’s not so much the ten dollar, but I keep getting the feel they couldn’t care less about the customer who actual supports the game.

As for the title it just feels weak or cheap, how about a cool mount or a unique emote, or funny neat toy to use in game. Something to show you do care and appreciated those that did spend money in support of the game. Something that feels like you put a little effort into it. I think the game could really benefit form a loyalty program. I’ve seen them in many MMO and it an easy way to say thank you, for a customers continue loyalty to the game.

PS I do known I will be thinking very careful on pre ordering the next expansion, I'll be asking myself it it worth it or should I wait till it goes free.

Lots of people here don't seem to grasp how capitalism works. As a product ages the price drops, whistles and bells get added to it and at the end the remaining stock gets thrown out. What's next, people that buy a new car model at launch get to moan cos the same model is later being sold with huge comparative benefits cos the next model is right around the corner?

Not to mention the fact this CC "perk" is no perk. It's a bandage they hope will keep the people that bought the expansion in the last few weeks from exploding cos it's about to be free.

Christ do you lot have ZERO empathy? Put yourself in the shoes of someone that dinged 50 and bought rothc last week reading these news and then tell me again how wronged you got as a preorder guy that got half a year and preorder items for your 10$ compared to this newbie and his 10$. I'm all ears to hear the grave injustice and under appreciation bestowed upon thee.

It's not appreciation it's a "we're sorry we took your money for something we're giving away for free tomorrow". Something BW had to do if they had a shred of decency in them. And you're throwing a fit cos you're not getting the same. Seriously? SERIOUSLY?

well said sir i was afraid swtor was full of self entitled brats but there is a few out there who believe as i do no way in hell could i spend 10 dollars and get 5 months entertainment from it hell movie tickets are like 11 dollars where i am. if someone asked me to pay 10 dollars now and i get an expansion and in 6 months it will be free id say take my money ill get more than my moneys worth before it goes free!

Nice...I just bought it last week guess I'm getting 1k coins.

Also...really people really? You don't get the business reason to re- imburse folks within the last month of paying for a product going free vs folks who paid for it months and months ago? You people never did well in accounting or book keeping I'd wager. Does even the concept of depreciation mean anything to you? You already derived value from the product over months of use...you arguaby got your $10 of value. The new buyers are just getting a refund in the form of cartel coins since the product is free now. The concept is rather easy to grasp.

Also...really people really? You don't get the business reason to re- imburse folks within the last month of paying for a product going free vs folks who paid for it months and months ago? You people never did well in accounting or book keeping I'd wager. Does even the concept of depreciation mean anything to you? You already derived value from the product over months of use...you arguaby got your $10 of value. The new buyers are just getting a refund in the form of cartel coins since the product is free now. The concept is rather easy to grasp.

Im blaming this new generation of parents they coddle and give in to them while they are young so they expect everything handed to them. Im glad bioware has done this it will bring new and old players to the game i got more than my money worth from preording it if someone told me hey give me 10 dollars and for the next 5 months you get this but after 5 months it goes free for everyone id say take my money only a brain dead moron would say no to that lol.

I’m happy for those getting it free, I do get why there doing it, but as someone who did pre-order I do feel irritated. It’s not so much the ten dollar, but I keep getting the feel they couldn’t care less about the customer who actual supports the game.

As for the title it just feels weak or cheap, how about a cool mount or a unique emote, or funny neat toy to use in game. Something to show you do care and appreciated those that did spend money in support of the game. Something that feels like you put a little effort into it. I think the game could really benefit form a loyalty program. I’ve seen them in many MMO and it an easy way to say thank you, for a customers continue loyalty to the game.

PS I do known I will be thinking very careful on pre ordering the next expansion, I'll be asking myself it it worth it or should I wait till it goes free.

I've seen posts with your same theme and vibe in several other game forums over the years...my conclusion is the same each time. You aren't the supporters of the game don't fool yourself. You are selfish you are greedy you are no loyal fan. Your a loyal fan expecting hand outs and your arse to be kissed like you are king. The best thing for me ...I'm a preorder ce and release day player to but I'm down to earth and don't hold my hands out, so you can't say I don't get it or understand. I have played on release day for many games and pre- ordered...I've never had your attitude about it in 30 years.

You chose to play a game from day one...you chose to pre order it. That's it...business concluded. From your pre order you got the game first plus any items/ bonuses that came with preorder. The sense of entitlement you people feel you are due for eternity for a stinking pre order just blows logic right out of my head.

Edited by Shirx

Yeah, you're right, and there are a lot of us here on this thread who are founding members and stuck with the game through the dark months of 2012, when it was ridden with bugs and lag, its original business model was failing, its server population was plummeting, and it appeared for all intents and purposes that it was going under. Remember all the broken promises about immediate new content, the sudden lay-offs at Bioware, and then the company going silent for almost six months while we kept it going? That's why this CC/Johnnie-Come Lately issue is so grating to us---pound wise but penny foolish.

The 1k CC for recent purchases has nothing to do with "appreciation". It's to placate players that bought the expansion just before it went free.

Everyone bought the expansion before it went free, RoTHC has only been out since April and already they are giving it away free to subs. I would understand your argument if the expansion was a few years old but 5 months??

It's quite literally the expansion that went from paid to free in less than 12 parsecs..

I've seen posts with your same theme and vibe in several other game forums over the years...my conclusion is the same each time. You aren't the supporters of the game don't fool yourself. You are selfish you are greedy you are no loyal fan. Your a loyal fan expecting hand outs and your arse to be kissed like you are king. The best thing for me ...I'm a preorder ce and release day player to but I'm down to earth and don't hold my hands out, so you can't say I don't get it or understand. I have played on release day for many games and pre- ordered...I've never had your attitude about it in 30 years.

You chose to play a game from day one...you chose to pre order it. That's it...business concluded. From your pre order you got the game first plus any items/ bonuses that came with preorder. The sense of entitlement you people feel you are due for eternity for a stinking pre order just blows logic right out of my head.

So she's selfish, greedy, and not a loyal fan of the game even though she has spent a lot of money on it through the monthly subscriptions and by actually purchasing the expansion????

That makes NO sense whatsoever.

Yeah, you're right, and there are a lot of us here on this thread who are founding members and stuck with the game through the dark months of 2012, when it was ridden with bugs and lag, its original business model was failing, its server population was plummeting, and it appeared for all intents and purposes that it was going under. Remember all the broken promises about immediate new content, the sudden lay-offs at Bioware, and then the company going silent for almost six months while we kept it going? That's why this CC/Johnnie-Come Lately issue is so grating to us---pound wise but penny foolish.

Oh boo hoo you speak of a computer game like someone surviving on the streets living daily with chronic pain or behind a warzone. Can we pile on the drama or exaggeration any further I mean is that even possible after your post. Get over yourself.

I could care less about not getting the CC because I bought it too soon - what I'd like to know is:

Since I actually paid money for it back in April, do I get to keep access when I drop down to preferred status or am I going to have the expansion taken away from me if I do so?

Oh boo hoo you speak of a computer game like someone surviving on the streets living daily with chronic pain or behind a warzone. Can we pile on the drama or exaggeration any further I mean is that even possible after your post. Get over yourself.

You get over yourself, newbie/taker. You don't know what you're talking about. So you might want to stifle your ignorance.

Wow, insulting the people who kept a game you obviously enjoy and care enough to comment on going, classy...

Makes perfect sense to me, they just bought it and its now free. Usually things come with money back guarantees for short periods. You had the expansion for 6 months and could get a head start on everything. None of this really affects you if you bought it 6 months ago. The only thing you'll see is more people that are level 55 and you can play with. Is that SO bad?

Do you HONESTLY think they thought they'd be giving it away for free 6 months ago? Do you also think they planned to make this game f2p? They're changes made for the better and to keep the game alive. If you want a dead game then yeah, make everyone pay. If you don't then why are you complaining about something that doesn't affect you?

Well said. I started playing this game about two months ago and bought this expansion about a month ago. Now it's free? *sigh* I guess when the next expansion is released, if ever, we should all just wait until it's free.

So she's selfish, greedy, and not a loyal fan of the game even though she has spent a lot of money on it through the monthly subscriptions and by actually purchasing the expansion????

That makes NO sense whatsoever.

Makes sense if you are witty enough to get the message.

One that cries out I'm a true fan who only wants best for the game...but then clearly goes hey you giving that away I want it too....at every occassion ....like I said not a real loyal fan just someone who plays and wants handouts that don't justly belong to them....all merely because I pay each month.

Well I pay my mortgage each month you can say I'm loyal to my mortgage...but just because my neighbor that just bought their house got away with no closing costs....doesn't mean I have the right to go..."hey 13 years ago you made me pay closing costs....I'm a loyal customer refund my costs!"....

Edited by Shirx

This is not an accounting issue, it is a customer service issue, and the thing that made it a customer service issue is the fact that BioWare has stated that their reason for giving recent buyers the 1050 CCs was "in appreciation for their recent purchase of Rise of the Hutt Cartel". If on the other hand it was an accounting issue based on a depreciation cycle as you suggest, then even you might want to admit that some sort of pro-rata refund system should have been worked out for anyone who purchased the expansion after its official launch date.

I feel like the title "The Risen" doesn't even make any sense in the context of what "The Rise of the Hutt Cartel" was. How exactly did our characters become "The Risen" during the story? That must have taken like what 5 minutes to think up? And another 5 to create?

More to the point, the title should be something that more accurately reflects the situation here today. I suggest that they change the free title to "The Sucker", "The Naive", "The Exploited", "The Cash Cow", or "The One Who Should Have Seen It Coming". ;)

I am 'Darth Sucker' and I approve this post.

This is not an accounting issue, it is a customer service issue, and the thing that made it a customer service issue is the fact that BioWare has stated that their reason for giving recent buyers the 1050 CCs was "in appreciation for their recent purchase of Rise of the Hutt Cartel". If on the other hand it was an accounting issue based on a depreciation cycle as you suggest, then even you might want to admit that some sort of pro-rata refund system should have been worked out for anyone who purchased the expansion after its official launch date.

Um yeah no.