Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

4k resolution makes "skinny" character

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
4k resolution makes "skinny" character

Soljin's Avatar


Soljin
04.03.2019 , 06:04 PM | #21
The only way I have found to fix this is to go to Nvidia panel, then to adjust desktop size and position. enable desktop resizing on the "Size" tab and adjust your screen height to about half way on the slider. This will make your characters "normal" in SWToR but you will have the black bars on the top and bottom of your screen. Kind of like the old widescreen effect on standard TVs.

Other than that I have had zero luck in sorting this out on my 4k curve screen TV and I'm running a 1080 TI. Downside is that you have to change it back when not playing SWToR because every other game I have played doesn't have this problem.
I want my SWG...
#Remove RnG
Refer a friend link: http://www.swtor.com/r/rqkzQz

DarthVengeant's Avatar


DarthVengeant
04.04.2019 , 09:20 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
When you say you lose 5% of the left side, do you think this is an "Overscan" setting? See this article from CNET describing it: https://www.cnet.com/news/overscan-y...re-on-your-tv/. In other words, perhaps there is a setting on your TV that you can adjust.

Not sure about the vibrancy, but if you can figure out the overscan issue, from there you can mess around with brightness/gamma/contrast settings.
My 4K TV is 3840 x 2160, so the problem with setting the game to 4096x2160 is that is bigger than my screen. That is why the 5% loss of SWTOR's image on the left side. Setting the game to 4096x2160 is bigger than my TV screen.

As I read in another thread, it is the problem with the GAME, not our TV's. The game has a problem with 3840 x 2160 and still thinks it is 4096x2160, which is why the "skinny character.

Quote: Originally Posted by Soljin View Post
The only way I have found to fix this is to go to Nvidia panel, then to adjust desktop size and position. enable desktop resizing on the "Size" tab and adjust your screen height to about half way on the slider. This will make your characters "normal" in SWToR but you will have the black bars on the top and bottom of your screen. Kind of like the old widescreen effect on standard TVs.

Other than that I have had zero luck in sorting this out on my 4k curve screen TV and I'm running a 1080 TI. Downside is that you have to change it back when not playing SWToR because every other game I have played doesn't have this problem.
I will give that a try. But, I hope setting it back each time is not a problem or screws anything up.

SteveTheCynic's Avatar


SteveTheCynic
04.04.2019 , 10:29 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthVengeant View Post
As I read in another thread, it is the problem with the GAME, not our TV's. The game has a problem with 3840 x 2160 and still thinks it is 4096x2160, which is why the "skinny character.
And yet on my 3840x2160 screen (admittedly not a TV, but that resolution nontheless(1)), the game thinks it is using 3840x2160, and operates normally.

So yes, it *is* your TV. The game supports 3840x2160 just fine. If the TV is declaring a resolution that's wider than its native resolution (but not correspondingly taller) *it* is buggy, not the game.

(1) Connected via DisplayPort, if that makes a difference.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

DarthVengeant's Avatar


DarthVengeant
07.19.2019 , 03:13 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
And yet on my 3840x2160 screen (admittedly not a TV, but that resolution nontheless(1)), the game thinks it is using 3840x2160, and operates normally.

So yes, it *is* your TV. The game supports 3840x2160 just fine. If the TV is declaring a resolution that's wider than its native resolution (but not correspondingly taller) *it* is buggy, not the game.

(1) Connected via DisplayPort, if that makes a difference.
Display Port is a lower quality port. Most everyone uses HDMI these days. Furthermore, my 4K TV does not HAVE a "Display Port" because it is a high resolution 4K HDTV, not a monitor.

Btw, I have a fresh Windows 10 install with brand new Nvidia drivers. The game still does the same thing. My TV is fine, it is SWTOR that is the problem. How do I know? Because my others games do NOT have this problem. If it was my TV other games and Steam, etc would have this issue.

SteveTheCynic's Avatar


SteveTheCynic
07.19.2019 , 05:26 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthVengeant View Post
Display Port is a lower quality port. Most everyone uses HDMI these days. Furthermore, my 4K TV does not HAVE a "Display Port" because it is a high resolution 4K HDTV, not a monitor.
"DisplayPort" (one word), not "Display Port" (two words), which is a newer standard than HDMI, and capable of a *lot* more than HDMI can do.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

SteveTheCynic's Avatar


SteveTheCynic
07.19.2019 , 06:02 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthVengeant View Post
Btw, I have a fresh Windows 10 install with brand new Nvidia drivers. The game still does the same thing. My TV is fine, it is SWTOR that is the problem. How do I know? Because my others games do NOT have this problem. If it was my TV other games and Steam, etc would have this issue.
All you know is that the *combination* of SWTOR and your TV is problematic. You don't know which one is more at fault.

My best guess is that your TV doesn't have exactly square pixels (that's not a fault in any way(1)), and SWTOR isn't correctly taking into account the declared and/or true *pixel* aspect ratio (which *is* exactly square in my case).

So OK, yes, on that basis, it's a *fault* in SWTOR's interpretation of the display data, but one that's only seen on displays with non-square pixels. Sorry for the earlier confusion.

(1) A long while ago, there were screens which did 1280x1024 (5:4) pixels in a 4:3 physical format, and the EDID specifications list a huge variety of really goofy non-square pixel display configurations, all of which are there because some manufacturer or other built a display like that.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

Chelan's Avatar


Chelan
07.19.2019 , 08:17 AM | #27
Try going to the NVIDIA Control Panel and under Display go to Adjust desktop size and position.

Under Scaling tab on No. 2 pick either Aspect ratio or No scaling (not Full-screen in the middle), Apply and see if anything changes in SWTOR. But also check if you are still using the Fullscreen setting in-game and not Fullscreen Window or Windowed.

OwenBrooks's Avatar


OwenBrooks
07.19.2019 , 07:45 PM | #28
The next thing is to use CRU as I mentioned previously at https://www.swtor.com/community/show...1&postcount=18

EDID in TVs is known to not always be correct , swtor for what ever reason is reading this incorrect data and yes i wish it didnt read the edid side but rather just current resolution

Different monitor should behave fine too

Celise's Avatar


Celise
07.20.2019 , 12:03 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by ShieldProtection View Post
This game uses nearly 10 years old engine and you using a 4K screen in this game,

so whats your point?
The engine is a lot older than that, adjustments were made to it in 2007 when work first started with that engine for SWTOR, 4 years later and SWTOR launched. This particular engine was released in 2004. So it isn't a great surprised that the graphics are a bit dated. Still, the engine was well ahead of it's time for something from 2004 with adjustments made, but as newer better engines come out these days the Hero engine is looking decidedly stone age in technology terms compared to some of these new engines with capabilities most kids crave these days.

I'm half way surprised this engine can run 4K but also half way not if the people who code the engine are right on the money when it comes to Bioware asking for specific changes made. Ofcourse the Hero engine has changed hands in ownership over the years as well.