Said it once, say it again, offer free faction transfers - Imperial to Republic

Chiricahua

I don't think many people would do this. They are playing empire for a reason. Maybe some PvP guilds would just to play the underdog side and have more enemies but my guess is that it wouldn't help at all unless you either force people to do it (which you can't) or you make the republic side much more appealing by introducing outnumbered-faction-buffs like more valor or more damage. This is also very dangerous balance wise and can terribly go wrong. I think the damage is done here and BioWare screwed this up royally.

Anyway you would do nothing wrong by offering it one way. EXCEPT that by doing this BioWare would admit that they screwed up royally which is very unlikely to happen.

I don't think many people would do this. They are playing empire for a reason. Maybe some PvP guilds would just to play the underdog side and have more enemies but my guess is that it wouldn't help at all unless you either force people to do it (which you can't) or you make the republic side much more appealing by introducing outnumbered-faction-buffs like more valor or more damage. This is also very dangerous balance wise and can terribly go wrong. I think the damage is done here and BioWare screwed this up royally.

Anyway you would do nothing wrong by offering it one way. EXCEPT that by doing this BioWare would admit that they screwed up royally which is very unlikely to happen.

Really? I would do it and so would 10ish on my friends, I also know many people on my server that are rerolling republic right now including myself.

i would do it in a heartbeat not that i want a republic character but the faction imbalance just destroyed the guild i was in more than half left for a better balanced server and rolled republic some stayed to finish there grind and i dont want to do that again.

My pvp group of 4 just rerolled to rep after 1.1 actually, turns out standing around in ilum for 4 hours and getting 5/30 of you daily is not fun.

Its fun getting insta pop queues and playing very balanced 1-49 pvp. However, transfers would have been ideal. I think increased valor would help get people to switch but it would have to be only 10% or so.

Edited by phluke

Really? I would do it and so would 10ish on my friends, I also know many people on my server that are rerolling republic right now including myself.

Yeah I mean you can't tell what will happen unless you try. But the thing is that you don't need just 10ish more republic players. For A CHANCE to make two-faction objective-based open world pvp work you need a 50:50 balance. Some servers are more like 70:30 that would mean you'd need something like one third or more of the empire to transfer to republic side. I don't see that happening especially not for every server. But yeah, you could try.

Problem is you cannot force people to go to the other side, it has to happen on their free will. I rolled empire at the start purely due to the fact I played empire in SWG. Than once the guild started getting 3-4 at 50 we decided to screw the idea and more or less reroll. Bioware isn't entirely to blame for this imbalance. I would to say the ones who made the lore of Star Wars gave a lot of the blame also. Look at the movies which side has the coolest looking fighters? Empire without a doubt. TIE fighter beats A-wing for looks anyday, TIE/In interceptor looks better then X-wing etc. The rebels large ships vs empire's detsroyers looks like placing a Lada next to a Porche 911. Throughout the lore Empire has always had the coolest looking ships, you can say that empire wins on the coolness factor on all things as rebels always was the underdog that didn't have the budget nor the design to build these massive frightning ships. Also Star Wars has always been about the battle between good and evil, and the evil side in most movies always win in terms of looks on the things they use. Bioware has made a game based on the lore, and they did screw up when it came to preventing people go to one side just for the "cool equipment". Evil is always more tempting then being a goody goody to shoe person, you see it in all movies.

Problem is you cannot force people to go to the other side, it has to happen on their free will.

True, you can't. That's what I said. But you could prevent it in the first place by NEVER ALLOWING imbalanced servers. Now it is really hard to fix.

Bioware isn't entirely to blame for this imbalance. I would to say the ones who made the lore of Star Wars gave a lot of the blame also. Look at the movies which side has the coolest looking fighters? Empire without a doubt. (...)

True as well. But still, if you want to have your two-faction-pvp gameplay to work you NEED balanced servers. If you have imbalanced servers it goes down as it did. IT JUST DOESN'T WORK. So you have to regulate the population even if that means that people are forced to either roll republic, go to another server or wait until enough players rolled republic. If don't wanna do regulate that, well, then DON'T IMPLEMENT OPEN WORLD PVP AT ALL. Or deal with the consequences.

Yeah I mean you can't tell what will happen unless you try. But the thing is that you don't need just 10ish more republic players. For A CHANCE to make two-faction objective-based open world pvp work you need a 50:50 balance. Some servers are more like 70:30 that would mean you'd need something like one third or more of the empire to transfer to republic side. I don't see that happening especially not for every server. But yeah, you could try.

Actually, 10-20 of the active lvl 50 PvPers would actually fix most servers enough to be playable. If balance is currently 70:30, and even 10 people switch to republic, that shifts the balance to 60:40. 60:40 is actually a playable balance.

Actually, 10-20 of the active lvl 50 PvPers would actually fix most servers enough to be playable. If balance is currently 70:30, and even 10 people switch to republic, that shifts the balance to 60:40. 60:40 is actually a playable balance.

Actually I was talking about PERCENTAGE. Or are there no more than 100 people playing this game?

I think the problem is the story aspect. How do you equivocate one story to the other? I know companions mirror each other skillwise so it shouldnt be hard.

If bioware said they cant perform a rollback, then I have to make the assumption to much coding and room for error exists in a game with story arcs, dialogue, voice overs, ships etc... all specific to a class to actually successfully allow character transfers.

I could be wrong, but even blizzard couldnt code the argent tournament rep grind to xfer over when you faction changed. Do you think bioware can make ALL of that stuff go over properly from one faction to the other?

2 seperate problems.

Low pop servers need to have a server merge, as someone else has said x server is just a bandaid and doesnt promote server community / rivalry (which is pretty necessary if you want open pvp). This is a headache to implement, but they went with too many servers at launch so it is of their own making. Sure lots of servers meant pain free launch, but ensured this headache for a long time afterward.

Faction imbalance. ultimately will balance itself out in the long term, but not quickly and many people will have desubbed before it does. Needs fixing properly and soon.

Not entirely sure how easy it would be to ensure fair faction transfers in any case:

-Gear needs to be transformed from one faction to other faction equivalent

-race choice

-opens up the possibility of people having both getting all holocrons from both factions

-companion gear / story would be reset or marked as completed

-quest completion, commendations etc

-fotm abuse

probably many other problems too. Perhaps the Legacy system offering quicker xp will help people rerolling and make it less of a grind & probably much easier to implement for Bioware.

Either way, nightmare to solve & they need to make sure they think it through properly before implementing a borked solution. Get this wrong and it will be curtains for many.

Edited by bstb

Can't they just make it like a death knight in WoW.

That you can just create a new character on the lvl your "main" is. Or cap it around lvl40.

No need to merge and covert. Then you would just have two characters of the same lvl without lvling the new one.

Problem solved?