What is the incentive for winning in PvP?

stephenjohnp

After you have finished all your Warzone based dailies and you continue to play, what is the incentive to actually try and win? Ultimately when you're playing Warzones you're aiming for commendations to purchase Champion Bags. The best way to maximise the amount of commendations is not trying for objectives and winning, but rather completing arbitrary goals such as doing X amount of damage or killing X amount of players and collecting medals and in most cases going for objectives simply leads to less medals and ultimately less commendations.

Examples:

Why plant a bomb in Voidstar when you can simply stay the first gate and farm kills etc?

Why score in Huttball which leads to eventually scoring 6 goals and prematurely ending the game, when again, you can farm kills?

They seriously need to add medals for planting bombs, scoring in Huttball etc. At the moment, there is little incentive to win after completing dailies and this needs to change.

Edited by stephenjohnp

Why plant a bomb in Voidstar when you can simply stay the first gate and farm kills etc?

Why score in Huttball which leads to eventually scoring 6 goals and prematurely ending the game, when again, you can farm kills?

Because I get more medals in in the first three minutes of a warzone than I do in the last twelve minutes

Why do you need incentive to want to win?

When me and my friends sit down and play a game of Catan I want to win...there is no prize for winning. But I still reaaaallllyy want to win. Also make fun of them for taking bad spots. Then facepalm when 11 gets rolled 14 times.

I digress

Winning > everything else.

I get pissed off if I loose, even if I end up on 1st place with 15 medals.

Guess you're just not a competitive player op.

Perhaps winning for him is accomplishing his objective - growing his character. He's noticed he may win more by not pursuing BG objectives.

Perhaps winning for him is accomplishing his objective - growing his character. He's noticed he may win more by not pursuing BG objectives.

I see. A PvEer looking for an easy way to get gear vs raiding and competing with others for drops. Not really there to fight "player vs player" like the term PvP implies. I remember the days when people played PvP to play vs others, not to acquire gear the easy way. Well, good luck with that. Gear is no good to you if you don't have the skill to put it to use.

I understand your point. I run into a lot of games of Huttball that if the score hits 2-0 people on my team will give up and start trying to farm medals instead since they stand to gain more commendations.

Frankly, I wouldn't have individual performance play into that much. It's always hard to rate that anyway. Your team could do awesome and you could be an unstoppable killing machine and rake in a ton of commendations all on the back of some healer that doesn't get half the commendations you do.

Instead I would have personal commendations lessened, and have team-wide commendations based on win/lose and objectives providing bonus commendations for the team.

For example:

Winning a match grants everyone on the team 100 commendations. Each score in Huntball grants 15, each tier in Void Star grants 30, every 100 points worth of damage inflicted on the enemy ship grants 30. Just adjustment the personal commendation awards to balance it out. Every team will want to win since the main bulk of commendations comes from that. However, even if you can't win, you will still try for the objectives since they will grant a decent amount of commendations as well.

I use the credits from PvP to fund my repair bills in raids. I'm also a lazy bastard and can't stand running dailies for credits, so my incentive for PvP is to 1)win the match 2)make the other's guy life bar go down and 3)get some money.

I see. A PvEer looking for an easy way to get gear vs raiding and competing with others for drops. Not really there to fight "player vs player" like the term PvP implies. I remember the days when people played PvP to play vs others, not to acquire gear the easy way. Well, good luck with that. Gear is no good to you if you don't have the skill to put it to use.

Except he's in PvP killing people, as opposed to avoiding people so he can click on stuff. Sounds like he's PvPing to me.