Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Transgender Representation in Swtor

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Transgender Representation in Swtor

MadDutchman
07.01.2019 , 03:19 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Darkdust View Post
The existence of people on a gender spectrum should not be a "contentious issue" because, well, they exist and they even play SWTOR. If you can accept people being able to move starships with their minds and all the other fantastic stuff in Star Wars, and if you can accept that our understanding of the SW universe has changed since 1977, you should be able to accept relatively small changes like this.
Frankly, whether you think it should be a contentious social issue is irrelevant. It IS a contentious social issue. Any attempt to insert such into the game for no other purpose than to advance a social agenda (whether right or wrong doesn't matter here) results in bad characters, due simply to misguided priorities. They become defined by what they are/what the identify as, and that is, frankly, insulting to those people.

It is also rather difficult to introduce such characters to a game without being over the top about it due simply to technical limitations and the general tendency for characters to be a little over the top anyway.
Demand: Are. We. There. Yet.

Use my referral link for free goodies.

SteveTheCynic
07.03.2019 , 02:58 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by buddydogputin View Post
Maybe it would be a better idea to leave all romance out of the game to not go into any controversial waters.
Um. It's a teeny tiny bit late for that.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

MadDutchman
07.03.2019 , 07:27 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by NerfGatherer View Post
Im just here to enjoy these tears. Nothing quite as entertaining as obsessive whining and playing the victim. Please tell me more about how unfair the world is to you?
Your rather rude, presumptuous and provocative responses are all the proof we need that including this is a bad idea.
Demand: Are. We. There. Yet.

Use my referral link for free goodies.

FlameYOL
07.04.2019 , 08:06 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
Um. It's a teeny tiny bit late for that.
Just a little...
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

Telaan
07.05.2019 , 08:38 AM | #25
As someone who has been against any kind of romance or identity scripts from the start (purely because of the inevitable butt hurt it causes regardless of position); I fail to see why this should be something included. What’s stopping you from role playing as transgender? How exactly do you see a NPC being incorporated as transgender? How is this important to the Star Wars story?

Master Pat: “My name is Jedi Master Pat. I’m here on direct orders from the Jedi Council. You’re desperately needed to rescue a ship of Padawans which was intercepted by a Sith warship returning from selecting their kaiburr crystals. These Padawans are the future of our order.”

You: “Yes, sir”

Master Pat: “IT’S MA’AM!!!!!!”

(Calm down its a joke)..... How about we demand that the devs focus on putting out a quality Star Wars story with balanced and functioning mechanics and leave the rest to RP and imagination.
Kype Lightwave/Telaan Lightwave -Pot5- "Pistols' RP Apprentice"
Telaan Lightwave Pre-CU Jedi Knight -JKO- Bloodfin
Master LS/Master Healer/Enhancer 4xx4

SteveTheCynic
07.05.2019 , 09:10 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Telaan View Post
How exactly do you see a NPC being incorporated as transgender?
This is the key question.

So, to the people *asking* for this: How exactly are the writers supposed to show a trans NPC as being, well, you know, trans (without adding gratuitous and credibility-deficient dialogue elements)?
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

Endellion
07.06.2019 , 09:35 PM | #27
How someone is incorporated and represented in the game reminds me of something someone said; A vegan, a feminist and someone who is transgender walks into a bar. How do you know? They told you.

Inserting a transgender character there's no problems with that, just including it to be more diverse and having it forced on you is not. Look at all the failed movies that go too deep into identity politics lately.

Belthorian
07.09.2019 , 01:19 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Mubrak View Post
The problem is that the majority of the transgender issues originate from society's reaction to something that shouldn't exist according to their forefathers' holy book of choice. The star wars universe should be beyond that, especially since there are several species with multiple or even just a single gender.

In-universe it should be a non-issue, so making it one doesn't really help the cause. Strive for it to become a non-issue in our society, what's the lesson from constructing a society that is thousands of years ahead, but still has a problem with it? It's pointless and will always be an issue?

Are we sure Lana is actually 100% human female and was born as such? After the fade-to-black, why would our character comment on any "abnormities" when the existence of people on a gender spectrum is not an issue?

It is less about a holy book and more about science. There are two biological genders male and female period. If you think you are something you are not it is called a delusion. If I went around saying I identified as a T-Rex and people should address me as Tyrant Lizard King or I will get offended and call you a Dinophope, people would simply think I am crazy. I personally don't care how someone wants to identify but they have NO RIGHT to expect me to go along with their mental delusions just so I don't offend them.

FlameYOL
07.10.2019 , 08:07 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Belthorian View Post
It is less about a holy book and more about science. There are two biological genders male and female period. If you think you are something you are not it is called a delusion. If I went around saying I identified as a T-Rex and people should address me as Tyrant Lizard King or I will get offended and call you a Dinophope, people would simply think I am crazy. I personally don't care how someone wants to identify but they have NO RIGHT to expect me to go along with their mental delusions just so I don't offend them.
You haven't read much into the actual issue of gender dysphoria, have you?
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

EvanSnowWolf
07.10.2019 , 06:45 PM | #30
Claiming that trans issues are the result of someone's holy book is a reductive argument.

The real issue is, as someone pointed out, how trying to translate a real-world social issue into a Star Wars one doesn't always translate well.

I mean, with the technology available in Star Wars I doubt there are any trans people as we know them at all. You can probably pay someone a truckload of credits and undergo a complete and total gender change down to the cellular level. It'd entirely skip the middleman of trans culture. You'd just have some 14 year old girl with body dysmoprhia and a week later he's a 14 year old boy.
"But you know how it is, cows go moo, dogs go woof, and mmo players go the pvp is unbalanced." - Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw.