Credit Packs

Ylliarus

Today some posters made me realise, that the current credit sink that crafting has become is the ideal environment for gold sellers and spammers to do their business. These however, have been a menace ingame for the longest time, spamming and shouting even whispering people with their offers and sites. So I thought, what could Bioware do to put them out of business and I came up with the following: Credit Packs.

I believe that Guild Wars 2 employs a system like this, where you can use their equivalent of Cartel Coins on buying ingame currency, which I believe consists of gold, silver and copper pieces? I only played the game for a little while, so I hope a more frequent player of GW2 can correct me if I am wrong!

But basically, if Bioware themselves started selling credits on the Cartel Market, that would put the credit sellers out of business. We could have various packs, for example 100 CC being 1 million credits, 1000 CC being 10 million credits and so on and so forth. These are of course numbers that I thought up on the spot, so naturally, feel free to suggest fairer rates! But either way, I believe a system like this would be a huge blow against the credit sellers and spammers, as Bioware would simply become the legitimate credit seller for their own game.

Would this idea work? Or is it a really bad suggestion?

I believe that Guild Wars 2 employs a system like this, where you can use their equivalent of Cartel Coins on buying ingame currency, which I believe consists of gold, silver and copper pieces? I only played the game for a little while, so I hope a more frequent player of GW2 can correct me if I am wrong!

The details of the equivalent of credits are just that, details, and largely neither here nor there. (100 copper = 1 silver, 100 silver = 1 gold, for what it's worth)

But yes, you can exchange "gems" => gold or gold => gems.

But basically, if Bioware themselves started selling credits on the Cartel Market, that would put the credit sellers out of business.

No chance it would put them out of business. There are gold-spammers in GW2 even now.

The problem is that the gold-sellers (where "gold" is a coded phrase for "the main in-game player-to-player currency", whether that's credits, gold/silver/copper, gold, platinum/gold, Pax Romana, Energy Credits(1) or whatever) will be able to undercut any €$£ => credits price that BioWare / EA would think was reasonable.

And in any event, a direct *one-way* CC=>credits exchange would be counter-productive, since it would counteract the addition of credit sinks.

(1) Kudos to someone who can name one game for each of those currencies. (Self-evidently, I can, but I'm not participating in the challenge. Double-kudos for someone who can identify a game whose currency is "Kamas".)

The problem is that the gold-sellers (where "gold" is a coded phrase for "the main in-game player-to-player currency", whether that's credits, gold/silver/copper, gold, platinum/gold, Pax Romana, Energy Credits(1) or whatever) will be able to undercut any €$£ => credits price that BioWare / EA would think was reasonable.

And in any event, a direct *one-way* CC=>credits exchange would be counter-productive, since it would counteract the addition of credit sinks.

(1) Kudos to someone who can name one game for each of those currencies. (Self-evidently, I can, but I'm not participating in the challenge. Double-kudos for someone who can identify a game whose currency is "Kamas".)

I know Energy Credits come from Stellaris, but that's not an MMO of course :p but, to get back to the point here:

Yes, that is the major argument against implementing this feature as a measure against the gold spammers, because if the price for potential credit packs is too high, they will undercut it (naturally, they'll likely undercut anyway, but if the price is reasonable then the fear of permabans should be enough to scare people off from going to credit sellers, I think).

I personally wouldn't mind to see the credit sinks disappear, it's obvious people want to have credits, gather them and use them. If that's what majority of the playerbase wants, the devs should listen. But, that line has been applied to many, many, many ideas and suggestions already :p

I know Energy Credits come from Stellaris, but that's not an MMO of course :p but, to get back to the point here:

((aside)) No, I was thinking of an actual MMORPG that uses Energy Credits as its equivalent for SWTOR's credits. ((/aside))

Yes, that is the major argument against implementing this feature as a measure against the gold spammers, because if the price for potential credit packs is too high, they will undercut it (naturally, they'll likely undercut anyway, but if the price is reasonable then the fear of permabans should be enough to scare people off from going to credit sellers, I think).

I just logged out after briefly checking a character on Tython (for other reasons). I reported and ignored a spammer during that time (less than a minute). It was offering 100 million credits for 12.44 euros, or about 9 million for 1000 CCs. The spammers are *already* undercutting your suggested price by almost 90%.

energy credits come from Star Trek . The others , I dunno . I play the secret world too..but lol I don't remember what the currency is called..been a while since I logged (I'm STUCK in a stupid Mission) .

So where is mah cookie! Lol I should get one at least...come on! lol

But yeah, the idea wouldnt solve the problem lol it would probably make it worse .

((aside)) No, I was thinking of an actual MMORPG that uses Energy Credits as its equivalent for SWTOR's credits. ((/aside))

I just logged out after briefly checking a character on Tython (for other reasons). I reported and ignored a spammer during that time (less than a minute). It was offering 100 million credits for 12.44 euros, or about 9 million for 1000 CCs. The spammers are *already* undercutting your suggested price by almost 90%.

Huh, wow... I wonder whether people actually buy the credits. I mean, since they're spamming that must mean they're getting clients, right? But isn't it prohibited by the ToS to buy credits from credit sellers?

Huh, wow... I wonder whether people actually buy the credits. I mean, since they're spamming that must mean they're getting clients, right? But isn't it prohibited by the ToS to buy credits from credit sellers?

It is . Like everything else, trolling..harassement..blahblah...cheating..blahblah..

But it isnt enforced .

I mean, maybe they catch those who buy credits (which btw they are the sub lol), but no idea if they just give them a warning or ban them for good .

Regardless of what they are doing, it seem like the credits spammer are here to stay .

It is . Like everything else, trolling..harassement..blahblah...cheating..blahblah..

But it isnt enforced .

I mean, maybe they catch those who buy credits (which btw they are the sub lol), but no idea if they just give them a warning or ban them for good .

Regardless of what they are doing, it seem like the credits spammer are here to stay .

Gold spammers/Credit sellers will be a part of every MMO, I'm afraid. It's a pity, but there's little else games can do about it.

If Bioware wanted to make these packs they'd have to start competing with the credit sellers and that's a box that better should remain unopened. In theory, the idea of credit packs in SWTOR seemed like a good idea, but I see that in practice it would cause a lot more trouble than anticipated.

Still, I'd like to have the option to be able to directly buy credits from the Cartel Market, it was what appealed to me in GW2. Disregarding the (flawed) suggestion of it serving as a measure against Gold Spammers, would people like to see such a feature in the CM? Or do people prefer the current indirect way of selling items bought from the CM?

Edited by Ylliarus

Still, I'd like to have the option to be able to directly buy credits from the Cartel Market, it was what appealed to me in GW2. Disregarding the (flawed) suggestion of it serving as a measure against Gold Spammers, would people like to see such a feature in the CM? Or do people prefer the current indirect way of selling items bought from the CM?

wouldn't that kill the whole BUY and SELL though ?

Then again, lol maybe the price would drop then..So yeaaaaaah! Add it lol and I can finally buy some stuff I wanted for like 6 years now lol :D

wouldn't that kill the whole BUY and SELL though ?

Then again, lol maybe the price would drop then..So yeaaaaaah! Add it lol and I can finally buy some stuff I wanted for like 6 years now lol :D

Probably that would happen, because people would still be buying stuff on the Cartel Market to sell to people. But as credits would be more easily available, the prices for those items would surely drop and be more accessible to people. Yet I could be completely wrong in this assessment, so anyone who has better knowledge of this feel free to correct me!

Probably that would happen, because people would still be buying stuff on the Cartel Market to sell to people. But as credits would be more easily available, the prices for those items would surely drop and be more accessible to people. Yet I could be completely wrong in this assessment, so anyone who has better knowledge of this feel free to correct me!

Prices on the GTN are high because there's a *lot* of credits lashing around, because for a long while it has been too easy to acquire lots of credits (for yourself) and too hard to spend them outside the GTN. Adding new sources of zero-effort credits to the game won't help that situation at all.

(At least when we buy CM items to sell on the GTN, *some* credits disappear from the economy.)

Prices on the GTN are high because there's a *lot* of credits lashing around, because for a long while it has been too easy to acquire lots of credits (for yourself) and too hard to spend them outside the GTN. Adding new sources of zero-effort credits to the game won't help that situation at all.

(At least when we buy CM items to sell on the GTN, *some* credits disappear from the economy.)

True, the automatic commission on every sale.

No, despite the fact that I personally would like to see this, I see and understand it wouldn't be a good feature. It would further inflate the economy and create even higher prices on the GTN. The indirect CC to credit conversion, as tedious as it sometimes may be, is perhaps the best option we have now.

More readily available credits makes prices increase, not decrease. (people are willing/able to spend more money on an item)

Increasing supply of an item would make the prices decrease (more competition)

Having credits available to direct purchase would be a double hit. Not only would it increase the amount of credits in the economy directly, it would also decrease supply (people would no longer buy items to flip on the GTN)

Edited by MadDutchman

More readily available credits makes prices increase, not decrease. (people are willing/able to spend more money on an item)

Increasing supply of an item would make the prices decrease (more competition)

Having credits available to direct purchase would be a double hit. Not only would it increase the amount of credits in the economy directly, it would also decrease supply (people would no longer buy items to flip on the GTN)

Agreed, the idea would have more negative elements than positive ones.

Without having any personal expertise on the issue, I watched a video today about how
, leading to rampant hyper-inflation.

Should such a system be introduced, which I hope it won't, then indeed, hyperinflation seems to be the most likely effect as a result. It's why I agree that the current system of indirect CC to credit conversion works best, as it has the added bonus of adding many items on the GTN :)

There are 3 ways to get credits.

1. farm them, with any method available, like dailies, gtn, crafting etc. (slowest way). There was this story of locked up people in asia who were forced to do this :D

2. Exploits. These are the fastest ways, but they need to be available, so its very fast but unreliable.

3. Sold from players. This is the most frequent way. All the guilds doing sales runs earn billions of credits that they can sell to gold sellers. They simply buy low and sell high. So its the players that actually suppor the gold sellers.

Should such a system be introduced, which I hope it won't, then indeed, hyperinflation seems to be the most likely effect as a result. It's why I agree that the current system of indirect CC to credit conversion works best, as it has the added bonus of adding many items on the GTN :)

There would be many things that would be impacted. You have to realize there are quite a few rich people playing the game and they could really buy billions of credits. Imagine that many people earn credits by selling crafting mats. If you have credits and dont have time to farm nodes on planets, you buy the mats off GTN. This would be gone as people could buy the credits and wouldnt need to sell stuff on gtn, therefore many people wouldnt be able to craft and would complain......

I would welcome to be able to buy credits, but I know it would be bad for the game.

There are 3 ways to get credits.

1. farm them, with any method available, like dailies, gtn, crafting etc. (slowest way). There was this story of locked up people in asia who were forced to do this :D

2. Exploits. These are the fastest ways, but they need to be available, so its very fast but unreliable.

3. Sold from players. This is the most frequent way. All the guilds doing sales runs earn billions of credits that they can sell to gold sellers. They simply buy low and sell high. So its the players that actually suppor the gold sellers.

You don't have to explain these to me, I am well aware of the ways to get credits :p it's more that I am simply surprised that people fall for the credit spammers and go to buy credits there. Everything about them is just completely shady, how could someone trust them to make an honest purchase? Not to mention that it's prohibited by the ToS.

There would be many things that would be impacted. You have to realize there are quite a few rich people playing the game and they could really buy billions of credits. Imagine that many people earn credits by selling crafting mats. If you have credits and dont have time to farm nodes on planets, you buy the mats off GTN. This would be gone as people could buy the credits and wouldnt need to sell stuff on gtn, therefore many people wouldnt be able to craft and would complain......

I would welcome to be able to buy credits, but I know it would be bad for the game.

As I said before, I completely agree that the feature would introduce much more damage than good. It would create huge inflation and it would cause the GTN to really become unjust for the players who can't afford to buy billions of credits.

You don't have to explain these to me, I am well aware of the ways to get credits :p it's more that I am simply surprised that people fall for the credit spammers and go to buy credits there. Everything about them is just completely shady, how could someone trust them to make an honest purchase? Not to mention that it's prohibited by the ToS.

Its not only about some shady people who do this. There are official honest websites that sell credits, along with time cards, cc codes and common games. Its a bit more complex, these websites actually deal with the gold seller instead of you so they bare the risk, you deal with the website. That makes it all even more comfortable for you.

Its not only about some shady people who do this. There are official honest websites that sell credits, along with time cards, cc codes and common games. Its a bit more complex, these websites actually deal with the gold seller instead of you so they bare the risk, you deal with the website. That makes it all even more comfortable for you.

Game time cards is logical of course, but I wasn't aware there were official, honest sites that sell credits. Curious.

Game time cards is logical of course, but I wasn't aware there were official, honest sites that sell credits. Curious.

There aren't. They are *otherwise ordinary* sites (selling time cards, cash-shop currency cards, game licenses etc.) who have a slightly "under the counter" side line in in-game currency. It's just as forbidden (by the games' terms of service) to buy credits from them as it is to buy them from dodgy-Chinese-goldfarmer dot com (not a real site, duh), but they look more legitimate, and they *do* present a lower risk of credit card fraud weirdness and similar.

Its supply and demand, that makes stuff legal over time. Same with bitcoin, which is basically a highly risky currency, not officially accepted yet you can buy stuff for them on many normal websites.

There aren't. They are *otherwise ordinary* sites (selling time cards, cash-shop currency cards, game licenses etc.) who have a slightly "under the counter" side line in in-game currency.

Of course there are. Like I said, they just work with the sellers and offer the stuff on their site, its pure business for them.

An example would be in my company. We were an authorized car dealership, which was only selling and servicing the cars of the given brand. We had to only sell original parts and follow original service guidelines that were approved by the manufacturer. We were forbiden to sell "unoriginal parts" only what we get supplied from factory.

However there were things that were just extremely expensive from the manufacturer like car batteries. The original ones costed 300,- euro but you can easily buy the same type of battery for 100,- euro or less. So what we did was buy those batteries and sell them. Sure it was a breach of contract, but there was a lot of money to be made there and we really did sell a lot of that stuff, plus many other such parts. Its just nonsence to limit the business like that since people come with a faulty battery and want a new one right away, not to order one for 300,- euro. If they wouldnt get it from us, they would buy it around the corner for 100,- euro. This way, we make profit and customer is happy.

Same as with this stuff.

Of course there are. Like I said, they just work with the sellers and offer the stuff on their site, its pure business for them.

There are *not* "official honest sites" that sell in-game currency for real money. That trade is forbidden (for the players) by the Terms of Service of the game (whichever game(1), and especially, in context, SWTOR), no matter who the allegedly "official" and "honest" site is.

Indeed, if the site tries to pass itself off as an "official" supplier of everything that it supplies (including in-game currency), then it is self-evidently dishonest because there's no such thing as an official seller of in-game currency.

(1) Yes, there are games (e.g. GW2) where you can acquire in-game currency by a process of cash=>shop-currency=>in-game-currency, but they still have rules forbidding other channels for acquiring in-game currency for cash.