Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Class/Specialization Questions (in Certain Situations)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Class/Specialization Questions (in Certain Situations)

Kalirs
06.30.2014 , 10:07 AM | #1
Of course this may be more opinion based, but I am looking for classes/specs under these categories which may be considered "best" given the circumstances...

-Best class/spec to duel?
-Best class/spec in PVP to dish out damage while maintaining survivability?
-Best class/spec for PVE/PVP heals?
-Best class/spec to be that one guy who runs ahead of the team, clearing out enemies with speed and survivability?
-Best class/spec you personally like most?

Again these are more opinion based, but I am looking to see what warrants these opinions as well. Such as, please tell me why sorc/sage is considered best class to heal. Don't just say "sorc is OP heals". Thanks in advance, all!

Ryuku-sama
06.30.2014 , 01:47 PM | #2
-Best class/spec to duel? Slinger Sharpshooter, Scrapper Op, Deception Shadow. Two have stealth which makes them the best in duel. Slinger?? I played SS fo a long while and can utterly destroy melee. Ranged and stealther can be quite a problem, but with Hunker Down, you can avoid CC and just burn through you opponent without problem while forcing him away with knockbacks and root/slow.
-Best class/spec in PVP to dish out damage while maintaining survivability? Vigilence Guardian. They have the best DCD outside of tanks (and better than the vanguard's ones).
-Best class/spec for PVE/PVP heals? Operative. Stealth, vanish and lolroll make them hard to shut down.
-Best class/spec to be that one guy who runs ahead of the team, clearing out enemies with speed and survivability? None. Any class, without support, will die if outnumbered.
-Best class/spec you personally like most? I like every spec I have played so far.
"If it wasn't broken, we shall break it. If it is balanced, we shall beat it until slow and painful death follows. If it is overpowered, it is working as intended." - Bioware 2015

Kalirs
06.30.2014 , 02:01 PM | #3
Alright, let me try to get a grasp on this.

For Scoundrels and Opd I always got the feeling they are losing potential in PVP, as well as snipers/slingers. They are still around, but it is more common to see a force-wielder than a wielder with a gun (minus healers). Could you shed any light on this?
As for Guardian/Jugg with Vigil/Veng, I have a Jugg Veangeance (same as vigilance) in the 30's , and have liked him so far. He seems overall a great asset to both PVE (as an off-tank) and to PVP as an off-tank to stick to enemies hard.

Now my question for you is: should I be building defensive items as I am taking a DPS tree or should I stick to DPS items as well?

Ryuku-sama
06.30.2014 , 03:56 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Kalirs View Post
Alright, let me try to get a grasp on this.

For Scoundrels and Opd I always got the feeling they are losing potential in PVP, as well as snipers/slingers. They are still around, but it is more common to see a force-wielder than a wielder with a gun (minus healers). Could you shed any light on this?
As for Guardian/Jugg with Vigil/Veng, I have a Jugg Veangeance (same as vigilance) in the 30's , and have liked him so far. He seems overall a great asset to both PVE (as an off-tank) and to PVP as an off-tank to stick to enemies hard.

Now my question for you is: should I be building defensive items as I am taking a DPS tree or should I stick to DPS items as well?
Vigi may look 'tanky' but is far from an off-tank in PvE.... In PvP it is 'tanky' but you shouldn't take tank gear... Your tankiness comes from your DCDs, not your gear. Gear as a DPS (main stat, 1% accuracy from gear since you get 4% from tree/comp, then power/surge/critin proportion i don't know) for PvP. And there is excellent guide on Dulfy for PvE.

Scound are losing potential, but not that much. Shadow can do Scrapper job better. True. But Scrapper can kill long after Shadow is reduced to hit with his wet noodle. Deception's opener is more powerful than Scrapper's one. But Scrapper's sustained is better. CC is better on Shadow, except for their 8-sec mezz. Scound get an AoE, Shadow's is single target. Shadow's DCD are better.

Slinger are hard to play. Simple. Slinger is a turret class. PvP need mobility. But slinger havein fact plenty of mobility. They are one of the best ballcarrier in huttball right now with their new buff to Hunker Down. They can utterly destroy any melee when Mando and Sage get shut down hard.
"If it wasn't broken, we shall break it. If it is balanced, we shall beat it until slow and painful death follows. If it is overpowered, it is working as intended." - Bioware 2015

Kalirs
07.01.2014 , 08:17 AM | #5
Concealment Op sounds like it would be fun, but how viable is it in PVP and PVE? In PVP is it get one kills then hope to survive? In PVE are you reliant on companion for tank/heal? Lastly, what class do you most enjoy/use on your main toon?

Any other opinions for main questions are still welcome.

Ryuku-sama
07.01.2014 , 12:00 PM | #6
Concealment Op sounds like it would be fun, but how viable is it in PVP and PVE? In PVP is it get one kills then hope to survive? In PVE are you reliant on companion for tank/heal? Lastly, what class do you most enjoy/use on your main toon?

Any other opinions for main questions are still welcome.
In PvE it's one of the highest parsing class... in PvP you die really often and don,t do good. You gotta play objectives...

Adaliaya
07.01.2014 , 12:09 PM | #7
For Duel: Sharpshooter Slinger against melee, Shadow against Scoundrel, Guardian, Vanguard, Sent against Sage, Shadow, Commando
For clearing ahead: Vanguard
Healing PvE: I like Sage a lot
Durable PvP DPS: Guardian

EDIT: Please note, just my preference and I am total noob when it comes to PvP/Duels

Kalirs
07.02.2014 , 07:25 AM | #8
So is it safe to assume DPS Op is dead for now in PVP?

Also, I am now looking at both the sorc and sin (sage/shadow). I have a feeling the sin would be a better choice by far for PVP with the exception of they are weak after they lose their burst. How much will losing their burst effect their survivability? (Is it possible to burst, run, repeat?) For sorc, how viable are they in PVP now as DPS with the "new" madness tree buff?

In war zones, I tend to stick with the team while going off now and then to capture objectives. Are there classes that specialize in that, or classes that are more an "objective hunter"?

Ryuku-sama
07.02.2014 , 05:11 PM | #9
So is it safe to assume DPS Op is dead for now in PVP?

Also, I am now looking at both the sorc and sin (sage/shadow). I have a feeling the sin would be a better choice by far for PVP with the exception of they are weak after they lose their burst. How much will losing their burst effect their survivability? (Is it possible to burst, run, repeat?) For sorc, how viable are they in PVP now as DPS with the "new" madness tree buff?

In war zones, I tend to stick with the team while going off now and then to capture objectives. Are there classes that specialize in that, or classes that are more an "objective hunter"?
OP is still good in regs... It's **** in ranked tho. Anyone with a little skill can negate your alpha. Madness sin is awesome right now. Great DPS and great survivability. And madness sin would probably fit you well.. it isn't the best objectives hunter but is good enough to stealth cap.

Kalirs
07.02.2014 , 09:21 PM | #10
Interesting. One last thing then as far as inquisitors go: what are the pros and cons of madness sin and madness sorc?