Always down during Australian prime time.

Aedey

It's been like this since WoW launched. Maybe since Everquest.

If they kept it to one day per week, it'd be fine. I personally won't complain if it's just tuesday night. But SWTOR has had weeks where it's been 3 or 4 patch days a week... all of which cut into Asia Pacific's primetime.

I don't recall a single time where they had to patch 3 times in a week. A few right after big updates when they had 2 but never 3, let alone 4.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because they can't do it atm and chose to prioritize other things before.

Which IMO is why they're loosing subs. They fix the technical issues but sometimes miss things in CS.

But why can't they just hire some Australian technical guys who can go to the server location & do what they need to do? Part time work... anyone heard of it? Everything doesn't need to be based out of Austin. Lucas Arts already has a branch down here in Melbourne last I checked. Hell, they can do it for all I care.

Edited by Aedey

Why are people still complaining about this? It has been roughly the same time since launch, so I don't know but wouldn't people start organizing their schedules accordingly? I know it was an emergency patch today, but we see these for EVERY Tuesday patch and it is getting old.

It would be very difficult to "organize your schedule accordingly," especially considering the downtime in Australia is during prime-time, meaning the time between when people get off work to when they go to bed.

I'm certainly not one of those gamers that schedules work around games, and I don't expect other people to do it either. I understand that it's only for a few hours once a week (usually), but it still must be very aggravating.

Also, if you pay attention to the conversation, this isn't just about the emergency patch. It's about maintenance being the same time every single week.

No lol. Company blah blah, based in country blahblahblah, makes a game, and invites the population of country blahblahblah to play it. Downtimes are based around one set of players, so everything is hunky dory.

Company blah blah sells the game to the world. Downtimes are based around one set of players, so everything is most definitely not hunky dory.

Customers are customers, no matter where they live. You can't favour one set of customers over another and expect no complaints.

Very well put, sir.

Edited by chimunga

Its just the way it goes. I live in Japan. Ive been a wow subscriber since day 1, i switched here on day 1. Tuesday is a bust. At least its kinda consistent. Nothing worse than having the hwole promise of cycled rolling restarts that actually take longer because they shut down the log in server before getting round to your server cluster.

Just suck it up. Patch time always blows, expect that week and even to the following week you wont be getting a consistent game. Its unfair, but no amount of whining changed the policy at blizzard, and if anything, they seem even less receptive here (no servers marked oceanic at launch, no guarantee for months that we wouldnt have our credit cards blocked, no ability to pay from my credit card and having to buy time cards, no admission that red zoning a massive group of their potential customer base was a bit of a cruel blow to many many bioware fans).

I still love bioware (mass effect 3, even with its lack of multiple endings reminded me why i was a black isle/interplay fan all thsoe years ago), but man, they dont half make it hard to feel appreciated for all the support we gave them.

That tangent aside, it would be shocking were they to offer rolling maintenance now. I cant see a reason why they wouldnt have it going already if they thought they could. So its best just not to get over stressed about it and accept yoru games kinda getting disrupted a week or two every other month (and 1 day a week regardless). Just wait till patch 1.3 comes out though... expect funtimes regarding pathces, bugs, and queues. :) Itll be like launch all over again :)

Tbh I really dont care when it goes down, I have heaps of other stuff I can do which having down time helps me accomplish.

However what really frustrates me is the fact the dailies rest at 10pm and with the down time usually starting at 5-6pm going for 4 hours means I am unable to complete 1 daily when it comes back on.

So I miss out on both PvP, Daily commendations and at least 100k+ gold.

while not game breaking its annoying as hell to be constantly put behind everyone else who can actually play during the to finish that crap but because I work a 9-5 job I get screwed over.

Simple fix would be change the daily reset times to midnight.

We've been fighting an uphill battle in every MMO. They all like to do their maintenance in Australian prime time. It's never going to change. I'd really like to know what needs to be done to a server weekly that takes 4 hours. I have never experienced the need to take down a server for 4 hours once a week, yet all MMO's do it and nobody cares to explain why the need to.

We've been fighting an uphill battle in every MMO. They all like to do their maintenance in Australian prime time. It's never going to change. I'd really like to know what needs to be done to a server weekly that takes 4 hours. I have never experienced the need to take down a server for 4 hours once a week, yet all MMO's do it and nobody cares to explain why the need to.

They take it down because some things cannot be done with the files in use. I dont really know of any that does it on the fly but thats not saying there isnt one. Just I dont know of it.

Devs said a while ago that it was either have regional lockouts and different down times or no lockouts and one down time. The chose the latter.

This doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't the server push the appropriate patch to the client, even if it's a downgrade? That seems like a pretty small inconvenience to a small percentage of the player base (players who have characters spread across regions).

As an Aussie who plays late night I find the maintenance Times to be really good and they are usually back up before

The stated time 5pm -10pm suits me on other games it's usually from 9pm to early morning like 5am

They take it down because some things cannot be done with the files in use. I dont really know of any that does it on the fly but thats not saying there isnt one. Just I dont know of it.

Taking it down for a patch makes sense. I'm talking when they do maintenance with no patches. What is so fragile it falls apart once a week that is common to all MMO's but not business critical servers?