Cash Shop Purchases: Account Wide or Single Character only?

ZakMan

I would like to see legacy wide stuff but I won't hold my breath. They may start the shop out as single character content then change it legacy wide if sales are low. Or vice versa if sales are high.

I hate to bash EA all the time but we all know what they are like. In EA's eyes if I buy a legacy wide bit of content it's one sale. If I buy content for my main then alt it's two sales. EA and investors are happier with the latter.

Who's to say freebie players will get to have a legacy at all? Won't character slots be limited to 1, maybe 2?

• Dev Post
Whether or not we sell something as a character vs. account unlock will depend on what makes sense for the selected item and/or unlock -- some will be character-based, whereas some will be account-based. Items that are character-based will, in most cases, be transferable to other characters in your legacy. In the case of certain unlocks where it makes sense, we are also looking to allow players to choose -- pay a small fee to unlock a feature for one character, or pay a slightly higher fee to unlock it for all characters on the account. Hopefully, this will allow players to tailor the experience to their own play style.

Whether or not we sell something as a character vs. account unlock will depend on what makes sense for the selected item and/or unlock -- some will be character-based, whereas some will be account-based. Items that are character-based will, in most cases, be transferable to other characters in your legacy. In the case of certain unlocks where it makes sense, we are also looking to allow players to choose -- pay a small fee to unlock a feature for one character, or pay a slightly higher fee to unlock it for all characters on the account. Hopefully, this will allow players to tailor the experience to their own play style.

Will HK-51 be a Cash Shop companion, or will it be as originally said, some big Quest, needing chars on both sides?

Any Devs patrolling the forums care to answer this?

Or do any forum posters know the answer with evidence to back it up?

It would depend I guess.

Maybe pets and such would be account.

Where as gear, buffs, unlocks and such per character?

I'm sure there will be both types.

Items for only that character, and items only for that legacy.

They could sell a speeder for $5 and make it legacy-wide,but nothing is stopping them from pumping out a different colored speeder for another $5.

Or a double XP buff that lasts for 2 hours,but is only for the character that buys it.

etc...

this is what I'm thinking.

Access to things like speeders or flashpoints and ops would be account wide but vanity items like some orange social gear would be character specific.

Ohh... this was interesting. Thanks for the info Schubert :)

The statement in red makes me wonder if legacy level is going to mean anything or if they will even entertain my proposal for Sliding Scale Legacy Unlocks ( see my sig). :(

Edited by Urael

EQ2's shop is the one I have the most familiarity with, hopefully EA/BW will take a look at it and use it as a starting point.

As to what will be account wide vs per character:

Its doubtful that there will be inexpensive things that are account wide, and things that you probably would want to have a tiered version of:

Account Wide Access to Operations, or per character?

Account Wide unlimited access to PvP or per character?

Pets and Speeders will most assuredly be per character, Adaptive Clothing and Armors too. Then they can sell you the Bank Vault expander per character as well. Just not sure how much vanity stuff we can carry...

EQ2 has 3 subscription levels as well - Bronze (completely free), Silver (one time fee for some significant unlocks), and Gold (paid monthly subscriptions).

Bronze you get 2 characters, no access to chat (read but not type into them), buy from the GTN but you have to use Station Cash (Cartel Coins) to post things for sale. Limited as to what types of gear you can wear - basically you could only have green mods in your orange armors. Very Limited bank space AND credits you can have per character (x armount per level). Class and Race restrictions too, but class unlocks and Race packs can be purchased thru the store.

Silver gets you 4 characters access to chat, bigger bank space and a bigger credit limit (5x amount per level). Still have limited gear options (you can purchase unlocks for SC (CC) but thats for the piece of gear - not the slot. Upgrade the gear and you'll have to use an unlocker again. Same limits apply to the GTN. Class and Race restrictions apply.

Gold removes gear restrictions - adds more character slots, and removes the limit on the amount of credits you can have. No limits on GTN postings either. No class or race restrictions.

EQ2 worked with a F2P server for about 2 years before they converted the entire game (8+ yrs old now). They've made quite a few changes in their shop - most for the better.

In the case of certain unlocks where it makes sense, we are also looking to allow players to choose -- pay a small fee to unlock a feature for one character, or pay a slightly higher fee to unlock it for all characters on the account. Hopefully, this will allow players to tailor the experience to their own play style.

This is by far the best way to do things, please plan it this way.

Just like I said.

I'm pretty sure it will depend on what you're buying.

• Character Rename - obviously single character.

• Non-combat Pet - account wide

• XP boost - single character

• Special Outfit - account wide

Of course, this is all conjecture. We won't know until they release it.

The items listed are still conjecture, of course.

:cool:

how come this doesnt occur with legacy, with things such as crafting, travel, etc. i can understand the xp perks being character specific since someone may want to do something else with a certain class but the others pretty much benefit everyone

***! If I have to pay real money for something, it better be account wide. In game credits is one thing for legacy unlcoks, but this is bull$hIt

Will subscription players have to pay to get these shop items aswell?

Will HK-51 be a Cash Shop companion, or will it be as originally said, some big Quest, needing chars on both sides?

I think many of you have never been in a game with the hybrid Free To Play as coinned by Turbine. The difference between the old free to play mmo system (commonly known as the asian free to play system) and the new hybrid that was started with Turbines Dungeons and Dragons Online is that nothing on the store is a MUST buy to get situation with the exception of vanity (and after the first 6 months Turbine even did away with that making all items on store have a 2% drop rate as random drops)

There is no reason for them to stop development that was already in progress for this HK-51 droid questing. Will HK-51 be a unlock sold in store for people who dont have enough character slots to waste on a pub character ? Damd i sure hope so i cant stand pub classes personally. BUT it will still be available in game without purchase in real funds via the quest cycle its designed to be made available through.

Dont need to work for bioware to know that ....

Translation= We don't currently have anything in place yet, in fact we have no developers left. We are gonna drag this out as long as possible, then the game will fold.

Nothing in life is free, least of all free to play games.

I beg to differ in some regard.

I have played many free to play mmos ... mainly as second or third games just to do something when waiting for new content. Many of which i had absolutely no problem never spending a dime on (9dragons dispite being completely outdated now i capped a character without buying anything and it was really fun until you got into the over populated areas when the grind really kicks in) Also in DDO .. after purchasing the content packs which cost me about 180$ at the time ... i didnt pay a dime again had enough stored up points from when i was subbed (they gave people who had stuck around since beta a wackload of points) so i was still able to buy stuff i wanted without ever spending a dime .. i think i did resub once for 3 months during a special 1000 points per month promotion they did ... but aside from that never spent a dime and never felt the need i had too.

so much free content and easy to earn points (in that game not to say it will be that way here but in DDO you could earn points by playing new characters and unlocking favor points aka achievements) that i never paid for anything other then content unlocks "IF" they where end game content (again that game is a million times different then this one in make up ... instead of legacy system they have a past life system which means you level to cap several times for min maxing purposes)

Free to play games are free to play ... that is why they are called free to play ... the problem is we are in a consumer driven world ... and its hard to see that you can spend 5$ on some cool looking vanity helmet and not spend it.

you dont NEED to spend a dime ... but you will because your vain ... not because the game isnt really free to play.

So basically it will be character only for all items

Free to play games are free to play ... that is why they are called free to play ... the problem is we are in a consumer driven world ... and its hard to see that you can spend 5$ on some cool looking vanity helmet and not spend it.

you dont NEED to spend a dime ... but you will because your vain ... not because the game isnt really free to play.

No game is ever free to play, because no Dev is a Charity Fund. They only present you a grindy game, in which you need to pay premium, or buy boosts. Or stay and grind your brains out, like its 2003 all over again.

And it doesn`t say anywhere it will be like Turbine`s. So, my question is relevant: HK might be EXCLUSIVE to Cash Shop, just as it can be acquired in both, just as it can be EXCLUSIVE to the game, in terms of quest. I only asked if the original "rule" changed, with the new F2P addon. L2R and spare me the sermon, please.

Edited by Styxx