Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Kira return thread

IoNonSoEVero
12.17.2018 , 11:10 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Estelindis View Post
Oh yes, that was maddening. The Dark Jaesa mission was on the PTS and I gave feedback about that aspect of the writing, but no. I guess they didn't want our opinions about that.
Ah, I didn't see that - that was great feedback. Someone else mentioned somewhere that all of the companions are in the scenes that open SoR, and you're all going to Rishi together, which would imply they've met Lana and Theron.

Those moments where Lana and the companions haven't recognized each other have been so frustrating. Nadia's..."Is that lady a Sith?" Yes, Nadia. She is. YOU MET HER BEFORE. *headdesk*

Estelindis
12.17.2018 , 11:14 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by IoNonSoEVero View Post
Those moments where Lana and the companions haven't recognized each other have been so frustrating. Nadia's..."Is that lady a Sith?" Yes, Nadia. She is. YOU MET HER BEFORE. *headdesk*
Couldn't agree more. I know some people have said that BW can't make assumptions about which character we have "out" with us when doing missions, but I've always seen that as an artificial gameplay issue that shouldn't be reflected in the story. Except for balance issues, nothing really prevents the whole crew of any class from all going into the field together. And for at least one crew, Havoc Squad, it actually makes sense for them to do this a lot of the time storywise. As such, I think assuming any character wasn't there makes far less sense.
|| My referral link || Trask Ulgo > The Progenitor > Darth Malgus ||
Satisfying returns for class companions!
Especially companions of the long-neglected consular...
~~~Felix Iresso return discussion & fanfic~~~

IoNonSoEVero
12.17.2018 , 11:27 PM | #23
Couldn't agree more. I know some people have said that BW can't make assumptions about which character we have "out" with us when doing missions, but I've always seen that as an artificial gameplay issue that shouldn't be reflected in the story. Except for balance issues, nothing really prevents the whole crew of any class from all going into the field together. And for at least one crew, Havoc Squad, it actually makes sense for them to do this a lot of the time storywise. As such, I think assuming any character wasn't there makes far less sense.
I agree. I feel that since the whole crew is seen traveling to Rishi, the romanced characters all have barks on Rishi and Yavin 4, and one or two of the class companions have roles in the Rishi class quests (Talos with the SI), it can be presumed that they were all in attendance. And as you say, for groups like Havoc Squad it makes sense for them to be out there all together.

It drove me nuts with some of the older Alliance Alerts that neither Lana nor Theron mentioned when they were directing you to recruit your own companions, like Pierce for Sith Warriors. Raina Temple's KOTFE letter even mentions Lana by name, but when she shows up before Copero, there's zero recognition. *facepalm*

Estelindis
12.17.2018 , 11:33 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by IoNonSoEVero View Post
It drove me nuts with some of the older Alliance Alerts that neither Lana nor Theron mentioned when they were directing you to recruit your own companions, like Pierce for Sith Warriors. Raina Temple's KOTFE letter even mentions Lana by name, but when she shows up before Copero, there's zero recognition. *facepalm*
What annoyed me most was that we're supposed to believe Lana and Theron are searching diligently for our companions, yet they don't always recognise those companions when they see them. I actually find this even worse than our companions not recognising Lana and Theron (though frankly this is bad enough). Even if we imagine that somehow they didn't meet on Rishi, Yavin, or Ziost, Lana and Theron would surely have perused our companions' dossiers in their efforts to track them down. But no: on Iokath, Lana has "captured these assassins." Facepalm indeed! I seem to recall you saying you interpret this line from Lana sardonically, but to me it comes across in exactly the same tone as the non-recognition from Jaesa and Nadia. I think it's all just unfortunate writing.
|| My referral link || Trask Ulgo > The Progenitor > Darth Malgus ||
Satisfying returns for class companions!
Especially companions of the long-neglected consular...
~~~Felix Iresso return discussion & fanfic~~~

IoNonSoEVero
12.17.2018 , 11:44 PM | #25
What annoyed me most was that we're supposed to believe Lana and Theron are searching diligently for our companions, yet they don't always recognise those companions when they see them. I actually find this even worse than our companions not recognising Lana and Theron (though frankly this is bad enough). Even if we imagine that somehow they didn't meet on Rishi, Yavin, or Ziost, Lana and Theron would surely have perused our companions' dossiers in their efforts to track them down. But no: on Iokath, Lana has "captured these assassins." Facepalm indeed! I seem to recall you saying you interpret this line from Lana sardonically, but to me it comes across in exactly the same tone as the non-recognition from Jaesa and Nadia. I think it's all just unfortunate writing.
Yeah, it is all unfortunate writing, and you're right. Lana and Theron both worked in intelligence agencies, of course they would have had dossiers on the PC's crew. Plus Lana worked in the military sphere with Darth Arkous so she would have had some familiarity with the Imperial military's officers, and Theron knew some of the Jedi. There's no reason they would not have instantly known the PC's companions.

I head canon the 'assassins' comment from Lana as being sardonic because my PC would have seen Quinn as an assassin, but in reality, yeah, it does come across the same way. No reason for it, or for Lana to not recognize Quinn or Elara if that's the PC's class companion.

Asmodesu
12.18.2018 , 12:08 AM | #26
I think Theron recognises two returning companions. Aric, and Kaliyo (mentions them being part of the crew if with the corresponding class) I was rather confused they didn't recognise any others however... it's obvious they both had dossiers, and files and everything on everything to do with the player-characters, whatever their class.
Always a Theron fan!
Member of the Order of Zildrog - Theron Protection Agency
Safaia - a melodramatic sith, Revanite and Wrath

Nefla
12.18.2018 , 12:20 AM | #27
It doesn't matter what way they return non-Lana companion #36 and non-Lana companion #17, they are not Lana and therefore will get no screen time after their return regardless of if they are returned in a cheap 2 minute alert or a 2 hour recruitment chapter.

Lium
12.18.2018 , 12:52 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Nefla View Post
It doesn't matter what way they return non-Lana companion #36 and non-Lana companion #17, they are not Lana and therefore will get no screen time after their return regardless of if they are returned in a cheap 2 minute alert or a 2 hour recruitment chapter.
Unfortunately, this.

Companions aren't going to be part of any new story content going forward. They actually haven't been since the end of your class story. You could have your LI standing right next to you while you openly flirted with Lana or Theron during SOR and they wouldn't react. Same thing on Makeb.

This is one of those things that BW probably wished they could have done differently. Companions were a great concept on paper, but a total pain to manage in any content beyond the initial three-chapter class story. Even if BW had a full staff and a very large budget to work with on this game, it would still be a ton of work.

In hindsight, they probably wouldn't have had companions at all.

denavin
12.18.2018 , 03:57 PM | #29
Charles said the bad word.... "Chapter"

Well I say yes make Kira and Scourge's return a "Chapter"... There I said the "C" word.
But I think most people want it too. They want their return to be meaning full, to have a story, to tell us about what they have been up to and why. Not a simple... " Hi, How Have you Been. Oh Great Lets GO." and done. NO!

So Yes
Make It A Chapter......
HK-55: "Do you think she passed her test?"
Z0-OM: "According to my sensors.... NO
."

IoNonSoEVero
12.18.2018 , 06:22 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by denavin View Post
Charles said the bad word.... "Chapter"

Well I say yes make Kira and Scourge's return a "Chapter"... There I said the "C" word.
But I think most people want it too. They want their return to be meaning full, to have a story, to tell us about what they have been up to and why. Not a simple... " Hi, How Have you Been. Oh Great Lets GO." and done. NO!

So Yes
Make It A Chapter......
Kira and Scourge would make the most sense to get a chapter. Whatever they've been up to, it might be something the Commander could be involved in now.