Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Possibility of Solo Operations?


olagatonjedi's Avatar


olagatonjedi
02.24.2018 , 04:24 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by PorsaLindahl View Post
I think you guys (psandak & olagatonjedi) may be partially right in your assessments. But another contributing factor (and I feel this is the major factor) is the attitude of gamers in the last few years (I'd even go as far as to say the last 10 years in some cases). Other games have had / still have their group oriented activities, along with solo activities. The ones I've played (and there have been many) never had such an outcry to have their raids reduced to such a state that they could be soloed.

If someone were to suggest to Blizzard that they make Icecrown Citadel available for solo play, that person would be laughed at and ridiculed. If someone were to suggest to ArenaNet that they make a WvWvW available for solo play, they would be laughed at and ridiculed. The same with other games.

Players are becoming lazy and antisocial. That's what it's boiling down to. They no longer only seek a quick route to the "end." Now they want a quick and easy route to the "end."

Then they toss out the ubiquitous statement "I want completion." Guess what?
  • You're not going to get completion doing a solo operation because the achievements are for 8-man and 16-man.
  • You're not going to get completion for solo PvP because the achievements are from defeating other players.
  • You're not going to get those flashpoint trophies for your stronghold deco because the achievements for them aren't available for solo mode.

Crawl out from under your rocks and become an active member* of the gaming community and not just some forum troll begging for the devs to cater to your antisocial gaming attitude. That's what console and single player PC games are for.


* noun
1. a person, animal, plant, group, etc., that is part of a society, party, community, taxon, or other body.
I think you're overgeneralizing about the intentions of players. However, if the overall mentality is to get stuff done as fast as possible, there are certainly a multitude of valid reasons that vary from person to person, but im likely to believe its not primarily because people are lazy.

PorsaLindahl's Avatar


PorsaLindahl
02.24.2018 , 05:49 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
I think you're overgeneralizing about the intentions of players. However, if the overall mentality is to get stuff done as fast as possible, there are certainly a multitude of valid reasons that vary from person to person, but im likely to believe its not primarily because people are lazy.
You misunderstood my post. I use lazy in the sense that they want the "rewards" without having to do the requirements for those "rewards." Which is something that every player that already has those "rewards" has done. Not that they're trying to be "power-gamers" and rushing through content (which I think is what you were getting from my post). There is a difference. They want things like achievements, but aren't willing to spend the time, or effort, to get those achievements. They're almost always looking for a short cut way to get them. The next thing they'll be asking for is the Manhunter title to be available for direct purchase so they can wear it on their BH's and feel uber or on some scantily dressed character that they want to RP as some cantina skank that's only interested in rich guys.

olagatonjedi's Avatar


olagatonjedi
02.24.2018 , 07:16 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by PorsaLindahl View Post
They want things like achievements, but aren't willing to spend the time, or effort, to get those achievements.
Or they just dont have the same opportunities that others do. They may be willing to spend the time, just not all in one sitting. They may be willing to put forth the effort, but not have anyone around them to join. Im saying that should not be held against them. I dont think people are necessarily looking for the easiest path, but more an alternate path to achieve the same things, based on their individualized playstyle, playtime, schedule, effort, commitment, etc.

LordTurin's Avatar


LordTurin
02.24.2018 , 07:36 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
Or they just dont have the same opportunities that others do. They may be willing to spend the time, just not all in one sitting. They may be willing to put forth the effort, but not have anyone around them to join. Im saying that should not be held against them. I dont think people are necessarily looking for the easiest path, but more an alternate path to achieve the same things, based on their individualized playstyle, playtime, schedule, effort, commitment, etc.
Then they shouldn't get the achievement. I don't have the time to go kill 1000 Killiks on alderaan, but that doesn't mean I should get the achievement for doing so.

If it's achievements that are the issue, it's absolutely nuts to suggest someone should get an achievement without doing the content. Heck, even if they have us solo ops, you still won't get the 8 or 16man achievements.

If it's for story, there is literally 2 minutes of cutscenes from the ops. Go hop on YouTube and you can see the story. Or just be polite and explain to a group doing it when it's the gf daily that it's your first time but you'd like to join. Very few would have a problem with that.
Dragonslayer Mitthendil the Revanchist - Mercenary ||
Mitth'raw'nurudo from Beyond - Powertech || Elenmil the Revanchist - Scoundrel
Click this to say thank you if my post was helpful! :
http://www.swtor.com/r/lGKMGB

olagatonjedi's Avatar


olagatonjedi
02.24.2018 , 09:01 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by LordTurin View Post
Then they shouldn't get the achievement. I don't have the time to go kill 1000 Killiks on alderaan, but that doesn't mean I should get the achievement for doing so.

If it's achievements that are the issue, it's absolutely nuts to suggest someone should get an achievement without doing the content. Heck, even if they have us solo ops, you still won't get the 8 or 16man achievements.

If it's for story, there is literally 2 minutes of cutscenes from the ops. Go hop on YouTube and you can see the story. Or just be polite and explain to a group doing it when it's the gf daily that it's your first time but you'd like to join. Very few would have a problem with that.
You have the option to kill 1000 killiks regardless of whether you want to because its a soloable achievemwnt. You're comparison actually shows that they have already included the solo crowd in some aspects of the achievement game, why not in all of them? Perhaps an overall ops achievement vs having an 8 or 16m version?

LordTurin's Avatar


LordTurin
02.24.2018 , 09:30 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
You have the option to kill 1000 killiks regardless of whether you want to because its a soloable achievemwnt. You're comparison actually shows that they have already included the solo crowd in some aspects of the achievement game, why not in all of them? Perhaps an overall ops achievement vs having an 8 or 16m version?
And you have the option to join a 16m said.

I mean geeze, should PvP achievements be soloable? It's the same thing, you just don't want to and that's fine, but then you shouldn't get the achievement.
Dragonslayer Mitthendil the Revanchist - Mercenary ||
Mitth'raw'nurudo from Beyond - Powertech || Elenmil the Revanchist - Scoundrel
Click this to say thank you if my post was helpful! :
http://www.swtor.com/r/lGKMGB

olagatonjedi's Avatar


olagatonjedi
02.24.2018 , 09:41 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by LordTurin View Post
And you have the option to join a 16m said.
Wrong. If nobody else wishes to join, which I have no control over, then I dont have the option. I thought I went over that part already. Nothing is guaranteed to anyone except what they themselves can bring to the game.

Opiklo's Avatar


Opiklo
02.24.2018 , 11:46 PM | #38
yeah lets give rewards to everybody regardless of the effort put in it.....

will the brontes wings be mailed to me?
will there be a lvl 1 revanchist token?
and will the titan 6 mount be available for 1k credits at a npc vendor?

seriously if you want achievements do stuff required for achievements....
Loveskephess Legacy on Satele Shan (Team Schranke)
Neidmeer / Alpentraumpilger / Cartel Market Warlordz on Tulak Hord

LordTurin's Avatar


LordTurin
02.25.2018 , 07:14 AM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
Wrong. If nobody else wishes to join, which I have no control over, then I dont have the option. I thought I went over that part already. Nothing is guaranteed to anyone except what they themselves can bring to the game.
If 20 other people walked into the Killik den and kill all the Killiks, then I don't have the ability to kill the Killiks and get 1000 kills. If I'm too lazy to spend 5 hours killing Killiks, then I'm not gonna kill the Killiks. Both have the same outcome, and both mean I'm not gonna get the achievement. Your excuses for ops mean the exact same thing at the end of the day, you just aren't willing to point the effort in to get the achievement.
Dragonslayer Mitthendil the Revanchist - Mercenary ||
Mitth'raw'nurudo from Beyond - Powertech || Elenmil the Revanchist - Scoundrel
Click this to say thank you if my post was helpful! :
http://www.swtor.com/r/lGKMGB

Yeastman's Avatar


Yeastman
02.25.2018 , 09:47 AM | #40
/signed

To respond to the OP, I would love the option. Given that its effectively recycling content, it seems the ROI for bioware would be acceptable here; minimal work for additional content to retain player base. Of course that's from an outsider's speculative point of view on workload; perhaps its really not cost effective - hard to say.

I would think it would mean cutting content (removing some fights, etc) and leaving story/ambiance only for the solo crowd, which is fine, the 8+man ops should be more distinct anyways. Clearly the rewards would need to be appropriate to solo play, probably centered around just seeing the story and nothing more.

Its a good idea that would provide additional gameplay to the often non-vocal majority, if its economically possible to pull off.