Marauder smash changes 2.0

JP_Legatus

^^^

I agree , imo it was pretty much a buff, lets not forget that now there is a bigger difference between defense and dmg buff from expertise, which gives a buff to burst classes , if you ignore the better curve of bonus dmg, smash dmg has been buffed by 3% and all other dmg buffed too.

Also

Like maras did at pre 1.2 ? ^^

Sorcs were always the most popular advanced class. Since beta :p

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No he's talking about whatever the imp equivalent of combat trance is.

Right now Ataru Form has a 30% chance to proc opportune attack and 100% chance to proc combat trance.

While combat trance is active Blade Storm is an auto-crit.

In 2.0 Combat Trance is tied to opportune attack, so only a 30% chance to proc combat trance, and the autocrit that comes with it (though now Combat Trance gives you your focus back when you Blade Storm).

That ain't a small change. That's a huge nerf to Combat Burst.

Meanwhile, smash has undergone a rebalance at worst. Smash hits a bit less harder, but everything else hits a lot harder.

Oooooh.

I actually didn't notice this since I still always crit on dummies on the PTS, which in hind-sight was due to a degree of luck; if unlucky this will make your initial burst take longer to set up but all subsequent bursts will be easy (plenty of proc chances). Due to this change we get a 10% buff to Blade Storm.

We also get Hand of Justice, Contemplation & a lower GCD on everything with Zen. It's a bigger burst that takes longer to set up which I think is very fitting for Combat/Carnage.

Edited by MrRuck

• 1 month later...

So with these changes, I still enjoy my rage marauder. It has been the only spec I have used since I hit 50 for both pvp and pve (yes i smash ops bosses) With choke no longer giving the shockwave stacks, what do you guys think would be a good rotation now to make up for that? I still keep hitting it out of habit and then wondering why my smash hit so weak. I keep forgetting lol

So I can still keep the same opener. Charge/force crush/Battering assault/smash/scream/ravage.....then what? Choke/obliterate/smash followed that but now that they have taken away choke building stacks any suggestions?

Edited by SeasickTex
adding more

So with these changes, I still enjoy my rage marauder. It has been the only spec I have used since I hit 50 for both pvp and pve (yes i smash ops bosses) With choke no longer giving the shockwave stacks, what do you guys think would be a good rotation now to make up for that? I still keep hitting it out of habit and then wondering why my smash hit so weak. I keep forgetting lol

So I can still keep the same opener. Charge/force crush/Battering assault/smash/scream/ravage.....then what? Choke/obliterate/smash followed that but now that they have taken away choke building stacks any suggestions?

Yes you should have removed choke even from 1.7. Frenzy-Zen-leap-smash-crush-slash-slash-battering-obliterate-smash-scream/dispatch-zen (for shockwave stacks and full rage bar for more slashing/screaming/viciously throwing). Bottom line, removing stacks from choke is hardly a nerf to rage maras.

Edited by MusicRider

Yes you should have removed choke even from 1.7. Frenzy-Zen-leap-smash-crush-slash-slash-battering-obliterate-smash-scream/dispatch-zen (for shockwave stacks and full rage bar for more slashing/screaming/viciously throwing). Bottom line, removing stacks from choke is hardly a nerf to rage maras.

I think I follow u there. However with the mix of what seems to be the equivalent sentinel abilities in which I don't know it sounded a bit confusing. Zen? Dispatch? ME NO SPEAKA JEDI!! lol. Also, I saw no mentioning of ravage in there anywhere. I know a hard hitter like that should not be ignored. If you could make that a bit more clear I would greatly appreciate the help.

The biggest buff to Rage/Focus was the nerf to Stun Bubbles. The biggest nerf to Rage/Focus was the buff to snipers. The intrinsic changes to Rage/Focus were minimal. In the immediate run, Rage/Focus should have a field day as the availability of good snipers is extremely limited.

Looking at snippets of patch notes in a vacuum aside, I don't see lots of smashers in wzs on pot5 at least and those that are playing are, as often as not, getting out damaged by many other classes at the moment.

The biggest buff to Rage/Focus was the nerf to Stun Bubbles. The biggest nerf to Rage/Focus was the buff to snipers. The intrinsic changes to Rage/Focus were minimal. In the immediate run, Rage/Focus should have a field day as the availability of good snipers is extremely limited.

Snipers newfound mobility and entrench killing smashes damage makes them a very hard counter to smashers yeah.

Meanwhile, smash has undergone a rebalance at worst. Smash hits a bit less harder, but everything else hits a lot harder.

I will jive in and say you are completely and utterly wrong with this statement.

I play all 3 trees and I know which one does better in damage and that is smash by a long shot.

Combat is the same as if was before, nothing has changed on the rotation, nothing.

I repeat, nothing, sure Bioware put a few things in but all in all its the exact same.

Far as damage Blade Storm hits little harder, but in the grand scheme its nowhere near the damage as smash.

Smash sweeps is somewhat down from before, not much and let me tell you that 15% less isn't alot, I still do 6k or little more with 3 singularity up with a Inspiration.

Sometimes a crit happens and its up in the 8k's.

Also smash is not a one trick pony, the set up can be played alot different.

(This is coming from a sent smash, not sure on the damage from guardian)

Also to add Strike hits harder, all the moves seem to hit harder since the patch.

But one move that makes smash better now is the finisher Dispatch http://www.torhead.com/ability/boxH6eo/dispatch, if crited I have seen up in the 9k's.

It's the one move that has changed the ballgame for smash build.

It don't do as much in combat because combat don't have the extra armor pen like smash.

I don't know what everyone one else is doing, but smash is the damage tree, combat is the clutch speed trans with some lockdown moves, and watchman needs help and Bioware needs to buff it up more.

Edited by Caeliux

I think I follow u there. However with the mix of what seems to be the equivalent sentinel abilities in which I don't know it sounded a bit confusing. Zen? Dispatch? ME NO SPEAKA JEDI!! lol. Also, I saw no mentioning of ravage in there anywhere. I know a hard hitter like that should not be ignored. If you could make that a bit more clear I would greatly appreciate the help.

:). Sorry, was describing mostly pvp rotations were ravage is asking for cc. Yes ravage is fine. Dispatch=Vicious throw and zen=berserk. So slightly modified, which is what I use in pve.

Frenzy-berserk-leap-smash-crush-ravage-slash-slash-battering-obliterate-smash-scream/vicious throw-berserk (for shockwave stacks and full rage bar for more slashing/screaming/viciously throwing).

With scream being free after smash it is probably worth integrating it somewhere in the first loop after the first smash (prob after ravage or in its place if not available IMO or save it for after slashes if you've been knockbacked).

Edited by MusicRider

Stun bubbles going is a good thing. Regarding rage maras and snipers. IMO, a smashers job is not to chase down single targets. The spec shines and is more useful in staying in the mid of a group and damaging. If you want single target damage carnage and anni are much better. Also snipers are a threat to everyone in the field, but it's not a smshers role to take them out, this is better left for a shadow, operative, sage, sniper or commando.

What I've found on my Guardian Focus spec:

Never use Sundering Strike or Strike anymore, use Slash for lowering your cooldowns.

Since I've been using my PvE set, lower cooldown on Combat Focus, and min range on Saber Throw going to 0, is great for this spec. All my focus generation comes from Leap, or Combat Focus. Saber Throw is now a pre finisher you can use before Dispatch. Sweep followed by Blade Storm will take off about 12k hp, Saber Throw will drop another 3.5k hp off, Dispatch will hit for 8k. This will kill anyone short of a tank or healer.

Overall, the spec feels alot smoother, and flows better than pre 2.0. The extremely big sweeps are toned down, but the rest of the attacks in the spec are buffed aliitle more. Before it was Leap, Smash, Blade storm, stack builder, filler, Leap, Smash, Blade Storm ad nauseum. Now, if you do this, your DPS will suffer.

Rage was a AOE tree and that's it. Everyone screamed nerf nerf. They nerfed the damage on smash.

They gave these people a chance in fighting by increasing crit. So what ?

and this:

Dude. I played rage for lols on my juggernaut last night and got 620k, naked, with no healers on my team. It's totally legit and balanced.

Smash sweeps is somewhat down from before, not much and let me tell you that 15% less isn't alot, I still do 6k or little more with 3 singularity up with a Inspiration.

woot? What crit? lol...

Smash spec has always been the face-roll spec. Contrary to the other 2 specs, anyone can achieve high dps numbers effortlessly.

Combat and Watchman scale with the player's skill and it is sad to see people who think those 2 trees are inferior. They aren't. They just require more effort, practice and getting used to.

Smash spec has always been the face-roll spec. Contrary to the other 2 specs, anyone can achieve high dps numbers effortlessly.

Combat and Watchman scale with the player's skill and it is sad to see people who think those 2 trees are inferior. They aren't. They just require more effort, practice and getting used to.

QFT

Aside from pyros, Smash has always been the easiest spec to play in the game.

Combat imo has gotten a buff.

Sure I have to pay attention to my procs a little more, and there is a new opening rotation to learn, but starting a fight with 9 full seconds of 100% armor pen = a buff in pvp

I will jive in and say you are completely and utterly wrong with this statement.

I play all 3 trees and I know which one does better in damage and that is smash by a long shot.

Combat is the same as if was before, nothing has changed on the rotation, nothing.

I repeat, nothing, sure Bioware put a few things in but all in all its the exact same.

Far as damage Blade Storm hits little harder, but in the grand scheme its nowhere near the damage as smash.

Also smash is not a one trick pony, the set up can be played alot different.

(This is coming from a sent smash, not sure on the damage from guardian)

Also to add Strike hits harder, all the moves seem to hit harder since the patch.

But one move that makes smash better now is the finisher Dispatch http://www.torhead.com/ability/boxH6eo/dispatch, if crited I have seen up in the 9k's.

It's the one move that has changed the ballgame for smash build.

It don't do as much in combat because combat don't have the extra armor pen like smash.

I don't know what everyone one else is doing, but smash is the damage tree, combat is the clutch speed trans with some lockdown moves, and watchman needs help and Bioware needs to buff it up more.

How does anything you said make my statement completely and utterly wrong? I said smash itself (the actual ability) hits a little less harder but everything else hits a lot harder, so that smash the spec had not suffered a nerf but had instead undergone a damage rebalance, which you basically said above using more words. Also your smash should ALWAYS be critting. If it isn't critting you're doing it wrong, and 6k seems a little low in 2.0. 8k sounds more like it.

Also weren't you the one who LESS THAN A WEEK AGO was saying that watchman was totally gonna continue to be awesome? Changing our tune now aren't we?

Also also if you haven't figured out how getting a free PS and Dispatch frequently changes the rotation for combat (and mean that above 30% health dispatch should always have 100% armor pen) then I don't know what to tell you.

In sustained DPS smash is still behind, but in PVP that's less important as always.

Edited by ArchangelLBC