A way to fix snipers

Labradoraki

I would argue that they need to lose the interrupt immunity in cover when the person attempting to interrupt them is in melee range. While I understand making them immune at range (where they should be kings) it bugs me to see them able to cast 4K shots when I am right on top of them because my team frontloaded their resolve bar.

Then you should have killed him in the 4 - 8 seconds he was stunned. If not, I lol'd. Snipers immunity to interrupts are the only way their casting is slightly better than say a sage or sorc. At least Mercs have a bubble to make them uninterruptable, and sorcs dont

ZOMG OP OP OP OP

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't even know how your own abilities work. Stop teaching others.

How is my statement not accurate?

Evasion: Increases your chance to dodge melee and ranged attacks by 100% for 3 seconds. Does not break Stealth.

Entrenched: Entrenches you into cover, becoming immune to all controlling effects. Only usable in cover. Ends prematurely if cover is exited. Lasts 20 seconds.

Only thing I was wrong about is that Entrenched last 20 seconds instead of 15.

Would it have been better if I would have said "Nearly 3 seconds of nearly full immunity" because you can still receive damage from force and AoE attacks? If that is the case, then consider this the amendment.

Edited by TrueDND

let's compare a sniper ability and a sage/sorc ability:

Telekinetic Throw

Instant

Force: 30

Cooldown: 6s

Range: 10 m

Hurls a volley of debris at the target, dealing 4011 kinetic damage and slowing movement speed by 50%. Standard and weak targets are immobilized for the duration.

and

Series of Shots

Instant

Energy: 20

Cooldown: 15s

Range: 30 m

Unleashes a series of shots that deals 3353 - 3736 weapon damage over the duration. Must be in cover to use.

TT has a build in snare, a lower cool down, and since sorcs/sage have nearly unlimited energy, you can say its pretty much free. OH, did i mention TT does more dmg because being tech, it ignores defence while SoS has to pass every single defensive roll... AND best of all, YOU CANT EVEN USE IT OUTSIDE OF COVER!!! :(

The only advantage SoS has is its 20 m range advantage, which is fckin laughable considering the 31 pt talent of the MM tree revolves around this ability, which does less dmg and offers less utility than a lvl 6 sorc/sage spell, how pathetic.

How the hell did the developers overlook such glaring imbalance is beyond me, but something need to be done.

Series of Shots should be made available in AND OUT of cover IMO.

Not only did I not say that cover was "awesome," I also mentioned that I was not saying it was perfect either (which is in the part that you quoted me from). I did say that the advantages that cover gives is already amazing. To people who want to add more things to make cover worthwhile I personal think that is just wrong to ask for when we are already given 3 things that no other class, base or AC, gets in any way, shape, or form. Also, my server does know to use these things and have used them on me on multiple occasions. I still stick with MM and still PvP on my server quite well.

I personally enjoy the Cover mechanic very much and was simply trying to explain that wanting to add more to a mechanic that already gives so much is simply not needed, especially when you pop your Entrench. After popping Entrench, that is 15 seconds that you are immune to everything but damage. Pop Evasion while in Entrenched and you have nearly 3 seconds of full immunity. Not even tanks can do that (only damage immunity). I can feel for the people having problems with cover, and I do sometimes too. I can feel for the ones who don't have Entrench work for them, and I hope that bug gets fixed for those people too. But I really enjoy the Cover mechanic and, in its current state, stand behind its advantages. (Please note how I did NOT say "its functionality" as it has been known to give me grief some times too, but what game doesn't have glitches?)

I think what he is saying is...a simple root should not disallow cover.

If a sniper is not in cover and rooted while not in cover, he can not drop into cover, the root prevents that. Being made immobile and not stunned should not prevent entering into cover. This needs to be fixed I can only imagine this is a bug.

And yes Entrench has failed me more than once I hope it is addressed.

I think what he is saying is...a simple root should not disallow cover.

If a sniper is not in cover and rooted while not in cover, he can not drop into cover, the root prevents that. Being made immobile and not stunned should not prevent entering into cover. This needs to be fixed I can only imagine this is a bug.

And yes Entrench has failed me more than once I hope it is addressed.

And I think that it sucks that Entrenched has failed you. To me, that sounds like an issue that needs to be fixed ASAP. I think Entrenched needs to be fixed for everyone in PvE as well as, although it has never failed me in PvP, I can't even count how many times I have been thrown from Entrenched by PvE mobs.

I also agree about the root issue. I can see both sides of this personally, but all in all, root should not prevent me dropping to a knee. People can argue that dropping to a knee shouldn't prevent a person from being charged as well. I can see that.

My end result of being rooted and not being able to go in to cover is: I believe it is annoying and hope that it is a bug. If it is not a bug, I will learn to deal with it and it will not stop me from playing my class or thinking that cover has too many disadvantages.

How is my statement not accurate?

Evasion: Increases your chance to dodge melee and ranged attacks by 100% for 3 seconds. Does not break Stealth.

Would it have been better if I would have said "Nearly 3 seconds of nearly full immunity" because you can still receive damage from force and AoE attacks? If that is the case, then consider this the amendment.

Evasion is actually just adding 100% to your defense chance (So if you have your base 5% only, you would have 105% with evasion). Which increases your probability to avoid being hit by weapon-based attack. So your dodge is mainly useful against other MM snipers or SS sharpshooters. What an irony, eh? Other classes do have weapon based attacks but not that many. Sorc for example wouldn't notice your evasion at all.

Btw even MM sniper can still hit you while evasion lasts if he have high accuracy rate. I'm destroying agents/smugglers under evasion by simply using +accuracy adrenal when I need to.

Evasion is actually just adding 100% to your defense chance (So if you have your base 5% only, you would have 105% with evasion). Which increases your probability to avoid being hit by weapon-based attack. So your dodge is mainly useful against other MM snipers or SS sharpshooters. What an irony, eh? Other classes do have weapon based attacks but not that many. Sorc for example wouldn't notice your evasion at all.

Btw even MM sniper can still hit you while evasion lasts if he have high accuracy rate. I'm destroying agents/smugglers under evasion by simply using +accuracy adrenal when I need to.

Ok. I will take your word and knowledge on that about Evasion and say I was wrong about that specific skill. Is there another subject I was wrong about?

I don't really think it makes sense for people to complain about Snipers, because Marauder is basically the same as Sniper, but we have to be within four meters of an enemy. Snipers can often kill us while we are trying to get to them, and if we get close, they can knock us back and then stun us and run further away. I have fought Snipers in duels, and even with much worse gear they can beat me, simply by being at a higher elevation, because I can't shoot them or force charge to them.

You're bad at your class.

Hate to say it plainly like that but I've leveled up a 50 gunslinger and I'm currently on a 45 sniper.

If you don't know how to beat anyone coming toward you then you fail. First, cover is OP and amazing. It stops people from jumping on you from afar and if you get solid cover you can even negate damage completely. Do you know how OP that is in PVP? Pretty damn OP.

Guardians? I kite them while keeping them CC'd whenever close with a kick or flash..get them with a snare, vital shot, then start running and mixing up your non energy key with whatevers clever. I just hit cover every few steps for instant casts.

Shadows/Assassins? Same idea. But keep them dotted.

Other GS/Snipers? Kill them quicker then they kill you? lol these fights always seem silly tome.

I could go on but this doesn't deserve any more information then I've already given. Mods should really delete threads that just complain about something that isn't there.