Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Transgender Representation in Swtor

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Transgender Representation in Swtor

SteveTheCynic
06.25.2019 , 11:56 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by MadDutchman View Post
Arguably Kaliyo as well (bi in this case)
I'm not going to get into this (I've previously discussed my take on this on multiple occasions and *at*length*), except to note that what I meant was the ability to have a proper romance that's at least kind of accepted. If you're a female non-Agent, Kaliyo fairly firmly (but politely, on a "politely for Kaliyo" scale) turns you down, whereas Lemda (and, I guess, Cytharat) accepts it, even if she's at best luke-warm about it and it goes nowhere afterwards.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

SteveTheCynic
06.25.2019 , 11:57 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by ceryxp View Post
During the pub side Oricon story we hear about a trooper who keeps having visions of killing his husband. During Fallen Empire, we get a letter from a Knight, if we spare them, where he thanks us for letting him go home to his husband.
True, I forgot about them, but I was thinking of the NPCs the player can [Flirt] with rather than reported NPC-NPC romances.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

Mubrak
06.25.2019 , 12:30 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by ceryxp View Post
During the pub side Oricon story we hear about a trooper who keeps having visions of killing his husband. During Fallen Empire, we get a letter from a Knight, if we spare them, where he thanks us for letting him go home to his husband.
Right. I remember the knight's letter now, yes. This is what I meant. it's done subtle - someone thanked me for letting them go back to their spouse, someone else had visions of killing their spouse. The spouse's gender is just a side note in that context. The game doesn't try to emphasize how progressive it is by making a big deal out of it.

This is why I wonder how you would represent much more personal gender issues the same way.
6.0: Do not add that gaudy flashing icon above every vendor's head without an option to turn it off.
Let us sort our companion list and hide or kick out the unwanted ones!

http://www.swtor.com/r/rszTdG

jedimasterjac
06.26.2019 , 01:50 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Mubrak View Post
Right. I remember the knight's letter now, yes. This is what I meant. it's done subtle - someone thanked me for letting them go back to their spouse, someone else had visions of killing their spouse. The spouse's gender is just a side note in that context. The game doesn't try to emphasize how progressive it is by making a big deal out of it.

This is why I wonder how you would represent much more personal gender issues the same way.
I think it's difficult to represent in a tasteful manner; I'm not-so-concerned about "emphasizing" how progressive the game is, per se (Online idiots will always rage about this sort of stuff being "Shoved down throats"), but one's gender and journey through transition is both deeply personal and complicated.

Reflecting that in a game where most conversation's aren't deep or personal just seems like navigating a minefield, as much as I would love to see more positive representation of trans people in media.
Quote: Originally Posted by Grand Master Yoda
We are what they grow beyond. That is the burden of all masters.

KumbayaGOD
06.26.2019 , 11:10 PM | #15
i support this, i awlays want to have my fat bald gunslinger in sensous dress outfit , please make it happen
http://www.swtor.com/r/vczzh2 click here for referal code you you get: FREE TRANSFER , FREE STUFFS, FREE 7 DAYS SUBSCRIPTION, FREE UNLOCK AND MORE

Syroe
06.27.2019 , 04:27 AM | #16
I think there's quite enough Trans representation in SWtoR. Why, with the way conquest works I can get up 20 or more of those Charged Matter Trans...OH. I see what happened there.

In all seriousness, if they want to introduce trans characters they're more than welcome to write them in. Just hope that it's tastefully done and well written.

Darkdust
06.27.2019 , 10:01 AM | #17
The existence of people on a gender spectrum should not be a "contentious issue" because, well, they exist and they even play SWTOR. If you can accept people being able to move starships with their minds and all the other fantastic stuff in Star Wars, and if you can accept that our understanding of the SW universe has changed since 1977, you should be able to accept relatively small changes like this.

Rion_Starkiller
06.27.2019 , 01:25 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by gintheripper View Post
Hi I'd like to start off by saying thanks to the swtor staff and community for their great representation of lgbt characters and choices however speaking as a trans person I am still holding out hoping for the inclusion of a character even a non romanceable one that more directly represents myself and other individuals like me I know it is a bit of a longshot but still I remain forever in hope as I am a huge star war fan and especially a fan of swtor please share your two cents
I think the easiest way of this would be if they allowed new toons to use either model at character creation.
-Beruhl
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Lies have been corrected.

Mubrak
06.28.2019 , 06:53 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Darkdust View Post
The existence of people on a gender spectrum should not be a "contentious issue" because, well, they exist and they even play SWTOR. If you can accept people being able to move starships with their minds and all the other fantastic stuff in Star Wars, and if you can accept that our understanding of the SW universe has changed since 1977, you should be able to accept relatively small changes like this.
The problem is that the majority of the transgender issues originate from society's reaction to something that shouldn't exist according to their forefathers' holy book of choice. The star wars universe should be beyond that, especially since there are several species with multiple or even just a single gender.

In-universe it should be a non-issue, so making it one doesn't really help the cause. Strive for it to become a non-issue in our society, what's the lesson from constructing a society that is thousands of years ahead, but still has a problem with it? It's pointless and will always be an issue?

Are we sure Lana is actually 100% human female and was born as such? After the fade-to-black, why would our character comment on any "abnormities" when the existence of people on a gender spectrum is not an issue?
6.0: Do not add that gaudy flashing icon above every vendor's head without an option to turn it off.
Let us sort our companion list and hide or kick out the unwanted ones!

http://www.swtor.com/r/rszTdG

TonyTricicolo
07.01.2019 , 01:30 PM | #20
Hutts are hermaphrodites. Granted, not the greatest representation of trans-sexuality, but technically they suffice. Scorpio and the Gemini offspring have a feminine chassis however it's only a structure to hold their cpu.
TONY NOVA SWTOR Shadowlands/Star Forge
-STRYDER- SWG Sunrunner/SWGLegends
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/vNnj3G