Where are the Crafters???

Yaesive

Okay so last night I was trolling the GTN looking for a few high level items that should normally be on most GTN instances. Only to find we had no Mods or hilts or any major items. All we had were barrels?

Come on guys did all the crafters retire from the scene?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the greedy crafters tend to only craft items that can net them 300-400% the production cost of the item, if they can't, they don't make it.

There are some good crafters out there and i salute any crafter that would be open to crafting anything for a reasonable price.

I am thinking 1.5k per level 20-26 blue armorings or 3k for purple armorings is very reasonable, but alot want like 5-10k just for their freaking time.

I never pay tip to players that ask for it, its not a tip then is it, its a payment.

If only i could find crafters that could make me hilts, armorings and barrels when i need them, that would be awsome, the commendations can then be used for the mods and enhancements, since hilts, barrels and armorings are so pathetically overpriced on the commendation vendor.

^^ People crashed the market so it's not as high a profit to pump them out like people used to, better to save up for new 27s.

The problem as I see it is, the GTN is based on mats not finished products. As a crafter I can not make a profit buying mats off the GTN because the cost for mats is crazy-stupid. For example, it is SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper to just buy a finished mk-6 kit for 32k than to buy the mats off the GTN and craft it. And the work to grind out 10 mk-6 augment components is really excessive... So mass producing from start to finish is just too much work compared to the money I could make running dailies and HMs.

Long story short, crafting in this game is just not fun or rewarding. It isn't fun to mine the mats, it isn't fun to craft the final product, and the GTN just isn't designed to give sellers the options needed to creatively carve out a nitch (like an option to sell armor in sets).

Lately I have noticed literally tons of crafters advertising on channels that they will make level 25 and 26 mods and armorings for free if you supply the mats (though it's considered good eitquette to 'tip' them 150-300k for the time and generosity).

So I imagine people aren't selling them on the GTN anymore because there's at least 2-4 people on each side giving them away for free. And good for them, god bless those people.

Lately I have noticed literally tons of crafters advertising on channels that they will make level 25 and 26 mods and armorings for free if you supply the mats (though it's considered good eitquette to 'tip' them 150-300k for the time and generosity).

Its 26 and 27, since the 25s aren't craftable. And the shot about tips is a little unfair; at least name some names. I know I've never demanded a tip and am perfectly fine not receiving one, as are a lot of the other crafters, so a good public call out would help end such practices.

lol @ the comment about ending tipping.

What about people who make earrings and implants? Do they not deserve tips for spending 350 comms trying to learn a hazmat piece, or the time it took to kill a boss? I think a tip for crafting a high end item, no matter what it is, is more than fair. Ending tipping in general is just silly. I understand the concept of selling crits on the GTN but overall it's bad for the market.

Bioware has really done a number on crafting in this game to create people like this. lol. gotta love it.

lol @ the comment about ending tipping.

What about people who make earrings and implants? Do they not deserve tips for spending 350 comms trying to learn a hazmat piece, or the time it took to kill a boss? I think a tip for crafting a high end item, no matter what it is, is more than fair. Ending tipping in general is just silly. I understand the concept of selling crits on the GTN but overall it's bad for the market.

Bioware has really done a number on crafting in this game to create people like this. lol. gotta love it.

A mandatory tip is a fee. I'm fine with people charging fees for earpieces/implants/armor, just don't call it a tip if its required.

A mandatory tip is a fee. I'm fine with people charging fees for earpieces/implants/armor, just don't call it a tip if its required.

What does it matter what they call it or what they charge?

Why do you get so QQ about something if it's not done your way? You don't have to call an "END ALL CRAFTING FEES" because it's not done your way. If people don't want to pay the fees, they won't pay them and those people will have to change how they do business. You don't have to go on NERD MISSIONS to end fees for crafting. Seriously get a life.

As you read this...follow these instructions....ready little buddy?

Take a deep breath.....now type /quit and go find something else to do for a while. Clearly you spend way too much time thinking about an economy on a make believe game.

What does it matter what they call it or what they charge?

Why do you get so QQ about something if it's not done your way? You don't have to call an "END ALL CRAFTING FEES" because it's not done your way. If people don't want to pay the fees, they won't pay them and those people will have to change how they do business. You don't have to go on NERD MISSIONS to end fees for crafting. Seriously get a life.

As you read this...follow these instructions....ready little buddy?

Take a deep breath.....now type /quit and go find something else to do for a while. Clearly you spend way too much time thinking about an economy on a make believe game.

Please show me where I called for an end to all crafting fees, and please show me what entitles you to be so condescending.

Think you got under his skin bro... it's all good.

If they want a "tip", its called a fee. If its a "tip", be gracious if received, otherwise doesn't expect one.

FYI. Most crafter's are and should be okay with crafting for free. There are a few (like P'Dorea) who will ask you 200k+ fee for a level 26 mod. If you dont want to pay for it, don't. There will be someone else other there who will be willing to craft it for free.

Wanna know why?

They have this LOVELY thing, called a critical, which means that with the mats for one (1), they get two (2) mods/enhancements.

That puppy itself, can sell for well over a million if they are level 27.

How's that for a tip. It's almost like winning the lottery, but your odds are up there.

Think you got under his skin bro... it's all good.

If they want a "tip", its called a fee. If its a "tip", be gracious if received, otherwise doesn't expect one.

FYI. Most crafter's are and should be okay with crafting for free. There are a few (like P'Dorea) who will ask you 200k+ fee for a level 26 mod. If you dont want to pay for it, don't. There will be someone else other there who will be willing to craft it for free.

Wanna know why?

They have this LOVELY thing, called a critical, which means that with the mats for one (1), they get two (2) mods/enhancements.

That puppy itself, can sell for well over a million if they are level 27.

How's that for a tip. It's almost like winning the lottery, but your odds are up there.

Yes, this is true, until 10 people all know the pattern to execute this same exact plan.

Now you're competing to even get to craft it for free with 10 other people and it's not like it's a 100% crit. You're crafting for free, no tip with a crit 50% or so of the time? I'm a math guy and those are horrible numbers for me. Think about it. If 5 people know it, you're all on at the same time, you have a 1/5 shot of getting their business. Then go ahead and factor in your crit rate to make profit.

This system would only work well in my mind if you were only one of the few people who knew the pattern.

I blame bioware in the end for all of this. This is a horribly thought out crafting system. I know some people don't agree with me, but being able to be BiS without ever stepping in a HM OP is absurd to me. At least make the new gear unable to be learned for the first few months or something. There is seriously no reason to raid if you're in it for the gear. Just wait 3 weeks, like we have now and buy the mats to have someone make the gear for ya.

Oh well.

Then advertise to get more business. I think if you have a 20% chance on a crit and U can sell said extra piece for a million or more than you are making on average over 200k per craft, just to craft.

10% base crit chance. 20% is for RE.

Most people will still tip 100k (min) per item crafted, knowing full well they will not get the crits if one occurs.

1/10 chance, you've made a million (min) before you crit, and you then sell the crit for another mill

2 million every 10 made. even if you only get this once a month, thats 250k earned weekly for doing nothing.

Pretty solid deal for any crafter.

Our crafters are busy crafting (free) stuff for guildies, i.e. at a loss, if you will. So there's little spare mats to put any random stuff on the GTN not knowing if it will sell. Plus, if we sell, we try to sell at a good (not exaggerated) profit to fund our guild crafting. Usually we just sell the leftovers / overproduction from make-over sessions.

I do craft blue item modifications (all except barrels) on demand/at request. For free if you can get me the materials and between 1.5 and ~9k a piece depending on level, mats required and current stock of required mats.

(I only craft non-endgame purples on demand if I already have the schematic and if the purple materials are provided.)

Jihi (E) / Yuuhi ®

ETA: Sorry, I missed the "high level " remark by the OP. Not sure if you mean high end = endgame. People have very specific needs with regard to min-maxing for their class/spec, and when they fork out that many credits for a high level item they want a specific one, so endgame mods are mostly craft-on-demand items.

Edited by KyaniteD

Most people will still tip 100k (min) per item crafted, knowing full well they will not get the crits if one occurs.

1/10 chance, you've made a million (min) before you crit, and you then sell the crit for another mill

2 million every 10 made. even if you only get this once a month, thats 250k earned weekly for doing nothing.

Pretty solid deal for any crafter.

It's profit but it's pretty much the slowest way to make credits. Smart crafters can make much more but it takes patience and a little luck.

Lets just say it takes you 4 Might Armoring 27's to learn the pattern. That's 24 Stabilizers, 8 Matrix, 32 Mand. Iron. Assuming you get all your materials from GTN, that's over 4.5 million just to learn the pattern. That is assuming it only takes 4. Sometimes you'll hit on the first one, other times it takes you 10 to learn.

Then, you have to compete with the other people who are crafting for free. For example, if you use Might 27 Armoring, I think 3 or 4 people are crafting for free empire side now.

So, 1/4 chance of getting someone's business and then a 1/10 chance to crit. That's a 2.5% even get a shot at making money, then you have to deal with the GTN. The pattern itself cost you 4.5 million to learn and even making your money back can take you quite some time because of all the other crafters.

Then, there is the simple factor of....why would people buy off the GTN if someone is crafting it for free with no mats? Yes, I am aware that people buy off the GTN but players with half a brain know it's better to just have it crafted. So you're losing probably 75% of your potential business because someone isn't going to pay 3.2 million for 1 armoring when they could have one crafted for less than 1 million.

Because of the "unintended feature" of being able to RE crafted Armorings/Mods/Enhancements/etc, these markets crash very quickly. The only way right now to make more than pocket change is to be the first one to know the pattern.

I think the best market to get into right now are Hazmat Implant & Earrings market. People can't RE someone else's crafted piece. So you make them, post on GTN and be patient and wait. If something doesn't sell after a day, lower it until you find the price point that makes the consumers want to buy.

Edited by GScheff