Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

DJs Mercenary Healing Guide For Dummies

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
DJs Mercenary Healing Guide For Dummies

TempestasSilva
12.21.2011 , 05:19 PM | #11
Best formatting I have seen. Good content as well. I love the emphasis on "Keep Pressing 1".

I know you point out that SCG vents 16 heat, but I think too many people miss that. Also they use it too much as a panic button. It is not a panic button, it needs to be used frequently and between talents and "Keep pressing 1", it stacks back to 30 really fast.

Also I dont see Kolto Shell. Several people are having problems with this. They put it on the tank, the tank pulls and gets hit, Kolto Shell heals GIVING THE HEALER AGGRO, and it gets all kinds of bad from there. Put it on the tank AFTER they establish aggro.

djinnerman
12.21.2011 , 09:34 PM | #12
Thank you all for the kind comments.

My main goal was to taret all players alike. Beginning or Advanced anyone can potentially learn something from new practical and/or technical information.

When I originally wrote this guide, I believe I ALMOST got all of the basic information. I believe I do know I am missing some things and they should be on my to-do list. Also, I am planning on advancing slowly to more advanced principles and possibly segragate them properly.

BTW, thank you TempestasSilva for that pointer about the Kolto Shell. I've seen a post topic about this particular incident about aggro issues and hopefully (need to level faster and slow down on the guide lol) and play with the Shell.
Literofcola
<Coconut Monkeys>
The Crucible Pits

Vasharan
12.22.2011 , 05:07 PM | #13
Good guide but I would like to point out a few things I (constructively) disagree with. You mention that during super charged gas to never use rapid scan, but with talents (forget the name) using healing scan lowers the heat cost of your next rapid scan. With this talent the total cost of healing scan + rapid scan is the same as a single rapid scan. Rapid scan also heals for more so its a efficient idea to follow healing with rapid.

As for the only healing never damaging i again have to disagree and say its more situational. As a lvl 31 ive found my self in many flash points and heroic quests where the tank just isnt taking much damage. While you can sit there and spam rapid shots on your tank you could just as easily hit the mob with those rapids too (and still stack csc). I feel an empty heat bar is wasted potential. Tabing over and hitting an unload is fine when everyone is topped off and you heat is empty. Obviously dont do so much as to impede your ability to heal if a burst of damage come in, but no reason to heal someone who doesnt need it just cus you like green . Again its situational.

djinnerman
12.22.2011 , 05:22 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Vasharan View Post
Good guide but I would like to point out a few things I (constructively) disagree with. You mention that during super charged gas to never use rapid scan, but with talents (forget the name) using healing scan lowers the heat cost of your next rapid scan. With this talent the total cost of healing scan + rapid scan is the same as a single rapid scan. Rapid scan also heals for more so its a efficient idea to follow healing with rapid.
Absolutely. I just recently read somewhere in the talent tree where the Healing Scan will lower your next Rapid Scan by 16 heat making it an equal expenditure but with a more packed punch. I was contemplating in reiterating this point to make it more justifiable in that notion. Thank you so much for reminding me and I will make sure credit is due and duly noted.

Quote: Originally Posted by Vasharan View Post
As for the only healing never damaging i again have to disagree and say its more situational. As a lvl 31 ive found my self in many flash points and heroic quests where the tank just isnt taking much damage. While you can sit there and spam rapid shots on your tank you could just as easily hit the mob with those rapids too (and still stack csc). I feel an empty heat bar is wasted potential. Tabing over and hitting an unload is fine when everyone is topped off and you heat is empty. Obviously dont do so much as to impede your ability to heal if a burst of damage come in, but no reason to heal someone who doesnt need it just cus you like green . Again its situational.
As I mentioned aforetime, that it was situational. This guide is mainly about the idea of healing in general and the focus is to heal. Whatever individuals do afterwards is up to them. However, as you waved that green candy bar around, I admit that my guilty conscience of only seeing green has taken the better of me. As such, the implication of contributing to dps by only rapid shots may indeed help. But as I mentioned before, it also keeps up the so called "HoT" to minimize the usage of casting a Scan. Therefore keeping the target health full without expending any heat in case something goes wrong. But, like you said, situational.

I also understand my role in healing. A dps is a dps as a tank is a tank. If I was to support (unless it was to their discretion) they may object otherwise. There may be times where people may try to throw in a heal or two to help you out but for some reason that kind of irks me. Dunno why. Maybe it feels like I'm not fully doing my job or that individual doesn't have confidence in me? So I stay as a healer and refrain from damage. Part of Group Etiquette if you ask me.

Thank you for your kind comments btw.
Literofcola
<Coconut Monkeys>
The Crucible Pits

Vasharan
12.22.2011 , 05:46 PM | #15
Np, as i said constructive criticism and defiantly a good starting point when your lower level and getting used to the class. My first few groups all i did was heal cus thats how it was done in all the games ive played before. But Its all a mater of play style and the group your in. Ive actually been surprised at the number of times ive joined a heroic quest and wasn''t the only healer in the group. Lots of Sorc running around heh. Still as i said great guide. Lots of good info for healers on this board.

metalfenix
12.23.2011 , 08:46 AM | #16
Awesome guide, should be a sticky on this sub forum. Thanx for your help to this n00b lvl 15 Mercenary Bodyguard.
Koltowolf'Raf Commando Healer / Raf'HiredHealer Mercenary Healer
Rafa-el Scoundrel Healer
Server: The Harbinger

djinnerman
12.23.2011 , 02:54 PM | #17
Hope you all have a very happy holidays.

I will be out of town this weekend, so the chances of updating might be low. If I get a chance to get to it, then you're in luck.

Enjoy the gift of giving, start healing today!

Thank you metalfenix. We shall see if it really is that fitting pertaining to healing!
Literofcola
<Coconut Monkeys>
The Crucible Pits

djinnerman
12.24.2011 , 03:53 PM | #18
**Bump**
Literofcola
<Coconut Monkeys>
The Crucible Pits

Sturon
12.25.2011 , 10:49 AM | #19
Bump.

Sticky Request.

Spade_PK-XLVII
12.25.2011 , 03:43 PM | #20
I'm sorry, i disagree on the portion of doing 'no damage'.

Bodyguard Mercenary is designed to Heal and DPS when able to.
With each passing day, the world finds new and exciting ways to kill a man.