Am I the only one that has noticed this?

Pathera

Okay, I have been playing SWTOR for about 1 1/2 to 2 years. I don't comment on the forums very often, but I have responded to a few threads and created one or two. I have noticed that a few players like to engage in a couple of behaviors that are, well, frankly, rude.

Just to give a couple of examples, if I see someone that had been waiting for an objective to respawn and they have been there longer than I have I wait and let them do the objective first. I try not to steal objectives out from under other players while they are fighting battles. To me this is about courtesy and fair play.

Now I understand that some players are always going to behave this way and this is nothing new on SWTOR. However, for the past couple of days, I have seen a higher level of this type of behavior than usual on the Star Forge Server. I may be wrong, but the timing seems to coincide with SWTOR's new availability on Steam. Is it just a fluke that I have been running into more rude players than usual or have other people been noticing the same thing?

You're not alone. I am constantly having to deal with the 'target' rug being pulled out from under me. There are just some people who like to take advantage of a situation that they see as beneficial to them, and the other people who were there first be damned. I've learned to live with it, but that doesn't mean I like it.

I've noticed a little uptick but not too bad. I try never to steal objectives from people. However, I will take them if I stand there waiting for the person to take it themselves and after waiting several seconds, and whispering to them without response they still don't do it,. I generally assume at that point that the player has left their computer or been disconnected.

One thing I've come to learn is click first then fight, let the mobs beat on you and let your merc deal with them til your done clicking. Sometimes you have to be out of combat to click which sucks and those are usually where they get me.

Okay, I have been playing SWTOR for about 1 1/2 to 2 years. I don't comment on the forums very often, but I have responded to a few threads and created one or two. I have noticed that a few players like to engage in a couple of behaviors that are, well, frankly, rude.

Just to give a couple of examples, if I see someone that had been waiting for an objective to respawn and they have been there longer than I have I wait and let them do the objective first. I try not to steal objectives out from under other players while they are fighting battles. To me this is about courtesy and fair play.

Now I understand that some players are always going to behave this way and this is nothing new on SWTOR. However, for the past couple of days, I have seen a higher level of this type of behavior than usual on the Star Forge Server. I may be wrong, but the timing seems to coincide with SWTOR's new availability on Steam. Is it just a fluke that I have been running into more rude players than usual or have other people been noticing the same thing?

At first I thought you were talking about forum pvp.

I was wondering how long it would take before Steam players went from being the game's saviors [Queue to login? omg!] to the hated underclass who are all rude thieves. A similar thing happened with F2Pers. Not long at all, as it happens.

Objective ninjas have been a thing since forever. If I were to set a date when the rate substantially increased from former levels, it would be after the insta-70 tokens came out. Previously you only saw ninjas on low level planets, Act 1 and under. The long leveling process weeded out anti-social behaviors. Now you see them everywhere, but especially events, dailies and heroics.

I have to admit that I have (as a Rep), just a couple of times, stolen a spawn from an Imperial player, just because, ya know, Rep vs Imp and all that. Especially if it's an evil looking Sith. I would suppose there's some Sith who would do the same to a Republic player. (My main Imperial character is an LS Sith, who wouldn't do that.)

One thing to keep in mind is 'glitches'. I will often 'help' a player kill a boss (even the opposite faction) just because the sooner it dies, the sooner it respawns. I accidently stole a boss this way once, and apologized profusely. (I stuck around in case the other player needed help, but of course, I didn't 'help' again.)

But, I'd have to agree that this is probably just because of the new Steam players. Like in the early days, a lot of people eventually learn that being a [redacted] doesn't pay off in the long run. You can basically end up as a pariah that's on so many ignore lists you have a hard time doing any group stuff. (Sometimes these players are the ones who complain that GF takes so long. 😂 )

Edited by JediQuaker

I have to admit that I have (as a Rep), just a couple of times, stolen a spawn from an Imperial player, just because, ya know, Rep vs Imp and all that. Especially if it's an evil looking Sith. I would suppose there's some Sith who would do the same to a Republic player. (My main Imperial character is an LS Sith, who wouldn't do that.)

One thing to keep in mind is 'glitches'. I will often 'help' a player kill a boss (even the opposite faction) just because the sooner it dies, the sooner it respawns. I accidently stole a boss this way once, and apologized profusely. (I stuck around in case the other player needed help, but of course, I didn't 'help' again.)

But, I'd have to agree that this is probably just because of the new Steam players. Like in the early days, a lot of people eventually learn that being a [redacted] doesn't pay off in the long run. You can basically end up as a pariah that's on so many ignore lists you have a hard time doing any group stuff. (Sometimes these players are the ones who complain that GF takes so long. 😂 )

I also sometimes help people with difficult fights without the expectation of a reward. I have never accidently stolen a boss however. I would feel terrible if I did.

At first I thought you were talking about forum pvp.

I was wondering how long it would take before Steam players went from being the game's saviors [Queue to login? omg!] to the hated underclass who are all rude thieves. A similar thing happened with F2Pers. Not long at all, as it happens.

Objective ninjas have been a thing since forever. If I were to set a date when the rate substantially increased from former levels, it would be after the insta-70 tokens came out. Previously you only saw ninjas on low level planets, Act 1 and under. The long leveling process weeded out anti-social behaviors. Now you see them everywhere, but especially events, dailies and heroics.

I am not trying to call out all of the new players by any means and I am sure some long time players are just as bad. I just wish there was an easier way to encourage polite behavior or, failing that, a way to relegate these players to their own map well away from everyone else. This is easier said than done of course.

One thing I've come to learn is click first then fight, let the mobs beat on you and let your merc deal with them til your done clicking. Sometimes you have to be out of combat to click which sucks and those are usually where they get me.

I do tend to do the objective before fighting the opponents, unfortunately that doesn't always help when waiting for something to respawn.

Edited by Pathera

I started playing in early-mid 2012 and this has been a problem since then. It is also one of the reasons why I almost always have my companion in tank stance. Let them get the agro whilst I click.

In general, I do not steal objectives. If someone is running up to it first I stop and wait for them to get it. I will help kill bosses, for example on CZ-198 I will help whomever is fighting the big droid to get their kill, and anyone else who was there first until my turn comes up, and than after I get my kill I will often wait around and help the next group get their kill regardless of their faction. If there are others of the same faction around I will always try to invite them to group so we can all get the credit. I have even stopped fighting so I can try to invite people to group so they can get the kill if they come up while I am fighting a mob objective.

If there has been an uptick in this I have not really noticed, but I mostly play in higher level areas, daily areas, Onderon, etc., and maybe the Steam peeps have not yet arrived.

there may be more, but I don't think it's a higher percentage. In every barrel of apples, you can get a bad one, the bigger the barrel, the more bad apples. Percentage wise, it's the same amount of spoilage, it just seems more.

I tend to agree with this. I think that there is an uptick of bad behavior, but I don't think it is the result of a higher percentage of bad apples. It is just that there are more people.

I started playing in early-mid 2012 and this has been a problem since then. It is also one of the reasons why I almost always have my companion in tank stance. Let them get the agro whilst I click.

In general, I do not steal objectives. If someone is running up to it first I stop and wait for them to get it. I will help kill bosses, for example on CZ-198 I will help whomever is fighting the big droid to get their kill, and anyone else who was there first until my turn comes up, and than after I get my kill I will often wait around and help the next group get their kill regardless of their faction. If there are others of the same faction around I will always try to invite them to group so we can all get the credit. I have even stopped fighting so I can try to invite people to group so they can get the kill if they come up while I am fighting a mob objective.

If there has been an uptick in this I have not really noticed, but I mostly play in higher level areas, daily areas, Onderon, etc., and maybe the Steam peeps have not yet arrived.

Hopefully, most of the objective ninjas will have gotten bored and left by then and the decent Steam based players will be the only ones still playing.

I think that you may be right about it being a side effect of the Steam launch. You may very well have people from other MMO experiences join in and perpetuating whatever was "normal" on those other games for all we know. I can't say however that I've had similar experiences on my server (Darth Malgus).

I think that you may be right about it being a side effect of the Steam launch. You may very well have people from other MMO experiences join in and perpetuating whatever was "normal" on those other games for all we know. I can't say however that I've had similar experiences on my server (Darth Malgus).

It happens every time the population increases, when we went F2P, we had a bit of an explosion, when new stuff came out, and we had increased numbers, even when the lockdown started, we had extra (although numbers had already started to increase), and now with steam. It's just a mixture of bad people, new people who don't realise that by them clicking it, it locks out others (as some items in other mmo's can be clicked by multiple people without a despawn) or other reasons. But it always subsides, as people learn, and/or the bad apples leave.

Btw, here's a tip that's helped me in some situations like in Ossus dailies waiting for spawns, trying to beat the Imps to it. (Even if it's 'your turn', you might have to beat someone to the spawn.)

If you right-click on an enemy, it performs the skill in the first slot of skillbar #1. It helps if that skill is an insta-cast (in my case, usually an interrupt).

Then just hover the cursor over the spawn location (close counts) and keep clicking the right mouse button.

Btw, here's a tip that's helped me in some situations like in Ossus dailies waiting for spawns, trying to beat the Imps to it. (Even if it's 'your turn', you might have to beat someone to the spawn.)

If you right-click on an enemy, it performs the skill in the first slot of skillbar #1. It helps if that skill is an insta-cast (in my case, usually an interrupt).

Then just hover the cursor over the spawn location (close counts) and keep clicking the right mouse button.

I usually have my quickest attack on 1, and just spam the **** out of it...lol, Mostly works...lol

I usually have my quickest attack on 1, and just spam the **** out of it...lol, Mostly works...lol

Yes, spamming any attack that auto-targets also works, but I find that right-click acts faster. (It could, of course, just be a matter of perception rather than reality. 🙂 )

The good news is, all these new players spawn new map instances. Flip maps.

And most new players don't know about switching maps. I was on Corsucant the other day, doing the one heroic and there were 5-6 players running around killing the mobs to get the key. I just stopped switch to another instance and not one person there. I got the key and even did the bonus to kill the 15 before going into the instance, which sometimes I skip because of everyone trying to get the key.

I know on wow if you attack a mob or boss that someone else is attacking, everyone that attacks them gets credit and is able to loot the boss/objective as well.

A lot of times on the uninstanced bosses and such, if more than one person is waiting I'll invite to group such as the droid on CZ-198 or the possessed hunter on DK, and it works a lot of the time. Not every time of course, but enough to be helpful. Edited by TheGreyRanger

Yes, spamming any attack that auto-targets also works, but I find that right-click acts faster. (It could, of course, just be a matter of perception rather than reality. 🙂 )

It might be, but I've arthritis in my hands, so hitting the (number 1 ) button is easier for me...lol

Edited by DarkTergon

And most new players don't know about switching maps. I was on Corsucant the other day, doing the one heroic and there were 5-6 players running around killing the mobs to get the key. I just stopped switch to another instance and not one person there. I got the key and even did the bonus to kill the 15 before going into the instance, which sometimes I skip because of everyone trying to get the key.

Face Merchants?