Solo

TonyTricicolo

F the haters! Solo was a very enjoyable film. Far surpasses the new trilogy. Star Wars still has hope....

Agreed.

This was the Star Wars film I was looking for after ANH and Empire.

My 10 years old self came out and wouldn't stop grinning while watching Solo.

The focus on the glow stick swingers and their hokey religion kinda ruined Star Wars for me.

Edited by Mubrak

Yeah I liked the solo movie too, minus Emilia Clarke. Never liked her in any movie. But I did like what I saw at the end that made me happy, not going to say what it was incase people are going to watch the movie. Edited by Swook
more to write

Well, I guess I'm gonna be the first voice of dissension in this thread. I'm glad you guys enjoyed the movie, I wish I could've said the same.

My biggest bone of contention is the casting of Alden Ehrenreich as Han Solo. To me, he doesn't look like Han, doesn't sound like Han and after loving Han Solo for 41 years, being expected to accept Ehrenreich is a bitter pill I can't swallow.

Seeing that guy's mug just takes me right out of the movie, it actually angers me. He irritates the daylights out of me. He might be a fine enough actor in other roles, though I didn't think so about his part in Beautiful Creatures which is the only other thing I've seen him in. He is the most glaring miscast of any movie of all time. Han Solo deserved better. I'm firmly in Anthony Ingruber's camp, as I believe he should've been cast as Han and for me that would've made the movie better.

The movie's plot was predictable because we knew most things about Han, there was little tension to the scenes and most stuff could be seen coming a mile away.

In terms of the cast, I had no issues with Emilia Clarke, I think she takes way too much flak because I think she's lovely and charming and quite dazzling. It's a shame the writers didn't flesh out her part beyond 'eye candy' simply by letting her imply she'd done unsavory things, rather than letting us know or see the sort of things she had to do. I think she was a wonderful part of the movie and lit up the screen with her presence. I enjoyed her.

I also liked Woody's character, Beckett, but sadly he's just like every other Woody 'mentor' character. He seemed like Haymitch so often I thought I was watching a new Hunger Games. I liked his love interest played by Thandie Newton--she's a favorite of mine on Westworld.

I also liked Paul Bettany, it was interesting seeing him as a villain, but I think he could've been a bit more menacing. Lando was fine too, in fact he did a better job Lando-ing than Ehrenreich did Han-ing.

I have to say overall the defining plot points were stupid and disappointing, like how Han acquired his last name. I also hated how they tried to force recall to good moments in TESB, like that awkward kiss he tried to have with Qi'ra on the Falcon. It just reeked of a cheap rip off from the Han/Leia moment with Harrison and Carrie. It was painful to watch. I hated how they ripped off the soundtrack form the original movies to try and force a feeling of fond remembrance. All that did was piss me off.

I was also irritated by the Millenium Falcon too, as it didn't look right for 3/4's of the movie, which turned out to be a plot point but still, it's like, they screwed up Han, his ship...thank god Chewie was still decent.

Also, the feminazi droid wailing on about droid rights was irritating and instead of being sad about its fate, I was glad...and I say that as a proud liberal feminist and star wars fan. I just hope if they do the unthinkable and make a sequel to this travesty that they'll have the good sense not to have the damn droid yacking as the MF's voice. I swear if that happened they'd need to shoot out its voice modulator.

The final big deal appearance at the very end, to me was completely stupid. I don't care what the cartoons have made canon that character died when

he was cut in half by Obiwan after Quigon died. No one survives that.

All I have to say is thank the maker I didn't spend my money on this horrible joke of a movie and I hope the powers that be sit up and take notice, that you don't disregard fans, treat them like they're rubbish and like their opinions don't matter.

There is no need to bring in social justice politics into an 'escape' film, where I just want to have a really good time on a fun adventure without having reality's awfulness and inequity shoved into my face.

The Force is not FEMALE. The Force is the Force, it's for EVERYONE and the sooner the makers realize this and stop pandering to SJW, the more money they'll make. Nowhere in any of the other movies were real-life social issues crammed into our face.

And for the love of all that is holy get rid of EHRENRIECH. He sucks.

Edited by Lunafox

Don't plan on seeing it (at least in cinema) out of the principle of not giving any more money to Disney for the direction they've taken. It aches the heart of the kid inside of me, but I stand by it. Although it still pissed me off tremendously when some douchebag found it necessary to spoil the ending (which sounded 'meh' to me) in game chat last night.

My biggest bone of contention is the casting of Alden Ehrenreich as Han Solo.

[...]

In terms of the cast, I had no issues with Emilia Clarke, I think she takes way too much flak because I think she's lovely and charming and quite dazzling. It's a shame the writers didn't flesh out her part beyond 'eye candy' simply by letting her imply she'd done unsavory things, rather than letting us know or see the sort of things she had to do.

Do we really need to see it, though? She was caught by the gang, now she's second in command, wearing the boss's brand, and the way he casually touches her leaves little doubt as to how she managed to come through.

So apart from the femnazi droid abolitionist (which seemed to me more like making fun of the SJW trend), and the main actor you really dislike, the movie was fine? ;)

I mean come on, you can't expect deep plots from this franchise, it started as an entertaining space opera featuring a gangland setting with weird looking folks. After Empire, GL figured feral teddy bears would sell even more toys so we got 3 movies featuring them, and then came pearls like The Childlike Empress vs.The French, The lad who doesn't like sand, and lately Action Girl and the Grinch.

Edited by Mubrak

Also, the feminazi droid wailing on about droid rights was irritating and instead of being sad about its fate, I was glad...and I say that as a proud liberal feminist and star wars fan.

I thought the whole droid-rights / Spartacus / "Workers of the world unite! The only thing you have to lose is your chains!" thing was *hilarious*.(1)

Out of place in a Star Wars film, for sure, but hilarious.

I was a little disturbed by one thing, though. See spoiler.

Lando Calrissian cheats at cards. Very disappointed. Bad dude.

(1) Not "laughing out loud disturbing all the other 30 people(2) in the cinema" hilarious, but hilarious nonetheless.

(2) I went to see the VOSTF(3) showing at 9:55pm on a Saturday. Not the most attractive option where I live.(4)

(3) Version originale sous-titrée en français. That is, the English-language sound with subtitles in French. As opposed to the "VF", version française, dubbed into French.

(4) I live in France.

EDIT: In the scenes with Alien Turkey Gobble IV dialogue, the film-makers provided yellow subtitles in English. There were then white French subtitles under them. Yes. The subtitles had subtitles.

Edited by SteveTheCynic

I thought the droid was hilarious and I typically despise/can't stand all the SJW garbage.

I guess when you don't take life serious and recognize this is just a movie, you can enjoy it for what it is and don't have to try and find any hidden social meaning or w/e.

Solo was a great popcorn flick. I was entertained - but ultimately this is a very much a "one-and-done" type of film for me. Unlike TFA and even TLJ I have no desire to see it again. It felt shallow as an actual movie and definitely had the "this is just a summer flick" feel - instead of a proper installment to deepen the lore of star wars.

Do we really need to see it, though? She was caught by the gang, now she's second in command, wearing the boss's brand, and the way he casually touches her leaves little doubt as to how she managed to come through.

So apart from the femnazi droid abolitionist (which seemed to me more like making fun of the SJW trend), and the main actor you really dislike, the movie was fine? ;)

I mean come on, you can't expect deep plots from this franchise, it started as an entertaining space opera featuring a gangland setting with weird looking folks. After Empire, GL figured feral teddy bears would sell even more toys so we got 3 movies featuring them, and then came pearls like The Childlike Empress vs.The French, The lad who doesn't like sand, and lately Action Girl and the Grinch.

Well, yeah, I gathered that much, but I would've enjoyed to get more of an idea of what she's done, what was so unforgivable, but that's just me, I guess. The movie was mediocre, and they should've been ashamed to put the Star Wars brand on it. If it was just 'Joe Blow in Space' it was still mediocre but would've been less maddening than putting Han's name on Ehrenreich. It's how I managed to get through most of it, by mentally trying to fool myself I was watching something other than Star Wars and that the main role was anyone but Han. Hard to do every time he showed up, it took me right out and reminded me...oh yeah, this is supposed to be Star Wars and that's supposed to be Han. Pffft.

I was a lot younger when the whole ewok thing was a thing...I suppose I've matured since then, but the ewoks were still funny and cute in their own way.

I thought the whole droid-rights / Spartacus / "Workers of the world unite! The only thing you have to lose is your chains!" thing was *hilarious*.(1)

Out of place in a Star Wars film, for sure, but hilarious.

I was a little disturbed by one thing, though. See spoiler.

Lando Calrissian cheats at cards. Very disappointed. Bad dude.

(1) Not "laughing out loud disturbing all the other 30 people(2) in the cinema" hilarious, but hilarious nonetheless.

(2) I went to see the VOSTF(3) showing at 9:55pm on a Saturday. Not the most attractive option where I live.(4)

(3) Version originale sous-titrée en français. That is, the English-language sound with subtitles in French. As opposed to the "VF", version française, dubbed into French.

(4) I live in France.

EDIT: In the scenes with Alien Turkey Gobble IV dialogue, the film-makers provided yellow subtitles in English. There were then white French subtitles under them. Yes. The subtitles had subtitles.

That's the thing...there was 'so much out of place' in the movie. And yes, I share your disappointment about Lando. That irked me too.

I'm just grateful I didn't have to contend with subtitles for subtitles.

Edited by Lunafox

F the haters! Solo was a very enjoyable film. Far surpasses the new trilogy. Star Wars still has hope....

Agreed.

I find it strange that with the recent cinematic revival of the Star Wars franchise it's been the non-jedi focused content I've enjoyed the most.

As a mature fan I grew up with the original trilogy. Han Solo, Chewbacca and the Millenium Falcon formed the foundation of Star War's appeal to me. The prequels never quite hit the mark for me, at the time I put it down to over reliance on cgi, poor scriptwriting, bad directing, wooden actors, bloated films, and knowing what's going to happen in the end.

Then I saw The Force Awakens and realised just how much I'd missed Han, Chewie and the Falcon.

Rogue One just made me realise how much more the Star Wars universe has to offer, yet another film that you know the ending to, but handled with such a flourish that the last 5 minutes of the film make it more a Darth Vader film than any of the prequels.

Solo is a solid entry in the Star Wars franchise, with some of the best acting and characters I've seen in a Star Wars film.

To each his/her own.

I watched the movie yesterday and it was absolutely horrible. Even worse then VII and VIII. I think this was the first time I gave a movie only 1 star on IMDB. Not even Bikini Spring Break got only 1 star from me. I gave it a second pity star.

The only new movie I kinda like is Rogue One.

I liked it a lot, I thought is was a great movie :jawa_tongue:

I saw it last week, and I agree.... I liked it a lot to. It has plenty of plot twists and double and triple crosses to go along with all the action... and THAT is so Star Wars and very much fits with the world Han grew up in.

In particular... Solo provides a context backstory for Han and Chewie, as well as setting the stage for a follow-up episode to deal with a new set of antagonists.

Well done. But I can see where traditional two dimensional fan thought processes would have trouble with this movie.

It was an amazing movie. Alden Ehrenreich surprised me as Han Solo, and for me, he stole the film. Childish Landino was great, the new Chewbacca was great, Q’ira was great.

Darth Freaking Maul. Darth Maul. Yeah. Is it wrong that I always cheer for the bad guy in Star Wars settings?

They should of used Anthony Ingruber instead of Alden Ehrenreich, at least Anthony looks like a young Harrison Ford unlike Alden.

Edited by RaithHarth

They should of used Anthony Ingruber instead of Alden Ehrenreich, at least Anthony looks like a young Harrison Ford unlike Alden.

That would have made a world of difference. I would've totally loved that, it would've been perfect.:)

Well, I guess I'm gonna be the first voice of dissension in this thread. I'm glad you guys enjoyed the movie, I wish I could've said the same.

My biggest bone of contention is the casting of Alden Ehrenreich as Han Solo. To me, he doesn't look like Han, doesn't sound like Han and after loving Han Solo for 41 years, being expected to accept Ehrenreich is a bitter pill I can't swallow.

Seeing that guy's mug just takes me right out of the movie, it actually angers me. He irritates the daylights out of me. He might be a fine enough actor in other roles, though I didn't think so about his part in Beautiful Creatures which is the only other thing I've seen him in. He is the most glaring miscast of any movie of all time. Han Solo deserved better. I'm firmly in Anthony Ingruber's camp, as I believe he should've been cast as Han and for me that would've made the movie better.

The movie's plot was predictable because we knew most things about Han, there was little tension to the scenes and most stuff could be seen coming a mile away.

In terms of the cast, I had no issues with Emilia Clarke, I think she takes way too much flak because I think she's lovely and charming and quite dazzling. It's a shame the writers didn't flesh out her part beyond 'eye candy' simply by letting her imply she'd done unsavory things, rather than letting us know or see the sort of things she had to do. I think she was a wonderful part of the movie and lit up the screen with her presence. I enjoyed her.

I also liked Woody's character, Beckett, but sadly he's just like every other Woody 'mentor' character. He seemed like Haymitch so often I thought I was watching a new Hunger Games. I liked his love interest played by Thandie Newton--she's a favorite of mine on Westworld.

I also liked Paul Bettany, it was interesting seeing him as a villain, but I think he could've been a bit more menacing. Lando was fine too, in fact he did a better job Lando-ing than Ehrenreich did Han-ing.

I have to say overall the defining plot points were stupid and disappointing, like how Han acquired his last name. I also hated how they tried to force recall to good moments in TESB, like that awkward kiss he tried to have with Qi'ra on the Falcon. It just reeked of a cheap rip off from the Han/Leia moment with Harrison and Carrie. It was painful to watch. I hated how they ripped off the soundtrack form the original movies to try and force a feeling of fond remembrance. All that did was piss me off.

I was also irritated by the Millenium Falcon too, as it didn't look right for 3/4's of the movie, which turned out to be a plot point but still, it's like, they screwed up Han, his ship...thank god Chewie was still decent.

Also, the feminazi droid wailing on about droid rights was irritating and instead of being sad about its fate, I was glad...and I say that as a proud liberal feminist and star wars fan. I just hope if they do the unthinkable and make a sequel to this travesty that they'll have the good sense not to have the damn droid yacking as the MF's voice. I swear if that happened they'd need to shoot out its voice modulator.

The final big deal appearance at the very end, to me was completely stupid. I don't care what the cartoons have made canon that character died when

he was cut in half by Obiwan after Quigon died. No one survives that.

All I have to say is thank the maker I didn't spend my money on this horrible joke of a movie and I hope the powers that be sit up and take notice, that you don't disregard fans, treat them like they're rubbish and like their opinions don't matter.

There is no need to bring in social justice politics into an 'escape' film, where I just want to have a really good time on a fun adventure without having reality's awfulness and inequity shoved into my face.

The Force is not FEMALE. The Force is the Force, it's for EVERYONE and the sooner the makers realize this and stop pandering to SJW, the more money they'll make. Nowhere in any of the other movies were real-life social issues crammed into our face.

And for the love of all that is holy get rid of EHRENRIECH. He sucks.

This was a great review of the movie you ought to go into the movie review business. Very entertaining. Makes me want to see the movie just to see how accurate your review is, I am betting it's spot on. :)

This was a great review of the movie you ought to go into the movie review business. Very entertaining. Makes me want to see the movie just to see how accurate your review is, I am betting it's spot on. :)

Haha, glad you enjoyed the review. I'm flattered that you think I should actually review movies. If you do end up seeing it, let me know what you thought, and if I was close. Of course, the entire purpose of my review was to make people stay away in droves, but it seems to be having the opposite effect--it's making people more curious lol. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I can't say I hated Alden, but I can say I felt he wasn't the right cast for the part. For one thing, he's 4 inches shorter than Harrison and they did not fix that fact in the movie.

What's next? A 5'9 Leia?

Back to Alden as Han, I get what they were going for, this is Han going from kinda cheery to the personality we knew and loved. However, what got pointed out, and what made me nod, by someone else, was if they were going to do that, they should've gone with a younger Han.

I hated Nest. I never went about looking up the cast or looking at Solo info, so I never knew Nest was being played by a female. However, the surprise of it, wasn't a surprise. It happened and it didn't feel like a big reveal or surprise at all.

What was a surprise, was how Han, who just had his crew and new friends killed by this Nest, quickly teams up with her. Reminded me of how all the big baddies in Suicide Squad were all "We're family!" when they were together for, at most, a day.

It was dumb writing imo.

Hated Lady Proxima. I would've made her human or a human-esque alien.

I feel L3 would've played over better with the audiences, if it wasn't for all the recent PC non-sense going around. If it wasn't for all the current non-sense, I feel people would've seen it as either a funny or not funny gag. Instead it just got more backlash.

Never felt Lando had any love feelings for L3, but I enjoyed that the droid thought there was something there. I did feel Lando cared for L3 as a dear friend though. Just as Luke cares for R2 and 3PO.

Enjoyed Beckett, but like Lunafox said, I thought he played a lot like Hunger Games SW Edition! If only Han had learned the gunslinging tricks :)

Hated how Han go the name Solo. I saw nothing wrong with them just going, "Last name?" "Solo." "Okay." This is a galaxy far far away, with people with the last name Skywalker. I never once felt like Solo couldn't have been a family name.

Funny thing watching the movie, was I saw the Falcon and I was all "Something is off! OMG! What did they do to the Falcon? It wasn't filled in before, right?!" Then the escape pod happened and I was all "Okay! I wasn't remembering it wrong at all!"

Loved hearing Han speak wookie though :)

Over all, I felt the movie was okay. I thought it was on par with Rogue One. However, Rogue One didn't have to live through a lot of the backlash Solo has

Was there things I'd have done differently with the benefit of hindsight? Of course! But, to be fair, I'm pretty sure we could say that of all the films. Especially those Special Editions! :)

What was a surprise, was how Han, who just had his crew and new friends killed by this Nest, quickly teams up with her. Reminded me of how all the big baddies in Suicide Squad were all "We're family!" when they were together for, at most, a day.

It was dumb writing imo.

You mean like how Han takes off with his cash in Episode IV and suddenly comes back to save the day in the middle of a warzone and then wants to leave again in Ep V and ends up being a general in Ep VI?

You mean like how Han takes off with his cash in Episode IV and suddenly comes back to save the day in the middle of a warzone and then wants to leave again in Ep V and ends up being a general in Ep VI?

The "comes back to save the day" thing is foreshadowed fairly strongly in Han's response to Chewbacca after Luke leaves them to go find his fighter, especially since Chewie's remark isn't subtitled, so we don't know what his complaint was. The exchange might easily be:

* Chewie: You idiot, what do you think you're doing going off to shadow them on this attack?

* Han: I know what I'm doing.

The "comes back to save the day" thing is foreshadowed fairly strongly in Han's response to Chewbacca after Luke leaves them to go find his fighter, especially since Chewie's remark isn't subtitled, so we don't know what his complaint was. The exchange might easily be:

* Chewie: You idiot, what do you think you're doing going off to shadow them on this attack?

* Han: I know what I'm doing.

Well I don't think it's actually bad writing but I wanted to demonstrate that he's being inconsistent in his judgment about Han Solo...at least in my view.

Well I don't think it's actually bad writing but I wanted to demonstrate that he's being inconsistent in his judgment about Han Solo...at least in my view.

Two different things.

Taking his cash and coming back to help in the fight the Empire, is different than automatically teaming with those who's goal was to kill you and your team if you got in the way.

Not to mention, he could have easily saved the day and then taken that reward to Jabba. Helping those who murdered his crew/friends because "Oh. You just kill anyone and everyone who gets in your way, because you're part of a rebellion." does not seem forgiveness worthy to me. :p

Two different things.

Taking his cash and coming back to help in the fight the Empire, is different than automatically teaming with those who's goal was to kill you and your team if you got in the way.

Not to mention, he could have easily saved the day and then taken that reward to Jabba. Helping those who murdered his crew/friends because "Oh. You just kill anyone and everyone who gets in your way, because you're part of a rebellion." does not seem forgiveness worthy to me. :p

Weeeeeell, I don't think they're that different. The events are different, that I agree with but this is about his character. He's the roguish character that when needed shoots first but when it involves a woman and a good cause, well....things change.

I do believe in both Solo and Ep IV-VI it involved a woman and a good cause in the end. And that's where I see the similarity.