Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Do the devs even play pvp?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Do the devs even play pvp?

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
10.17.2019 , 12:01 PM | #1
Have you guys read the latest “day in the life” of Mara/Sent?

https://www.swtor.com/info/news/article/20191017

Their understanding of this class in pvp just blows my mind.

Seterade's Avatar


Seterade
10.17.2019 , 12:46 PM | #2
No. /5char

yearly reminder https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwsiHUURPTc

snave's Avatar


snave
10.17.2019 , 01:25 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Seterade View Post
No. /5char

yearly reminder https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwsiHUURPTc
Every time someone links that video I feel obliged to say, playing while on stream with hundreds of people watching is different to playing in your bedroom.

Playing while hundreds of people criticise you is also different.

So is playing while someone to your side asks you questions continuously.

Several "top tier" players mentioned how different duelling during a URC tournament was because they felt they pressure from all the eyes on them.

Also, being good at PvP is not a prerequisite to designing PvP. Messi is a great soccer player, should he be running FIFA? Lewis Hamilton is a great driver, should he be designing the engines for F1 cars?

TLDR: That video is stupid and proves nothing other than you're a bell end.

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
10.17.2019 , 01:46 PM | #4
I agree with Snave. Being good at pvp has nothing to do this topic.

The question is, do they understand how the classes work in pvp because I’m starting to doubt the people coming up with these ideas even understand the rotations in pve or resource management, let alone pvp, which adds more complexity to class tactics, resource management and priorities.

Why would any Fury Mara use the combo in that article to launch an attack when it’s essential to build up rage using leap, etc.
This is no disrespect to Dan either. He is obviously being given this sort of bad info from people in Bioware who make this crap up.

Rion_Starkiller's Avatar


Rion_Starkiller
10.17.2019 , 02:06 PM | #5
Yeah, but they really should consider having an actual pvp'er on the dev team. It's as clear as day that there are serious dev raiders these days. With the pvp updates we got this year, it seems unlikely they have any hard core pvp'ers. But I'm glad they tried -- they did far more than any other previous dev team for pvp.
-Beruhl, NiM Space Barbie and Solo Ranked Forum PvP (ง︡'-'︠)ง
(\/)(Ö,,,,Ö)(\/) ¦̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱(̢ ̡͇̅└͇̅┘͇̅ (▤8כ−◦
8 pugs and a grophet i do what i want major league memes can i borrow a stim?

Eastiano's Avatar


Eastiano
10.17.2019 , 02:12 PM | #6
I quite liked the little explanations on that thread, if they play it, I guess they must do, just at a mediocre level
I can’t say anything though as I’m not a great player but I still have fun pvping most of the time so will enjoy testing out the new bonuses/tacs 😁

snave's Avatar


snave
10.17.2019 , 02:13 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
I agree with Snave. Being good at pvp has nothing to do this topic.

The question is, do they understand how the classes work in pvp because I’m starting to doubt the people coming up with these ideas even understand the rotations in pve or resource management, let alone pvp, which adds more complexity to class tactics, resource management and priorities.

Why would any Fury Mara use the combo in that article to launch an attack when it’s essential to build up rage using leap, etc.
This is no disrespect to Dan either. He is obviously being given this sort of bad info from people in Bioware who make this crap up.
That article is literally there to give you the flavour of the class. The amount of over-analysis on these forums is ridiculous.

Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
Yeah, but they really should consider having an actual pvp'er on the dev team. It's as clear as day that there are serious dev raiders these days. With the pvp updates we got this year, it seems pretty clear that they don't have any hard core pvp'ers. But I'm glad they tried -- they did far more than any other dev team for pvp.
Nothing is a clear indicator that they don't PvP. Knowing how to fix a problem and being allowed to change it is not the same thing and if you've worked for a company with more than 3 employees you'll know how much of a problem "red tape" and communication can be.

UltraFlashStar's Avatar


UltraFlashStar
10.17.2019 , 02:23 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
The question is, do they understand how the classes work in pvp because I’m starting to doubt the people coming up with these ideas even understand the rotations in pve or resource management, let alone pvp, which adds more complexity to class tactics, resource management and priorities.

Why would any Fury Mara use the combo in that article to launch an attack when it’s essential to build up rage using leap, etc.
This is no disrespect to Dan either. He is obviously being given this sort of bad info from people in Bioware who make this crap up.
I suspect it has something to do with them coming up what a narrative for the set bonuses and tacticals.

Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
Yeah, but they really should consider having an actual pvp'er on the dev team. It's as clear as day that there are serious dev raiders these days. With the pvp updates we got this year, it seems unlikely they have any hard core pvp'ers. But I'm glad they tried -- they did far more than any other previous dev team for pvp.
To be honest, it is hard to determine whether something posted on class balance is from someone whining or someone's valid opinion. I'm pretty sure in the last 5 months I've seen some Juggs Op, Stealth dps nerfs, and a buff gs.
Coppes Spacer
“Let me play you a sad song on the galaxy’s smallest xantha.”

Rion_Starkiller's Avatar


Rion_Starkiller
10.17.2019 , 02:32 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by snave View Post
Nothing is a clear indicator that they don't PvP. Knowing how to fix a problem and being allowed to change it is not the same thing and if you've worked for a company with more than 3 employees you'll know how much of a problem "red tape" and communication can be.
What are you saying? Is MikeB a hard core pvper? I thought he was some sort of exploit admin.

It doesn't matter, I guess. The pvp community won't be happy with anything BW does, TBH -- more so than other gameplay types.

Quote: Originally Posted by UltraFlashStar View Post

To be honest, it is hard to determine whether something posted on class balance is from someone whining or someone's valid opinion. I'm pretty sure in the last 5 months I've seen some Juggs Op, Stealth dps nerfs, and a buff gs.
Maybe pvp class balance doesn't get as much "weight" as it should compared to PVE & Operations.


Oh well... as long as the 6.0 pvp meta is different, I will be relatively happy. It seems like it will be.
-Beruhl, NiM Space Barbie and Solo Ranked Forum PvP (ง︡'-'︠)ง
(\/)(Ö,,,,Ö)(\/) ¦̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱(̢ ̡͇̅└͇̅┘͇̅ (▤8כ−◦
8 pugs and a grophet i do what i want major league memes can i borrow a stim?

UltraFlashStar's Avatar


UltraFlashStar
10.17.2019 , 02:36 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
The pvp community won't be happy with anything BW does
This is the case for most, if not all, MMOs on the market. Most just leave, complain, or just adapt.
Coppes Spacer
“Let me play you a sad song on the galaxy’s smallest xantha.”