What gift for a friendly player

Ghorio

Hello there!

I am new to the game (started last month) and had a little trouble finding my way through this beautiful game. So i asked for help in the chat and met a very experienced player, who helped me a LOT with my many questions, helped me on my first heroic quests, sent me a good amount of credits, a mount even and invited me to his (tremendous) fortress, so that i had everything i needed in a very comfortable way.

Now i reached level 60 and i kind of think that i have understood everything important in this game (although there will be much to explore in the future). So i want to thank my mentor player for all his service, but i dont know how to do this in a way he would appreciate it. He got a lot of thanks from me already, but i want to give something special to him (or her, i am not really sure). What would be a good gift for such a player? I dont think he needs credits from what i saw and i can't give much anyway. Is there a way you could make a gift in the cartel market? Do experienced players need something on a regular basis like stims which are hard to farm? Please let me know if you have an idea.

Regards

Ghorio

Hello there!

I am new to the game (started last month) and had a little trouble finding my way through this beautiful game. So i asked for help in the chat and met a very experienced player, who helped me a LOT with my many questions, helped me on my first heroic quests, sent me a good amount of credits, a mount even and invited me to his (tremendous) fortress, so that i had everything i needed in a very comfortable way.

Now i reached level 60 and i kind of think that i have understood everything important in this game (although there will be much to explore in the future). So i want to thank my mentor player for all his service, but i dont know how to do this in a way he would appreciate it. He got a lot of thanks from me already, but i want to give something special to him (or her, i am not really sure). What would be a good gift for such a player? I dont think he needs credits from what i saw and i can't give much anyway. Is there a way you could make a gift in the cartel market? Do experienced players need something on a regular basis like stims which are hard to farm? Please let me know if you have an idea.

Regards

Ghorio

Maybe a heartfelt mail with a Jawa Messenger that says "I Love You" or something else that might be more appropriate? I am kidding, sort of. I mean, the Jawa messengers are fun and simple just to use for communication, they offer many different messages too.

Seeing he probably has billions of credits and needs nothing, it's hard to say what to give him that would be useful so instead of something useful maybe something sentimental will work better.

Also, maybe some flower decorations, or some other more appropriate decorations could be found on the GTN that you could gift him, so he could place it in his fortress to always remind him of you, his wonderful underling who appreciated his kindness so much!

Maybe a heartfelt mail with a Jawa Messenger that says "I Love You" or something else that might be more appropriate? I am kidding, sort of. I mean, the Jawa messengers are fun and simple just to use for communication, they offer many different messages too.

Seeing he probably has billions of credits and needs nothing, it's hard to say what to give him that would be useful so instead of something useful maybe something sentimental will work better.

Also, maybe some flower decorations, or some other more appropriate decorations could be found on the GTN that you could gift him, so he could place it in his fortress to always remind him of you, his wonderful underling who appreciated his kindness so much!

I really like the idea of flower decorations. Do you have a name for such an item or something i can type in to search for this? And what are Jawa messengers? Never heard of this before, but it sounds funny :)

I really like the idea of flower decorations. Do you have a name for such an item or something i can type in to search for this? And what are Jawa messengers? Never heard of this before, but it sounds funny :)

You can get these Jawa messengers off the GTN, some are useable forever, while others are a one-time send thingy. I forget their real names. I will look it up, heh.

Ok, look up "Jawagram" lol. On the GTN. Some are one time use, while others are endless...

As for decorations, if you go to the GTN search flowers, search plants, etc. I am not a deco master, so cannot offhand note any specific ones available however maybe someone here will chime in with better ideas. You can just search the GTN though I am sure you might find something there.

Edited by Lhancelot

Hello there!

Regards

Ghorio

When I've helped others like that, the gratitude is enough. It's an old concept called "Paying it forward" where someone does a good deed for another (helps out a newbie) in hopes that it'll start a trend and they'll, in turn, help someone else. It's something that started in the beginning of MMO's and has become rarer over the years, but it's nice to know that it still happens.

It's nice to see something positive about players since most of the time chat is full of disgusting prepubescent pigs talking garbage.

Anyway, just let the person know that you're grateful. Send a nicely worded mail to them and just tell them that if there is anything at all you can do to help them out, not to hesitate to ask.

When I've helped others like that, the gratitude is enough.

Wait, Porsah you actually have helped people, been friendly to people?! No way!

I am JKing. People seem to think you are always mean-spirited and what not. Figured I would josh you a bit. :D

I think this is very kind of you, and him of course - I wish I could do this for more people myself. I'm glad he helped you so much and had such a positive impact on you.

Know what I believe he wants more than anything? He wants you to stick around. He wants you to have fun. He wants you to enjoy yourself. He doesn't want gifts from you...he wants you to be the same kind of person he is. He wants you to join a guild, or solo play more toons. He wants you to be active and positive.

In my opinion - the best way to "thank" him, is to keep in touch and let him know how much his help meant to you. I don't mean bug him non-stop, that can get annoying and creepy ;) I mean send him mails randomly and tell him you're still here, still playing, still enjoying yourself. When you create an alt, shoot him a mail message letting him know it's you.

Don't get expensive gifts unless it's something you truly feel like you should do...your praise and gratitude is worth more reward than every item on the GTN combined.

We need more players like him...and more people like YOU who appreciate the help you've been given. I'm pleased you found this game and happy you met someone to help you.

Know what I believe he wants more than anything? He wants you to stick around. He wants you to have fun. He wants you to enjoy yourself. He doesn't want gifts from you...

In my opinion - the best way to "thank" him, is to keep in touch and let him know how much his help meant to you. I don't mean bug him non-stop, that can get annoying and creepy ;)

TUXs is actually right.

I gave a guy a bunch of stuff on Everquest after knowing him for a short while just because I knew I was going to leave that game and he was a nice fellow.

He was very appreciative, and even asked to exchange emails so we did. I actually been off that game for months now, but guess what? I just got an email from him asking how I was doing now since we had not talked in a long while.

That means more, building friendships with people more than any ingame items will matter. I got to know this guy and now we keep in contact even outside of the game. We aren't best friends, but it's still nice to make nice acquaintances with people that last even outside the game.

I realize this probably is not as common anymore, but it still happens. I think this was more commonly done on older MMOs like EQ1 etc., but it doesn't mean you can't build friendly relationships on this game or other newer games.

Wait, Porsah you actually have helped people, been friendly to people?! No way!

I am JKing. People seem to think you are always mean-spirited and what not. Figured I would josh you a bit. :D

LOL - I can name a handful that probably believe that. But there's a difference between being mean spirited, speaking your mind and not taking crap. What I find funny is that I've probably encountered some of those people in game and they probably think that I'm a very nice person. Go figure. :p

I've helped lots of people over the years. Not "tooting my own horn" but I've given away many mounts, made items and gave away probably close to 100 mil in just this game alone. Hell, just 2 weeks ago I gave 20 mil to someone so they could get some legacy unlocks, without any expectations for compensation. :p

I think this is very kind of you, and him of course - I wish I could do this for more people myself. I'm glad he helped you so much and had such a positive impact on you.

Know what I believe he wants more than anything? He wants you to stick around. He wants you to have fun. He wants you to enjoy yourself. He doesn't want gifts from you...he wants you to be the same kind of person he is. He wants you to join a guild, or solo play more toons. He wants you to be active and positive.

In my opinion - the best way to "thank" him, is to keep in touch and let him know how much his help meant to you. I don't mean bug him non-stop, that can get annoying and creepy ;) I mean send him mails randomly and tell him you're still here, still playing, still enjoying yourself. When you create an alt, shoot him a mail message letting him know it's you.

Don't get expensive gifts unless it's something you truly feel like you should do...your praise and gratitude is worth more reward than every item on the GTN combined.

We need more players like him...and more people like YOU who appreciate the help you've been given. I'm pleased you found this game and happy you met someone to help you.

This, Tux is right. When I help someone just a thank you is enough and for them to pay it forward by helping someone else. Just let her know how much you appreciated the help and that you are going to help another player. Keeping in contact with her would be good as well as long as you follow Tux's advice. She would appreciate knowing that you are still playing and having fun.

Have a great day.

When I've helped others like that, the gratitude is enough. It's an old concept called "Paying it forward" where someone does a good deed for another (helps out a newbie) in hopes that it'll start a trend and they'll, in turn, help someone else. It's something that started in the beginning of MMO's and has become rarer over the years, but it's nice to know that it still happens.

It's also called "bread on the waters", and the basic idea is much, much older than MMORPGs.

Other than the religious reference (and religion is taboo on the forums), I've never heard that term used in relation to any video game.

I never heard it before, had to look it up. It's actually "bread upon the waters." Guess it's something taught from religion. He's right about the meaning though, but like you I never heard this phrase on any game I played. :p

Tbh, I would just send him a space email with the link to your thread here. What you've essentially done here is make a public thank you letter, like sending a letter to a newspaper. This is a very good gesture, and worth much more than in-game items.

In fact, I might do that myself. About a year ago I met a datacron Coyote who helped me get about a dozen hard to reach datacrons, including the Makeb ones. I gave him stacks of level 6 companion gifts, but I think he'd probably appreciate a note on the forums more, and a sign that I still remember how he helped me. It took a considerable amount of time to get them, and I think he changed characters several times [to switch from imp to pub] to get them. I didn't get the datacron master [i skipped the shards and the rishi ones are apparently very difficult] but I very much appreciate the help.

Later, another coyote helped me get the cheevo for the bounty hunter event where you find that sniper in the cartel bazaar. I gave him more comp gifts, and he was apparently amazed that anyone would give him something for an [apparently] small thing.

When I first started playing, one of my first comps was a PT tank. I'd never done MMOs before and didn't understand how tanking worked. I was in a pug heroic - hunger of the Vrbithers - before they nerfed heroics, and getting my team slaughtered because I didn't know what I was doing. This guy gave me some very helpful advice on how to tank, and stands in stark contrast to the norm for pugs. I don't remember his name, unfortunately, and can't pm him.

Another guy recently helped me add several of my alts to a guild of one, which is something I couldn't do myself [easily]. He didn't want anything - he already had plenty of comp gifts that he didn't use - but was happy to help. Unfortunately, I treated him kind of badly. I didn't remove him from the guild afterwards, and he didn't quit, so when I stopped subbing he automatically took over as GM. This was a big problem because I'd intend to start putting overflow from my legacy storage in the GB [that was the whole point of a guild of one] so I sent him a space email asking him to give me GM status back. It took like two or three weeks to get a reply, and he agreed, but I was so panicked about that happening again I deleted him. Not really paying it forward.

Lastly, a lot of my guildies from GK have helped me out recently with understanding how operations work and handholding me through a lot of the mechanics, and not blowing their top when I screw up, which I appreciate, as I probably wouldn't have been as patient.

Edited by Ardrossan

Pay it Forward.....

Like they helped you, help others. When you see somebody looking for help or information... Give it freely. It cost you nothing to be friendly to other players even if they are NOT friendly to you. Always rise above the lower life forms you find in the game.

As for your friend... keep in touch with them. Group with them, go on flashpoints with them, help them when they have problems with a mission (everybody needs help at some time), play the game with them. I am sure you know how hard it is to find somebody to group / play with that is not a jerk...

You have a friend for life in the game.... don't waste it.

That is the BEST way to to show your thanks for their help. Simply Be Their Friend...

Other than the religious reference (and religion is taboo on the forums), I've never heard that term used in relation to any video game.

I first ran across it at the beginning of the 1990s, when my wife and I moved from the US to the UK, and my aunt gifted us some money to help us get going in our new place, with the request that we pay it back by helping someone else later, and my mother (through whom the money arrived) referred to that style of gift received => gift given journey as "bread on the waters", so not in the domain of video games at all.

I first ran across it at the beginning of the 1990s, when my wife and I moved from the US to the UK, and my aunt gifted us some money to help us get going in our new place, with the request that we pay it back by helping someone else later, and my mother (through whom the money arrived) referred to that style of gift received => gift given journey as "bread on the waters", so not in the domain of video games at all.

Semantics.

I'll admit that it may not have started with video games, and I never claimed that it was exclusive to video games. We're talking about an in-game experience here, so while "bread upon the waters" (which is the actual phrase) may fit because one interpretation of it means "the practice of giving" while the more commonly used phrase for gaming communities is "Pay it forward" or "Paying it forward" - a phrase that became popular since the inception of MMO's.