(KOTFE) Do you really have to do PvP to recruit a PvE companion?

Kulyok

Okay, I've been reading forum posts and Dulfy guides, and it's said that to recruit a certain companion, I'd have to do warzone matches? Play PvP? Otherwise I won't be able to recruit them? Seriously?

I'm not doing PvP, ever - I just don't want to hurt other people; doesn't work for me; I don't like it. I got legendary status, legacy level 50, 20k achievements, but no PvP. Never. Not going to.

But I do want another companion, another friend. It just doesn't make sense in my head. Why would they introduce such a strange requirement instead of a normal solo PvE quest?

For the record, I don't like recruiting Dr Lokin through Rakghoul event only, either. I've got eight(or rather eighteen) high-level characters who will need him as a companion: I can't wait for months for each of them - again, that just doesn't make sense.

I hope they'll change it in the later patches. As it stands, it just seems a really bad idea.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record, I don't like recruiting Dr Lokin through Rakghoul event only, either. I've got eight(or rather eighteen) high-level characters who will need him as a companion: I can't wait for months for each of them - again, that just doesn't make sense.

On the bright side, it looks like Rakghoul event is going to be a monthly occurrence.

Edited by KyaniteD

Yeah, I don't like PvP I play this game for PvE purposes only so by putting content behind a PvP wall I think is a really stupid decision.

The only thing I can think of is that the devs can't decide how to make PvP more appealing so they are going to try to "force" people into trying PvP to get companions in KoTFE.

I know its dumb I was quite excited to get Pierce on my inquisitor he talked about getting some wins against the republic. I thought I was going to go around to the different planets smacking republic in the face then I saw the pvp quest.... I just face palmed.

Right play pvp to unlock a pve companion WHAT! SERIOUSLY. *sigh*

Qyzen fes quest is also silly the fact that you can never complete or it will be extremely difficult since many people are trying to hunt the same creatures.

Yeah, I don't like PvP I play this game for PvE purposes only so by putting content behind a PvP wall I think is a really stupid decision.

The only thing I can think of is that the devs can't decide how to make PvP more appealing so they are going to try to "force" people into trying PvP to get companions in KoTFE.

99% of this game is behiond a "pve wall"

pvpers get one thing and *SKY IS FALLING*

Just another instance of the Devs being so out of touch with the player base.

It's been that way since early testing.

BW really should stick to single-player games. SWTOR is proof that they have no clue, and will never learn.

It's been that way since early testing.

BW really should stick to single-player games. SWTOR is proof that they have no clue, and will never learn.

And yet, you are still here, as am I. As are a lot of others. If you don't want to pvp, don't. There have always been some things that required a bit of pvp to complete. There always will be. It's a dog eat dog galaxy out there. The strong survive. The weak are ignored.

And yet, you are still here, as am I. As are a lot of others. If you don't want to pvp, don't. There have always been some things that required a bit of pvp to complete. There always will be. It's a dog eat dog galaxy out there. The strong survive. The weak are ignored.

There were companion/PvE-related things that might've required entering a PvP-open zone in the open world - looking for HK-51 part or completing a GSI weekly on Tatooine, for example. But not actually entering a warzone, let along completing twenty, no.

new to mmorpg's?

unless designed from the ground up to be all pvp in all aspects like eve online, mmorpg's are at their heart pve games and based on a genre of text based and paper-based games that were almost entirely pve only.

lol you don't know the half of it yet :D Wait until you notice that in PVP without expertise gear you are a sheep in the slaughterhouse. You will die a lot and you will kill nothing. The op said he is worried about hurting people, don't worry you wonl lol.

And I think the Raghoul Event is the stupidest event in MMO history, It should be named "I get to Grief Everyone MUHAHAHAHA Event" So that's a Companion I'll never revisit.

lol you don't know the half of it yet :D Wait until you notice that in PVP without expertise gear you are a sheep in the slaughterhouse. You will die a lot and you will kill nothing. The op said he is worried about hurting people, don't worry you wonl lol.

Well I did not mention the lack of expertise as I don't know fully how well the bolster works but yeah I did know that I would not have any PvP gear at all.

new to mmorpg's?

unless designed from the ground up to be all pvp in all aspects like eve online, mmorpg's are at their heart pve games and based on a genre of text based and paper-based games that were almost entirely pve only.

i dont even
And I think the Raghoul Event is the stupidest event in MMO history, It should be named "I get to Grief Everyone MUHAHAHAHA Event" So that's a Companion I'll never revisit.
if you don't like pvp, don't play on pvp servers.

slandering people because they like fighting other players seems as silly as them making fun of you for killing scripted ai mobs over and over. live and let live, geez.

Edited by Pagy

Except all that pvpers got with this is that people who don't really care about pvp at all are forced to enter warzones. And they're not even forced to try and help their team, because all they have to do is finish 20 matches as fast as possible. If that means not doing a damn thing so their team can lose quickly, then so be it. Warzone commendations and gear don't interest them anyway.

So have fun with your pvp and be sure to thank Bioware Austin for "improving it" by drawing in people who have no interest in it.

Except all that pvpers got with this is that people who don't really care about pvp at all are forced to enter warzones. And they're not even forced to try and help their team, because all they have to do is finish 20 matches as fast as possible. If that means not doing a damn thing so their team can lose quickly, then so be it. Warzone commendations and gear don't interest them anyway.

So have fun with your pvp and be sure to thank Bioware Austin for "improving it" by drawing in people who have no interest in it.

i don't think i've ever done an unranked warzone without useless or undergeared players so i'm not sure i see the impact here.

if players want to take it that seriously they should be in ranked anyway.

Why not just try PvP? I know it can be overwhelming at first. But really, it's not so bad.

Why can't there be a PvP reward in this game? You don't need these specific companions, they are completely optional. Both are rabidly patriotic to their respective factions so it makes sense they would want someone who has "fought the good fight".

To be honest with you, that's not how it goes usually. It's pretty typical to get undergeared and inexperienced people playing PvP. It got a lot worse with Conquest. But in my experience most people at least try. Warzones can go on for 10-15 minutes. Even if you are very anti-PvP most people will at least toss a heal or shoot/stab someone rather than just doing nothing.

The only people I ever see not contributing is the self-described "PvP pros" who want to blame the loss on everyone else and so sulks in a corner until the match is over.

PvP and PvE are 2 separate entities and should be treated as such, what would PvP'ers think if the next war zone to come out was on say Corellia but before you can use the war zone you must complete the weekly heroics on that planet 5 times first, would you consider that fair, probably not since you want to PvP not PvE, just like we want to PvE not PvP, one objective should not be hidden by the other.

PvP and PvE are 2 separate entities and should be treated as such, what would PvP'ers think if the next war zone to come out was on say Corellia but before you can use the war zone you must complete the weekly heroics on that planet 5 times first, would you consider that fair, probably not since you want to PvP not PvE, just like we want to PvE not PvP, one objective should not be hidden by the other.

• You have to level to 10 before you can even start doing PvP, which means you have to PvE for 9 levels before you even have access to PvP.
  • You have to level a crew skill and/or farm credits in PvE to get augments/stims/grenades.
  • You have to level to at least your ship to be able to get anywhere that has open world PvP (Outlaw's Den, Gree areas of Ilum, etc.); The first planet where there is even a POSSIBILITY of open PvP is Nar Shaddaa.
  • If you want to do the aforementioned crew skills you have to level until Act III to get all the companions.
  • If you want to get the class buffs you have to level 4 characters minimum through Act III
  • If you want the companion buffs, you have to level their affection and do their quests.

There are quite a few things that PvPers have to do in PvE that are locked to that content. So what else you got?

Edited by Master-Nala

new to mmorpg's?

So? Things evolve. The requirement for this one companion is a BIT of PvP. Really, it's miniscule compared to the amount of things that are gated by PvE.

Oh the irony: No new Ops in this expansion... /runandhide :eek:

:p

i dont evenif you don't like pvp, don't play on pvp servers.

That much is painfully obvious, to everyone but you, apparently. You see, he's not gated just on PvP servers, but all servers. Check your Walkman batteries, we don't want you to forget to breathe.

slandering people because they like fighting other players seems as silly as them making fun of you for killing scripted ai mobs over and over. live and let live, geez.

It's not slander if it happens. I've played my fair share of games where PvP means something, it happens, and it happens every day.

I think it's retarded and stupid, personally. When I read Pierce's demands, I immediately got a bad taste in my mouth. I don't PvP, ever. I abhor it. In 15 years of MMOs, I've never done it.

So, I may well join 20 matches just to sit there and do nothing though.

*shrug*

BioWare can make me join an unranked match, but they can't make me actually play in it.

Edited by Raphael_diSanto