Why be the Emperor

Raistalion

Figured this should go in spoilers just for some of the answers that this might provoke.

Q. WHY be the Emperor?

Lets get a little clearer on that... For what reason do I have for most of my characters to want to become the ruler of some society on the edge of nowhere, that for the last "two years" has actively hated and fought against me, its people don't like me. Heck, even some of my "allies" are constantly telling me that I'm either doing it wrong OR that Zakuul is great and the rest of the universe sucks. I have few ties to that place and little respect for its people.

Now aside from the choice to "(re-)Make Zakuul into a Better Place/in my own image" why would you want to be the Emperor.

Playing a Sith? I'd rather be the Emperor or the actual Empire. Jedi? Um, being the Emperor doesn't seem to sit with the whole Jedi bit. Space Pirate (Smuggler)? I doubt being the Emperor will give me much of a chance to go space pirating. Bounty Hunter? Does an Emperor get paid? Ghost (Agent)? Being the obvious guy in charge sort of defeats the idea of being invisible... and the list goes on.

Outside of "Its good to be the King" I still don't see the point.

Even when given the dribble by Valkorian about power vacuums and such, it just doesn't seem worth it. It also seems like its a dead end for a Career. When the next Xpack after KOTET hits, do they expect us to suddenly step down to deal with the new issue?

Don't get me wrong, a couple of my toons would love to be the King for various reasons, but for most it seems like such a stretch and I hope that in the end we can't be the ruler, but have to put an NPC in charge in our place and go back to the main part of the galaxy.

So what do others think? Why should we care/want to be the Emperor? Or am I missing some sort of super motivation somewhere.

Are you asking in general why would someone want to be Empror ? Or why US the player would take the chair is if it's handed to us ?

Usually , those who want to be Empror , king , Queen , Empress , leader , chief , God..yada yada . It's you know...the Glory of being on Top . The thrill of ascending to as close as you can get to Godhood while stuck down here on this planet . (Mao is a fine exemple of started good then power corruption went to his head) .

It's often either it wanna change the world to it's own image , or an idealist who wanna give more freedom or fight for that cause . There are hundreds of reasons for the why .

As for the US the players why I would want the chair ?

1- To see the look on everyone face when I sit there . I'm the goddamn Arishok now ! :p

haha just kidding .

Well of all 18 toons I have , the only one who want it badly is my Sorc . But she doesn't want it like ''Ohh I deserve to rulez ! I'm going to be Emprore'' ..Imagine more..Abomination in the Making . I play My Sorc as a mini-Valk-in the making . She doesn't want to rule . For her the Empire was her playground there to serve her and not the other way around . She didn't care if the empire die or burn , as long as she is part of watever destruction befall the Empire she is happy .

So for her Zaakul is just a new shiny toy to play with . A new Stronghold that she will toy with until she get bored . Sith like my Sorc..live for the destructions they can bring . Ruling is something that would bore them . And often they will leave Empty world in their wake .

My others toons IF they are forced into a situation like my wrath , will take it if only so Valk , Vaylin or Arcann or Scorpio won't get the throne . So out of necessity . I always though if we had a choice , I would put Senya up there on the Throne with Koth to help with the common peoples . Right now after seeing how Kotfe end....I think that was a pipe dream .

Are you asking in general why would someone want to be Empror ? Or why US the player would take the chair is if it's handed to us ?

As you answered. Both side.

Right now my Warrior would rule just because he thinks he is the center of the Universe and with an Empire to back him he couple be even more pivitol. My Sorcerer would do it if he thought it would get him a step closer to reforming a more unified Empire... otherwise most of my toons wouldn't bother and i personally hate the whole "I do it because theirs no one else" or "if I don't do it, someone worse will" both of which seems to be a default writing choice for a lot of bioware games.

As you answered. Both side.

Right now my Warrior would rule just because he thinks he is the center of the Universe and with an Empire to back him he couple be even more pivitol. My Sorcerer would do it if he thought it would get him a step closer to reforming a more unified Empire... otherwise most of my toons wouldn't bother and i personally hate the whole "I do it because theirs no one else" or "if I don't do it, someone worse will" both of which seems to be a default writing choice for a lot of bioware games.

Hum...what game is that where BW wrote the story where they push you in "I do it because theirs no one else" or "if I don't do it, someone worse will"?

Ok for the 1st one , I can say that fit with the warden from Dragon Age Origin . I do it cose Alistair is too busy falling on his sword lol .

Dragon Age 2 was more like I do it cose it's fun ! Mayhem and explosion and Blood Magic wee !

Dragon Age Inquisition was more like I don't wanna do it but everyone want you to !

Mass effect was mostly ''Shepard save us with this pistol ! Go! Evasive Manoeuver !'

Jade Empire was ''do it or everyone is Doomed !'

Neverwinter Night was more like ''I do it so you can screw me in the end !' . Then came NWN2 where it was far worse . 'Do it because Death is following you '' . Then Mask of the Betrayer was 'Do it because you have no other Alternative' .

What would be a 3rd choice then ? If we don't take the Throne...what ? Blow the damn Planet ? Give it to someone else ?

Inquisitor could want to be it, because they're a class that can be played to want to be a ruler. Why does it have to be limited to the Empire, especially since it's shown the Eternal Empire can kick the Empire's butt :p

Warrior was a class that felt less about wanting to rule, however, the Warrior is still Sith and could want to get to that point.

Hunter. All leader's of the Mando's likely start in the Hunter's shoes and go on to lead them as a group. No difference there, even if during the class stories you never really seemed to be in search of such a position. Though such a position does get paid. :p

Agent. I'd say you'd effectively be retiring from your business taking such a position and at a relatively young age at that. Taking such a position would hurt the spy business anyways, so being the face of the Alliance, you're already screwed on your job.

Smuggler is one who can go about saying how they want their own criminal empire. So while I still feel the smuggler doesn't fit the KotFE storyline, they are easily one of the ones who could want the position. :p Of course, not all smugglers wanted the leader position. Some just wanted the money :p

Trooper. Has some leadership abilities. So could take it to a higher position of leadership. Much like smuggler, doesn't fit the storyline. Unlike the smuggler, no talk of wanting such a leadership position, that I recall. However, I could see them being willing to become the next Saresh :o I said it!

Jedi's are the one's least likely, though they both have leadership abilities, and the Knight has at least one chance of stating how they believe the Jedi should step up more and should possibly rule (Kira conversation).

Edit: There's also the chance that the outlander wants to impress their Lana or Koth LI too :p

Edited by SithKoriandr

My sorcerer- Yes she take it but she believes she should be the one ruling and this would give her a chance to bring the Empire and the Republic under her thumb to play with. She remembers what it was like to be a slave so she will push the buttons and make the empire kneel to her. The republic well they will be toys to play with and she will sit back and laugh while she does it.

My smuggler- Not much of a ruler type and she really doesn't want a criminal empire, as she turned it down the last time she had a choice. Credits yea would be nice as she has a family as she married her love, a Jedi Master (nope not companions ) and they have some children.

My agent- She would believe that she would be the best choice as she can remember what they empire did to her (brainwashing) so she would take it and rule and even get a bit of revenge against those that tried to brainwash her.

My Jedis- Not really their cup of tea. They do it if the choice was them or someone that would hurt the galaxy.

The others it would depend on how I play them as I haven't figured out their storylines yet.

This is the biggest thing that I'm afraid of about this expansion. If we will be forced to rule Eternal Empire...it would ruin my whole historical background for my characters.

My warrior- From the very beginning he always wanted to unite galaxy under single banner, create something like Galactic Empire. He wasn't even a sith either, more like grey jedi following Revan ways. So he sees an opportunity in taking Eternal Throne to create his dreamed Empire and unite the galaxy.

My SI aka Darth Imperius- She always was a patriot knowing that SIth Empire won't survive waging endless war with Republic. She always wanted to stop infightings in Empire and guarantine it's survival, so Darth Marr always was her closest ally. There's no sense for her of taking rule over Eternal Empire, she would rather convert Zakuul into Taris 2.0 instead she would become Sith Empress to unite Empire and end sith infightings one and of all.

Agent, Jedis and Trooper- They give even less s**t about taking Eternal Empire, they would rather go back to the Republic/Empire.

I hope that BW won't make second ME3 ending from this

My Merc is legit still trying to figure out why Vitiate/Valkorion considered him worthy of notice, never mind why he's the best choice to lead the Alliance, and I suspect my Gunslinger will face the same conundrum if/when I take her through KotFE.

My Operative did go head-to-head with Jadus, who was touted as being second only in power to the Emperor himself; and while I had to head canon myself through that fight by imagining Temple being able to boost her healing abilities with the Force, I can nevertheless see why Vitiate/Valkorion would take an interest in the "mere spy" who managed to bring Jadus to his knees. Of course he would rather be the power behind the throne, dealing with threats from the shadows like he's always done, so I'm honestly not sure WHAT he'll do in KotET.

Before addressing my Force users, I wanted to say that for me, it's not simply the fact that the Smuggler, Agent, and Bounty Hunter are not Force Sensitives that tests the limits of my ability to suspend my disbelief for the sake of fiction where KotFE is concerned. It's also the roles they played leading up to KotFE. These are the sort of people one would find in the cantina in Mos Eisley. Heck, the Bounty Hunter theme is called Scum and the Agent theme is called Villainy. The Smuggler theme is called Bravado, which is really only marginally better. And while I believe in character development, I also believe it should make sense. So far with my Merc and Operative, I've not felt that the story was actually leading these shady characters to "transcend" their pasts as shady characters. Instead I've felt as if they are expected to act completely out of character simply because the story demands it. That, to me, is where KotFE failed the three non-Force using classes that are not obvious BDH material a la Jace Malcom.

Speaking of which, my Trooper will just assume Vitiate/Valkorion is interested in him because even world devouring abominations get bored and considering how much damage Jace did to Malgus with a grenade it's not entirely unreasonable for the Emperor to keep an eye on another guy who seems Most Likely To Try To Blow Himself Up Just To Take Out The Big Bad. I'm probably going to be chanting "remember Order 66" like a mantra every time he fights a Valkorion spawn, but he's a dutiful sort so while he'll be initially reluctant to sit in in that uncomfortable chair ultimately he'll accept the responsibility if for no other reason than to FINALLY remove Saresh from power. <_<

Now on to my Force users...

My JK is very interested in the job because I've played him like Anakin this entire time and he's reached the "we can end this destructive conflict and bring order to the galaxy" point that Vader did where he believes no one else has the power to maintain order. (Is it wrong that I'm hoping he has the option to propose to Lana by saying, "Marry me, and together we can rule the galaxy as husband and wife"?)

For my Sorc and my Sin, it's something of a natural progression from Dark Council member to Ruler of the Known Galaxy. My Sorc was exceedingly fond of Marr, however, and after getting rid of her ghosts is none too pleased to have another one in her head, so it will depend on what happens with Valkorion in KotET whether she actually wants to sit in that chair or not. My Sin is a power-hungry waif with a chip on her shoulder who will Force Leap at the chance to take the throne and likely be fully corrupted by the time she does.

My first Jug is pretty exasperated with the state of the galaxy/his life so he would agree to be Emperor to keep another power hungry lunatic or world devouring abomination off the throne..and to have a chance at taking a real vacation.

My second Jug, rolled for DvL and a KotFE bug, is slavishly devoted to Vitiate and as such, would willingly seize the throne if Valkorion told him to.

My Sage is probably going to be miserable throughout KotFE. Here she spent her entire story fighting the Emperor's influence on other Jedi and now she'll have him in her own head. If she's not a nervous wreck by the time she gets to KotET I'll be very surprised.

I have a couple of characters I'm not taking through KotFE until I either know what happened to their husbandos or we get those companions back.

Now, as to why I the player would be interested in being Emperor/Empress? For the novelty of it, and to satisfy my own curiosity. To see where that story takes my character(s). To see the differences, if there are any - and I sincerely hope there are significant ones - between say a DS JK and a LS SI sitting the throne. There is actually a decent amount of potential with having a PC assume such a position of power and while I haven't been blown away with the writing in KotFE it hasn't been awful (imo, with the exception of anything written by John Stumme ANet takes top prize for bad writing and lazy characterisation), so I'm cautiously optimistic that KotET will at least be interesting.

Yeah, I don't want to be the emperor and I can't see any of my characters wanting to be an emperor aside from maybe one of my Sith Warriors. I hope the game doesn't actually force us to become emperor.

It's very much possible that you'll be put into a situation where refusing would lead to a lot of people dying, therefore refusing would be out of character even for a Jedi since it'd be necessary to save lives. You can be Emperor and resent it, you know?

for my ds inquisitor he would become emperor and absorb the zakuulans into the sith empre and then crush the republic until it relents, then absorb that into the sith empire, then do a nathema on several world to go beyond deaths reach. A true sith if ever there was one, to reach for power.

my ds agent would install himself on the throne, but only as a spy reporting to a newly rebuilt imperial intelligence, in effect the zakuulans would take orders from the sith empire without realizing it. over time my agent could weaken the zakuulans to the point they are no longer a threat as long as the sith empire takes full advantage.

my ls sith warrior is a heretic, pure and simple, he doesn't want to see his fellow sith wiped out but then again he doesn't want them getting too strong either, at least in this as a new emperor he can rule the people and show them a new way of living, away from the destruction and chaos and a bit more peaceful. using friendly strong arm tactics to passify the empire into oblivion eventually.

my ls jk has renounced his jedi ways despite the fact he still carries himself as one. Leading is something he will do because no one else can do it and because he wants to do good instead of bad for the people of zakuul.

It's very much possible that you'll be put into a situation where refusing would lead to a lot of people dying, therefore refusing would be out of character even for a Jedi since it'd be necessary to save lives. You can be Emperor and resent it, you know?

Oh I definitely expect BioWare to write something that forces us to become the emperor. Doesn't mean I'm happy about it or find it suitable for my characters. If it were real life there would be a plethora of options (such as abolishing the monarchy and changing to a democracy) but with the way KotFE as a whole has been (and other recent BioWare games), I'll be shocked if we even get an A vs B choice.

Guys chill, we talk about Valkorian seat here, you know the sith emperor , 1300 years old, master of deception, master minde, ultimate manipulator, power hunger? All this "you must take the ethernal throne" is a joke, i think we and our entire alliance is just a pawn in valkorian plan , i mean cmon it was clear for the beggining. Ii think if we will refuse the throne we will be possessed by valkorian and ... if we accept ... yeh same :)) our character is just his vessel

I'm more worried about what happens AFTER.

Becoming the emperor seems pretty final, no? That would, or at least should, make it highly illogical for our character to go out on adventures again. The emperor/empress needs to be alive and safe to be able to rule, not risking her/his life beating down uprisings on Tatooine. (along with three other emperors/empresses... :rolleyes: )

The only logical choice is to put someone else, Lana for example, on the throne. IF there is to be a new/continued story after KotET.

Either way, for a couple of my characters it might make sense to take the throne. For most of them, no way, never ever.

I'm more worried about what happens AFTER.

Becoming the emperor seems pretty final, no? That would, or at least should, make it highly illogical for our character to go out on adventures again. The emperor/empress needs to be alive and safe to be able to rule, not risking her/his life beating down uprisings on Tatooine. (along with three other emperors/empresses... :rolleyes: )

The only logical choice is to put someone else, Lana for example, on the throne. IF there is to be a new/continued story after KotET.

Either way, for a couple of my characters it might make sense to take the throne. For most of them, no way, never ever.

Agree, doesn't make sense for anyone other than Sith. Sith culture and creed is such that a leader who sits around and doesn't do anything (or no longer can( will be offed and deposed so they would at least be comfortable with showing they can fight and should be feared.

Agree, doesn't make sense for anyone other than Sith. Sith culture and creed is such that a leader who sits around and doesn't do anything (or no longer can( will be offed and deposed so they would at least be comfortable with showing they can fight and should be feared.

Emperor didn't go off on merry little adventures :p

Also, it just would make sense in later missions.

"Emperor, you will have to do this." "Send in the troops." "No can do. I gave you an order." :p

• 1 year later...

i wish they would not of gone the route of making you the leader of a faction to begin with, whether or not it can make sense for our character. Whenever a game makes you the leader of a faction in the game, it fails on every level in making you feel like the leader of that faction. Like, now i'm the emperor, isn't there somebody I can appoint to take care of these uprisings? I have an army consisting of people from Zakuul, the republic, and the empire, why do I, the emperor, need to take care of every little matter? Don't Kings have ministers, people who share the work load? I'm pretty sure that is what the dark council was. Why don't I have one of those?

Yes...yes, I know its a game, and they can't have you doing nothing, but its the fact that its a game, that they should avoid making you the leader.

Edited by cool-dude

Like, now i'm the emperor, isn't there somebody I can appoint to take care of these uprisings? I have an army consisting of people from Zakuul, the republic, and the empire, why do I, the emperor, need to take care of every little matter? Don't Kings have ministers, people who share the work load? I'm pretty sure that is what the dark council was. Why don't I have one of those?

Yes...yes, I know its a game, and they can't have you doing nothing, but its the fact that its a game, that they should avoid making you the leader.

Yes, I agree. Honestly, only the inquisitor makes any sense to me as leader. Everyone else would have been better suited to other roles in the alliance, and the one story for all just doesn't work. I wish they would just redo the whole thing with different storylines in the main narrative based on class. It would make the game more interesting.

Edited by Tarkashae

• 2 weeks later...

My main is a BH, she couldn't care less about being Empress or about Zakuul. One thing is disappointing, why can't she ( after killing Valkorion in the Matrix-like dimension) pass the Throne to Shae Vizla?

Something like "hey, you're older and wiser than me, you already have a Queen-like position - supreme leader of Mandalorians- how about you take the Throne and decide what's next? "

My main is a BH, she couldn't care less about being Empress or about Zakuul. One thing is disappointing, why can't she ( after killing Valkorion in the Matrix-like dimension) pass the Throne to Shae Vizla?

Something like "hey, you're older and wiser than me, you already have a Queen-like position - supreme leader of Mandalorians- how about you take the Throne and decide what's next? "

This is a horrible idea. Like, really bad on multiple levels.

Even assuming you don't know anything about Mandolorians, you had to play through Revenge of Mandalore, right? You have seem a glimpse of what they are. They like war. They want a challange. There is no greater honor for them to kill a good enemy or get killed by one. And you want to hand them Throne, that controls the most powerful fleet in the galaxy? Do you have any idea what they would do if they get their hands on it? Blow half the galaxy looking for an enemy and then blow the other half fighting said enemy. That bloodthirsty idiot Khem Fett will make Arcann look like a baby.

You are a new player, so I guess you don't have Shae as companion and a member of Alliance. But even then, she is no Queen, she is a Mandalore, a war leader, not a monarch. And even then, cultural difference between Mandalorians and Zakuul are endless. No good will come of Shae becoming their Queen.

So yea, horrible idea all around.

Edited by Gelious

This is a horrible idea. Like, really bad on multiple levels.

Even assuming you don't know anything about Mandolorians, you had to play through Revenge of Mandalore, right? You have seem a glimpse of what they are. They like war. They want a challange. There is no greater honor for them to kill a good enemy or get killed by one. And you want to hand them Throne, that controls the most powerful fleet in the galaxy? Do you have any idea what they would do if they get their hands on it? Blow half the galaxy looking for an enemy and then blow the other half fighting said enemy. That bloodthirsty idiot Khem Fett will make Arcann look like a baby.

You are a new player, so I guess you don't have Shae as companion and a member of Alliance. But even then, she is no Queen, she is a Mandalore, a war leader, not a monarch. And even then, cultural difference between Mandalorians and Zakuul are endless. No good will come of Shae becoming their Queen.

So yea, horrible idea all around.

No, i don't have Shae Vizla as a companion, not willing to pay to have her . If you knew anything about Mandalorians, you would have knew the description of a Mandalore " part warlord, part king" , you get it while accessing the lore about Artus Lok, aka Mandalore the Vindicated.

About the Fett guy : i don't like him, i wished there was a way to punch him in the face during Mandalore's Revenge, but still i think he is a thousand times better than your desfigured momma's boy and would never commit genocide or order refugees homes to be burned.

• 1 month later...

As Gellous pointed out, it would be a bad idea to give Mandalorians control of an entire empire. I was already leery about giving them a few crates of weapons.

My LS SW is probably the best of all my toons to rule the EE: he's compassionate toward the plight of civilians, passionate about seeking justice from Vitiate, and he knows how to manage bickering personalities. He can also make hard decisions, like short-circuiting SCORPIO's bid for godhood. But he also appreciates optics, and the idea of putting on the throne another force user, with connections to Vitiate, who had Valkorian inside his head for over a year, who's currently romancing the last guy to hold the throne, and also happened to be the guy leading the army that had come to overthrow their leaders? It's bad optics.

They don't need an Outlander to rule, they need to rule themselves, and until they get to the point where they can, they need a military alliance to step in and manage the empire, create the kind of society capable of ruling themselves, rather than just taking over. It's Japan post-war, and at no point did someone tell Churchill that hey, there's a vacancy for an Emperor and you'd be doing them a favor by filling it.

Conversely, my DS Agent was originally a more neutral version of Kaliyo, a Rattataki who enjoyed taking risks and causing destruction - she blew up the black codex for the hell of it - but preferably not at the cost of people's lives. But getting stuck in Carbonite for five years, thawed out, forced into the limelight by an ex [Lana], who has flashy force powers and the Sith Intelligence job my Agent had been gunning for, but not the guts to actually lead herself. She's stuck in Wild Space, without any hope of getting back the freedom she had at the end of the vanilla storyline.

Her crew is a mixed bag of heartache: SCORPIO betrayed her, Kaliyo had a nervous breakdown, Lokin overdosed on Rakghoul pheremones, Temple ran back to the Chiss, and Vector's in the wind. her current crew is an ex she still flirts with to keep her off-base, a pub spy she barely tolerates, a couple Zakuulan traitors who would've made great marks in her old life, and several assorted leftovers from the crews of dead celebrities. And Hylo Visz, who she taunts mercilessly. Not a lot to work with.

So she sets her sights on the throne. She also collaborated with Valkorian during Kotfe, which turned out to be not such a good idea, and she struggles with that decision throughout the expansions. She stops worrying about other people's lives, or collateral damage, and sets off on a bloody-minded conquest, killing anyone who gets in her way. She doesn't really want the throne, of course, but is reminded of Jadus' idea of a 'democratization of terror', and decides that having a lot of wealth and power, and choosing to spend it on wrecking the lives of the vain popinjays who are now her subjects, is a fine ambition for a Rattataki girl who started out as a lowly junior agent doing fetch quests on Hutta.

Edited by Ardrossan

I have not played KOTFE yet (my main character is a Jedi Knight, so I wanted to at least know what had happened to the character's original team and if and when they would return).

However, given the story points I have read and seen, it appears that the player characters have no choice. The former Emperor and his family are incapable of ruling justly and the Eternal Empire has left both Republic and Empire is disarray, with many of their leaders falling from grace or making poor decisions. The characters can no longer trust either of the original factions and the Alliance needs to step up in order to maintain the balance of power (or repair the damage done to the player's original faction).

While certain classes and actual players will have different reasons, the Jedi Knight especially has no choice. I would also state that regardless of a player's choice between Emperor or Peacekeeper, the real brains behind the operation are Theron Shan and Lana Beniko. While the player characters are not simple figureheads, the two spies are definitely the ones pulling the strings.